Fredericksburg

texashorne

55 minutes ago, NoName said:

Southold Kitchen they closed after like 6 months of actually being open but are doing pop ups right now. i'm assuming they will be doing more pop up style stuff, they spent a fortune on the building

https://www.southoldfarmandcellar.com/reservation#/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqtly6UpPx4/

Their space is fantastic and you cannot beat that view.  Haven't been out there in about a year but really really need to go back.  The food at their restaurant was really very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, texasdago said:

Their space is fantastic and you cannot beat that view.  Haven't been out there in about a year but really really need to go back.  The food at their restaurant was really very good.

yeah, i think it was fairly shocking to close it.

their issue is that they are 25 min from FBG and like 20 from Johnson City. that assumes you don't get caught behind someone going slow on a back road.

they spent a ton on the land, a ton on the restaurant based on how awesome it looks and a ton to set up the winery from scratch.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NoName said:

yup. with 1 days notice.

dont know what to say about this poor lady.  ive been to three of her places there and they were all top notch, maybe the best restaurants in town for what they were.  she might be the best pastry chef in the state.  but damn if there isnt something odd and suspicious about her not being able to keep a restaurant open.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, thrillhammer said:

dont know what to say about this poor lady.  ive been to three of her places there and they were all top notch, maybe the best restaurants in town for what they were.  she might be the best pastry chef in the state.  but damn if there isnt something odd and suspicious about her not being able to keep a restaurant open.

this is all like fifth hand at this point, but my understanding is she is a great chef but not a great businessperson which is why the other ones closed.

emma + ollie was supposed to get around it by having her be an employee vs an owner. still not 100% sure what happened, but they closed on (very) short notice and rumor is there was a disagreement with the landlord. so no clue if this was her fault or not.

emma + ollie should have worked out very well and been open for years to come. i enjoyed their food, rec'd them a ton and will do the same wherever she opens next.

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent the weekend there with the wife.  Had a great time.  

Sad that 87 Icebox is no more.

Enjoyed some wine from several places (William Chris, Becker, Baron's Creek, the Tannat from Wedding Oak).

Stayed in some newly built "cabins" on the Wedding Oak/Los Pinos property.  Liked the location as it is about 5 minutes East of town, right across from Altstadt, and about 8 minutes from Luckenbach.  Highly recommend for peace/quiet if it's just you and the wife, and they have larger ones with 2 master's suites as well.  lonestarcabins.com

Spent part of saturday afternoon down in Luckenbach.  Perfect day for it.  

Can't wait til next trip.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@NoName or anyone else with an opinion-any suggestions on a favorite lodging recommendation?  We live in Austin so lodging needs to have some special appeal to justify $300/night (looks like the base price for most downtown adjacent airbnb’s on a Saturday), otherwise we’d likely just head home after a day trip, particularly since there’s really not much nightlife there.  

7 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

@NoName or anyone else with an opinion-any suggestions on a favorite lodging recommendation?  We live in Austin so lodging needs to have some special appeal to justify $300/night (looks like the base price for most downtown adjacent airbnb’s on a Saturday), otherwise we’d likely just head home after a day trip, particularly since there’s really not much nightlife there.  

this weekend specifically or just in general?

1 night only?

stonewall motor lodge gets great pub here, but it's in Stonewall: https://www.stonewallmotorlodge.com/

look up the Emigrants Inn downtown. Its on AirBNB but know they have historically dropped the prices the closer they get to a date without it being booked. It's like maybe 8-10 rooms in a "hotel" but they are all individual Air BNBs and is fine. its across the st from the Nimitz on the corner basically of Washington & Main

feel free to PM me, happy to share more info in general. if you are coming in the future, i know some folks. can't promise any deals but can promise they are responsive and do good work/will take care of you...

During our last visit to Fredericksburg, we met a guy wearing UT gear (as was I) and in the ensuing conversation, he recommended Pasta Bella.  Said he’s been all over the planet and this restaurant has the best Italian food he’s ever had.  He wasn’t just a woofing.  I had the chicken parmigiana and my wife had the shrimp scampi.  The food was outstanding.  

