Cam Rising is on the transfer portal...

Fug

33 minutes ago, thepop said:

It means we finally have a starting QB. I wouldn't say that sucks.

Yep. I think some of you are overthinking this. If Cam thinks his best outcome is to be the backup in 2019 and 2020, then he's transferring because he believes he can be the starter at another school in 2020. It makes sense even if it's not ideal for us.

This situation is a sign of the times with the new transfer rule.   OKSt had  key receiver Jalen McCleskey declare for transfer and leave the team before he played in 4 games this year.   Stated he was not getting the ball enough.

We are actually fortunate to have a crowded QB room with schlolarship QB's.    After Fields announced his intent to enter the portal,  Georgia had to scramble (likely with a bagman)  before NSD to flip Dwan Mathis from Ohio St.   The other QB's on their roster are preferred walk-ons. 

Here's an idea for a reporter or ambitious Surly folk.....

Pull together a list of the P5 Teams projected 3 Deep QB spots for 2019 Season including their class breakdown (Fr, Soph, Jr, Sr).....

Might make for a fun exercise to guess where some of these backup QBs that consider transferring might go??

10 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Yep. I think some of you are overthinking this. If Cam thinks his best outcome is to be the backup in 2019 and 2020, then he's transferring because he believes he can be the starter at another school in 2020. It makes sense even if it's not ideal for us.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is overthinking it.  Everyone hoped he's be better than Sam or at least be willing to sit and play as a junior and senior.  I can't blame him for not wanting to do that.  I think Casey and Cam signed on because they saw 2017 Sam and thought they would supplant him easily.  They didn't count on Sam being a stone killer.  It's not ideal, but having two more years with a stud starting QB is better than where we were, even if that means we don't have potentially elite quality back ups.  Hope he stays healthy so lack of experienced, high quality depth doesn't bite us in the ass. 

This situation is a sign of the times with the new transfer rule.   OKSt had  key receiver Jalen McCleskey declare for transfer and leave the team before he played in 4 games this year.   Stated he was not getting the ball enough.
We are actually fortunate to have a crowded QB room with schlolarship QB's.    After Fields announced his intent to enter the portal,  Georgia had to scramble (likely with a bagman)  before NSD to flip Dwan Mathis from Ohio St.   The other QB's on their roster are preferred walk-ons. 

It's a safe bet that this will continue to get more common, especially among QBs. Only one QB can play at a time, so if a guy has NFL hopes but doesn't have a really clear pathway to playing time, it's not exactly surprising that he's going to be looking around. Any other position, he can probably get in the rotation early and start building the resume, but at QB the clock is always ticking.

The upside is that any major program that suddenly finds itself with a thin depth chart is going to get interest from some pretty decent upperclassman prospects.

4 hours ago, SDG said:

Maybe Shane isn't transferring?  Mike Leach should be on line one.  

Lolz at a UT QB fitting the mold of a Mike Leach boy.  Colt was the last one with the right mental toughness and arm skill.

I'll give you all the props in the world if it happens, but it doesn't seem like a match to me.

If his goal is to play in 2020, what program is going to give meaningful practice snaps to a player that cannot play.  And there is no reason to transfer at this moment.  Why not compete in the spring and beat out Shane and lock up QB2 for the next 2 years.  Learn, develop, and then crush it your JR and SR years.  Maybe Herman should have played him for a drive or two in games this year in garbage time (not sure we ever had garbage time this year) to keep him happy.  And if he can't beat out Shane, then transfer at the end of spring.  

Oh well, RoJo is the real deal.  The kid is tailor made for Herman.

Edited by victory88

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Jesus. Does no one want to work anymore? You’re a true fresh that redshirted and all the sudden the path to starting is to hard so quit and move on?  Just as we started to build depth too.  Oh well next man up. 

My thoughts also.

Good luck to Cam.

Ok, cool...Hook em!

21 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pull together a list of the P5 Teams projected 3 Deep QB spots for 2019 Season including their class breakdown (Fr, Soph, Jr, Sr).....

Might make for a fun exercise to guess where some of these backup QBs that consider transferring might go??

1.  UT 2010-2017

too bad they didn't implement this 10 years ago.  Otoh, who knows how the dynamics would have shifted if we had been able to pick up a few QBs from the transfer wire, in regards to roster, coaching and AD today  

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

Our choices are:

4. Fantasyland in which great starters come back and all the depth and recruits are happy to forego playing CFB so that our depth chart remains optimal. These guys have 5 to play 4.3, and that’s it forever. In the real world, that leads to tough choices.

except this fantasyland scenario is Alabama.  Im not saying all their Qbs in the last 10 years have beeen world beating great ones, but there have been a hell of a lot of really good ones who graduate and are immediately replaced by another really good one who waited 2 years

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

except this fantasyland scenario is Alabama.  Im not saying all their Qbs in the last 10 years have beeen world beating great ones, but there have been a hell of a lot of really good ones who graduate and are immediately replaced by another really good one who waited 2 years

No argument. I can think of at least one good and one bad difference between us and Bama, though.

