2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

Just a catch all thread for the details of those civil servants losing out of a paycheck at Christmas, the economic costs and of course the political blame game!

I know that many of you thought that just because the President was on tape telling Pelosi and Schumer that he would be "Proud" to shut down the government over his border wall. that was earlier in the week, now both Trump, Honest Ted, and a huge cast of characters are explaining that it is actually the "Schumer Shutdown!" 

Now I guess we get to wonder how long the shutdown will go on.  I guess the strategy (Iknow, I know, a silly word to use with this GOP) will be to shut down the government, shit the bed, then blame the new Democratic congress for the mess the GOP needlessly created? I think you can extrapolate that the Whitehouse knows it is going to be blamed for the mess, as Mick Mulvaney the fiscal flip flopper is out front explaining that the shutdown really doesn't hurt folks all that much. I think the Ted Cruz sponsored shutdown scrubbed off around half a percent of GDP 9this is from memory so I could be wrong), and the longer these things go the more it drags on.

I guess my biggest concern is that I don't know what would pressure Trump into making a deal once he walks everyone off the plank? Simply as I don't think he honestly cares about anyone but himself and his immediate family. So where would the pressure to compromise come from?

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Just a catch all thread for the details of those civil servants losing out of a paycheck at Christmas, the economic costs and of course the political blame game!

I know that many of you thought that just because the President was on tape telling Pelosi and Schumer that he would be "Proud" to shut down the government over his border wall. that was earlier in the week, now both Trump, Honest Ted, and a huge cast of characters are explaining that it is actually the "Schumer Shutdown!" 

Now I guess we get to wonder how long the shutdown will go on.  I guess the strategy (Iknow, I know, a silly word to use with this GOP) will be to shut down the government, shit the bed, then blame the new Democratic congress for the mess the GOP needlessly created? I think you can extrapolate that the Whitehouse knows it is going to be blamed for the mess, as Mick Mulvaney the fiscal flip flopper is out front explaining that the shutdown really doesn't hurt folks all that much. I think the Ted Cruz sponsored shutdown scrubbed off around half a percent of GDP 9this is from memory so I could be wrong), and the longer these things go the more it drags on.

I guess my biggest concern is that I don't know what would pressure Trump into making a deal once he walks everyone off the plank? Simply as I don't think he honestly cares about anyone but himself and his immediate family. So where would the pressure to compromise come from?

Christmas golf in Mar a Lago.

27 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I also have this question.  There's nothing in it for him.  His base will blame the democrats.  

It's insane to think about the mileage that Cheeto is getting out an amorphous, concocted policy matter called The Wall. Not a good sign long term for the health of the US if that many voters can be swayed by the Limbaugh/FoxNews propaganda machine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, retread said:

It's insane to think about the mileage that Cheeto is getting out an amorphous, concocted policy matter called The Wall. Not a good sign long term for the health of the US if that many voters can be swayed by the Limbaugh/FoxNews propaganda machine.

That's the thing, it's not that many people. This is just dumb politics on his part.

A deal has been reached!  A deal about the framework of how to make a future deal... a simple solution.  HAHAHAHAH

The framework is not vote until they cut a deal that Trump will sign, Ryan and McConnell support, as well as supported by Pelosi and Schumer.  So basically the exact deal that the Senate voted on and the GOP House refused to vote on?  The bill that passed the Senate would have easily passed the house if allowed a vote.  But Trump watched Fox news, and is worried about impeachment. The endless GOP embrace of the hastert rule simply empowers a small far right minority to exert it's will on the country. And the will of the far right is simply NOT the will of the majority of the people, thus will never, ever, ever be the basis of legislation that can pass both houses. I don't know how many times the GOP needs to learn this lesson but apparently THREE times when controlling all three branches will hold as the record for a while.

McConnell- concurs with the house amendment, to the Senate amendment, to the House amendment, to the Senate amendment to HR 695.  it's so fucking ridiculous even McConnell was laughing at what he was saying.

So the plan is for a short term shut down.  Or a shutdown that lasts until Trump understands his only option is capitulation?  Why on earth would Pelosi and Schumer let trump off the hook for being such a moron? Trump needs to get back to $1.6 billion, and the dems should extract their pound of flesh for that.  Maybe simply give Trump what he wants if he authorizes the IRS to release his tax returns?  You think Trump wants the wall that much? 😉

• Like 1

If you never thought a border wall was something that we needed until Donald Trump came along and proclaimed that it is, you might want to consider the possibility that you're a complete fucking moron.

(Btw, if you thought a border wall was something we needed before Trump came along then you're still a moron. Just so there's no confusion.)

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you never thought a border wall was something that we needed until Donald Trump came along and proclaimed that it is, you might want to consider the possibility that you're a complete fucking moron.

(Btw, if you thought a border wall was something we needed before Trump came along then you're still a moron. Just so there's no confusion.)

If you ever thought that building a big, stupid wall was an honest solution to any immigration issues we may have, you should consider the viability of suicide.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Amazing how Republicans will stretch the bounds of reason to make this a democrat shutdown.
R: "Give me a billion dollars so I can buy these magic beans!"
D:: "No. Those are stupid."
R: "Sign this bill or I will shut down the government! That will create all kinds of havoc and hurt Federal employees!"
D:: "You're being ridiculous."
[Mitch McConnell addressing Congress]"...Now we have a government shutdown, all because the Democrats refuse to support a commonsense magic bean buying policy."

This gives the GOP way too much credit. Magic beans would be any infinitely better investment than a border wall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

If you ever thought that building a big, stupid wall was an honest solution to any immigration issues we may have, you should consider the viability of suicide.

If you ever encourage people to commit suicide over a political issue, it might be time to reevaluate your priorities in life.

The political reality here is that the Dems hold all the cards as long as the public doesn’t somehow start to think the shutdown is their fault.    In two weeks, they increase their power by taking over the House and retain the ability to keep the Senate from getting 60 votes.    Dems should hold strong in the talking point that all of the players involved, including trump, made a deal for a two month extension.  Trump broke the deal.  Face the wheel. 

But I understand why it took Limbaugh and coulter to convince trump that he would need to someday hold firm on the wall since he promised it.  Stupid promise but he has some hardcore supporters that want the wall.

At this point, should the Dems be positioning themselves to try and make the shutdown lady until new House is sworn in? Then have Pelosi lead House pass legislation to reopen the government. Then leave it to Senate led GOP to own the continued shutdown.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The political reality here is that the Dems hold all the cards as long as the public doesn’t somehow start to think the shutdown is their fault.    In two weeks, they increase their power by taking over the House and retain the ability to keep the Senate from getting 60 votes.    Dems should hold strong in the talking point that all of the players involved, including trump, made a deal for a two month extension.  Trump broke the deal.  Face the wheel. 

But I understand why it took Limbaugh and coulter to convince trump that he would need to someday hold firm on the wall since he promised it.  Stupid promise but he has some hardcore supporters that want the wall.

Donald Trump made sure this won't happen.

The Republicans are in a box thanks to their dumb president.

Donald Trump made sure this won't happen.
The Republicans are in a box thanks to their dumb president.

If he says it’s the dems fault half the country blames the dems. Hell, he doesn’t even have to say it anymore. The mouth breathers blame the dems for everything. Facts don’t matter.

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sorry, half the voters in this country, or 63,000,000 people, representing well over half the electoral college.

Those numbers are still inaccurate. His support has waned since his election and now he's only catering to his base.

That isn't going to win him anything. He's politically weak. His party is starting to realize it.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:50 AM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

96C40418-B606-4C4A-85D9-B5C92F2A7504_zps

Arousing and terrifying at the same time.  Intriguing all the way to the point where you find out if there is or isn't a penis.  Not having a penis would be ideal.  Having a penis would be like the worst thing she could ever have.  Hate sounding judgy, but I'm a real stickler about that penis thing.  Also nervous that she seems to be about 13' tall.  If that's Dee Snyder I'm gonna be sooooo pissed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sorry, half the voters in this country, or 63,000,000 people, representing well over half the electoral college.

Trump has lost significant support since the election. He would lose easily if the election were held today. I’m not sure how it is you don’t see that.

1 hour ago, swraith said:

At this point, should the Dems be positioning themselves to try and make the shutdown lady until new House is sworn in? Then have Pelosi lead House pass legislation to reopen the government. Then leave it to Senate led GOP to own the continued shutdown.

This is exactly what they should do. And since trump is a dumbass this is probably what will happen. 

21 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Trump has lost significant support since the election. He would lose easily if the election were held today. I’m not sure how it is you don’t see that.

Meh, I already ranted in the trump thread. People like Slorch who say they don't like Trump anymore aren't enough to prevent him from the nomination, and when it comes to the general they'll happily vote for him again since the alternative will be an "extremist" librual...extremist being defined as literally any democrat.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Meh, I already ranted in the trump thread. People like Slorch who say they don't like Trump anymore aren't enough to prevent him from the nomination, and when it comes to the general they'll happily vote for him again since the alternative will be an "extremist" librual...extremist being defined as literally any democrat.

The Dems took Arizona with a bisexual atheist beating out a decorated, Republican fighter pilot who saw combat. 

The Dems took Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania. 

Even if they only hold three of those states in two years, that’s enough to beat Trump.  

And Trump and Steve-o fucking with the stock market isn’t helping. 

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Disheartening that House GOPs stated plan is that they will pass anything that the senate can pass and that trump will sign. Until then they’re on vacation 

good to see the House leading. 

The timing has me wondering about the play here.  The GOP has until January 3 to get something done in an environment where they control both houses of Congress.  After January 3, any resolution has to get through a Dem-controlled House.

Seems to me that either this gets done by the 3rd.....or we have a standoff that could go for the long haul.  At that point, I think the House passes legit CRs, and puts them on the Senate's desk to deal with.  Let the Senate side with Trump and take the fall for not passing something that the vast majority of Americans will agree with.  Let them get all the way on board the sinking SS Trump.

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

How do you negotiate with Donald Trump?  He changes his mind on what he wants, faster than  a compulsive gambler switches channels watching Bowl games on New Year's Day.

You don't.  Present him with the opportunity to buttfuck himself.  Repeat.

Never negotiate with a psychopath.  He's playing a different game than you are.  So change the goal of your game -- your goal is to make him look like the erratic, impotent failure of a human being that he is.  The emperor has no clothes.  Your job is just to pull back the curtains, shine the spotlight on him, and point and laugh at his tiny mushroom dick.  That's it.  That's all that can be accomplished in this climate, so do it.

• Like 4

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story