Shaggy Fantasy basketball

Goo Punch

On 10/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, RexWilson said:

Keeper rules for IR/drops/ free agent pickups:

Players dropped from a team but eventually claimed and kept, go by original draft round +1 for keeper.

Undrafted players who are kept, give up last round pick?

Thoughts?

And who are the official teams?

I like both of these rules as well. We need some rule in place for players like Durant and Klay also. Durant for sure would be considered a 1st round pick next year and Klay is usually round 2 or 3. I know someone is going to look to grab them late in the draft, but it’d be ridiculous to keep Durant as your 6th round pick next season. Maybe use their ADP next season to set their value?

I don't agree with that, it should be what they were drafted at this year I mean that's the point of keepers. If I pick someone in the 10th round that blows up and is the best player in the league should he then go by ADP next year? Someone is gonna have to make the decision to basically have a worthless pick this year.  Go ahead and tank this season to do better next season, there's no guarantee those 2 come back at the previous levels.

Typically in keeper leagues someone picked up off the waiver wire costs a 10th round pick, if you have 2 players off the waiver or someone in the 12th then its 10 and 9th. Tho since there's only 13 rounds waivers should probably 8th picks.

If someone is traded they maintain their draft positioning between teams. 

Edited by Michael Knight

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't agree with that, it should be what they were drafted at this year I mean that's the point of keepers. If I pick someone in the 10th round that blows up and is the best player in the league should he then go by ADP next year? Someone is gonna have to make the decision to basically have a worthless pick this year.  Go ahead and tank this season to do better next season, there's no guarantee those 2 come back at the previous levels.

Typically in keeper leagues someone picked up off the waiver wire costs a 10th round pick, if you have 2 players off the waiver or someone in the 12th then its 10 and 9th. Tho since there's only 13 rounds waivers should probably 8th picks.

My thoughts resemble this stance... 

4 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

interesting discussion.  i can see both sides. if we go the way you guys are wanting to go i don't think we have to worry too much about KD going in round 9 or 10 because someone will definitely take him before the 5th or 6th round.

yeah KD won't make it past the 5th round in this draft. to me it's almost a zero-risk move. people fuck up their early round picks all of the time and still come out just fine because of how long the season is and how much talent there is out there. i'll gladly get nothing out of my 5th round pick this year for the next X amount of years of having KD locked in as my fourth round pick. speaking of which, how long are we allowed to keep our keepers?

Typically keepers keep advancing in pick value each year. So if you pick Durant in the 5th this year, next year he would be a 4th and the year after a 3rd and so on. So you don't get him indefinitely. The keeper leagues I've been in for NFL its 2 rounds, so 5th becomes 3rd then 1st. Otherwise you got some guy for 6 years vs having to make a choice if hes worth a 2nd or 3rd at some point. Limiting it to 2 keepers and advancing the draft pick by 2 adds a little more strategy, is a 3rd round pick in the 9th and then 7th better than a 1st round pick in the 2nd.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

I’m fine with doing it this way as well. I just wanted to make sure we addressed it. It seems like we’ve covered all our bases now.

As for how long you can keep a player. You can keep a pick till it becomes your 2nd round pick. So if KD was taken in the 5th, he’d be worth a 4th next season, a 3rd the next season, and then your 2nd round pick the following season. After that season you couldn’t keep KD as you can’t keep your top 2 picks. 

Typically keepers keep advancing in pick value each year. So if you pick Durant in the 5th this year, next year he would be a 4th and the year after a 3rd and so on. So you don't get him indefinitely. The keeper leagues I've been in for NFL its 2 rounds, so 5th becomes 3rd then 1st. Otherwise you got some guy for 6 years vs having to make a choice if hes worth a 2nd or 3rd at some point. Limiting it to 2 keepers and advancing the draft pick by 2 adds a little more strategy, is a 3rd round pick in the 9th and then 7th better than a 1st round pick in the 2nd.

This.

i would prefer to add an additional roster spot in order to implement the extra UTIL slot, as it's essentially the same thing we've done in all of my fantasy football leagues in recent years, for the exact same reason we'd be doing it here- there's more talent in the league than ever before- by a lot. 

in football all my leagues now have two FLEX spots, but we didn't sacrifice a bench spot to add the extra flex. i think we should do the same here. leave the number of bench slots the same, but add an extra UTIL player, leaving the rosters at 14 players. I can promise you there will be no shortage of talent available on the FA/WW with 14-man rosters, and i think that the extra UTIL slot is a necessity at this point. 

