2018 Poker run good or die

bigup2dahorns

No doubt. QT was in my head

He is almost always going to raise that flop with QT. We have outs if he does have it. So many bad river cards for our hand or our action.

Against a certain player type and on a drier board I like to check back here bc they then bomb river because you must be weak. This board wayyyy too juicy though.

Watching the ESPN coverage they highlight some notable players right now in Day 1B:

Some dude named Lurch

John Hesp

Greg Merson

Chris Ferguson

Jamie Gold

Doug Polk

Maria Ho

Phil Laak

Ryan Riess

Trying not to spoiler anything as we go along for those who want to keep up with Lurch here but then watch the espn coverage later off their recorders

Finished lvl 3 w 44,100.

Guy that did 22k w AA earlier has been a bit active and opens HJ to 1k rather than his typical 800. I raise to 2500 on button w AQo and he snaps 8500. I put it down :-/

Can't fold here once we go 2500. Getting 2:1 on a call, we are much better than 33% against his range. AQ standard get in for 20 bigs late position. If you don't want to call off, flat the 1k.

So 22Aces flops a set of kings and loses to 4card board flush on river. He’s steaming. Next hand he opens to 1200. I pop it to 3500 w QQ in MP. He makes it 1200. Call.

J84. He fires 20k with 15 behind. I fold after long tank. He lets me pick a card and it was an A. Says it was AA.

Ouch.

I then get in a series of bad hands with bad outcomes and lose a lot of chips.

Later, guy opens UTG to 1200. I think about raising but just call w AQo from CO. UTG makes it 1500. On Q high flop. I call and B.B. folds. Low card on turn and we both check. Low card on river and he checks again. I make it 2k, he raises to 6k and I call. He has JJ.

29,200. Dammit.

Dinner break

Fat bearded guy in blue shirt (Thornton) is from Palestine. He’s played in our Sunday game before. Supposed to be a damn good tourney player, not much of a cash game player. 

Guess it’s kinda neat seeing someone on tv that I’ve played with before 

Sooner, I know you are a damn good player but you’re going to get into Lurch’s head with this in-game analysis with the benefit of not being under pressure. Let him play his game.

Nah, I appreciate it. It’s helpful to gauge when I’m being too nitty or aggressive
  • Like 1

So 22Aces flops a set of kings and loses to 4card board flush on river. He’s steaming. Next hand he opens to 1200. I pop it to 3500 w QQ in MP. He makes it 1200. Call.

J84. He fires 20k with 15 behind. I fold after long tank. He lets me pick a card and it was an A. Says it was AA.

Ouch.

I then get in a series of bad hands with bad outcomes and lose a lot of chips.

Later, guy opens UTG to 1200. I think about raising but just call w AQo from CO. UTG makes it 1500. On Q high flop. I call and B.B. folds. Low card on turn and we both check. Low card on river and he checks again. I make it 2k, he raises to 6k and I call. He has JJ.

29,200. Dammit.

Dinner break

Good fold with the QQ. You still have TONS of chips. No worries.
  • Like 1

75/250/500 w 27k

HJ opens to 1100, CO calls. I call on button w KcTc. SB makes it 4100. Only I call.

Ad5c6c. He makes it 6500 and I call.

Th. He jams and has me covered. I can’t pull the trigger. He tells me he had AK on our walk to new table

UTG opens 1100. UTG+1 makes it 3500. Do I jam 30 bigs w JJ? I decide to just call in HJ. UTG joins to flop.

J22. UTG checks, +1 makes it 3500 again. We call and UTG folds.

K. Chk chk

T. He checks, I cut out 3k leaving 6k behind. He doesn’t go for it and folds.

27k.

Congrats on making Day 2! You have to lose the idea that you're short stacked. You have almost 50 bigs and the levels are 120 minutes. Not even approaching desperation. Don't worry about trying to keep up with average stack, it's meaningless right now.

75/250/500 w 27k

HJ opens to 1100, CO calls. I call on button w KcTc. SB makes it 4100. Only I call.

