Texas transfer portal talk

BurntOrangeBlooded15

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

someone on the recruiting board is saying Overshown may be next.  who fucking knows.

That would suck. I read a bowl practice report in one of these threads that indicated they were moving him around in bowl practices, which I would think would be in an attempt to get him on the field. I don't really blame either of those QBs for looking around but Overshown doing so would seem to be a really weird decision. Hopefully it's just a rumor. 

Also, I know the ship has sailed on Carter, but with how thin the RB room looks after NSD and how pedestrian Young looked this year, I'm surprised he doesn't see the opportunity to get some snaps at RB. He definitely showed flashes last year. He could fill the Trey Watson roll nicely.

Also, I know the ship has sailed on Carter, but with how thin the RB room looks after NSD and how pedestrian Young looked this year, I'm surprised he doesn't see the opportunity to get some snaps at RB. He definitely showed flashes last year. He could fill the Trey Watson roll nicely.
That's because he fumbled the opportunity for snaps.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

If someone can embed tweets, Jordan Moore just announced a transfer from TAMU with his Josh telling him to come here. 

aggy would probably block a transfer here or he may have to walk-on first. Jordan Moore would probably be depth at best if he ever ended up here.

16 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

aggy would probably block a transfer here or he may have to walk-on first. Jordan Moore would probably be depth at best if he ever ended up here.

Aggie can't block transfer to Texas under new transfer rules.....

Not saying it will happen, but Aggie could sign Rising or Casey if they want.....

Edited by LTtxfan

really going to be interesting how guys who enter the portal are perceived if they remove themselves.  maybe there should be some rule about how many times you can do that during your 5 to play 4.  there has to be some limit to the insanity.  I know everyone points to head coaches but a) they are professionals and b) there are only 120 of them.

Edit: it can also make guys who are redshirt freshmen/sophomores think twice.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Every single transfer thread someone talks about 'blocking'.  Clearly it's going to take some time until people realize that's not a thing anymore.

Conferences are still allowed to have more restrictive rules if they choose..... (Ex:  Block in-conference transfers)

"NCAA announced that beginning in October, all Division I athletes will have the ability to transfer to any other school without any restrictions being put upon them by their former schools. Prospective schools will not need to ask permission to the athlete’s former school to talk to them. When an athlete declares he or she intents to transfer, there name is placed in a nationwide database, and then any school can contact them about the potenial of them attending their institution."

"However, conferences are still allowed to set stricter rules on transfers than the national rule. Though, with the new change its not expected many of these potential rules will be very strict."

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Conferences are still allowed to have more restrictive rules if they choose..... (Ex:  Block in-conference transfers)

"NCAA announced that beginning in October, all Division I athletes will have the ability to transfer to any other school without any restrictions being put upon them by their former schools. Prospective schools will not need to ask permission to the athlete’s former school to talk to them. When an athlete declares he or she intents to transfer, there name is placed in a nationwide database, and then any school can contact them about the potenial of them attending their institution."

"However, conferences are still allowed to set stricter rules on transfers than the national rule. Though, with the new change its not expected many of these potential rules will be very strict."

But nobody has have they?  So what's you point?

15 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But nobody has have they?  So what's you point?

1) Not sure if B12 has waived its Rule of 1 year reduction of eligibility for in-conference undergrad transfers yet. 

2) Still not sure if SEC has dropped its Rule on the ability to block in-conference undergrad transfers by Head Coaches yet.

Hope that helps.....

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

That's because he fumbled the opportunity for snaps.

Didn't stop Young from seeing snaps...

I posted this on the Recruiting Board in the 2019 thread as well.

