2018 Poker run good or die

bigup2dahorns

fuck this fucking game

in tahoe skiing and have played every night. 

they have a small tournament every night at 6. First night around 15 people, top 3 get paid. Get down to 4, go over an hour with one woman never more than 2 big blinds, and over a dozen all ins with the short stack winning every one. I get JT flop JT3, I go all in, get called with Q9, and of course 8 on river. Go to cash table, play 2 hours, get TT and JJ once, raise and every one else folds. Bleed 200 to 50 from calling preflop, only going past the flop once. Had K9 was big blind, no one raised. King on flop, checks around, I bet turn and river, he has AK.

Second night play tournament don't get hand, end up going all in with QJ as it was the best hand I had seen and of course the guy to my left has AA. Out of tournament after playing 2 hands in one hour. Go to cash game. Play about 4 hands in 3 hours while I watch people calling all ins preflop with 77 and on the river with 2nd pairs with small kickers. Finally get AK, raise $15 preflop, 4 callers. A96 flop have $135, bet $35, get 2 callers, turn 8, go all in for $100, get one caller, shows 87, river 7 to give him 2 pair.

Third night got some hands including a JJ that spiked a J on the flop, went all in and called by aces and holds up. Get to final table have 88 two small stacks go all in ahead of me, I call, guy calls behind. Small stacks have 77 and 33, guy behind has AsQs and has me covered by $300. Of course 3 spades come out and I'm gone. 

lol

go back to play Thursday night, get QQ, raise, get 4 callers,  flop JT5, bet, 4 callers, turn 7 bet, guy goes over the top all in, I fold. Played 1.5 hours, never made it past flop again. 

One guy at table burned through $600, $100 at a time, going all in preflop once he dropped below $50. Another guy lost $1200. Best hand was TT raise to $15, called by AJ, another AJ goes all in for $75, AK goes all in for $250, called by TT, called by AJ. Flop AT5, TT takes down $900 pot.

Start heading over to craps table and notice a $10 blackjack table with no shoe. Sure it was 6/5 but single deck by myself? Sign me up. Play a few times through the deck and the dealer is going all the way down to less than 10 cards left. Cha Ching! Turn $50 into $300 and the table then fills up and we're only getting 1 or 2 hands per shuffle so fuck this, I'm going to take lurch's advice and go over to the craps table which had been pretty rowdy while I was playing blackjack. Seven strait shooters, including me, set a point, set a second number, and then crap out. I had the added bonus of throwing 3 12's and snake eyes before I set my second point, for an extra bonus $40 down the toilet. Thanks lurch.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 6:18 PM, Barry_McCokiner said:

@TXSooner518 why do you prefer tourneys?   I think they’re more fun but they have to be tougher as far as making money?

I think they scratch my competitive itch the best. Also, they have a defined start/stop and are a sunk cost. I sometimes have a hard time getting up from a cash game when I need to. I also had a semi-recent good stretch of cash sessions, but so often a cash session for me is "fold J4o for an hour, open ATs, whiff, fold Q2o for an hour, set mine with 77, whiff, flop top two, get it in against an overpair, lose. Repeat."

And the 640k thing.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:30 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Ever have that one hand you wish you could have back? That happened to me in Vegas a month ago. 1/2 NL, I’m UTG and open aces to $15. 8 fucking callers on a 389r flop. Blinds check to me, I bet $25, folds to middle position player who makes it $75. Looking back, I should have seen he flopped a set and he’s charging for straight draws. I call, turn is a king. I lead for $100, he shoves and I call. Yep. He flopped a set. Horrible read on my part.

visiting my folks for thanksgiving and went to the poker room here in Tyler. I’m glad they let you bring booze in because there were quite a few people there that were too intoxicated to play poker. I cashed out when they locked the door up $600. Gave a $20 to the dealers and called it a night. I was definitely getting some hands tonight (AKoff twice, pocket Ks, pocket Qs) and was drilling hands. Nice when that “run good” shows up.

On 11/22/2018 at 6:14 AM, VolenteHawk said:

You’re gonna give Sooner an aneurysm.

I assume he means for the lack of details, not the play, the play seems fine, but the details were also better than lots of people give. Only thing really missing is what were stack sizes? Pot was $135 going to the flop. If I have less than $250 behind, just not folding AA unless the board is horrendous and K983 doesn't qualify.  I don't like betting $25 into $135 on the flop though.  You were basing your sizing on your preflop sizing and not the pot size. I'm betting $55 or so there. Further action depends on stack sizes.

MPs raise is also pretty small.  You have to call $50 into $235, you can call JT there profitably if he shows you 33.

On 11/22/2018 at 8:29 AM, Lurch said:

If you ever have 4 or more see the flop, assume your AA is no good. With 8, you might as well fold dark. Seriously, though, cbet small on flop and check down if you just have to see it through.

Meh, need to proceed with caution, but we are still a favorite 4 handed against most ranges, and still are the most likely hand to be good by far 8 handed. Plus the pot is so big, we have to be good way less to still profit. 