Edited by Magus Ossis

6 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

bama has had a lot of QBs transfer.

• Like 1

Folks who want Shane to leave might want to back off of that position....

It's been rumored recently that BOTH Rising & Casey have been unhappy and considering a transfer.  Hope that doesn't happen, but if it did there would be lots of Horns fans glad to have Shane return as a backup QB.  

Clemson had to have their best WR Renfrow take some snaps at QB this year when Bryant left them high and dry early in the 2018 Season.....

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Lolz at a UT QB fitting the mold of a Mike Leach boy.  Colt was the last one with the right mental toughness and arm skill.

I'll give you all the props in the world if it happens, but it doesn't seem like a match to me.

Never thought it would happen, I just love how ML keeps taking table scraps and winning 8-10 games a year.  As someone who went to both schools I know it’s a different game but Mikes history should get him castoffs without issue. 

18 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Besides the depth chart there always the possibility that the kid wants to play closer to home. We as fans thing of the program but they have more going on than that. He could be hoping to get picked up by UCLA or USC. 

Maybe.  USC's QB has 3 more years whereas Sam's only got 2 more, so I doubt he's USC bound if he's afraid of stiff competition to start.

This suck, but it shows he's mentally weak if he can't sit it out or win it out. All it takes is to win in practice, and when Sam inevitably gets hurt running, show what you can do. In the end, it's whatever. Sucks it's him, but Thompson looked pretty legit. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Folks who want Shane to leave might want to back off of that position....

It's been rumored recently that BOTH Rising & Casey have been unhappy and considering a transfer.  Hope that doesn't happen, but if it did there would be lots of Horns fans glad to have Shane return as a backup QB.  

Clemson had to have their best WR Renfrow take some snaps at QB this year when Bryant left them high and dry early in the 2018 Season.....

Hate being right.... Casey Thompson just reported to be in NCAA Transfer Portal now too.....

Edited by LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So it’s being reported that both Rising and Thompson are in the transfer portal.

Hopefully they are both seeing what is out there and both don’t leave.

Unfortunately I'm sure there are really good options out there for both of them.  Oh well.  Next man up. 

Eh... is it not a bit awkward if you stay after not finding a landing spot on the transfer portal?  I’m sure it will be an easy decision as to whom to invest your coaching and practice reps to.  RoJo, who bleeds burnt orange... or Rising/Thompson, who seem likely to bail if things aren’t handed to them.  Dumb decision on both their parts to enter the portal without knowing forsure they want to leave.  

Eh... is it not a bit awkward if you stay after not finding a landing spot on the transfer portal?  I’m sure it will be an easy decision as to whom to invest your coaching and practice reps to.  RoJo, who bleeds burnt orange... or Rising/Thompson, who seem likely to bail if things aren’t handed to them.  Dumb decision on both their parts to enter the portal without knowing forsure they want to leave.  

It’s perfectly acceptable for both qbs to say “hey, someone stole my password. I was haxxxd”.
The all will be forgiven.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4754628

If I were them, I'd have signed here with the intent of holding the clipboard until Ehlinger graduates. Seemed like the perfect situation - you don't have to get thrown into the fire as an underclassman, you get 2-3 years to learn the offense, and still have 2 years of eligibility left once you become the starter in 2021 and the program is past the rebuilding phase.

Looking at Twitter (I know, I know...) Thompson has been retweeting a bunch of shit about “giving it up to God” etc and retweeted Tate martell about not “swinging and striking out.. especially on your second time”. Looks to me like he’s gonna be gone regardless of what Rising does. 

I did not sleep in a holiday inn last night, though, so take that fwiw

11 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Normal for players who are expected to stay to remove all things Texas from their Twitter, or no?  I don't know how the Twitter works exactly.

Eh, easy to put it back up, too. If he comes back and is a good teammate through bowl and/or spring practices it'll be fine. 

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm hoping Taylor Swift sits on my face on Christmas, but here we are. 

You must be mentally weak if you’re giving up that easily. It’s only the 23rd. She still has 2 face-shopping days left. Hang in there, you never know what can happen.  

• Like 2

One has to go obviously. That is if Shane is staying. All major programs will see this happen soon.

I have been wondering about this exact scenario since at least this time last year after hearing discussion of Texas’ QB recruiting strategy. We brought in Cam and Casey in the same class and seek to continue to bring in at least one or two similarly highly touted QBs in each class each year. While that of course makes sense for us (and you certainly don’t want to have a lack of depth of QBs), that does create a logjam of QBs who all thought they were gonna be “the man” once they got to campus and got acclimated. Given this new climate of players (and especially QBs) seeking transfers if things aren’t going exactly as they foresaw, I’m not sure what a coach is to do about it. How does a coach in Herman’s situation (honestly) assure (each of) these kids that they’ll end up starting? I don’t know.

Also, I’m pretty sure I hadn’t heard the words “transfer portal” in connection with CFB until last week or so ago.

c3e7765b4efc323b1ac74561f25503b4.jpg