The Portal - I have pretty intimate knowledge with it and how it works.  I can tell you that currently, in one small female NCAA D1 sport, there are 160ish players on the portal, today.  That is for a non-revenue, no life after college, female sport.  I can't imagine what Football, Basketball and Baseball look like.  Here are some facts on how the portal works:

• A student-athlete does NOT have to inform their coach of an intent to transfer.  They can walk into the compliance office and request to be put on the portal.  Once that request is made, the compliance office has 48 hours to put the student-athletes name on the portal.
  • Once the student-athlete requests to be put into the portal, all contact from any sport coach to that athlete is cut-off.  So in this case, no football coach can contact Rising or Thompson directly.  That athlete can contact coaches, that is ok, and a coach can request a meeting with the student-athlete but it has to be done through the compliance office and a compliance office official must be present during the meeting.  This is assuming the player went in without telling the coach.  If the coach was notified prior, the student-athlete can waive the no contact rule.
  • Once on the portal, a student-athlete can be contacted by any coach in the country...it's free reign.  And every coach has access to the portal.
  • Yes, a student-athlete can start taking visits, including official ones, if they have any remaining from their original recruitment.  Remember, you only get 5 paid official visits.
  • Student-athletes on the portal are not required to sit out a year automatically.  The conference transfer rules will be applied to the student-athlete...coaches may NOT individualized transfer rules to be applied to individual student-athletes.
  • Once a student-athlete enters the portal, their future financial aid cutoff.  So, if you do it before the beginning of the spring semester, you will not be on scholarship in the spring.  So essentially Rising and Thompson have forfeited their scholarships for the spring.  Also, your access to athletic facilities, trainers, etc. is immediately terminated.  The coach from the sport can ask for that sanction to be waived - so if Rising and Thompson went to Herman and gave him a heads up, and he's ok with it, he can tell compliance that he would still like for them to have access to athletic facilities and such.  This is how they can be currently practicing with the team while on the portal.
  • Athletes on the portal do not fall under the same recruiting guidelines as first time recruits when it comes to contact period, dead period, quiet period, signing period, etc.  They can be contacted any time after their name shows up on the portal.
  • Football is the only sport that has a set game number to determine a redshirt.  All other sports operate as any participation constitutes using a year of eligibility.  If you're going to redshirt in non-Football sports it has to be declared before the season begins.  The shirt can be pulled at any time, but one can not be applied after the start of the season.

Hope this helps give a little bit of clarity on how this thing works.  I have no idea how this thing came about, but it really is an awful thing to have right now.  I know that several sports have already proposed legislation to change the portal drastically, or to get rid of it all together.  But those things only happen every two years, so this will be the model for at least two years.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

1) Not sure if B12 has waived its Rule of 1 year reduction of eligibility for in-conference undergrad transfers yet. 

2) Still not sure if SEC has dropped its Rule on the ability to block in-conference undergrad transfers by Head Coaches yet.

Hope that helps.....

SEC has waived the block for grad transfers.

But schools still have the right to block for other scenarios.  Public pressure typically will be in the athlete's favor, and a coach would probably cave to public pressure.

57 minutes ago, meansonny said:

SEC has waived the block for grad transfers.

But schools still have the right to block for other scenarios.  Public pressure typically will be in the athlete's favor, and a coach would probably cave to public pressure.

Yeah, SEC changed its grad transfer rule in June 2018.  Still waiting to see how SEC handles the undergrad transfers.....

Quote:  "The final day of SEC spring meetings in Destin, Florida, was loaded with news on the transfer front. Presidents voted on Friday that players who have received their degrees from SEC schools can move within the conference and play right away, without the need for a waiver. In addition to the graduate transfer rule, the SEC also passed a rule that allows players on teams facing NCAA sanctions to move within the conference without sitting out." 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

My prediction for this portal thing is that this will cause a sea change in the college landscape. The Alabamas of the world will no longer be able to stockpile talent because the majority of these highly rated kids will transfer around if they dont like sitting for a year more than they feel they should. That will cause huge and unexpected roster holes and allow for more parity across the landscape.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

My prediction for this portal thing is that this will cause a sea change in the college landscape. The Alabamas of the world will no longer be able to stockpile talent because the majority of these highly rated kids will transfer around if they dont like sitting for a year more than they feel they should. That will cause huge and unexpected roster holes and allow for more parity across the landscape.

Maybe. Or it will amount to free agency and the top teams will be able to avoid roster holes because they'll fill them with transfers. So instead of teams inevitably having a few spots filled by freshmen or lesser players, they will fill them with transfers, often upper-classmen with experience.