On 11/22/2018 at 9:18 AM, Barry_McCokiner said:

I have a friend who I think is a smart guy fold rockets preflop h2h.  Showed too

He might be smart but is very likely not good at poker.

On 11/22/2018 at 10:59 AM, Lurch said:

The only time you would ever not want all in pre w AA is if you’re trying not to be bubbled in a tourney so you can mincash.

If the mincash is that important/big to you, you made a huge mistake registering in the first place. Obv exception for something like winning a $300 satellite into the main event, and the $15k is big to you.

Only time to fold AA pre is in a satellite where you have a seat locked up. Only way to lose the seat is to play hands.

Even headsup in a tourney, it is almost impossible to be more likely to grind someone down headsup than to have AA hold up. If he shows KK we know we are 82%, but we can be more than that if he has something else, we are over 90% if he has an ace. Someone would have to be truly awful, and a specific kind of awful, to even approach having that likelihood of winning headsup.

Unless you’re honestly leveling someone, it is never advantageous to show. You might think you’re just being nice (particularly when on button and showing blinds you weren’t stealing) but guys like me LOVE seeing your cards as we decode your ranges. Don’t do it.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lurch said:

Unless you’re honestly leveling someone, it is never advantageous to show. You might think you’re just being nice (particularly when on button and showing blinds you weren’t stealing) but guys like me LOVE seeing your cards as we decode your ranges. Don’t do it.

Some will show a bluff or when they have the nuts, not sure that gives away a range. 

20 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Raise two limpers to $35 in MP w QQ. 5 fucking callers.

KQ6 rainbow. That should work. One kindly bets $125 on turn after we chk flop. I can’t milk any more from him though

Oh you would just LOVE these east Texas games then lol

KJs actually does play pretty well 8 handed! You just needed a better flop and treat it as a suited connector and not be super excited about one pair.

If we are opening to $35 first in, we need to be going $40-45 over 2 limpers. Flopping sets is fun!

My open went back down to $25 after a while of no calls, thus the $35 over two limpers. But, yeah
  • Like 1

Poker is such a strange game.  Results of my last two tournaments:

1.  Deepstacks Run Good Series Shreveport:

Day One- I win all of the following hands

AA vs 108hh aipf(108 guy rebought 18 times btw)

KK vs AQ vs QQ vs 1010 vs 45hh aipf(fade 18 outs on the river)

1010 vs 88 on 1082 flop

JJ vs AA on J52 flop

34hh vs AA on AhKh5h flop

Day two- I have double the chips of almost  everyone else(70ish left) but proceed to lose every hand that I don't take down preflop.  We get down to 18 and redraw seats  First hand I get KK and get it all in vs the chip leader who flips over AA.  I get up to leave only to see a K on the flop to get me back to a top 5 stack.  Lose every hand until we get down to 3 players and I have 250k and they both have 2.1millionish.  I win 11 of the last 12 pots and win the tournament.  Easy game

2. WSOP Choctaw Ring Event

I drop 3 buy ins in flight one and 3 in flight two.  I think I got above starting stack maybe twice out of those 6 buy ins.  Drive home and 2am never wanting to play poker again

• Like 2

On 12/2/2018 at 12:25 AM, Lurch said:

If there are regularly 6 callers of your 7x BB raise pre, then go higher until it stops. This is an unusual table tonight for us

This is what ends up happening, but each time is different depending on who is there and who is stuck. Sometimes you have to find out the hard way, that's not fun.

Played a little last night at the 1/3/10 game. Caught a bunch of pocket pairs. 66 started my night off right when I bet pre $25 and got like 5 callers. Flop comes Q high and I c-bet $80 just trying to take it down there. I get one caller who’s on a straight draw and he misses. Didn’t really want to show my hand that time lol

so I’m up around $200(started with $300) when I get AKoff in the SB. I just call the $10(first to act with a button straddle) and of course no one raises it. Flop comes QJT rainbow. I check and the guy to my left bets $25, everyone else folds to me so I just call. Turn is 6, I check and this time he bets $80(only has about $150 behind). I put him all in and he calls with his set of Q’s. River is a safe card and I scoop the pot

Later I raised $25 pre with 77, get two callers and flopped middle set 7T3 two spades. I'm first to act so I lead out for $35, one guy makes it $120, second one shoves for $335. I have them both covered. I tank for a little bit trying to decide if I should raise or just call. I decide I can’t just call and go up against two players with my hand. So I reshove and the first guy folds. Second guy shows T3h. My hand holds. Luckily I went all in, first guy had a small flush draw and would've got there. 

Every time I flop a set I always think about something @TXSooner518 said. Something along with lines of “we’re trying to get it all in on a flopped set”. Or something like that. He can correct me lol So when that time came I figured I’m about to win a big one or get cut in half. Luckily it worked out for me. 

Played a few more rounds then left a $800 winner. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BERT said:

“we’re trying to get it all in on a flopped set”. Or something like that. He can correct me lol So when that time came I figured I’m about to win a big one or get cut in half. Luckily it worked out for me. 

