Sedative for dogs on long road trips

We're going to my wife's family in East Texas for Christmas and taking our dog.  It's about a 4.5 hour trip, and every time she throws up on the way.  Even if we don't feed her before we hit the road she still vomits.  We always end up stopping at Buc-cee's in Madisonville and buying a new towel for the inside of her crate.  Would a mild sedative help?  I've read that benadryl might also make them sleepy and calm.  Tips?

Yeah - Call your vet and go pick up some sedatives.  You want the dog awake enough to get in and out of the car without injury to them or you (if its big), but calmed down.

Or you can take a sedative and not care what happens and let your wife deal with the puke.....either or.....

we use 1/2 a tablet of 1mg melatonin with one of our dogs for 4th July and NYE for fireworks. She weighs about 13#.  That dose calms her for 3-4 hours

it does not put her to sleep, but keeps her racing heart from jumping out of her chest.  It helps her on road trips when we have taken her to Lubbock.

She doesn't get pukey and can still function( walk, go pee, etc.)

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

We're going to my wife's family in East Texas for Christmas and taking our dog.  It's about a 4.5 hour trip, and every time she throws up on the way.  Even if we don't feed her before we hit the road she still vomits.  We always end up stopping at Buc-cee's in Madisonville and buying a new towel for the inside of her crate.  Would a mild sedative help?  I've read that benadryl might also make them sleepy and calm.  Tips?

On these road trips, which variety of shitty music do you blast through the car?

We have a little dog who gets “road anxiety”. He will start barking in the car and never stop until he gets out. Before our trip to Colorado we got a prescription medicine from the vet that worked well. Basically it made the dog very groggy such that he had no energy to bark. I’ll try to find the name of the medicine.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, South Austin said:

We're going to my wife's family in East Texas for Christmas and taking our dog.  It's about a 4.5 hour trip, and every time she throws up on the way.  Even if we don't feed her before we hit the road she still vomits...

Your wife sounds disgusting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/21/2018 at 5:58 AM, South Austin said:

Appreciate all the suggestions, except for tying my dog to the bumper. (Do you know what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?)  Our vet suggested we give Benadryl a shot, so we’ll see how that works.

Benadryl does nothing to my dogs, but they are both really big spazzes.  

Our Schnauzer terrier (not my choice) is immune to every medicine mentioned in this thread so far. Shakes uncontrollably from anxiety when traveling, even if in someone's lap with a blanket over him. Only thing that works is a human-sized dose of Dramamine. There are guides online for dosage size per lb of dog.

• 3 weeks later...