Edited by Goo Punch

here are the choices:

a). leave things as they are: 13 roster spots, 2 starting utility spots

b). increase roster size to 14 spots, use 3 starting utility spots

c). leave roster size at 13, use 3 starting utility spots.

majority wins.  votes must be cast by friday at noon central time.

BTW i'm always going to be in favor of stuff like this. Having a giant pool of good players always there to be plucked out of free agency only dilutes the importance of actually doing a good job of managing your team. That's my entire reasoning behind my feelings. There should be a premium placed on actually managing your team well and making good moves, and when we have it to where the FA/WW is always replete with talent then takes away from the importance of doing a good job managing your roster. 

Thinking back to last year for example i specifically remember guys like Siakam, Dinwiddie, Adebayo and more all being added to teams off of the FA list. And don't get me wrong, i remember because I added Siakam and Adebayo and they helped lead my team to the finals yet again. So I'll gladly continue to take advantage of this setup if we stick with it, but i'd prefer to go to 14 roster spots to put a dent in this overpowered player pool we've got going. 

Edited by Goo Punch

also i'd like to throw out a suggestion- if you do a multi player trade, i think it's uncool to immediately drop one of the players you traded for, something that happened a few times last year. if you don't want the guy at all then just don't include him in the trade. it's a bit underhanded to trade for someone and then just immediately drop him. it's *almost* like colliding with whoever is no.1 on the WW. So just a suggestion- don't trade for a player and then immediately drop him. 

I vote C

Was there a final decision on how long you can keep a player?

Either

No time limit, last possible year to be kept is the equivalent of 2nd round pick.

Or

Can be designated a keeper 3 times (or another number) or equivalent of 2nd rd pick, whichever occurs first.

Other thoughts 

Traded players who have been kept by previous owner maintain their status, not a reset.

Undrafted keepers 10th rd or whatever is our last round?

We already discussed IR, drop added guys. Any other foreseeable issues?

made the changes of adding a 3rd utility player to the starting lineup.  

draft is tonight at 9:00pm 

entry fee is $75.  i'll ask that everyone pays $50 by december 1st and is paid in full by march 1st.

payment can be sent via paypal or venmo.  details have been posted on the league home page.

made the changes of adding a 3rd utility player to the starting lineup.  
draft is tonight at 9:00pm 
entry fee is $75.  i'll ask that everyone pays $50 by december 1st and is paid in full by march 1st.
payment can be sent via paypal or venmo.  details have been posted on the league home page.

Hey BO, I am good either way but I think it was discussed that we would pay like we did in fantasy baseball so one guy didn’t have to hold the cash. I am good with anything, just wanted to make sure that there was no confusion.

16 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Hey BO, I am good either way but I think it was discussed that we would pay like we did in fantasy baseball so one guy didn’t have to hold the cash. I am good with anything, just wanted to make sure that there was no confusion.

same. i think it's easier if we all just pay in the end.

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

gotta say, i love my team.  got a lot of roster flexibility and it feels very balanced overall.  looking forward to the season.

You got that Harden-Capela combo... Rocket games are gonna be hell against you. Here's to hoping Westbrook fucks that shit all up /GoMavs!

Edited by RCRanger03

Alright so i went through and graded everyone's drafts. Keep in mind this is my personal opinion, and if you don't like it you can suck it.

Darcy Grades-

No Longer Freaky- 93
RCRanger03- 89
SPRT- 86
Ballmatic- 89
HEB- 95
MK- 86
Capn- 88
Yippie Kyrie- 93
Radical Larry- 90
Gangsta- 90

notes:
SPRT- guards are questionable
Capn- where are the big men?
Freaky, Kyrie, HEB- best drafts imo

extra note- I completely acknowledge that Capn could kick my team's ass week 1- it's going to be a very interesting matchup of opposing styles- Capn is guard/wing heavy, while my team is big man heavy. either style can win in any given week, however it's my opinion that over the long haul of this season it's important to have solid big men.

welp, that's my two cents. anyone else can feel free to grade the draft as well. good luck ya buncha jabronis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Did we say that keepers added via FA/WW would cost a 10th round pick next year?

i think that is fine for players who weren't drafted this year, but if someone drops a guy they drafted in the 6th round and that player is picked up by someone else, i think it should cost that player a 5th round pick next year to keep said player.

fair?