Favorite Christmas movies

UTCzech III

I've been hitting the classics with my kids this year.  They've seen some of them, but not all.

So last night we did Holiday Inn and it's probably been 20+ years since I saw that one.  Which means I'd completely forgotten about that one scene and my 15yo daughter just stared on in horror and exclaimed "OH NO THEY DIDN'T!!!!"

We then had an uncomfortable conversation about race relations past and present. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Home Alone hot takes

- Catherine O’Hara is milfish in 1. Cuts her hair in some early Karen bob in 2. I’m out.

- I go back and forth. 2 really has no plot, but all the cool New York stuff blew my f***ing mind as a young lad. I was preparing a hunger strike if I didn’t get a Talkboy for Christmas.  Really well scored as well.

- I think McAllisters at home for Christmas could have been a great film. Buzz beating the shit out Kevin. Fuller pissing all over everything. Uncle Frank chiseling his way out of dinner checks. 

- The view from LaGuardia is physically impossible, but my goodness what a panoramic shot. 

- Not buying a New York based game show is putting guests up at the Plaza. Even in the 90s. 

- Not enough John Candy in 1. I know he was on set for like a day, but some more Candy - O’Hara scenes would have been great. 

- NBC running 1 every Thanksgiving night should have been made into federal law. I almost miss the commercial breaks when I watch it on streaming. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Home Alone hot takes

- Catherine O’Hara is milfish in 1. Cuts her hair in some early Karen bob in 2. I’m out.

- I go back and forth. 2 really has no plot, but all the cool New York stuff blew my f***ing mind as a young lad. I was preparing a hunger strike if I didn’t get a Talkboy for Christmas.  Really well scored as well.

- I think McAllisters at home for Christmas could have been a great film. Buzz beating the shit out Kevin. Fuller pissing all over everything. Uncle Frank chiseling his way out of dinner checks. 

- The view from LaGuardia is physically impossible, but my goodness what a panoramic shot. 

- Not buying a New York based game show is putting guests up at the Plaza. Even in the 90s. 

- Not enough John Candy in 1. I know he was on set for like a day, but some more Candy - O’Hara scenes would have been great. 

- NBC running 1 every Thanksgiving night should have been made into federal law. I almost miss the commercial breaks when I watch it on streaming. 

Awesome, now do home alone 3. 

This is probably a good "unpopular opinion" as well, but Home Alone has NOT aged well.

Tried to watch this the other day with the family and for being PG, it didn't feel very family friendly. And I'm not talking about the hijinks of Kevin getting the criminals with physical harm which was warranted and awesome.

Kevin was right and I actually felt bad for him because of the emotional abuse: the family is cruel, they use horrible language with each other, the parents are awful to the children, and it's just a disgusting family dynamic that made my heart hurt. Maybe this is how it was in the 90's and we've gotten better as families and a society, but it was very problematic to watch and we as a family all agreed to turn it off:

• If my brother ever yelled at my son and called him a jerk, we are going to have some serious problems. Much less a parent ever calling their kids inflammatory and derogatory names.
  • The Mom being awful to her son was gross
  • A child of Kevin's age emoting "I hate you!" screams a lack of emotional development up to this point
  • Kids bullying one another and being ugly to one another and parents not being present or aware enough to change the behaviors. 
  • An enabling culture
  • Letting kids as young as Fuller drink soda is probably the least offensive but as someone who thinks that's a very poor behavior/habit to allow kids it stuck with me.

Anyways, this movie was a gut punch and made me feel sad. None of those things that set up the movie were meant to be funny or over-the-top, but a more or less straight take and realistic point of view of a family dynamic around the holidays. That's the sad part. Movies like Christmas Vacation which use dysfunction as comedy is different. This was supposed to be facsimile to a "modern" real family in the 90's.

Edited by HamsterHookah

This is probably a good "unpopular opinion" as well, but Home Alone has NOT aged well.
Tried to watch this the other day with the family and for being PG, it didn't feel very family friendly. And I'm not talking about the hijinks of Kevin getting the criminals with physical harm which was warranted and awesome.
Kevin was right and I actually felt bad for him because of the emotional abuse: the family is cruel, they use horrible language with each other, the parents are awful to the children, and it's just a disgusting family dynamic that made my heart hurt. Maybe this is how it was in the 90's and we've gotten better as families and a society, but it was very problematic to watch and we as a family all agreed to turn it off:
  • If my brother ever yelled at my son and called him a jerk, we are going to have some serious problems. Much less a parent ever calling their kids inflammatory and derogatory names.
  • A child of Kevin's age emoting "I hate you!" screams a lack of emotional development up to this point
  • Kids bullying one another and being ugly to one another and parents not being present or aware enough to change the behaviors. 
  • An enabling culture
  • Letting kids as young as Fuller drink soda is probably the least offensive but as someone who thinks that's a very poor behavior/habit to allow kids it stuck with me.
Anyways, this movie was a gut punch and made me feel sad. None of those things that set up the movie were meant to be funny or over-the-top, but a more or less straight take and realistic point of view of a family dynamic around the holidays. That's the sad part. Movies like Christmas Vacation which use dysfunction as comedy is different. This was supposed to be facsimile to a "modern" real family in the 90's.

Movies like Home Alone and Sixteen Candles, are morality tales, not blueprints. You’re not supposed to pattern yourself after the brother that is crude or the parents who forgot their children. They’re the environment that the protagonist has to overcome. Something to scorn and mock. See Kevin’s brother’s girlfriend? Woof!

And mother’s storyline was interesting because all she did in an attempt to redeem herself. She f’d up. Realized her mistake. And did everything she could to get back. Its called good storytelling.

Home Alone is rated PG as in Parental Guidance recommended. You need to understand the movie before you show it to kids. You need to be able to articulate what it’s trying to do. Dont think you do, even if you are father of the year.

With that being said, kids were more functional in the 80’s and 90’s than they are now, especially boys. And its not even close. Kevin was a boss, overcame the dysfunction of his family (very typical of large families), demonstrated intelligence and bravery.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

To pile on: Imagine if Kevin’s family was polite and well-mannered. How the hell is the audience supposed to believe everyone slept in, forgot Kevin, and didnt realize it until they were over the Atlantic Ocean?

In 2022 the movie would be called “Home Alone 4” as in by himself for 4 minutes before the family retrieved him then left for an international flight 4 hours before departure.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

• An enabling culture

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

• An enabling culture

I see some of your point but don’t really see drinking soda as child abuse. Really?
Hughes wrote this as almost a cartoon; the uncle an irredeemable bastard, Buzz the fat fucking bully, the constant noise of everyone. I thought Hughes captured that feeling of that situation great to set up Kevin to be a badass.

We enjoyed it when it came out and didn’t like 2.

I thought John Hughes made a very nice movie, but I was taken to fucking nightmare fuel delivered by child hater Walt Disney. Bambi’s mom, Dumbo’s mom, Yeller, fucking Peter Pan the list is endless. Thats some disturbing shit.
  • Like 1

Guess we're gonna need some more FBI guys.

11 hours ago, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spencer Hall is a gift to read:

A Unified Theory of Home Alone as a Story of White Collar Crime

Last year, we celebrated the holidays by making the case that we would never, ever fall for the traps and ruses laid out for the thieves in the horror film/holiday classic Home Alone.

This year, we continue the tradition with a proposal: That Home Alone is a film about the desperate and luxurious lives of those living a life of white collar crime, and that the father figure of the story, Peter McAllister, fuels the events of the films with a life of international financial lawlessness.

Our case is simple, but too expansive to be contained by the confines of social media posts. I, Spencer Hall, present it to you here, humbly but with great confidence in our cause.

Spoiler

The McAllister family’s wealth springs from Peter McAllister’s career as a white collar criminal. Peter McAllister possesses no obvious skills apart from charm, cash on hand at all times, and a title of “prominent businessman.” He lives in a $1.9 million house by 2022 valuations, which in 1990 dollars equalled $42,000,* but was ritzy for the time without being outright ostentatious. He never works, and feeds five children easily.

*Standard home price in 1990. College cost three cents. Cars were free. Food paid you to eat it.  

The best guess anyone’s made as to Peter McAllister’s actual profession is “day trader.” In my lifetime, I have met three people who day traded. The first worked at a restaurant with me as a night shift manager. They later went hilariously bankrupt after the housing bust sent their five jillion overextended mortgages into a state of default so hellish demons screamed and a little smoke puffed from their billfold every time they opened their wallet.

The second laundered money for a Florida weed magnate and played no less than thirty-five hours of Call of Duty a week high off their ass in basketball shorts and slides.  He ruled, frankly.

The third was actually a day trader, and lost all of their cash in three months before taking up with a slightly less risky natural gas pyramid scheme for income.

Peter McAllister has been keeping this up for years. My guess: He's a money launderer for wealthy tax cheats on the north side of Chicago. His brother Rob, who pays for the entire Paris trip, is the mastermind of the franchise, and uses Peter in Chicago as the American hub of his entire operation.

