2018 Poker run good or die

bigup2dahorns

$2/5 with $625

A few limpers and I join in HJ w 78dd. CO and blinds join. $35 pot.

8c5c5h. Checks to CO and he makes it $20. BB and I call. $95 pot.

8h. Checks to CO that makes it $25. BB calls. I raise to $65. CO makes it $150. BB folds. I jam and CO calls (I have him covered by $5). ~$1200 pot

7!!!!!!! He shows Q8 and doesn’t understand what just happened

Poker.

Raise AA UTG to $25. 5 callers. $150 pot.

JT3. I let it check to MP who makes it $35. Button makes it $80. Oops. I decide to just call down. MP calls. $390 pot.

8. Check to button who makes it $100. I call and MP folds. $590 pot.

J. Check call button’s $150 and he shows QJ. Ugh.

***VERY NEXT HAND***
Three limps to button who makes it $25. I raise to $85 w AA. Folds to button who snap calls.

K73. I bet $100 and he makes it $210 w $300 more behind. I shove and he snaps w 77.

Poker?

11 hours ago, Lurch said:

$2/5 with $625

8h. Checks to CO that makes it $25. BB calls. I raise to $65. CO makes it $150. BB folds. I jam and CO calls (I have him covered by $5). ~$1200 pot

Poker.

Yahtzee!!!

14 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Look forward to the banter as I have found this thread very educational.  Small world as I played and won a tournament at Sooner's house.  Nice to see you here B.

What's up! Who are ya? PM if you don't want to post.

13 hours ago, Lurch said:

$2/5 with $625

Poker.

Bam!  Didn't come into play this hand, but this is a spot where we should jam river absolutely. 8 is never folding. Saw a guy the other day have KQ on KKTTQ and he basically minraised river, and obv got instacalled by a king. Jam, they aren't folding.

12 hours ago, Lurch said:

Raise AA UTG to $25. 5 callers. $150 pot.

JT3. I let it check to MP who makes it $35. Button makes it $80. Oops. I decide to just call down. MP calls. $390 pot.

8. Check to button who makes it $100. I call and MP folds. $590 pot.

J. Check call button’s $150 and he shows QJ. Ugh.

***VERY NEXT HAND***
Three limps to button who makes it $25. I raise to $85 w AA. Folds to button who snap calls.

K73. I bet $100 and he makes it $210 w $300 more behind. I shove and he snaps w 77.

Poker?

What a bruuuutal pair of hands to happen back to back JFC. First hand, I actually don't hate the flop check, we are underrepping our hand and keeping the pot smaller. AA on JT3 six handed is not a monster, just a strong hand. I actually think we should fold the river, there's basically nothing except KQ that he may raise the flop with, and bet turn and river that we beat. We lose to any jack, 33, Q9. In game, I can definitely imagine just rolling my eyes and throwing in a one chip call. Second hand, nothing really to be done on that one, except go running kings next time.

54 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I am so out of practice.  But, I've always read, don't call, raise or fold.  Is that not true anymore?  I know the answer to every poker question is "it depends."

I think the concept of "be aggressive rather than passive" is a very good one, since most players play too passively. But, it definitely doesn't mean you should never call. Lots more players are using calling to keep their opponent's range wide. As an example, you are headsup, you have KJ, board is K95. Opponent bets. We obv can't fold. So should we call or raise? If we raise, what happens? Usually villain will fold all the hands we beat, call or reraise all the hands that beat us. Calling loses us less money when beat, and may get us another bet out of hands like TT-QQ or A9. Obviously all of this has to be adapted based on our image and villain tendencies. If villain is an amazing spewbot, raise the KJ and then snap him off when he jams A5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

What's up! Who are ya? PM if you don't want to post.

Bam!  Didn't come into play this hand, but this is a spot where we should jam river absolutely. 8 is never folding. Saw a guy the other day have KQ on KKTTQ and he basically minraised river, and obv got instacalled by a king. Jam, they aren't folding.

What a bruuuutal pair of hands to happen back to back JFC. First hand, I actually don't hate the flop check, we are underrepping our hand and keeping the pot smaller. AA on JT3 six handed is not a monster, just a strong hand. I actually think we should fold the river, there's basically nothing except KQ that he may raise the flop with, and bet turn and river that we beat. We lose to any jack, 33, Q9. In game, I can definitely imagine just rolling my eyes and throwing in a one chip call. Second hand, nothing really to be done on that one, except go running kings next time.

I think the concept of "be aggressive rather than passive" is a very good one, since most players play too passively. But, it definitely doesn't mean you should never call. Lots more players are using calling to keep their opponent's range wide. As an example, you are headsup, you have KJ, board is K95. Opponent bets. We obv can't fold. So should we call or raise? If we raise, what happens? Usually villain will fold all the hands we beat, call or reraise all the hands that beat us. Calling loses us less money when beat, and may get us another bet out of hands like TT-QQ or A9. Obviously all of this has to be adapted based on our image and villain tendencies. If villain is an amazing spewbot, raise the KJ and then snap him off when he jams A5.