Edited by Harrison Stafford

On 8/31/2023 at 3:44 PM, LCHorn said:

I posted above, but check out www.lonestarcabins.com (especially if for 1 night).  We stayed there in April and were very pleased.  Newly built, stone cabins.  Clean, roomy, comfortable, and reasonably priced.   About a 6 minute drive into downtown (basically across the highway from Aldstadt) 

Cabin-12-18.jpg 

Cabin-12-1.jpg 

Cabin-12-15.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 6 months later...

What’s the best option for a dinner spot these days?  We’re staying at Barons Creek but figure we’ll need to come downtown for food.  

I’m a little lost without Eater recs or a good Surly thread. 

11 hours ago, USCATX said:

What’s the best option for a dinner spot these days?  We’re staying at Barons Creek but figure we’ll need to come downtown for food.  

I’m a little lost without Eater recs or a good Surly thread. 

depends on what you are in the mood for

• "northern italian style steakhouse" - newest/hottest spot in FBG is Alla Campagna on Main. wife's favorite app in town is their roasted garlic & ricotta meatballs. highly rec the bucatini and wild boar paparadelle. had almost all of their pizzas, but the margherita is the one we go back to. i would skip the steak, it's good but not $80 good. sides are ok - charred broccolini is excellent. their tiramisu is the best dessert in Fredericksburg. if you want something to go, they have a side entrance off of Milam for to go orders - recent one from wife and I was to order the bucatini, add a couple of the ricotta meatballs + pizza and split it. highly recommend a reservation, they use Tock. probably want to sit inside based on weather.
  • live music, bar food and strong margaritas? Hondos - queso, grilled chicken sandwich, burgers, brisket mac & cheese are all great.warning: it's a self serve restaurant which bothers some folks but who cares. waiting list only, no reservations - you want to sit outside though.
  • if you want good food and a little less fancy, with outdoor seating and a more new orleans style flair? Granite House. all of their apps are solid to very good. best chicken fried steak in Fredericksburg, get the fried egg on top. they have a seafood pasta special every night that's very good. i like their shrimp and grits. waiting list only, no reservations - you want to sit outside though.
  • if you want good food and a little more upscale? Hill & Vine - carnita nachos, tri tip, redfish are all good. croissant bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts in FBG. i think they are waiting list only now, no reservations
  • If you want fancy and the items on the menu look appealing to you, but seems more expensive than it should be? Vaudeville -Mediterranean plate, chicken pesto pizza, charred octopus. reservations recommended, i think they use RESY.
  • If you want fancy and the items on the menu look appealing to you? Ottos is pretty well regarded as the "best" restaurant in FBG but their menu just never has pulled me in. had good experiences, but just not a menu that's for me. highly recommend a reservation, they use Tock
  • actual Mediterranean food? Cafe Dimona (new spot in town, where Emma & Ollie used to be - know some back of house folks, just started dinner service recently)

no matter where you go you should finish at OroBianco Creamery (just opened in FBG, they have locations in Stonewall and Blanco): try all that you want to, but the cutrus crema is incredible, wife loves the mint stracciatella, and they have more seasonal flavors that are not on their website. also an affogato with their house made gelatos is a life changing experience https://www.orobiancomilk.com/products/

here is where you shouldn't go and why

• Sage: super fancy but not really filling or that good and obscenely expensive for what it is
  • Martini's: do you want a couple of hundred dollar seafood tower in Fredericksburg? what about fresh oysters? also this is the loudest place in town, and you support owners who are generally pretty shitty. avoid at literally all costs.
  • Jack's Chop House: owned by the same folks as Martini's, also very expensive for FBG so we have avoided it. it's evidently gotten better since it opened but i'll never know.
  • Burger Burger: so many better burger spots in FBG - Pecan Grove, Tubbys, Hondos,
  • Mamacita's Restaurant: go to Campo Azul if you want cheap Mexican food, it's significantly better in every single way
  • Altdorf: know a local who called it a freezer to table restaurant and that's basically what it is in my experience. lots of Chef Mike cooking things up in the back. very mediocre.

