2019 Texas Women's Tennis

Aleemay

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sigh..... Markovic transferred to Hawaii.

Granic also missing from the roster. Don't know why. She gave an interview to a Croatian website just last month.

https://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/sport/tenis/clanak/id/613175/sad-se-zeli-okusati-i-na-wta-touru-splicanka-dosla-na-odmor-iz-sad-a-i-usput-postala-prvakinja-hrvatske

If Google translate is working correctly, she was talking about playing the $15k tournaments in the fall when she got back and sounded excited to be finishing her marketing degree here.

Let's hope there's some second semester freshmen Joffe is working to get over here.

Oh wow Joffe does have a huge recruit- Adrienn Nagy (according to twitter). Top 30 Junior ranking (this is higher than Bianca's career high) BUT most importantly has big doubles results. Current Junior Australian Open and Orange Bowl doubles champion. Also a semifinalist at this year's French Open. Represented her country in Fed Cup. Currently competing at the US Junior Open. Mother was also a professional tennis player.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Nagy played ITF 15K back in Hungary and reached quarters, including an impressive win over a Finnish opponent who has won 2 ITFs this summer.

Bianca beat All American Lauren Proctor in California this week.

How much do parents spend on this sport? Global travel and all these tournaments, what a rip off.

50 minutes ago, Goodman said:

How much do parents spend on this sport? Global travel and all these tournaments, what a rip off.

Hate to say it but lots of tennis does come from parent's financial support. I've known friends just at the national level spending around $20,000 a year on the sport. Not going to be specific but there have been quite a few players at Texas in the past two decades who come from well off background and are able to play ITFs making their prep results quite impressive. On the flip side, there have also been other players that aren't as accomplished due to limited resources before they've come to Texas and have excelled.

With Nagy, I'm cautious to say but I think she's getting support from her national tennis federation- due to having played Fed Cup and having an Olympian parent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Austin ITF 15K going on right now. Bianca and Anna are doing their usual things. Fernanda had a good win too in the first round.

Keep an eye on another player too- Charlotte Chavatipon who verballed to play for the Horns next year. Beat Maria Lourdes Carles today who played #3 at Georgia and was an All American as a freshmen last year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bianca just won a 25K this week. Really good as this was on hard court. In addition, she had her highest ranked win. Really close to breaking into the top 300.

Anna made the finals of Fall Nationals. This should set her up decently to qualifying as an All American this year. Also impressed that Lexi got two wins this week.

Lineup prediction for the spring:

1. Bianca

2. Anna

3. Lexi/Nagy

4. Lexi/Nagy

5. Labrana (also had a pretty good fall season)

6. Perez-Mur

I think Tijana will find herself into the doubles lineup as she has some better technical double skills than some of her teammates.

• 1 month later...

Wow. She was going to play line 3 for us too. Guess she didn’t get along with Joffee? Now we’re down to 6 players on scholarship. 

edit: that tweet was posted 4 weeks ago and her bio is still on texassports.com. usually Texas sports is quick to remove bios of players that leave the program. Not saying the report is wrong but I would wait for more sources 

Edited by perfectchaos007

From my tennis site... 

she may have entered transfer portal but could play for UT this Spring since she committed for Fall 2020 to Pepperdine, now will she play who knows.

Is that possible? I fucking despise all transfer portal mentions. 

if she’s a 1 season rental then fine. Many hoops players are recruited with the coach knowing they’ll leave for the NBA after 1 year but that doesn’t stop them from offering. She’s essentially a known 1 and done, but instead of going pro she’ll transfer to another school it looks like. She’s too valuable in the lineup for Joffee to get caught up in his feelings and bench her all season knowing she’ll be gone after the season ends 

• 2 weeks later...

So this is an old tweet. But I didn't want to post this in case it was a false one. However I just saw her in the Instagram account. Looks like Texas got Lulu Sun. Maybe there's some eligibility issues and that's why she's not on the website roster yet but Lulu is an accomplished player with a Junior record that is (in my opinion) even better than Bianca's. High of 13 in juniors, Australian Open Junior Doubles finalist, has made deep runs at singles Junior grand slams, Youth Olympic Games participant, couple $15k wins, top 500 ranking, etc.

IF she gets eligible, I can't see why Texas would not be in the conversation for a national championship

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 4

If Ryngler is done then we are down to 6 scholarship players. Our walk-on Gabby would effectively be a default if she has to be used so this team is walking a thin line right now. If we can keep at least 6 scholarship players healthy throughout the season we’ll be in good shape. If not, we’re fucked

"It just felt like the right fit. They are offering me the one-and-done deal, where I can go for a year and leave after and then come back and get my education,” Stearns said. “They will bring me to at least seven pro tournaments, and I trust them. Some other schools say they will, but I have never seen their players play that many. That was huge for me."

I guess using the Turati's success (and to an extent Labrana's) on the pro circuit is going to be a huge recruiting tool for Texas

Interesting to hear that Peyton's mom is a UT alum

From what I've seen so far, I think Ryngler is still with the team. Texas will be playing Florida State in the first round of indoor nationals.

• Like 2