Love your analysis.  Years of playing or did you study?

9 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Love your analysis.  Years of playing or did you study?

Both for sure. I haven't done as much of the software study, but lots of reading and posting and thinking about hands, and pretty good amount of playing. When I post about hands here, it's to have discussions and help myself think about hands rather than HERE'S HOW THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYED.

Edited by TXSooner518

First hand, I actually don't hate the flop check, we are underrepping our hand and keeping the pot smaller. AA on JT3 six handed is not a monster, just a strong hand. I actually think we should fold the river, there's basically nothing except KQ that he may raise the flop with, and bet turn and river that we beat. We lose to any jack, 33, Q9. In game, I can definitely imagine just rolling my eyes and throwing in a one chip call.

First hand was $150 to win $850 and I figured he had more than 15% bluffs and weaker pairs.

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

First hand was $150 to win $850 and I figured he had more than 15% bluffs and weaker pairs.

Does he though? He raised flop into 5 opponents, bets turn into 2 opponents, bets river at a size designed to invite calling. I just don't see him showing up with KQ or T9 one time in 7 there.

Like I said, definitely understand why you called, and I think I often call in-game myself because fuck that guy really, but I think we lose money on the call.

• Like 1

figure this is a good spot for this.

Brad Owen is a Las Vegas poker vlogger, and at least publicly, is a net +EV pro player.   He's got his own youtube channel, and every so often I get a recommendation to watch some of his vids.

Saw this one and thought it might show everyone the wackiness going on at Texas Card House, which he reviewed going to sometime in the last 3-4 weeks.

Absolutely laughed out loud at his analysis of Texas Poker  and comparing it to bingo.

32 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Quick question, do you generally buy in for as much as you can or hold some in reserve.  So, for a 1/3 game, would you buy in for 200 and leave 300 in your wallet, presuming you bring 500 to the table.  Or is it, whatever I'm willing to lose is on the table.

You'll find varying opinions on this one but I would answer you with a "both".  I prefer to go into a room/game with at least 3/4 buyins in pocket and always match the high stack at the table up to $800 or so in a 1/3 game (unless its a brand new table).

If the table is established and $800/$1000 is the high stack I will match and then keep another two/three standard buyins ($300/$400) in pocket.  I am always willing to play every dollar I bring to a game so I don't have any concerns about going back into the pocket to add on if the high stacks at the table continue to get bigger.  Some people prefer to keep smaller stacks on the table with backup in pocket.  I don't subscribe to that theory,  I want the most chips in play as possible when the nuts come around, especially in some of these crazier Texas card rooms these days.  I feel like Vegas poker is a lot more standard and have way less maniacs so I don't mind a smaller stack strategy there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zwylde said:

You'll find varying opinions on this one but I would answer you with a "both".  I prefer to go into a room/game with at least 3/4 buyins in pocket and always match the high stack at the table up to $800 or so in a 1/3 game (unless its a brand new table).

If the table is established and $800/$1000 is the high stack I will match and then keep another two/three standard buyins ($300/$400) in pocket.  I am always willing to play every dollar I bring to a game so I don't have any concerns about going back into the pocket to add on if the high stacks at the table continue to get bigger.  Some people prefer to keep smaller stacks on the table with backup in pocket.  I don't subscribe to that theory,  I want the most chips in play as possible when the nuts come around, especially in some of these crazier Texas card rooms these days.  I feel like Vegas poker is a lot more standard and have way less maniacs so I don't mind a smaller stack strategy there. 

Thanks.  In line with my thoughs.

Interesting hand a few nights ago I thought might make for good discussion.

$2/5. 4 limpers to me in CO w Ks4s. I almost never limp, but decide to do so here. I’m going to fold this 95% of the time, but had a WTH moment and went with it. BTN and SB fold, BB checks. $25 pot.

Kh7s7d. Checks around to me and I make it $20. BB check raises me to $65 and rest fold.

Aside: I have a relatively long history w BB. She’s a really cool 40ish white chick who probably plays cash 4-5 nights a week and also all of our larger tourneys, two of which she’s busted me out of. She is a solid TAG who clearly takes advantage of those that think they can push her around. I’m generally very impressed with her play and enjoy battling her for pots. Sadly, she’s also a Fitlump doppelgänger.

Almost anyone else would snap fold here. White chick who saw a free flop check raised a paired board? Easy fold... but I’ve seen her do shit like this w inferior hands and decide that for $45 we should see another card. $115 pot.

