Aladdin with Will Smith as The Genie

crash_davis

7 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

The entire movie will hinge on Will Smith's performance.

Will Smith's performance will be judged entirely in comparison to Robin Williams.

I can't believe he took the part.  Seriously.  And I am not a Will Smith hater.  I think the dude is damn talented.  But to say these shoes to fill are big is an understatement.

I'm not a Will Smith hater either but he was an odd choice.  Yes, he has charisma but he's not a stand up comedian and a whirling comedic dervish like Williams.  He's not a guy who can just organically riff and make almost anything into a gag or piece to laugh at.  I can't really imagine anyone else doing the Genie like Williams so perhaps they decided to go in another direction and more of his stuff will be in the script.  The only one I've seen similar to Williams is Eddie Murphy, not Will Smith.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm not a Will Smith hater either but he was an odd choice.  Yes, he has charisma but he's not a stand up comedian and a whirling comedic dervish like Williams.  He's not a guy who can just organically riff and make almost anything into a gag or piece to laugh at.  I can't really imagine anyone else doing the Genie like Williams so perhaps they decided to go in another direction and more of his stuff will be in the script.  The only one I've seen similar to Williams is Eddie Murphy, not Will Smith.

Eddie Murphy would be much, much better than Will Smith - Murphy (at times) had that same manic comedic intensity that Williams had, and feels like he can be more spontaneous than Smith. 

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Agee with the comments above.  Jim Carrey (unless he’s too much of a nutjob now) is actually who comes to mind to me as having that manic comic energy that could be a suitable Genie in the style of the character Robin Williams created in the original.  Eddie Murphy would make sense, too.

I would be shocked if Will Smith can do a Robin Williams style Genie from the original. Will Smith plays the cool guy in everything.  They’re going to have to change the character to try to make it work for him, or he’s going to have to break typecast for the first time in 25 years.

Smith could get some serious negative blowback from this. It was a defining role for Williams, and since he died, he's become almost like a patron saint of Hollywood. Smith also burned a lot of bridges with fans when he tried  to turn his no talent or charisma son into a star. 

There's also the fact that there's been some built up negativity towards Disney for screwing up Star Wars, and recycling old movies into live action/CGI rather than coming up with anything new.  

Jim Carrey is way too crazy now for anyone to invest big bucks into a movie that depends upon him not shitting the bed. 

There's still the problem that Aladdin is unique, in that Robin Williams was a famous actor who basically played himself as an animated character. In all the other cartoon to CGI movies, nobody knew who did the voice animations for Belle or the Beast, so replacing the voice actors didn't bother anyone. This one's going to be more like having a different actor play Wolverine or Iron Man. Even if Smith does a great job, Williams is still the standard. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Yeah I think this trailer looks better. It has a chance to be....fine.

The gal that plays Jasmine is a 100% lock to be fine, though.

Pretty much.  It'll make a shit ton of money like Beauty and Beast did despite being the SAME exact movie with a few not very important added scenes to lengthen the run time a bit.

And they'll continue to make these like the they the Jungle Book, BiTB, Alladin, Dumbo(which actually might be a little different story from what I've seen), Lion King, and they already got Mulan and Little Mermaid in the works.

• 2 months later...

I'm wary of Will Smith and I know nobody can top Robin Williams, but has anyone seen this? Initial reviews are mixed. My kids really want to see it this holiday weekend but I've got a 8 6 and 4 year old. I've seen some parent reviews saying this one is for 8 yr olds and up. Even if it's tacky I'm more concerned if it's too scary for the little ones.