Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Do your own work next time..... It's not hard.

And yes, with Sam probably a no doubt starter for 2 years, he probably wants to go somewhere with a better chance of starting.  This is the new era of college football.  Imagine what happens when they get rid of sitting out a year.

Phone won’t let me 🤷🏼‍♂️

6 minutes ago, ApocalyseTexas said:

Makes me think Shane is staying be here two more years.  I feel pretty good about having Sam and Shane for the next two years

Really? Shane has been a class act but he's a terrible fit for this offense unless of course the O-line improves by leaps and bounds next season.

Watching how coaches handle quarterbacks today is fascinating.

Consider Georgia, where a freshman Jake Fromm takes his team to the national championship and loses on the last play, but has to look over his shoulder the following year because of a true freshman who fans are clamoring to get on the field.

Or Alabama, Where a junior who has lost three games in his time there is replaced by a sophomore.

I would not want any part of managing a quarterback room nowadays. The entitlement among that group has to be incredible.

Also, if we think Shane is a viable replacement for Sam, we don’t have quite the quarterback depth we wish we did.

Edited by Ghost of Shag

Hmm. There was always gonna be a logjam at the position with Rising and Thompson in the same class and stuck behind Sam. I figured we'd see one of them transfer or two after Ehlinger left and there was a competition between those two and Johnson. Also interesting is that this would seem to put the Buchele transfer question to bed - I'd think the inside track to QB2, which in turn is the inside track to QB1 in 2021 (or earlier if Ehlinger gets injured) would be enough to keep Rising here as opposed to burning a year of eligibility sitting out or at a JUCO. If Buchele isn't leaving and is holding onto that backup spot, that changes the calculus a bit. Wasted year of eligibility either way in that case.

Another angle - Rising is the more traditional pocket passer between he and Thompson, yes? Maybe seeing up close and personal what the QB position is asked to to in the running game in this offense made him think he wasn't a fit or would be better off elsewhere, especially with Thompson and especially Johnson being more talented runners.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

May not be popular but I don’t like needing a running QB yo run this offense. Too many chances for injuries like we’ve seen.

But the defense accounting for the run is what makes it lethal if done right. I'd rather do this than an Air Raid sort of thing that falls apart against good secondaries, or a Jimbo-style old-school slow slog.

• Like 2

May not be popular but I don’t like needing a running QB yo run this offense. Too many chances for injuries like we’ve seen.

I'm with you 100 percent. The way Ehlinger is used is even harder on the body - more Tebow or Klien than Vick or Young. Perhaps Rising thought the same thing.

Ideally, the OL and RB groups continue to progress so QB runs can be used more selectively.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Rising had to know that coming in though. Herman’s body of work with QB’s would have shown that.

I digress. Apologies for derailing.

At the time Rising committed and even when he signed, he probably didn't think Sam had a vicegrip on the starting job.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm with you 100 percent. The way Ehlinger is used is even harder on the body - more Tebow or Klien than Vick or Young. Perhaps Rising thought the same thing.

If Rising thought the same thing, he'd also know that he'd have opportunity for significant playing time next year even if he wasn't the starter. Sam is as durable as they come and he's still had to miss injury time.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Danny's just reporting what Herman said at the press conference. Tom was asked point-blank if he expected to lose any QBs, and he said no.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I honestly thought rising would beat Shane out for QB2 next year. Maybe that wasn’t looking like the case. 

I thought everyone assumed Rising would be QB2 with significant playing time whether Shane stayed or not. Seems weird.