A/V Receiver - basics

Baboontyme

Hey so I'm pretty sure my A/V receiver is taking a crap. It's old. It was a hand me down from my BIL when I got it, he's some sort of audiophile who was always upgrading at the time. It's a Marantz, probably 10 years old or more. 

I do not do anything crazy with my receiver. I have somewhat of an elaborate TV setup with 4 screens but I don't give a rip about audio or surround sound. Currently I have 3 components hooked up through my audio receiver - DirecTV receiver 1, Firestick and PS4. I "switch" a/v via the receiver and a universal remote to my Projector. My 3 other TVs are hooked up directly to their individual DirecTV receivers (Dtv 2, 3, and 4) and not hooked in to the audio receiver at all. Audio receiver output goes to 2 hard wired shitty floor Yamaha speakers. 

I'm convinced the problem is the receiver. The problems started watching satellite and it was ok with PS4 or Firestick but now all 3 are affected. I've checked and re-checked the speaker connects at both the speaker and receiver hookups and they're fine. Currently in addition to the above the receiver is "switching" when I tell it to via Universal remote, but the electronic display is dead. So yeah. 

Am I over or underthinking in just going to Best Buy tomorrow and getting a relatively shitty $200 or so receiver and hooking it up the same way? Here is what I am looking at for reference: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-tx-7-2-ch-hi-res-network-ready-4k-ultra-hd-and-3d-pass-through-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5763442.p?skuId=5763442

7 hours ago, elfenix said:

you really just want an hdmi switch and a soundbar. 

Maybe. What powers the audio from a switch though? The switch itself? I can't run any sort of cables from my projector because it's ceiling mounted. It has 2 HDMIs running to the screen wall. I currently only use 1 of the HDMIs - the "out" on my audio receiver. Would this be the same?

3 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Maybe. What powers the audio from a switch though? The switch itself? I can't run any sort of cables from my projector because it's ceiling mounted. It has 2 HDMIs running to the screen wall. I currently only use 1 of the HDMIs - the "out" on my audio receiver. Would this be the same?

oh if the projector doesn't have audio out, either optical or something else, it won't work.  nm.  guess i missed the projector part the first read-through. 

basically any receiver nowadays should work.  i'm in the market for one after my yamaha's video out died (second one to do that).  i'll probably just get whatever fry's has on sale in a week or two. 

Edited by elfenix

12 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Am I over or underthinking in just going to Best Buy tomorrow and getting a relatively shitty $200 or so receiver and hooking it up the same way? 

This is basically what I did.  Did an eBay "slight dent in casing" discounted Sony for like $125 (normally like $250).  Put it into my TV's 1/8" headphone jack (used a 2 into 1 adapter and a few other adapters).  Running two old EPI speakers (from my 80's stereo) out of it, sounds awesome.

The only thing I wanted on the receiver was remote on/off... the entire reason I got it(and dumped my otherwise nice Onkyo receiver from the 80's) was so it could be flicked off via remote with the other devices.   My guess is it'll work great for you too.

Thanks. I replaced the receiver and all is well so it was definitely the Marantz. 

Etiquette question - Marantz appears to be a nice brand. Upon researching this model (SR5003) it appears to be vintage 2008-2010. Again it was "gifted" to me by my BIL. Kind of unspoken as to whether it was a loaner or he was just giving me a hand me down. I would assume the latter. Do I just toss it? Ask him if he wants it back but it's fried? Look into getting it fixed to return to him? He probably hasn't thought about since giving it to me but I don't want to be an ungrateful dick. 

Marantz is one of the better Japanese brands, in a similar league as Yamaha and Denon (which I believe is a sister company to Marantz).  They make very nice amplifiers and CD players, if you're into such a thing. 

The SR5003 listed for about $800, so it's probably not worth $200 now in full working condition.  Fixing it would be silly unless it's just a sentimental thing.

Marantz  and Denon are owned by the same company now and operate separately. They do share a lot of components but it’s really just a preference as they each sound a bit different based on how they choose to process the signals. Denon also offers the lower end models that Marantz does not. 

I will say I love the HEOS set up for Marantz and Denon. It works the exact same as Sonos for full home audio. (Select room, source and volume individually, supports all streaming music etc - complete with iOS or android app to run). Even the speakers are simply Sonos speakers badaged as HEOS/Denon. You can add up to 30 individual speakers to the network completely separate from your main listening room

Now is the time to buy a receiver as the new ones will debut at CES next month. Most 18s should be half price by now. 

Love my Marantz 7011. It’s enough to power some huge speakers and all surrounds without a separate amp for the front channels and can handle up to 11 channels for amplification. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich