Trainer "Get off the 20xx thread" thread

Magus Ossis

36 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Did FWK have a chance to go to Sam houston state or Abilene Christian with all the no stars he mentors that needed rides? Or he just truly cares about those poor elite guys and doesn't want their poor innocent souls to be corrupted by the big bad big universities?

He doesn’t train non-elite guys for free. 

On 12/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, texifornia said:

"Illegal payments" and arguing over who is *actually* cheating have been part of the ridiculous joy of college football since the beginning. Gold Trans Ams and shit.

Shit, when I was a teen my grandfather told me about how sweet Bobby Layne's sweet downtown penthouse circa 1947. It's always been a part of the game, going back to when Princeton and Yale dominated. You have to do it to compete, but you have to keep it between the ditches of being too obvious (like SMU) and letting the players run amok (like Switzer's last batch of gooner thugs.) 

Paraphrasing Gus McRae, "A coach who wouldn't cheat for an NC doesn't want one bad enough."

52 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Shit, when I was a teen my grandfather told me about how sweet Bobby Layne's sweet downtown penthouse circa 1947. It's always been a part of the game, going back to when Princeton and Yale dominated. You have to do it to compete, but you have to keep it between the ditches of being too obvious (like SMU) and letting the players run amok (like Switzer's last batch of gooner thugs.) 

Paraphrasing Gus McRae, "A coach who wouldn't cheat for an NC doesn't want one bad enough."

Yeah, a kid from Highland Park probably came to Texas for the money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Yeah, a kid from Highland Park probably came to Texas for the money.

He was kind of an orphan -- he was raised by his aunt and uncle. (Wade Hampton family -- I was a frat brother of their descendant, another Wade Hampton.) All I'm saying is my grandfather went to that penthouse and he told me it was well-known to all that it was a freebie courtesy of the athletic department. 

18 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

He was kind of an orphan -- he was raised by his aunt and uncle. (Wade Hampton family -- I was a frat brother of their descendant, another Wade Hampton.) All I'm saying is my grandfather went to that penthouse and he told me it was well-known to all that it was a freebie courtesy of the athletic department. 

It may have been what you have heard. And HP was not quite as awash in money in the WWII era as it is now. And it was his uncle, not his dad, in whose house Layne grew up in HP. But there are a few factors that would cause me to proceed slowly before attaching too much credence to such stories or repeating them. 1. The average ACTUAL NFL player earned about the same as an average job-- still less than $6,000 into the 50's (10 years after Layne was at Texas). The idea that extravagant penthouses would be provided for college players at Texas is a bit of stretch for that era. 2. He is from HP, uncle or no, and would have had friends and relations able to help him enjoy the good life as a youth with nothing done against the rules. If anything, more suspicion would fall on someone like his HS teammate Doak Walker, who elected to play at the lesser-football-tradition school with well-heeled alumni. 3. "Well-known" has been bandied about many times, including on the internet, regarding information that started as a rumor and was simply never corrected in time. 4. MORTUI REQUIESCANT IN PACE. Even demonstrated facts about cheating would be of questionable import now, and rumors (even from a trusted source) are not proven facts.

There's gotta be a way to procure a running list of players he's worked with and where they ended up. I think we'll find the results indicative of why there's reservations about his intentions when it comes the these "ungrateful UT fans"

Edited by TankedBevo
Punctuation is key

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lyles was at specs for like 6 months, tops, and now hes the mayor of Bellaire Episcopal. As far was wishing catastophe on someone goes, we can do better.  

I just want dishonest, dirty street agents making $ on the backs of highly recruited prospects to go away, that's all.  And the dishonest "I'm doing it for the kids" is nauseating.  Just want Footwork King to work somewhere else, not go bankrupt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

There's gotta be a way to procure a running list of players he's worked with and where they ended up. I think we'll find the results indicative of why there's reservations about his intentions when it comes the these "ungrateful UT fans"

We need a completion of this analogy:

aggy : Randolph Duke :: FWK/Lyles/etc : ___________