2019 ATP/WTA thread

spystud13

59 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Murray's technically Scottish, yeah? Englishmen and Scots are natural enemies.

yeah he's scottish.  but it wasn't that as much as how they thought he was immature and a brat. the media really piled on him for several years.  

Probably as good a place as any to ask...

Anyone have any experience getting into Wimbledon on Day 2 or 3?  I've read up a little on the various ways to get tickets, all the way from dropping $1,000 per person for debenture seats, to standing in line the morning-of, hoping to get at-cost tickets.

Just curious if anyone has any first-hand experience.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, MirrOlure said:

Probably as good a place as any to ask...

Anyone have any experience getting into Wimbledon on Day 2 or 3?  I've read up a little on the various ways to get tickets, all the way from dropping $1,000 per person for debenture seats, to standing in line the morning-of, hoping to get at-cost tickets.

Just curious if anyone has any first-hand experience.

are you asking for this july?  if not, you can try entering the general lottery, the deadline is either nov or dec.  if you're asking for this july your two options are either debenture seats (which can get crazy $) or lining up (which can get crazy boring and usually takes 4 hours or so).  i did the queue, got there 9:30 and got into the grounds around 2.  cost 35 GBP i think?  it was the first week so i got to see a bunch of matches and hang around a bit.  the worst part was trying to figure out how to get back home.  they were doing some public work which shut down the nearest tube station so there was a huge detour and no one knew what was going on.  i tried finding a cab but no luck, i'd taken my time leaving and they were all gone. 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, spystud13 said:

@gsoda3 lived in London for awhile, maybe he knows. 

we lived outside of london but spent/spend summers in london itself with relatives.

Thanks@gsoda3

Yes, this July, and London/Wimbledon is just an add-on to a larger trip. And it would be Day 2 or 3. Sounds like the options are (1) open up the vault or (2) invest an entire day.

I think I saw that they hand out wristbands? Assume that means you don’t have to physically wait in line the entire time?

5 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Thanks@gsoda3

Yes, this July, and London/Wimbledon is just an add-on to a larger trip. And it would be Day 2 or 3. Sounds like the options are (1) open up the vault or (2) invest an entire day.

I think I saw that they hand out wristbands? Assume that means you don’t have to physically wait in line the entire time?

there are two parts to the waiting-  the first part is in a huge open field.  it starts with one line and when that line gets too long (several hundred people in a line i would say) they start another.   there were eventually 5 or 6 of these lines that i saw.  each one a few hundred yards long.  you can picnic in line or sit down in your spot or even play frisbee which was pretty popular.  there were no wristbands handed out in this line. 

wristbands were handed out as people came out of the AELTC to keep track of how many were coming out vs going in.  they gave them to people in order of where they lined up.  after a certain # of wristbands were handed out they were permitted to pay and go in to the grounds, and fun fact it's like a quarter mile or more walk to the front gate.  after you get in to the front gate of the grounds it's another not short walk before you get to the stadium courts and pavilions. 

basically if you plan on waiting in the queue, bring something to do.  or chat up some strangers (are you single? there is talent....)

Earlier match from Hua Hin was interesting. Tomljanovic was cruising to her first career title serving up 5-2 in the 3rd, 18-year old Yastremska calls one of the more questionable MTOs you’ll ever see. Kid promptly reels off 4 straight games after her miraculous recovery, then steals the title in a breaker.