Absolutely. At that point you are trying to take as much money as you can. Always tough to know how much to raise and how much to bluff - really have to play the table at that point.

But, nothing like a straight flop to get your dick hard. Glad the cards fell for you. 

I need to get back into poker...

Big tourney here this weekend. $360, 20k chips. 100k guaranteed.

1st level, 100/100 and I’ve spewed off 2k already.

UTG+1 makes it 700. I call in UTG+2 w AJhh. CO calls then SB makes it 2k. We all call. 8k pot

QhJcTh. Wow. SB (young aggro white guy) bets 5k. UTG+1 (middle age semi aggro white guy) tank calls. I shove 16k. CO makes what looks like a puke fold. SB snaps and UTG+1 says he now has to call and does. Both just barely have me covered so I’m in for a 56k pot.

SB flips AdQs. UTG+1 shows Kh3h. CO says QT (tight fold?)

3c. Damn.

7h! Bingo! Chip leader

• Like 1

I actually think we should generally be folding the first time. Calling 7x raises from early position with AJ in early position usually is losing, and then we end up getting 20 bigs in pre. Of course when other people are doing it with QT and K3 then giddyup.

And yeah QT has to fold there.

Nice hit!! LFG!!

Just rolling along. 82k through 6 levels

The play in lvl 1 was super sloppy by the whole table. I may have made the only 3xbb open in the first orbit and everyone else was in the 500-1k range w theirs so I felt like I could call 700 w AJss.

It’s returned to standard 2.5-3x opens now

92k at 1500/2500/2500

Folds to me w As9c in SB. I make it 6k vs very solid middle aged black dude that plays all of our big tourneys. He’s been beating me up a bit and has 100k. He pulls his BB back and thinks a bit like he’s going to raise, but then just calls.

Ah 9h 8c. Sweet. I check to him, knowing he’ll bet with anything in this spot. Sure enough, he throws out 7k quickly. I’m not thrilled with the potential draw and decide a check raise to 20k will make him pay to chase. He makes it 45k. WTF? I decide he must have a mega draw (JThh, etc) and go ahead and shove.

He snaps w 88. FUCK.

Out.

14 minutes ago, Lurch said:

I check to him, knowing he’ll bet with anything in this spot.

I'm not sure I follow this. If you know he'll "bet with anything" you're basically admitting you have no idea what cards he has. 

Maybe I'm OOTL and you can school me, but claiming absolute knowledge of an opponent in poker seems pretty dangerous. 

Seems like the check/raise decision should be based on your hand, no? If you think he's going to throw money out there either way. 

Edited by ztejas

I'm not sure I follow this. If you know he'll "bet with anything" you're basically admitting you have no idea what cards he has. 
Maybe I'm OOTL and you can school me, but claiming absolute knowledge of an opponent in poker seems pretty dangerous. 
Seems like the check/raise decision should be based on your hand, no? If you think he's going to throw money out there either way. 

The idea would be that some opponents will bet whenever we show weakness. So often when we have a strong hand we need to “give them the rope.” If we bet they will fold unless they also are strong but if we check they will try to push us off our hand.

We can’t narrow his range too much yet when the flop comes. All we know is he called a small raise in the BB when he will be in position. He PROBABLY doesn’t have a monster, as he would likely have reraised. He could just call AA there, but that’s unlikely as we have an ace, then unlikelier still once the flop comes with an ace. Lots of players are defending very wide, some are literally never folding this spot pre. So once we have top two and he could have almost any two cards, we have his range MURDERED and so wanna do what we can to get him to put chips in the middle.

If I bet he is probably folding most of his hands and I get nothing more. Check raise gives me better odds at getting at least some value here, and I LOVE when he calls as it means he has AK/AQ or one of the draws and I’m in a great spot for a big pot.

I’m not too worried about him checking back because I’m fairly confident in who he is as a player. He’d bet to bluff me and he’d bet his draws.

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

If I bet he is probably folding most of his hands and I get nothing more. Check raise gives me better odds at getting at least some value here, and I LOVE when he calls as it means he has AK/AQ or one of the draws and I’m in a great spot for a big pot.

I’m not too worried about him checking back because I’m fairly confident in who he is as a player. He’d bet to bluff me and he’d bet his draws.

You're ignoring my point. Deferring the raise to get more chips in the middle is poker 101. I was more focusing on what you wrote about "knowing he'll bet with anything in this spot". 

If you know he's going to bet with anything, regardless of his pocket, it seems like you are losing control of the table in that scenario. You're basically admitting you have no idea what he has. 

I'm being pedantic and I apologize, but if a player like that wants to keep throwing chips into the oblivion you might as well raise him when you have a good hand, fold when you don't, or reverse it and make it unpredictable so he can't tell when you're bluffing*. Use his tendency against him - don't be prisoner to it. 

Edited by ztejas
brain fart

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Ok cool.

Hey man I don't care if you want to listen to me or not. I'll take your money anytime you want, just give me a time and place. 

Just trying to talk cards. Something you said seemed odd to me and I pointed it out as such.