JUCO LB Caleb Johnson

texifornia

On 12/18/2018 at 1:46 AM, Napoleon said:

(QUESTION: What was his injury again? I'd spaced it until I read the Roach review.)

I think it was a shoulder injury. Not sure what kind or how severe though - just that he missed the whole season.

Edit: apparently a small tear that necessitated surgery: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-15th/

Edited by campcrunk
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I think it was a shoulder injury. Not sure what kind or how severe though - just that he missed the whole season.

Edit: apparently a small tear that necessitated surgery: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/10/open-post-monday-october-15th/

Thanks

I saw somewhere that it was a "labrum" tear after I had originally posted. I then looked that up on the google and it appears that it can be in the shoulder or the hip. Some kind of cartilage tearing from the bone in a joint socket. (Something that I would probably never recover from, but I'm not 20 anymore.)

I didn't know if it was shoulder or hip, nor did I know which one was worse. This article helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I won’t repeat any poorly substantiated rumors about this guy. I will say that he is at risk never to get back to pre-injury performance levels. I don’t know whether he had anything else done at the same time he had labral repair (trimming out of any shredded bits, for example). Depending on whose numbers you trust, the return percentage at previous performance level is probably over 60, less than 90. I hope and think there’s a good chance we see him contribute good minutes for us, but this is an injury well known to shorten the average playing career. The biceps anchors on the labrum, and if the healing isn’t great from sewing it back down, that force can lead to long-term problems. In age 50+ patients, it is fairly common just to cut the biceps tendon rather than worry about trying to get the labrum well enough to anchor it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

I won’t repeat any poorly substantiated rumors about this guy. I will say that he is at risk never to get back to pre-injury performance levels. I don’t know whether he had anything else done at the same time he had labral repair (trimming out of any shredded bits, for example). Depending on whose numbers you trust, the return percentage at previous performance level is probably over 60, less than 90. I hope and think there’s a good chance we see him contribute good minutes for us, but this is an injury well known to shorten the average playing career. The biceps anchors on the labrum, and if the healing isn’t great from sewing it back down, that force can lead to long-term problems. In age 50+ patients, it is fairly common just to cut the biceps tendon rather than worry about trying to get the labrum well enough to anchor it.

Sorry for bringing another player into this, but didn't Caldwell have the same injury?

13 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I had this surgery a few years ago from a deployment injury and my shoulder has felt better than ever. I’ve had zero issues with while lifting, playing ball year round in multiple bball/ff leagues. 

Now I know the constant hitting on his shoulder will disrupt whatever he had done but hopefully his suture anchors do their job and he can give us quality pt. 

2 hours ago, ChingoHorns said:

I had this surgery a few years ago from a deployment injury and my shoulder has felt better than ever. I’ve had zero issues with while lifting, playing ball year round in multiple bball/ff leagues. 

Now I know the constant hitting on his shoulder will disrupt whatever he had done but hopefully his suture anchors do their job and he can give us quality pt. 

Those fantasy football leagues are the real test. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tillman had already passed him as well.

Tillman and Mitchell will be the starters next year IMO if Floyd isn't able to return.

Yeah I’d forgotten about Tillman. Johnson was always a contingency plan so it’s good to hear we didn’t need one.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Eh, he was the far higher-touted of our two Jucos - lot of "next Gary Johnson" hype because of his speed. Sucks he busted, he has the basic tools.

Well if he wasn’t gonna break the 2 deep we might as well free up the scholarship