2019 Surly Death Pool

Wally Fairway

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Well shit.  Man I'll miss him.  The nicest guy you can imagine (yeah I met him).

He was fucking talented as shit, too.  Played folk guitar/banjo etc. for 10 years before becoming a Monkee.  He could also play keys pretty well and bass.  He ended up playing a lot of stuff on their later albums (the Monkees' members were always talented musicians, it's a total fucking fake bullshit that they didn't play on their early albums "because they didn't know how to."  They were essentially ordered to let session musicians come in, and for your first album, they didn't have a lot of rights - yet.)  Dolenz grew up playing guitar, Jones had an impressive stage career as a singer in musicals, and of course Nesmith speaks for himself.  They were as talented as almost any group back in the late 60's.  But they were already doomed as teen pop stars, although some of their later stuff was pretty cool.

Anyway, RIP, Mr. Thorkleson.  You made a lot of people really happy to be alive.  I was one of them.

Cheer up, PHD.  Oh what can it mean?  To a Frankie believer, and a storm tracking king.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Well shit.  Man I'll miss him.  The nicest guy you can imagine (yeah I met him).

He was fucking talented as shit, too.  Played folk guitar/banjo etc. for 10 years before becoming a Monkee.  He could also play keys pretty well and bass.  He ended up playing a lot of stuff on their later albums (the Monkees' members were always talented musicians, it's a total fucking fake bullshit that they didn't play on their early albums "because they didn't know how to."  They were essentially ordered to let session musicians come in, and for your first album, they didn't have a lot of rights - yet.)  Dolenz grew up playing guitar, Jones had an impressive stage career as a singer in musicals, and of course Nesmith speaks for himself.  They were as talented as almost any group back in the late 60's.  But they were already doomed as teen pop stars, although some of their later stuff was pretty cool.

Anyway, RIP, Mr. Thorkleson.  You made a lot of people really happy to be alive.  I was one of them.

He was in that doc "The Wrecking Crew" and talked about how he brought his guitars and equipment in to record the album, only to be told he wasn't playing. He didn't seem too upset, he said those guys were badasses but I bet he was pretty salty when it happened and I wouldn't blame him.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:48 PM, Sandman said:

He was in that doc "The Wrecking Crew" and talked about how he brought his guitars and equipment in to record the album, only to be told he wasn't playing. He didn't seem too upset, he said those guys were badasses but I bet he was pretty salty when it happened and I wouldn't blame him.

I imagine that in show business, the main point is about being paid for a gig.  If they want to pay you while others play, I’m sure most are happy about it.

On 2/21/2019 at 1:59 PM, ztejas said:

Good site btw if anyone wants to check every so often in case we missed one:

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths

Followed the link and the first story was a comedian committing suicide. http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/notable-deaths/article/brody-stevens-1970-2019-comedian

i had actually just thought of this guy over the weekend.  Saw him on a SXSW comedy show in 2010 or 11. He had a strange act where he just insulted the crowd in how much better he was than all of us. It fell fairly flat but I recall some of the other comedians were falling down laughing. Had forgotten his name but his act was memorable.

This one almost slipped by. RIP Boss Godfrey.

Morgan%20Woodward%20in%20Cool%20Hand%20L

Longtime friends of actor, pilot, and all around cool cowboy Morgan Woodward are reporting his death today at age 93. Appeared on Star Trek twice, was Elder Morgan on Logan's Run and over 200 appearances on film/TV. 

Woodward was born in Fort Worth in 1925. In 1948, he graduated from North Texas Agriculture College and was named a UTA Distinguished Alumni in 1969.

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

You do understand how this game is scored, right?! 

Yeah, extra points for the old fat guy who has been annoyingly hanging on for an 18 extra years (so far)  thanks to the miracles of modern medicine . 😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I believe wishing death on a poster is a bannable offense.

What that rule didn’t consider was a poster wishing the sweet release of it on himself.

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I believe wishing death on a poster is a bannable offense.

What that rule didn’t consider was a poster wishing the sweet release of it on himself.

As is double posting .... should I tell you again?