The Dirty Dirt: The World of Modern Recruiting

Neonmoon

Just my opinion but the NCAA is a corrupt, soulless organization and it has nothing to do with my moral compass. Texas should absolutely do whatever every other major institution is doing to sign recruits. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Just my opinion but the NCAA is a corrupt, soleless organization and it has nothing to do with my moral compass. Texas should absolutely do whatever every other major institution is doing to sign recruits. 

Sooooo the NCAA is a corrupt organization with no shoes??......got it

• Like 1

I’m just tired of Alabama winning title after title. It makes the sport not fun anymore. They are for sure buying players. And if the NCAA isn’t going to enforce the rules, then I think all colleges should adopt their recruiting method to level the playing field, 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m just tired of Alabama winning title after title. It makes the sport not fun anymore. They are for sure buying players. And if the NCAA isn’t going to enforce the rules, then I think all colleges should adopt their recruiting method to level the playing field, 

Funny 2017 thread.....

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/bama-paying-players/67942675/page-4/

I'm fairly comfortable with the low-level money games that I've personally heard about at Texas -- small time donations from anonymous boosters happen everywhere, after all. When I was a kid, I used to go to every Texas A&I game (mid 70s during "The Streak" and all those national titles), and even then, I was aware that there was no stopping the cheating. NAIA players getting more spending money than you could possibly use in a small South Texas town was obviously just the tip of the iceberg.

This shit has been going on for as long as there has been college football.

Here's a little primer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

This quote from that thread probably has a lot of truth to it when it comes to BAMA -

"We have a booster club called the REC. They distribute the payments and dont even try to hide it. We got members at the SEC office, NCAA, NY Times, FBI. All over. Also helps that our opponents, like LSU, have ADs who don't do anything about this blatant corruption"

They definitely got a member in the NCAA.  The president of the NCAA is in Saban's hip pocket.

One bagman in the club with a change of heart could gather extensive dirt in terms of recorded meetings, confessed transactions, etc. Especially if the "traitor" were tech savvy, the expose could be considerable. Stranger things have happened, but I will not be holding my breath. For the interim, we will have to make a living generally recruiting players from outside the SEC footprint and trying to sniff out and expose the dirt that spills across the Sabine.

Everyone is dirty but Texas, and I think that's pretty obvious. Any head to head misses, especially with regional rivals, were because they paid off the recruit in order to save face from a head-to-head loss against Texas. All the regional schools are collaborating against Texas in this way, and some from outside the region have even gotten in on the action. Whenever Texas gets a recruit head-to-head from one of those regional rivals, we all know it's because he holds in high regard the value of a scholarship to the University of Texas over all other schools. I'm glad Texas is above the fray, and I can't wait until all those who would soil the good name of college football all fall like SMU of the past.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, randygilman said:

Everyone is dirty but Texas, and I think that's pretty obvious. Any head to head misses, especially with regional rivals, were because they paid off the recruit in order to save face from a head-to-head loss against Texas. All the regional schools are collaborating against Texas in this way, and some from outside the region have even gotten in on the action. Whenever Texas gets a recruit head-to-head from one of those regional rivals, we all know it's because he holds in high regard the value of a scholarship to the University of Texas over all other schools. I'm glad Texas is above the fray, and I can't wait until all those who would soil the good name of college football all fall like SMU of the past.

I’m picking up your sarcasm 

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm fairly comfortable with the low-level money games that I've personally heard about at Texas -- small time donations from anonymous boosters happen everywhere, after all. When I was a kid, I used to go to every Texas A&I game (mid 70s during "The Streak" and all those national titles), and even then, I was aware that there was no stopping the cheating. NAIA players getting more spending money than you could possibly use in a small South Texas town was obviously just the tip of the iceberg.

This shit has been going on for as long as there has been college football.

Here's a little primer:

The best Marx Brothers film.

2 hours ago, randygilman said:

it-might-be-the-milk-talking-but-i-love-

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I went on a goose hunt with an aggy o line starter 8 years ago, he was a recent grad and the guide.

He said the 50 and 100 handshakes were commonplace there and other schools in the B12 from acquaintances he knew.

Those have been commonplace even at cleaner schools like Texas for ages. It’s the 5- and 6-figure payments that set the Oregons and $ECs apart.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

I went on a goose hunt with an aggy o line starter 8 years ago, he was a recent grad and the guide.

He said the 50 and 100 handshakes were commonplace there and other schools in the B12 from acquaintances he knew.

I don't doubt it. But that's a big difference from "I'll pay off your parents' mortgage and buy them some nice cars."

9 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

There are different levels to this. Texas is on the cleaner side, but everyone is dirty. Texas isn't buying players like Bama, SEC schools, aggy now. 

Every fan says this about their school. Texas hasn't had a dominant season in 10 years, yet our recruiting has been pretty good. We may not be the worst offender, but if you consistently pull in top 10 classes, you are largely pulling the same shit as the other schools that hang out in the same neighborhood. To believe otherwise is naivete at its finest.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Every fan says this about their school. Texas hasn't had a dominant season in 10 years, yet our recruiting has been pretty good. We may not be the worst offender, but if you consistently pull in top 10 classes, you are largely pulling the same shit as the other schools that hang out in the same neighborhood. To believe otherwise is naivete at its finest.

You’re out of your element.

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

You’re out of your element.

And wrong.

But, I think the tide may be changing. Fans will start getting upset about losing the Shepherds, Demas', Waddles', Wright's and Leal's and bagmen will start organizing. Personally, instead, I would love to see the nuclear option just because it would be fun to see the world burn. Maybe Mack will do it if North Carolina continues to lose recruits in its backyard. Watching Mack record conversations and turn SEC schools in would be glorious. I know it wouldn't happen but to see Alabama get a slap on the wrist but have to vacate their wins from 2007 to now would make me laugh. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

I don't doubt it. But that's a big difference from "I'll pay off your parents' mortgage and buy them some nice cars."

Hell that ain't bad, helping out a kids family is all right in my opinion. It's paying the street agents and dead beat dads and uncles to push a kid to school that is fucked up.

12 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I had forgotten about Roberson. What exactly happened with him again?

Got in a nasty car accident, had so many concussions our staff refused to clear him if I remember right, transferred to SHSU: https://herosports.com/fcs/football-shsu-derick-roberson-nfl-draft-bzbz

Where he plays with Erick Fowler: https://www.itemonline.com/erick-fowler-talks-derick-roberson-backfield-pressure-and-more/youtube_ea88f6da-ccc7-11e8-9881-f7fa65066a23.html

• Like 1