Doubt me, and look at Rob’s face. Tell me he has not seen a man lowered into a sack of rats in Tangiers for lack of prompt payment. Tell me he does not scream “wanted by INTERPOL.”

An image of Rob McAllister from the movie Home Alone: 2

The streets are a little hot in the month or two ahead of the beginning of action in Home Alone, and that’s why the McAllister family is headed to Paris. It is true that France has an extradition treaty with the United States. But if Peter McAllister’s case involves anything shy of murder, he can count on a enforcement lag period long enough to allow for a move to a third locale.

After all, Paris is cozy, and Rob runs the whole operation from there anyway with the tacit permission of compromised French officials. The kids will love it, and Kate will spend her time cramming new fashion trends to take back to Chicago. (Peter's wife is a fashion designer in the movie, one who really, really likes huge shoulder pads.) Peter can hole up safe in the knowledge that his and Rob’s wealth and the holiday hours of slow-ass French bureaucracy will buy him sufficient time to a.) let his Chicago problems simmer down a bit or b.) buy a ticket from Charles de Gaulle International Airport to the next port of convenience.

Home Alone 2: Saigon Santa could have been so, so very sweet.

A screenshot of Google replies to the query "countries without extradition to the U.S."

The Wet Bandits know Peter McAllister can’t call the cops with ease. The underworld in Chicago is not that big, and no one ends up in Winnetka by accident. McAllister’s life of whitening the soiled dollars of the Windy City’s filthy rich is a public secret, and the Wet Bandits target the McAllister house deliberately and specifically because they believe he cannot rely on law enforcement to investigate anything around him too closely.

Side note: Old Man Marley is also a former hit man for the mob. This is why he lives in the same neighborhood, attends church faithfully to beg the lord for forgiveness, and why his children do not speak to him. This is also why he knows how to sneak into a house and concuss two grown men with a snow shovel silently, and with the ease of a trained killer.

In the next film, Peter McAllister takes the entire family to Miami. I believe this one speaks for itself, but in case it’s not completely clear: Peter McAllister takes his family to Miami for Christmas. No one in the history of the world has ever traveled to Florida with five children in tow for anything less than the siren song of easy money laundering. Not at gunpoint, not chased by dogs, never.

Frank’s name is on everything. It has to be. Frank is a flunky and a useful one, but he’s also clearly a liability who’s useless in every other context. The only reason Peter McAllister tolerates Frank at all is his utility as cover to hide assets in event of the feds coming down on the McAllisters’ international financial scammery. Somewhere down the Home Alone timeline, Frank is either killed violently before he can turn state’s evidence, or rats on his family and starts a new life under a new name in WitSec somewhere in Wyoming.

I sincerely hope it’s the former and not the latter. Fuck Uncle Frank.

Kate McAllister knows, but asks very few questions. She jokes about Peter growing a goatee in Paris in the first film because he knows he may have to assume a disguise to escape law enforcement. Otherwise, she's already practicing a long act of not knowing anything more than she has to know about Peter's line of work.

Kevin is the star of the series because he is the one true heir to the McAllister crime empire's throne. Buzz’s casual thuggery and brutish nature might seem like a good and obvious succession solution for the McAllisters' racket. But only Kevin displays the ratlike cunning and quickfire decision-making necessary to not only inherit the McAllister crime syndicate, but expand its reach and influence.

To wit:

1. Kevin is the only one who openly hates Frank, a sign of his solid character judgment.
  2. Kevin is the only one who attempts to murder multiple adults with foresight, detailed planning, and real malice.
  3. Kevin constructs a solid blackmail plot against Frank by filming him naked in the shower singing “Cool Jerk”
  4. Kevin earns the respect of trained killers (see his friendship with Old Man Marley, who recognizes a young assassin when he sees one)
  5. Kevin realizes when an adult will be of limited help or expertise (See image below)

4O2J6ofbJs1Idh7_JBOMH91bRTLg_nd5Kwq0waaKO2hV91NvoIlF-TLadLck-I6SAhNrOvbtTNPqH3wr3UTdQpVF_Rz9EHBK2CqPLxzNztsAGIKpsh6nD2FLI95lGp4rBK5f9ijjWwQpt08C1BQ1XQIxeB5G7yAHTcbirbEDlg9Xxm1KMCIMc_BO_Lmmmw

In conclusion, Peter McAllister is a criminal, and Kevin and his family merely the tragic pawns caught in the wake of his messy international life of financial crimes. Thank you for attending my TED Talk, thank you for your continued support of Channel 6, and happy holidays to you all.

