Wireless with app thermostat for home

There was a thread in beds or CYHMWT or nastys but I can't find it. 

Anyhow looking for an inexpensive wireless 'stat for a remote media room in my house. Don't want to pay for nest for all their time and learning features. All I want is to turn it on and off and to a certain temp. 

Any recs on a Amazon or big box to look at for This? 

In your case, probably not.  No one is home during the weekday/school day, so we let the temp rise.  It'll be cool again by the time anyone gets home, so you save the money by not having the AC/heat run when no one is home.  The wireless part is nice in that you can be in bed or the media room and adjust things without having to stop whatever you are doing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Does it help save you money? My wife (no pics) is a stay at home mom so it would just be set at the same temp every day

It's an atic style media room. Gets hot AF in the summer, id like to cool it down in advance. 

Also, you wife doesn't always stay at home during the day. 

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

i run ecobees and like them, but not sure they fit the inexpensive bill relative to the honeywells. 

i also use ecobee.  nice when you wake up hot or cold and you can use the app to adjust the temp.

I had a basic Honeywell wifi thermostat that I really liked. Very easy to use with the iPhone app.

Current house has the Honeywell Lyric smart thermostat since we moved in and I've never been able to connect it to our wifi. I need to replace it with the other kind.

Make sure to never install near a kitchen or on the opposite side of a wall of a garage, as that will distort any readings...

And Honeywell as mentioned sells great products in the t-stat line that are Android compatible... You can also buy an infrared surface thermometer before you finalize the install...

• 6 months later...

Do any of these wifi thermostats have settings to warn you if the temp gets too cold?  I finally got wifi up at our mountain house and want to install one of these to keep an eye on the place when we're not up there.  Heat is baseboard electric (and wood stove), so in the winter it is cold as fuck and really expensive to heat.  I drop the heat down to 50 when we're not there.  I'd like to be able to turn the heat up before we come up, but I'd also like to be able to keep an eye on it and know if the heat drops below a certain temp so I can intervene before something freezes.

I would think an easy solution would be simple internet capable weather station for the outdoor temps.  If you are talking about temps inside of the home, the Honeywell Total Comfort system will give you that info (not sure about the others).

10 minutes ago, Catpfish said:

I would think an easy solution would be simple internet capable weather station for the outdoor temps.  If you are talking about temps inside of the home, the Honeywell Total Comfort system will give you that info (not sure about the others).

I'm guessing all wifi enabled t-stats will communicate the inside temp in real time to a connected phone.  Chewbacca is asking if they can send you an alert or alarm if the temp drops below a certain threshold.  

Edited by BottleRocket
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BottleRocket said:

I'm guessing all wifi enabled t-stats will communicate the inside temp in real time to a connected phone.  Chewbacca is asking if can send you an alert or alarm if the temp drops below a certain threshold.  

This is exactly what I'm after.

On 3/27/2018 at 10:46 PM, markstanco said:

There was a thread in beds or CYHMWT or nastys but I can't find it. 

Anyhow looking for an inexpensive wireless 'stat for a remote media room in my house. Don't want to pay for nest for all their time and learning features. All I want is to turn it on and off and to a certain temp. 

Any recs on a Amazon or big box to look at for This? 

Every once in a while the Honeywell or the Ecobee will be on Amazon for $60ish.  Camelcamelcamel it.

I had the Honeywell ones and replaced them with the white Nest.  It just works better - easier and connections are more solid.  Plus it works with my alarm app.

I never use the fancy Nest shit with one exception -  Nest allows you to buy a little $50 wireless mini thermostat (about the size of a golf ball) to put in a certain room and then have that mini control things for all or part of the day.  Our thermostat upstairs is in the hall, and at night the master gets warmer than the hall by a lot.  So I put the mini in our bedroom and from 7:30 to 7:30 it controls the AC.

I bought my Nests for $110 each, BTW.  

Edited by Liquor and Poker

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

Every once in a while the Honeywell or the Ecobee will be on Amazon for $60ish.  Camelcamelcamel it.

I had the Honeywell ones and replaced them with the white Nest.  It just works better - easier and connections are more solid.  Plus it works with my alarm app.

