The Baseball Movie Rabbit Hole

RPM

Started this to save the Penny Marshall thread. GOAT of baseball movies... GO!

10 off the top of my head in no particular order:

Pride of The Yankees

61*

The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars & Motor Kings

Bull Durham

Major League

A League of Their Own

The Final Season

Angels in The Outfield (original)

The Rookie

The Stratton Story

Edited by RPM

The Fan

The Scout

Mr. Baseball

( not saying these are Top 3, necessarily; but definitely entertaining on their own.)

Bad News Bears, the original

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Whatever said:
3 hours ago, slorch said:
The Fan
The Scout
Mr. Baseball
( not saying these are Top 3, necessarily; but definitely entertaining on their own.)

Bad News Bears, the original

I forgot about Mr. Baseball. I loved that movie when I was a kid. Time for a revisit.

it's absolutely terrible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whatever said:
7 hours ago, slorch said:
Mr. Baseball

I forgot about Mr. Baseball. I loved that movie when I was a kid. Time for a revisit.

I watch that 2 - 3 times a year. It still holds up.

5 hours ago, Underdog said:

Albert Brooks is outstanding in The Scout. 

The Comrades of Summer is pretty good. 

Anyone ever watch It Happens Every Spring?  Cheesy, corny movie with Ray Milland, wrote a script with a similar premise, then Rookie of the Year kind of stole my thunder for it. 

Agree with all of this. Forgot about CoS. Great little film. IHES is a classic. Milland did another baseball comedy, Rhubarb.

7 hours ago, Whatever said:

Summer Catch (hi Jessica Biel)

Great flick.

Already mentioned but The Stratton Story is a good one, “guess I started my slide too early” is classic. 

Joe E. Brown made a couple of baseball movies that are pretty good, light-fare viewings.

Talent for the Game

Can’t remember the name of the baseball movie with Eastwood and Amy Adams, never watched the whole movie.  That one and the one with an Arquette sister and the kid from Caddyshack, The Baseball Wife?  

Tried watching *61 while on a bus to a Yankees game a few years back but was too noisey, need to watch it again.  Surprised nothing’s been made in regards to Mantle himself, would be a fascinating story I think. 

11 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Already mentioned but The Stratton Story is a good one, “guess I started my slide too early” is classic. 

Joe E. Brown made a couple of baseball movies that are pretty good, light-fare viewings.

Talent for the Game

Can’t remember the name of the baseball movie with Eastwood and Amy Adams, never watched the whole movie.  That one and the one with an Arquette sister and the kid from Caddyshack, The Baseball Wife?  

Tried watching *61 while on a bus to a Yankees game a few years back but was too noisey, need to watch it again.  Surprised nothing’s been made in regards to Mantle himself, would be a fascinating story I think. 

Trouble With the Curve.  I liked it.

I also liked For Love of the Game.

Baseball movies >> other sports.  I think the game just lends itself to film more.  The actors can be regular guys instead of mutants for football and basketball, and the action is stuff regular guys can imitate. Nothing is dumber looking than slow motion footage of a sloppy looking undersized lineman giving a devastating block sending someone flipping through the air with 12 well timed cuts to hide the fact the actors can’t do anything close to that.  

10 hours ago, South Austin said:

Redford’s acting takes The Natural down a notch for me, but it’s still a great fucking movie.  

wait wut?

You thought he blew it?  I thought he pulled it off pretty well, and that was a lot of the charm of the film.

i have no fucking idea from what movie that's from...

even after googletronning it.

at least mine was relevant...and it gets us to Kevin Bacon all in one fell swoop.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

a few good men?  you knew bacon was in it but didn't know what movie it was from?

redford was 48 when the natural came out.  brimley was 50.

No.  Underdog's response.

Brainfart deluxe.  Assumed he was answering with another movie line.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:46 AM, South Austin said:

Redford’s acting takes The Natural down a notch for me, but it’s still a great fucking movie.  

Bull Durham is my favorite sports movie of all time. 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:20 PM, Underdog said:

The Cinematography and Newman’s score make The Natural tolerable. 

On 12/19/2018 at 6:31 PM, Underdog said:

Major League

On 12/19/2018 at 6:45 PM, Beau Vine said:

Man, I agree with this.  It blows my mind that people bring it up in Best Baseball Movie threads.  

I think you're all fucked in the head! 

Oh and Talent for the Game is really good and not a very popular movie it seems. 

Rotten tomatoes has a few listed I've never heard of in their top 25... top 5

1 bull durham

2 moneyball

3 life/times hank Greenberg 

4 bad news bears

5 pride of yankees

ones I've never heard of- sugar, fear strikes out, off the black, game 6

Edited by bluto