2s. She bets $85. I’m struggling to find what hands she does this with that don’t include a 7, but I’ve also now walked into a backdoor flush draw. I figure I have 11 outs (9 spades and 2 kings) for 20%. I’d be betting $85 to win $285 (30%), so I’m not really getting the odds I need. I should fold here, but click the wrong button so we’ll see the river. $285 pot.

Ad. She takes some time (she spends A LOT of time before each action staring at her opponent)... checks? Curveball. Despite failing to identify a non-7 hand in her range on the turn, I now convince myself that she, too, has a K. Surely a 7 will fire a 3rd barrel on this river, hoping I have an ace. I sense weakness and decide a $125 bet here may get her to fold an occasional K.

She calls and shows

75o. Dammit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Quick question, do you generally buy in for as much as you can or hold some in reserve.  So, for a 1/3 game, would you buy in for 200 and leave 300 in your wallet, presuming you bring 500 to the table.  Or is it, whatever I'm willing to lose is on the table.

Kind of depends what your situation is. For me, I don't get to play that often, so having every dollar I have available to play that day on the table means I might be playing literally one hand of poker. That's not good, so I would break up what I have for the session into multiple bullets.

Also depends on how rolled you are for your level as far as what you buy in for.  Generally, I agree, you should get as much on the table as you can, assuming 1) you have an edge in the game, and 2) you are properly bankrolled. If you aren't properly rolled, you will play scared, and also increase risk of ruin both for the session and for your roll.

9 minutes ago, Lurch said:

4. I never should have joined preflop.

Limping behind several limpers with a suited king in late position is fine.

Just fold to the flop checkraise. There is no draw available. She has a 7 or a K, and if she has a K, her kicker is almost always better. Calling would be reasonable on something like KTThh where she can have lots of drawy hands.

Also I would just check the flop a lot.  We might pick up a spade, and are only really unhappy to see 3 cards, the non-spade aces. We aren't gonna get 3 streets of value with this, we control the pot size.  Small hand, small pot.

Turn is fine.

River I have been there, but think we have to bet more if we want her to fold a king.  She has to call $125 to win $410. And what ace are you bet-calling on the flop?  Story not adding up + betting small = we are gonna get looked up a lot.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

Well, i haven't posted in awhile cause i went on a long ass losing streak and who wants to hear that pity party shit. On top of that my backer decided about 3 weeks ago to stop gambling til Jan.1 (yeah right) and said he's not gonna back me. Fine with me, i didn't mind, until i found out he's still backing the other guy. Eh, fuck it right?

So in the past 3 weeks i've won anywhere from $25-$1500 a session. Went on a 6 game winning streak and have won 8 or the last 12 games on my own dime. Needless to say he's not happy and all our buddies are laughing at him.

Not sure i've changed my play that much, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get up and leave when you're getting 100% of your win and not 40% lol

I will tell one hand that took no skill to play what so ever. I'm in middle position with about $400ish in front of me and i make it $30 (1/2/5 game) and get freaking 4 callers. Flop comes 9TQ rainbow, i don't like the flop but i lead out for $65 and get one caller. The caller is not very good and very aggressive and enjoys going after draws. So i'm thinking i need the board to pair to feel at ease in this hand. Turn pairs the board alright, with a Q. So now i have to decide how much he'll call, if any, with me holding quads. I decide to make the same bet of $65 and he rather quickly calls. River is a 2 or something, didn't matter. I tank for a bit looking at him, look down at my stack and at this time i have roughly $220 in front. I feel like a $100 bet would look like i really wanted a call here and maybe a shove will look like i'm bluffing. So i shove and he calls. Supposedly he had J8, but who knows. We had about the same stack so it was a nice little double up, which rarely happens when i hit quads. 

So now with a small poker roll i'm playing Tuesday night (1/3/10) or Thursday (same game) and Sundays (1/2/5).

If i feel like wasting time at the "old folks home" i'll play either Monday night or Thursday night in a 2/4 O8 game. Makes me feel like a kid again playing in that game. I'm 38 and most of them are over 65 LOL

8 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

They are good, and reeeaallll good late evenings especially weekends or touristy times. Enjoy NOLA!

Gonna try, I've never been. Going down for a wedding so i'm hoping i can squeeze in a late night session 

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

Kind of depends what your situation is. For me, I don't get to play that often, so having every dollar I have available to play that day on the table means I might be playing literally one hand of poker. That's not good, so I would break up what I have for the session into multiple bullets.

Also depends on how rolled you are for your level as far as what you buy in for.  Generally, I agree, you should get as much on the table as you can, assuming 1) you have an edge in the game, and 2) you are properly bankrolled. If you aren't properly rolled, you will play scared, and also increase risk of ruin both for the session and for your roll.

Yeah, so I usually go low, let's say 150, and I see someone buy in for 500, it makes it tough, I still play the cards, but it's different.