couple of bonus spots for you

• Caliche: best coffee in town and nothing else is close. can take your lady friend there for an excellent avocado toast - i usually get the green chile grits bowl if they have it on menu. next door to Alla Campagna.
  • Pritzers Sweet Shop: if you are walking around downtown this is a little tiny bakery that has excellent baked good. crossiants are great, large salted pretzel - go to are their cookies: cowboy, snickerdoodle or cinnamon toast marshmallow
  • Piccolina: italian ice spot downtown (main & lincoln) that's fantastic - use local produce as much as possible. try all their flavors, but the lemon is the best seller for a reason. https://www.instagram.com/piccolina.fbg/?hl=en
  • Pontotac Winegarten - like 2 doors down from Hondos and on the same block as Hondos, Alla Campagna and Caliche. cool spot off of Main that you can sit, enjoy some wine or their house made sangria. order the picnic packet which is some homemade pimento cheese, bread, olives, nuts, chocolate chip cookie, berries and sausage if you want to sit for a minute.
  • Woerner Warehouse: solid lunch spot, good sandwiches and salads - make sure you order the Key Lime Pie
  • Tubby's Ice House: behind the Nimitz off of Austin St. excellent burgers and very kid friendly if you need that. easy spot to sit outside and enjoy the weather if it's nice.
  • Prometheus Pizza: new york style pizza that's currently a BYOB food truck, with a B&M opening in the very near future off of San Antonio St. Breakfast of Champions (white sauce, mozz, potato, Force of Nature wild boar chorizo, fines herbes, black pepper, cured egg yolk) is a go to order. they also have great pepperoni that actually gives you pep cups.
  • Hilda's: get the breakfast taco only. they have a drive through. don't go for mexican food.
  • Pecan Grove: best burger for my money in FBG. it's north of town a bit and service is slow but you are drinking a beer in an...old pecan grove...and enjoying live music. much more of a locals spot than a tourist spot.
  • Eaker BBQ (off West Main): Top 50 BBQ joint with a Korean flair - can't recommend them enough but you are looking for dinner, which they don't have anymore sadly. their saturday special is typically a pork belly burnt end made one of a few different ways (hot honey glazed, gochujang glazed, raspberry chipolte glazed, jalapeno, mango habanero, etc) - great BBQ and even better people that own it. https://www.instagram.com/eakerbarbecue/
  • Der Lindenbaum - i don't eat German food but if you do, the only place to go

happy to answer any specific questions/recs here or via PM!

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, After irth said:

That is quite the update.  Thanks for going to the trouble to post all of that.

been a while since a full update was posted here, thought it would be useful to share one!

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, NoName said:

depends on what you are in the mood for

• "northern italian style steakhouse" - newest/hottest spot in FBG is Alla Campagna on Main. wife's favorite app in town is their roasted garlic & ricotta meatballs. highly rec the bucatini and wild boar paparadelle. had almost all of their pizzas, but the margherita is the one we go back to. i would skip the steak, it's good but not $80 good. sides are ok - charred broccolini is excellent. their tiramisu is the best dessert in Fredericksburg. if you want something to go, they have a side entrance off of Milam for to go orders - recent one from wife and I was to order the bucatini, add a couple of the ricotta meatballs + pizza and split it. highly recommend a reservation, they use Tock. probably want to sit inside based on weather.
  • live music, bar food and strong margaritas? Hondos - queso, grilled chicken sandwich, burgers, brisket mac & cheese are all great.warning: it's a self serve restaurant which bothers some folks but who cares. waiting list only, no reservations - you want to sit outside though.
  • if you want good food and a little less fancy, with outdoor seating and a more new orleans style flair? Granite House. all of their apps are solid to very good. best chicken fried steak in Fredericksburg, get the fried egg on top. they have a seafood pasta special every night that's very good. i like their shrimp and grits. waiting list only, no reservations - you want to sit outside though.
  • if you want good food and a little more upscale? Hill & Vine - carnita nachos, tri tip, redfish are all good. croissant bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts in FBG. i think they are waiting list only now, no reservations
  • If you want fancy and the items on the menu look appealing to you, but seems more expensive than it should be? Vaudeville -Mediterranean plate, chicken pesto pizza, charred octopus. reservations recommended, i think they use RESY.
  • If you want fancy and the items on the menu look appealing to you? Ottos is pretty well regarded as the "best" restaurant in FBG but their menu just never has pulled me in. had good experiences, but just not a menu that's for me. highly recommend a reservation, they use Tock
  • actual Mediterranean food? Cafe Dimona (new spot in town, where Emma & Ollie used to be - know some back of house folks, just started dinner service recently)

