Cheez It Bowl - Patterson vs Cal

Longboard Horn

TCU's defense carried them this year and they lose at least 7 of their top 10 tacklers off that defense from this year. 

I'm guessing S&P projects them at about 6 or 7 wins next year. They should be hitting the grad transfer market hard because they need a completely different OL and probably a QB. I can't see them rolling into next year relying on Rogers. 

24 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU's defense carried them this year and they lose at least 7 of their top 10 tacklers off that defense from this year. 

I'm guessing S&P projects them at about 6 or 7 wins next year. They should be hitting the grad transfer market hard because they need a completely different OL and probably a QB. I can't see them rolling into next year relying on Rogers. 

Also take into account that TCU got absolutely buried by injuries this year, though.

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

That was the most fun I've had watching a football game since Dicker hit his kick in the Cotton Bowl. I was pulling for Cal and that was still an utter joy.

The game was the top trending topic on US twitter for a few minutes. People will remember this game for a while because of how amazingly shitacular/weird it was. The other boring no-name bowl games that were competently played will be forgotten in a month. 

• Like 2

Tevin Paul for Cal (starting DE I think) lived across the street from me (family still does).  I watched him through the game and he played well.  Son says he's going to get drafted (he's a junior now).  

That's really all I got from that turd of a game.

Edited by phdhorn

This misses so much too.  Doesn't even mention all the stupid shit the terrible announcers said, most multiple times. My favorite part was on the OT interception when the guy is so excited the the guy got "all the way to the 11" and I'm pretty sure made a comment that implied they would start the next drive from there.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/ridiculous-things-happened-cheez-bowl-061904121.html

Reading about this game reminds me of that SBNation article by Jon Bois where he replaces all the draft classes in NBAY2k with horrible basketball players then watches the league implode.

One of the Finals games is ‘won’ 3-0 and takes 12 OT to decide.

3-0.png

shotchart.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

• Like 3

Bizarre play to start the game was an omen of the bizarre game to come.  beautiful kickoff by tcu comes to a dead stop around the 6. but the cal player touches it from out of bounds so they get it at the 35.  wtf?  should have been half the distance the other way, not a penalty in their favor.  what a messed up rule.  

3 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

Bizarre play to start the game was an omen of the bizarre game to come.  beautiful kickoff by tcu comes to a dead stop around the 6. but the cal player touches it from out of bounds so they get it at the 35.  wtf?  should have been half the distance the other way, not a penalty in their favor.  what a messed up rule.  

That move is so underutilized at every level of fball. Just like recovering a fumble if any part of your body is out of bounds and you touch the ball it's dead. 

11 minutes ago, bluto said:

That move is so underutilized at every level of fball. Just like recovering a fumble if any part of your body is out of bounds and you touch the ball it's dead. 

Ty Montgomery did it in on a kickoff in a game for Green Bay a while back I think. Only dude I’ve seen smart enough to do that on purpose.

Edited by Helobious

I'm not a Patterson fan by any stretch, but I was fully expecting them to handle Cal with no issues.  I thought with some bowl prep time the TCU staff would cobble something together offensively.   For a guy who supposedly does a lot of negative recruiting, that game left his ass hanging out there for returning the favor.