2019 ATP/WTA thread

spystud13

17 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Fognini won a Masters Series event?  Was Nadal hurt or something?

Fognini can play at a very high level when he gives a shit, problem is he doesn't do so often.

Nadal gave an interview where he talked about how poorly he played. In typical fashion, he avoided giving Fognini credit for the win as much as possible.

50 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fognini can play at a very high level when he gives a shit, problem is he doesn't do so often.

Nadal gave an interview where he talked about how poorly he played. In typical fashion, he avoided giving Fognini credit for the win as much as possible.

What's your impression of Fognini?  I've seen him act like a real dick before (on the court).  I've also heard him singled out for criticism about 5-6 years ago when the Italian women were doing well in Slams with a lot less funding from the Italian government. 

7 hours ago, Bullneck said:

What's your impression of Fognini?  I've seen him act like a real dick before (on the court).  I've also heard him singled out for criticism about 5-6 years ago when the Italian women were doing well in Slams with a lot less funding from the Italian government. 

On clay he has a lot of ability and all the shots. But he doesn't have an even temper and is very inconsistent. A lot of the Italian crowds grew sick of his thin-skinned behaviour towards the media, on-court temper tantrums, and lack of results to make up for it. A few years ago he was tossed from the US Open for calling an umpire a whore.

The nickname he has in Italy, 'Fogna', literally means 'sewer'. 😂

He might work his way into shape, but he just looks so lumbering and heavy footed out there to me. I don’t think it’s his skill set that’s diminished...his mobility is just lackluster to me. He could usually overcome superior shotmakers with insane defense and win wars of attrition but not sure he has the legs now.

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

Thiem cruises to a win in Barcelona. It's his biggest clay tournament victory since the Rio Open two years ago.

Also, looks like Murray will make his return at Wimbledon this year!

It's sounding more and more like Andy no longer has retirement on his mind, especially if he remains pain free after Wimbledon I bet he keeps going indefinitely

2 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

He’s been planning to play all season. 

Interesting, since he skipped last year.  Did he play Monte Carlo, and is he planning on Rome?  Hamburg used to be his big warm up for RG.

I would have thought he was saving his energy for one last Wimbledon.  

Interesting points from this Tennis Channel article. With Federer returning to clay after three years, Nadal starting to look slightly human, and Djokovic back at No. 1 but not at his peak yet, this year's French Open could have a huge impact on the GOAT race between the three.