no matter where you go you should finish at OroBianco Creamery (just opened in FBG, they have locations in Stonewall and Blanco): try all that you want to, but the cutrus crema is incredible, wife loves the mint stracciatella, and they have more seasonal flavors that are not on their website. also an affogato with their house made gelatos is a life changing experience https://www.orobiancomilk.com/products/

here is where you shouldn't go and why

• Sage: super fancy but not really filling or that good and obscenely expensive for what it is
  • Martini's: do you want a couple of hundred dollar seafood tower in Fredericksburg? what about fresh oysters? also this is the loudest place in town, and you support owners who are generally pretty shitty. avoid at literally all costs.
  • Jack's Chop House: owned by the same folks as Martini's, also very expensive for FBG so we have avoided it. it's evidently gotten better since it opened but i'll never know.
  • Burger Burger: so many better burger spots in FBG - Pecan Grove, Tubbys, Hondos,
  • Mamacita's Restaurant: go to Campo Azul if you want cheap Mexican food, it's significantly better in every single way
  • Altdorf: know a local who called it a freezer to table restaurant and that's basically what it is in my experience. lots of Chef Mike cooking things up in the back. very mediocre.

couple of bonus spots for you

• Caliche: best coffee in town and nothing else is close. can take your lady friend there for an excellent avocado toast - i usually get the green chile grits bowl if they have it on menu. next door to Alla Campagna.
  • Pritzers Sweet Shop: if you are walking around downtown this is a little tiny bakery that has excellent baked good. crossiants are great, large salted pretzel - go to are their cookies: cowboy, snickerdoodle or cinnamon toast marshmallow
  • Piccolina: italian ice spot downtown (main & lincoln) that's fantastic - use local produce as much as possible. try all their flavors, but the lemon is the best seller for a reason. https://www.instagram.com/piccolina.fbg/?hl=en
  • Pontotac Winegarten - like 2 doors down from Hondos and on the same block as Hondos, Alla Campagna and Caliche. cool spot off of Main that you can sit, enjoy some wine or their house made sangria. order the picnic packet which is some homemade pimento cheese, bread, olives, nuts, chocolate chip cookie, berries and sausage if you want to sit for a minute.
  • Woerner Warehouse: solid lunch spot, good sandwiches and salads - make sure you order the Key Lime Pie
  • Tubby's Ice House: behind the Nimitz off of Austin St. excellent burgers and very kid friendly if you need that. easy spot to sit outside and enjoy the weather if it's nice.
  • Prometheus Pizza: new york style pizza that's currently a BYOB food truck, with a B&M opening in the very near future off of San Antonio St. Breakfast of Champions (white sauce, mozz, potato, Force of Nature wild boar chorizo, fines herbes, black pepper, cured egg yolk) is a go to order. they also have great pepperoni that actually gives you pep cups.
  • Hilda's: get the breakfast taco only. they have a drive through. don't go for mexican food.
  • Pecan Grove: best burger for my money in FBG. it's north of town a bit and service is slow but you are drinking a beer in an...old pecan grove...and enjoying live music. much more of a locals spot than a tourist spot.
  • Eaker BBQ (off West Main): Top 50 BBQ joint with a Korean flair - can't recommend them enough but you are looking for dinner, which they don't have anymore sadly. their saturday special is typically a pork belly burnt end made one of a few different ways (hot honey glazed, gochujang glazed, raspberry chipolte glazed, jalapeno, mango habanero, etc) - great BBQ and even better people that own it. https://www.instagram.com/eakerbarbecue/
  • Der Lindenbaum - i don't eat German food but if you do, the only place to go

happy to answer any specific questions/recs here or via PM!

Ha, damn.  I think we’re done here.  I’d like to subscribe to your Fredericksburg Eats newsletter.  Thanks for the effort in typing this all out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1