3 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Yeah, so I usually go low, let's say 150, and I see someone buy in for 500, it makes it tough, I still play the cards, but it's different.

Don't sweat the chip disparities, it's not a tournament. Be aware of the effective stacks, and how it impacts what people would play though. For example, if someone opens to 15 and someone else calls 15, their ranges (should) look a lot different if they are 150 deep vs 1000 deep in a 1/3 game. 

If we are shallow, we have to play less speculative hands, and more TPTK type hands.

But someone doesn't have an advantage over you in a cash game just because their stack is 600 and yours is 150.

18 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Don't sweat the chip disparities, it's not a tournament. Be aware of the effective stacks, and how it impacts what people would play though. For example, if someone opens to 15 and someone else calls 15, their ranges (should) look a lot different if they are 150 deep vs 1000 deep in a 1/3 game. 

If we are shallow, we have to play less speculative hands, and more TPTK type hands.

But someone doesn't have an advantage over you in a cash game just because their stack is 600 and yours is 150.

Thanks.  Would love to get your thoughts on playing AA/KK/QQ in early position. Caught KK under the gun and did a mid size raise 12 bucks, this was at 1/2, biggest preflop raise was around 20 at the table.  I chit you not I got 5 callers.  Someone bet the max on a board of Q/7/J.  I thought I still lead but ended up folding as I was low stack and didn't want to rebuy.  My mistake was the smallish raise, I certainly thought he could've had Q/J, maybe pocket 7s.  Like I said earlier, won a lot that day, but that hand was burned into my head.  Felt like a coward.

Thanks.  Would love to get your thoughts on playing AA/KK/QQ in early position. Caught KK under the gun and did a mid size raise 12 bucks, this was at 1/2, biggest preflop raise was around 20 at the table.  I chit you not I got 5 callers.  Someone bet the max on a board of Q/7/J.  I thought I still lead but ended up folding as I was low stack and didn't want to rebuy.  My mistake was the smallish raise, I certainly thought he could've had Q/J, maybe pocket 7s.  Like I said earlier, won a lot that day, but that hand was burned into my head.  Felt like a coward.
You're playing 1/3 at Ameristar in Blackhawk, right?

Make your standard opening raise with those hands. 12 is fine at 1/2 unless we will get called if we go bigger.

Folding what you think is a winner because you don’t want to rebuy is a form of tilt. You need to recognize that and either put that mindset away or stand up.

What was the exact flop action? How much did we have behind? Any description or read on the player who bet?

57 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Make your standard opening raise with those hands. 12 is fine at 1/2 unless we will get called if we go bigger.

Folding what you think is a winner because you don’t want to rebuy is a form of tilt. You need to recognize that and either put that mindset away or stand up.

What was the exact flop action? How much did we have behind? Any description or read on the player who bet?

Definitely was on tilt as I was gashed early on.  The player that essentially went all in was pretty tight, bought in with a huge stack and dominated the table the first few hours.  He knew poker.  I'm not positive I was bluffed out, but that game has a lot of draws and 12 bucks just may not have been enough to isolate him.  Getting cute with big pairs can often lead to disaster and you get what you deserve.

4 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Definitely was on tilt as I was gashed early on.  The player that essentially went all in was pretty tight, bought in with a huge stack and dominated the table the first few hours.  He knew poker.  I'm not positive I was bluffed out, but that game has a lot of draws and 12 bucks just may not have been enough to isolate him.  Getting cute with big pairs can often lead to disaster and you get what you deserve.

What was your stack?  I thought he had a big stack, but he shoved the flop?  Give some details, and we can chat on it.

1 hour ago, TXSooner518 said:

What was your stack?  I thought he had a big stack, but he shoved the flop?  Give some details, and we can chat on it.

Max bet size in CO is 100.  So if someone bets 50, the max you can bet next is 150.  So it's not really a shove, depending on stacks.  

• Like 1

Saw something new recently in a home game. 

UTG raises and gets three callers (I fold). Flop comes T85 rainbow. 

Long story short, three of the four guys get all of their chips in. Winner has TT, losers had 88 and 55. 

UTG (the only guy that didn’t end up all in) folded QQ. Crazy stuff.

/csb

Edited by housious

That’s awesome!

$2/5

UTG rarely limps. He limps, I follow in UTG+1 w 99. 4 join and we go to flop. $30 pot.

J53 rainbow. UTG bets $25 and 3 of us call. $130 pot.

9. UTG bets $50. I’m thinking he has a set and we’re going to get it all in here, but I really want at least one of the two others to join. I put in the rare min raise and both call... here we go...but UTG pauses and just calls. $530 pot.

5. UTG seems relieved and makes it $175. I shove for $485 total. Other guys fold. UTG has me covered but tanks and open folds 33. Said he thought 55 on turn, but river 5 briefly made him feel good again. Best fold I’ve seen in a while. He’s a damn good player.