And maybe great players who were overlooked out of high school will start migrating toward the top teams after a couple of years in the Mountain West or the Sun Belt. 

It will probably be some of both. 

• Like 1

I predict the exact opposite. The rich get way richer and unbeatable. The poor get way poorer and unable to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Maybe. Or it will amount to free agency and the top teams will be able to avoid roster holes because they'll fill them with transfers. So instead of teams inevitably having a few spots filled by freshmen or lesser players, they will fill them with transfers, often upper-classmen with experience.

And maybe great players who were overlooked out of high school will start migrating toward the top teams after a couple of years in the Mountain West or the Sun Belt. 

It will probably be some of both. 

This is eventually where this will go and schools like Texas will be just fine where as schools like Houston will suffer.  Most P5 schools will feed off the smaller division schools taking their best players 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I predict the exact opposite. The rich get way richer and unbeatable. The poor get way poorer and unable to win.

So far, this is the correct answer.  Mid major/non-P5 will essentially become a feeder system.  Kids at those schools who perform (conference MVP, all-conference types) will transfer out to bigger schools.  Non-P5's will basically become a training ground.  This won't affect the Alabama's of the world negatively...they'll be able to fill immediate holes and needs with proven college players much more easily.

This portal will have a huge trickle down effect in recruiting as well, especially in sports not named football.  The sport I referenced above has 160+ players on the portal.  That is 160 new scholarship opportunities for 2019 and 2020 kids to fill.  This is where I think Junior Colleges will start to thrive.  So now a school has three options available to them for filling a spot, and the route they choose will be dependent on the depth they have a the position.

1. You get a college ready player from another school via the portal (this will be the option for a lot of P5's)
  2. You fill the spot with another HS recruit
  3. You go get a JUCO player

Option 1 is where it's going to get NASTY.  This is completely hypothetical:  Let's say that Thompson and Rising leave, and Shane decides he's ready to get into coaching now.  So who is our backup, today?  Now Tom has to decide if getting another HS kid is his best option, or if he wants a transfer.  He looks at the portal and doesn't see who he wants, but he knows the QB at University X had a huge year, put up ridiculous numbers, etc.  Tom calls the QB's HS coach, trainer, gf, whoever to find out if he's happy.  During the conversation he talks about having an immediate needs, sells some playing time because of Sam's injury history, etc.  By the time the conversation is over, Tom has convinced the person on the other end of the line that Texas needs them and if they can get the QB on the portal Texas will take them.  This option is what will make the rich way richer...they can cherry pick college proven kids to fill needs.  And be honest, who would turn down Alabama, tOSU, Texas, OU, etc. in this situation?

Option 1 is already happening in other sports, at a VERY high rate.  Teams selling "we are a World Series, Final Four, championship team and you are the one missing piece we need.  Get on the portal and come join us."  It's freaking ridiculous.  I don't think football has had the time to start working the system yet, since it was put into place during their season.  But I'm calling it now, this spring will get WILD as far as the portal goes.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Yeah no.  Kids go to bama to win titles even the 4th stringers go to the nfl. They aren’t leaving bama to go start for bowling green  see Jalen hurts or the 4th string wrs 

1 hour ago, texashorn13 said:

What's also concerning is that a lot of athletes are going to put themselves into the portal with hopes of bettering their situation, but in the end they won't get picked up and will end up with nothing at all.

I kind of hope this happens once or twice. For the true freshman who come in and think they should start right away. And then quit to fin another school instead of working to earn time maybe it will stem the one year tide. I get it for 2-3 year guys. But fresh out of highschool not given the reigns right away is ridiculous 

10 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

If Rising and Thompson have waived their scholarships for the spring, certainly sounds like they are leaving rather than “just exploring options”.

They talked about this on the Recruiting 2019 thread. They have until January 22nd before they lose their scholarship. Basically, they can pull their name from the portal before January 22nd and everything stays the same and they keep their scholarship with UT. 

Post #36641 in that thread for more detail

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...