Worthy of its own thread - RIP Richard Overton

Buffsoldier

You know, until today I'd forgotten how good of a business trip that was, wrestling a drug dealer on the top of a Nissan Sentra for trying to rip me off on my coke purchase before fruitlessly chasing him through the labyrinth of an East Austin apartment complex after the bars have shut down and then the next night listening to a then-ESPN personality croon out back of the Horseshoe lounge until 3am.

Now, 5 years later, when I come to town I stay in a Marriot and am in bed by 10pm.

I'm glad everyone got to enjoy Mr. Overton and go visit him and tell their own stories, but here is the OG thread: http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/131079-107-years-old-the-oldest-living-veteran-in-America?s=37a3b8f4ebaf1ff89f832bc4e10e78d5

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

RIP a leg and that has seen some things.

If I can be his 112, drinking whisky and smoking cigars still with my mind right too...   Give me 112 all day.

Hell yeah. I'd take 59 more years if I could do it like that.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Anybody attending the service today? News said he’s getting a chopper flyover, but there’s 4 fighter jets warming up for a flyover right now. Wonder if there’s been a change of plans or if he’s getting one at the funeral and also the memorial?

My son & I attended the memorial service today but not the burial.

Some of y'all (who haven't read the original Shag thread linked above) might recall that I brought the older members of our Cub Scout Pack (Bears, Webelos 1's & 2's) to meet Mr. Overton 4 years ago.

50257060_10218372428651734_8305015511079

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Anybody attending the service today? News said he’s getting a chopper flyover, but there’s 4 fighter jets warming up for a flyover right now. Wonder if there’s been a change of plans or if he’s getting one at the funeral and also the memorial?

That explains the choppers flying over my neighborhood yesterday. I was wondering what was going on.

10 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I was there with a couple of my boys. Beautiful service. Gov Abbott rolled up. Mayor Adler spoke too. He's a terribly boring speaker. Abbott is much more charismatic and a better communicator.

Did you notice that Adler is consistently touching & "smoothing" the paper he has  on the dias?

There is a digital TelePrompter that he's reading from & has the  papers as a backup, but it's obv. he has to keep his hands busy.

Monster got to meet the 4* Lieutenant General Murray for a short conversation; I should have taken a pic of them together, esp. since Gen. Murray was in the "Pinks & Greens" uniform.

Did you notice that Adler is consistently touching & "smoothing" the paper he has  on the dias?

There is a digital TelePrompter that he's reading from & has the  papers as a backup, but it's obv. he has to keep his hands busy.
Monster got to meet the 4* Lieutenant General Murray for a short conversation; I should have taken a pic of them together, esp. since Gen. Murray was in the "Pinks & Greens" uniform.
Yeah I did notice how he kept smoothing the paper every few phrases. It really annoyed me. And those new unis are nice I like them.

• 11 months later...