2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

We had a very real chance to overhaul our broken immigration system in 2013 when the Senate passed sweeping legislation that not only enjoyed bipartisan support in the upper chamber, but among rank and file liberal and conservative constituencies. It failed because House Republicans knew it would pass if held to a vote:

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/the-real-reason-why-the-house-wont-pass-comprehensive-immigration-reform/

It’s been a year since the Senate passed a comprehensive immigration bill. George and Jeb Bush and Sens. John McCain and Lindsay Graham support it. Conservative public intellectuals such as David Brooks, Grover Norquist, and Karl Rove also support it, as well as more than 100 conservative economists, the Wall Street Journal and the CATO Institute. Comprehensive immigration reform enjoys a level of popularity that should make it a win-win for all involved. Still, House Republicans refuse to support it — even though the Senate recently passed a bipartisan bill with which many conservatives are satisfied. 

With every reason to pass comprehensive immigration reform, why are House Republicans standing in its way? Many claim that the Senate bill amounts to amnesty, a measure they suggest leaves us no better off than we are now. They stress securing the border and expelling the 11 to 12 million “illegal aliens” residing in the United States. 

House Republicans argue that the Senate bill amounts to nothing more than a breach of the rule of law – a foundational conservative tenet.  But something beyond ideology drives House Republicans’ resistance to comprehensive immigration reform. 

Let’s review the case against comprehensive immigration reform from the House GOP’s perspective.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Talks are now speeding towards a bipartisan 45 day funding bill with no border/immigration stuff and no Ukraine money.

Senate R’s want to wait and see if it passes the House so they may just vote against cloture of the bipartisan Senate bill that does include Ukraine money 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ukraine aid will have to wait until November.

House clean funding bill has already surpassed 2/3 of the House to suspend rules. But almost 100 GOP voting no.

McConnell pushed for the Senate bill with Ukraine aid but his caucus overruled him and will push Schumer to just pass the House clean funding bill and worry about Ukraine later in the next bill 

32 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Strong message that Vladimir Putin has a core of serious supporters who will trade most of what they say they want in exchange for helping Russia. Really, really awful outcome on the most important issue. 

I agree except I think they’ll get the funding in November. Senate GOP/McConnell support it and if McCarthy wants to stay speaker, he will have to give in to Dem concessions. 

Most important thing though is averting a shutdown. Those federal employees do not deserve to suffer bc the GOP infighting between Gaetz and McCarthy. 

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Strong message that Vladimir Putin has a core of serious supporters who will trade most of what they say they want in exchange for helping Russia. Really, really awful outcome on the most important issue. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

I agree except I think they’ll get the funding in November. Senate GOP/McConnell support it and if McCarthy wants to stay speaker, he will have to give in to Dem concessions. 

Most important thing though is averting a shutdown. Those federal employees do not deserve to suffer bc the GOP infighting between Gaetz and McCarthy. 

One good thing is that this is getting a lot of Republicans off the fence and even publicly calling out Gaetz and Co, which I did not see coming - I know a ton of Republicans in the House hate Gaetz, but the fact that quite a few are publicly calling him out now means they aren't afraid of him/his supporters any more.  Gaetz tried to bluff and it got called, and he doesn't have the leverage or support he did even a month ago. I don't think he can get McCarthy replaced either at this point, as McCarthy's people were undermining Gaetz like crazy.

I have some faith we'll see Ukrainian support back on the table very soon.

• Hook 'Em 3

It wasn't a pay raise per se.  It was an adjustment to the per diem they can claim while in DC for both food and lodging. Think it came out to about an extra 37K each.

I personally think they should be forced to live with the increased costs of living caused by their actions or inactions.   On the other hand I think they are paid too little, leaving them susceptible to the lobbyists.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

It wasn't a pay raise per se.  It was an adjustment to the per diem they can claim while in DC for both food and lodging. Think it came out to about an extra 37K each.

I personally think they should be forced to live with the increased costs of living caused by their actions or inactions.   On the other hand I think they are paid too little, leaving them susceptible to the lobbyists.   

We should go back to paying them $7 a day like they got for the first 70 years...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I don’t care if they made a million bucks a year, they would still be susceptible to lobbyists. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don’t care if they made a million bucks a year, they would still be susceptible to lobbyists. 

I agree.  I was half assed in my comment, since that pay raise would be tied to restructured campaign finance and lobbying rules in an effort to get big money out of politics.  I know, pie in the sky dreaming.  And not the discussion for this thread.