Don't Call This Transgender a 'Sir'

Vic Mackey

Before the fake controversy this year, my wife and I used to chuckle about how dirty "Baby, It's Cold Outside" was for the 1940s. Off topic since likely only one pecker in that song. We all need to ratchet down our snowflake meters and learn to have a sense of humor. We move the goalposts and then hold people accountable for playing under the old rules.

1 hour ago, M12BH said:

OK here's how old I am.  I remember the original and didn't even know there was an edited version.  When the song first came out there was no sense that Mark Knopfler was being homophobic.  He was describing a hypothetical conversation between two dumb, uneducated, stoned, probably homophobic, furniture movers bitching about how hard they had to work for their money while the "faggots" making music videos had it so easy.  Wah.  But yeah I can see how that wouldn't fly today.

From what I've read, Knopfler apparently wrote the song on a piece of paper while visiting an electronics/appliance store.  Two movers were standing together watching MTV on the wall of TVs.  He wrote down a few of the phrases he heard them say (the faggot line wasn't one of them).  Knopfler obviously related more to the people on the TV than the appliance movers and deduced what they must have been thinking while watching.  While there were guys wearing earrings in the 80's, it wasn't as common as today and which ear was code for gay or straight (few men wore earrings in both ears).  With that context, the song doesn't make me think Knopler was homophobic - just writing about how he perceived others and homophobia was much more prevalent and acceptable then,, so he might not have been far off.    

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Reminds me, way back in the day the ex and I were talking about the gays and I told her gay was nothing new, hell, Plato was gay. Her response - "Mickey's dog??"

Wrong thread.  Would be a winner in the correct one.