Trainer "Get off the 20xx thread" thread

Magus Ossis

39 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I've heard rumors that aggy is largely populated by regards, mouth breathers, inept trolls, and transgenders who regretted their surgery. If this is true, would that still leave room for bigoted rednecks, fans of dangerous engineering failures, and Blinn dropouts?

You forgot, slopeheads, window lickers and sodbusters.

1 hour ago, Kill Switch said:

I've heard rumors that Adidas has some of these handlers on payroll to shuffle these kids to Schools that are with Adidas.  If this is true then is this also something that Nike is doing?  Paying handlers to get elite players to sign with Nike schools?

1990’s ... Phil Ford ... UNC a Nike school ... Boo Williams Hampton VA AAU ... Ronald Curry Hampton HS AA in both football and basketball  ... verbal commit to UVA an Adidas school.

Last minute flip ... connect the dots. 

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

1990’s ... Phil Ford ... UNC a Nike school ... Boo Williams Hampton VA AAU ... Ronald Curry Hampton HS AA in both football and basketball  ... verbal commit to UVA an Adidas school.

Does not pass the smell test here and now.  Adidas just had several guys get indicted and put in jail for pay for play.  That means Adidas the company and its board and senior leadership have long since lawyered up to their eyeballs to "investigate" and play damage control.  Nike is likely doing the same thing behind the scenes.  I just cannot see any realistic scenario at all in which, while executives are going to jail, the company is still out there paying players.  It is suicide.  The DOJ can turn out your lights.   

You tell the feds, with as much sincerity as you can muster, that these were a few bad apples playing dirty pool unbeknownst to the leadership, and we SWEAR we will do whatever it takes to clean up our act.    If the games continue after you say that and it comes to light (and since the FBI is actively investigating and has had wiretaps, cooperating witnesses, etc., it damn well might) turn out the lights, fellas.   

Ro Simon and his ilk might well try to play up their record to Adidas of "training" players who go on to Adidas schools in exchange for "sponsoring" their teams, which i assume includes paying the coach's salary.  But unless i see proof otherwise, i have a hard time believing that shoe companies are still paying players under the table.  

17 minutes ago, AugieBall said:

Does not pass the smell test here and now.  Adidas just had several guys get indicted and put in jail for pay for play.  That means Adidas the company and its board and senior leadership have long since lawyered up to their eyeballs to "investigate" and play damage control.  Nike is likely doing the same thing behind the scenes.  I just cannot see any realistic scenario at all in which, while executives are going to jail, the company is still out there paying players.  It is suicide.  The DOJ can turn out your lights.   

You tell the feds, with as much sincerity as you can muster, that these were a few bad apples playing dirty pool unbeknownst to the leadership, and we SWEAR we will do whatever it takes to clean up our act.    If the games continue after you say that and it comes to light (and since the FBI is actively investigating and has had wiretaps, cooperating witnesses, etc., it damn well might) turn out the lights, fellas.   

Ro Simon and his ilk might well try to play up their record to Adidas of "training" players who go on to Adidas schools in exchange for "sponsoring" their teams, which i assume includes paying the coach's salary.  But unless i see proof otherwise, i have a hard time believing that shoe companies are still paying players under the table.  

I dredged up the Curry story as an example of shoe companies influencing the recruiting process 20 years ago. I don’t doubt the same shit’s still going down today. There’s just too much money at stake ... they’ll simply find more sophisticated processes. That friggin’ Swoosh is on everything.  

BTW, it was never insinuated that Nike paid Curry. It was the AAU middle man who seemed to have benefited. 

Edited by VirginiaLonghorn

1 hour ago, AugieBall said:

Tell-me-willy-wonka-meme-blank.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

New Poster. First posts defending Ro Simon & Addidas. 

Righhhhhht. 

I have never defended Ro Simon or any similar "trainer."  I just know how this shit works at the board level for public companies and i have a hard time seeing Adidas watch its executives get arrested and imprisoned and say "oh well, let's keep at it."  I doubt the directors or senior brass want to share a cell.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What's the background here?

He's a long time Longhorn netizen from way back when. Good dude. But he occasionally has bad opinions about which he should feel bad. See below. 

24 minutes ago, AugieBall said:

It's me.  I lurk a lot, more these days when the football is good.   Havent posted in a decade plus.  

Austin High still sucks.

Been a while. Good to see you around. Also, your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Oh fuck. AugieBall. HotChrist. It just means scally is going to pile into here any day, and then a bunch of shit heels will tell them why they know nothing. Should be fun.   

What is it with all these guys coming back? Are we attending a funeral?

7 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

7 hours ago, AugieBall said:

NIKE is an American company. Adidas is not.

The Feds went after Adidas first to send a warning shot to other schools that they can't blatantly do this while also coming down hard on NIKE's biggest competition. NIKE has been doing the same thing since the '80s and on a much bigger level than Adidas and yet Adidas gets busted first? 

That Sonny Vacarro guy basically wrote the book on this shit after he became a household name by signing Michael Jordan and then was hired by Adidas to do the same shit for them.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

NIKE is an American company. Adidas is not.

The Feds went after Adidas first to send a warning shot to other schools that they can't blatantly do this while also coming down hard on NIKE's biggest competition. NIKE has been doing the same thing since the '80s and on a much bigger level than Adidas and yet Adidas gets busted first? 

That Sonny Vacarro guy basically wrote the book on this shit after he became a household name by signing Michael Jordan and then was hired by Adidas to do the same shit for them.

Nike owns close to 74% of the basketball sales market with the Jordan brand adding another 8%.  When you own close to 82% of the market, why would you take the same risks Adidas did for an 18% market share?  You wouldn't.  Nike signs proven commodities like the Lebrons, Kyries, and Durants,  not the Deandre Aytons of the world.

Adidas is desperately trying to establish themselves and increase market share.  That includes bribing AAU teams to wear your product for visibility, paying big time players to be on AAU teams associated with your product, etc.  The fact that Adidas saw record rises in their performance and basketball shoe sales in 2017 shows that it's working.  Now that Adidas' shady model has been validated with market results, I find it hard to believe they will stop.

52 minutes ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Nike owns close to 74% of the basketball sales market with the Jordan brand adding another 8%.  When you own close to 82% of the market, why would you take the same risks Adidas did for an 18% market share?  You wouldn't.  Nike signs proven commodities like the Lebrons, Kyries, and Durants,  not the Deandre Aytons of the world.

Adidas is desperately trying to establish themselves and increase market share.  That includes bribing AAU teams to wear your product for visibility, paying big time players to be on AAU teams associated with your product, etc.  The fact that Adidas saw record rises in their performance and basketball shoe sales in 2017 shows that it's working.  Now that Adidas' shady model has been validated with market results, I find it hard to believe they will stop.

Read about Sonny Vaccaro 

1 hour ago, CB'sGotMeLit said:

Adidas sounds a bit like aggy.

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's a pretty low shot man. Poland has some nice people. And pierogies. What has aTm to offer? 

TexAgs postgame threads from 100% real visiting fans have assured me that aggy has the nicest, humblest, rootin' tootiest fans in the world. Let's see Jagiellonia Białystok match that!

Edited by texifornia

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Young Tootie was terrific. I was always a Blair guy growing up, however, even when she plumped a bit. She always reminded me of one of my older sister's smoking hot friends.

Drinking problem, low self esteem  and daddy issues? Man, i love those chicks.