I never use the fancy Nest shit with one exception -  Nest allows you to buy a little $50 wireless mini thermostat (about the size of a golf ball) to put in a certain room and then have that mini control things for all or part of the day.  Our thermostat upstairs is in the hall, and at night the master gets warmer than the hall by a lot.  So I put the mini in our bedroom and from 7:30 to 7:30 it controls the AC.

yeah ecobee has similar remote sensors.  I put some in a bunch of spots throughout the house and have various sensors running at different times of the day.  Helps to balance things out across some rooms that have issues otherwise. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I want indoor temps, not outdoor.  Basically, I want to know if the heaters quit working so I can get up there and keep the house from turning into a block of ice.  It gets really cold (like 30-40* below zero) up there in the winter.

I have a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat at my beach house.  It will send an email to you when it reaches a particular high temperature for an hour or a particular low temperature.  You pick the high and low. It will also send a reminder hourly if there is no change.

I paid about $80 for mine several years ago.  I think they're up to about $90-$100 now. It's great for cooling down a hot house in summer before you arrive.

It's also programmable for the week.

Q7EWQoBu_o.jpg?download=true   

Edited by abuelo gringo
  • Like 1

Ecobee here. Love being able to leave it off and the. turn it on when I land back in Austin after a trip and have the house cool or warm when I get home. The remote sensors also do a good job of keeping track of whether I’m home or not to allow for small temp changes.  I have it set certain temps throughout the day depending on my sleep schedule, wake schedule, work schedule, home, not home.  I love sleeping with it uber cold  but let it start warming the house up about an hour before I get out of bed. Home/not home setting depends on the remote sensor sensing movement in my living room.  When it hasn’t seen movement for a while it lets things warm up a bit,  but not as much as it when I go on vacation, as soon as I get back home kicks back on on it’s own. 

For those with the Ecobee and the remote sensors, I have a question.  Here's the situation.  My water pump and storage tank (I'm on a well) is underneath the house in a crawl space.  It is heated by a space heater (not the best solution, but it's worked for 30+ years from the original owner to me - I'll come up with a better solution when we remodel in a couple years).  Can I put one of the remote sensors down there just to monitor the temp?  I don't want the Ecobee to try and heat the remote sensor because it will never be able to.  I just want to monitor the temp down there to make sure shit isn't freezing up.  Will that work, or will the Ecobee always try to stabilize the temp of the remote sensor?

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

For those with the Ecobee and the remote sensors, I have a question.  Here's the situation.  My water pump and storage tank (I'm on a well) is underneath the house in a crawl space.  It is heated by a space heater (not the best solution, but it's worked for 30+ years from the original owner to me - I'll come up with a better solution when we remodel in a couple years).  Can I put one of the remote sensors down there just to monitor the temp?  I don't want the Ecobee to try and heat the remote sensor because it will never be able to.  I just want to monitor the temp down there to make sure shit isn't freezing up.  Will that work, or will the Ecobee always try to stabilize the temp of the remote sensor?

You can program each sensors level of participation in the various thermostat settings. For example, I only use the sensors in the bed rooms at night, and the various other sensors in game room, kitchen, office don't contribute data. 

• Like 1

Yes you can, not sure what the range is though.

I have a nest and like it. But the learning feature is way overrated. It basically ‘learns’ for a few days and programs itself after that. If you set it on some wonky temperature during that time, you’ll have to manually undo it in the schedule no matter how many times you change the temperature. 

On 10/9/2018 at 7:00 PM, abuelo gringo said:

I have a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat at my beach house.  It will send an email to you when it reaches a particular high temperature for an hour or a particular low temperature.  You pick the high and low. It will also send a reminder hourly if there is no change.

I paid about $80 for mine several years ago.  I think they're up to about $90-$100 now. It's great for cooling down a hot house in summer before you arrive.

It's also programmable for the week.

Q7EWQoBu_o.jpg?download=true   

CSB- Our beach house, smack in the middle of West Beach, has no access to internet other than dialup or ridiculously expensive satellite.  

On 10/17/2018 at 6:58 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

CSB- Our beach house, smack in the middle of West Beach, has no access to internet other than dialup or ridiculously expensive satellite.  

We had the same issue in the mountains.  Couldn't get any internet other than dialup speed DSL or satellite.  Century Link upgraded their equipment this summer so we can finally get real internet up there, although it's still only 40MB service.