On 12/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

tenor (26).gif

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m seventy-one and my favorite is A Christmas Story. Jean Shepard’s delivery of the narration was like being in the conscience of a boy for post WW2 Christmastime. The perfect set decoration, Ralphie’s fantasies, Randy whining at his meatloaf, the look on the Old Man’s face when Ralphie came out with F-U-U-U-U, it was a real Christmas without the saccharine. 

Santa brought me a Benjamin pump air rifle when I was nine. I immediately pumped it fifteen times, loaded it with a bb, opened the back door and fired a hip shot at a female towhee, one of Mama’s favorite birds, pecking around under some bushes twenty feet away. I had zero confidence that it would hit home, a million to one shot. Dropped the poor towhee stone dead. Felt awful about it and still do. 

YouTube has a treasure trove of Shepard radio shows from his days at WOR in New York. He’s like a latter day Mark Twain with a dose of sick little monkey. Wish he and the little towhee were still here.

Edited by Bama Llama
Hip shot
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

YouTube has a treasure trove of Shepard radio shows from his days at WOR in New York. He’s like a latter day Mark Twain with a dose of sick little monkey. Wish he and the little towhee were still here.

Shepherd has a cameo in the film as well 

image.png.a1785a58df186dd00994c0cda1797fd9.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've grappled with a It's A Wonderful Life for years. George routinely gets screwed by: his father, his brother, his customers, Old Man Potter. Why?!

I think there's a Christian message in there somewhere, but all I see is Donna Reed.  

With reckless abandon...

hqdefault.jpg

donna-reed-29.jpg

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:50 AM, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

alison-brie.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, HamsterHookah said:

• An enabling culture

You have highe levels of estrogen don’t you 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Non traditional Christmas flick. But I really love. “The family man”. With Nicholas cage and Tea Leoni 

Damn good movie.

Watched "Santa Claus: The Movie" the other day with the fam.  Still as corny as it was 30 years ago, but definitely brings some of the holiday spirit.  I mean, The Other Jeffrey Lebowski as Santa, Dudley Moore as the imaginative elf trying to modernize, Lithgow brilliantly portraying the greedy toymaker.  Fun movie even if the graphics are a little stale.   

• Hook 'Em 1

I've grappled with a It's A Wonderful Life for years. George routinely gets screwed by: his father, his brother, his customers, Old Man Potter. Why?!
I think there's a Christian message in there somewhere, but all I see is Donna Reed.  

I love this movie; I think it is the greatest movie ever made. I have watched it at least 60 times.

And you are right. While he finally gets saved by his friends from the stupidity of his uncle, he is saved thru everything by Donna Reed. Mary’s unconditional love for George is the real blessing.

I often look at the serendipity of the movie and look at how different decisions and events impacted how my life has progressed, and how certain things way back would have meant our grandkids wouldn’t have existed now.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I love this movie; I think it is the greatest movie ever made. I have watched it at least 60 times.

And you are right. While he finally gets saved by his friends from the stupidity of his uncle, he is saved thru everything by Donna Reed. Mary’s unconditional love for George is the real blessing.

I often look at the serendipity of the movie and look at how different decisions and events impacted how my life has progressed, and how certain things way back would have meant our grandkids wouldn’t have existed now.

That's the thing that makes it so amazing.  I think about how much my wife can get under my skin and how frustrating she can be, then I look at my 2 little girls and think "they wouldn't be here bro".  

On 12/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

That seems to be the answer, isn't it? 

He can put up with all those people screwing him over because he gets to screw Donna Reed. 

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2022 at 11:50 AM, HamsterHookah said:

Here you go, Home Alone reimagined by AI as a movie in the Soviet Union (from https://www.reddit.com/r/midjourney/)

FkmNRkuWIAE0wE5?format=jpg&name=medium

Spoiler

FkmNRkyWIAAK3vF?format=jpg&name=medium

FkmNRktXwAAWuCV?format=jpg&name=medium

FkmNRktWIAI8csa?format=jpg&name=medium

Home Alone 2

FkmNhHrWQAE3jAu?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

FkmNhHjXoAI15Lr?format=jpg&name=large

FkmNhHoX0AE7kfw?format=jpg&name=large

FkmNhHlXwAIxGnK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 12/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, mchookem said:

Maybe this is how it was in the 90's and we've gotten better as families and a society, but it was very problematic to watch and we as a family all agreed to turn it off:

Cotdamn, this makes me fear for our future.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

vlcsnap-2022-12-24-23h35m25s572.png

I grew up watching this.  That abominabal scared the shit out of me