Ad5c6c. He makes it 6500 and I call.

Th. He jams and has me covered. I can’t pull the trigger. He tells me he had AK on our walk to new table

Pretty tough hand. Any reads on SB? I sometimes just pitch this to the 41 but we are getting a sweet price and have position. I would be ok going with it if the flop was Ac5c6d because then we know we have the nut draw. Super disaster to call off into AcQc or something. You probably played it optimally.

UTG opens 1100. UTG+1 makes it 3500. Do I jam 30 bigs w JJ? I decide to just call in HJ. UTG joins to flop.

J22. UTG checks, +1 makes it 3500 again. We call and UTG folds.

K. Chk chk

T. He checks, I cut out 3k leaving 6k behind. He doesn’t go for it and folds.

27k.

Another tough one. Reads on UTG and UTG1? With different positions I happily jam 30bb here, but this is tough and could be a jam, call or fold depending. Dang why can't he have AQ one time? Just jam river, you are never bluffing betting 3k into 20k. He's calling 9k just as often, maybe more, than he calls 3k.

I open MP to 1500 w KJs. Button calls.

KQ6. I make it 2 k and he calls.

J. I make it 4k and he calls.

5. Chk chk and I take it down.

34k.

Why check river? Get value! We have a big hand. All we lose to are 66, KQ and AT and he usually will have let us know he has those.

BTW, I offer commentary on the hands for discussion, etc., not to try to be some fountain of knowledge. It helps me learn to talk through hands. I do know that 1) it's easier to play it when not at the table and 2) he made it in to the main and I did not so there is that.

To your point Tony, I did debate making the post that you replied to because I don't want to mess Lurch up. He's a very good player and knows what he's doing. But certain spots will come up over and over and if you have the wrong mindset in them because it's the Main Event you cost yourself equity. I want him to win this sonofabitch.

Now LFG!!
  • Like 2

Coming back to about 50 BBs? Still some room to maneuver and keep the dream alive.

Trying to remember how you did last year. I think it was close to the money but just short.

Yeah, went out mid day 3 and they cashed that night

Congrats on making Day 2! You have to lose the idea that you're short stacked. You have almost 50 bigs and the levels are 120 minutes. Not even approaching desperation. Don't worry about trying to keep up with average stack, it's meaningless right now.

No doubt, you’re right. It is difficult to avoid feeling desperate while watching the other guys stacks building.

First guy was pretty tight but I caught him bluffing earlier so that was still in play.

Second two guys were both fairly aggressive. I could picture either one of them trying to push me out. UTG said he was going to chk raise flop but changed his mind. He correctly said my hand once play was over.

Last guy was the one that check raised bluffed river on me earlier. I didn’t think I could stomach him doing that here

19 hours ago, Lurch said:

No doubt, you’re right. It is difficult to avoid feeling desperate while watching the other guys stacks building.

First guy was pretty tight but I caught him bluffing earlier so that was still in play.

Second two guys were both fairly aggressive. I could picture either one of them trying to push me out. UTG said he was going to chk raise flop but changed his mind. He correctly said my hand once play was over.

Last guy was the one that check raised bluffed river on me earlier. I didn’t think I could stomach him doing that here

Then hand 1 seems totally fine IMO, with folding to the 4100 also fine.

Hand 2, if both are aggressive, it's a jam.  We have 15k and there is 5k in the middle already.  When we just call 3500 with 11.5 behind, we really turn our hand pretty face up.  We have something like 99-JJ, with the occasional AQ/AK.  We never have JTs or 44 or AA.  

Hand 3, we should like inducing bluffs when we are strong, but if you think you may talk yourself into folding to the raise, I can understand checking.

Play well and run better today!!

• Like 1

UTG (32k) opens to 1600. Agro pro (80k) on button makes it 4600. SB (50k) calls. I (24k) have JJ in BB.

I shove.

UTG shoves.

Button shoves.

SB slam folds QQ face up.

UTG flips AA.

Button flips KK.

K on flop holds.

Gg