2019 Texas Women's Tennis

Aleemay

On 3/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Is Tijana hurt? I have no problem keeping our senior Poluta in singles but I would rather have her JUST in singles and perhaps Tijana just in doubles. Height is an advantage in doubles and Tijana has the 13” advantage over Poluta there

For some reason, I did not see her yesterday at the courts. But she was at the basketball center today with the rest of her teammates and seemed physically fine.

On 3/8/2019 at 1:15 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

We lost the doubles point to Florida State. We lost the doubles point to Rice last week. Needs practice 

As someone that knows little about tennis why do we struggle with doubles but not singles? They just don't have much experience playing with each other? Or is their game a better fit in singles? 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

As someone that knows little about tennis why do we struggle with doubles but not singles? They just don't have much experience playing with each other? Or is their game a better fit in singles? 

Thats right. A lot of our players, particularly the Turatis and Poluta have singles games that don't translate as well to doubles compared to their singles. Take Bianca for example whos one of the best singles players in college tennis. Bianca uses a lot of variety in her singles game, but that variety can be snuffed out easier in doubles because there's a woman at the net. In doubles, the three things that matter MORE than they do in singles are power, height, and aggressive net play. So there are definitely singles players who's games could translate easier into doubles, but most of our players have games better suited for singles.

38 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Thats right. A lot of our players, particularly the Turatis and Poluta have singles games that don't translate as well to doubles compared to their singles. Take Bianca for example whos one of the best singles players in college tennis. Bianca uses a lot of variety in her singles game, but that variety can be snuffed out easier in doubles because there's a woman at the net. In doubles, the three things that matter MORE than they do in singles are power, height, and aggressive net play. So there are definitely singles players who's games could translate easier into doubles, but most of our players have games better suited for singles.

Yep. Anna and Bianca hit loopy ground strokes as that's their style to grind things out. Poluta also hits loopy strokes due to her short stature which can easily be taken out of the air by the net person. Bojana has the ground game to be a great doubles player but her volleying technique needs some improving. Tijana also tends to go through lapses where she's a statue at net.

On the other hand, a good doubles player but not necessarily a good singles player would be someone with fast hands and flat ground strokes hitting spots X and Y but who tends to over think the mental aspect and shanks balls like crazy (think Wagland)

• Like 1

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/2019/03/08/turati-twins-bring-new-meaning-to-doubles-play-at-texas

Article about the Turati twins last week. Now I know this writer is new and that this is a student newspaper, but there are some pretty bad errors in this and past articles.

"The victories also caught the eye of head coach Howard Joffe who was looking to revitalize the Longhorns after missing multiple NCAA Tournaments despite having scholarship players."

Texas only missed the NCAA tournament one year. Fendick-McCain had a 100% record of advancing to the postseason.

On 3/8/2019 at 4:53 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Is Tijana hurt? I have no problem keeping our senior Poluta in singles but I would rather have her JUST in singles and perhaps Tijana just in doubles. Height is an advantage in doubles and Tijana has the 13” advantage over Poluta there

Tijana is in the doubles lineup today!

• Like 1

Illinois had the same exact players from last year's team that beat Texas playing singles today. Petra and Fernanda beat players that they lost against.

Solid 7-3 record, considering half of the matches Texas was playing without Petra. Based on the non-conference play, I would say that Oklahoma State poses the biggest threat to Texas defending the Big XII title this year.

Looking through both of these rosters got me wondering, why is it legal for a public university funded by tax payers to give scholarships to foreigners? That seems very stupid, all scholarships by public universities should go to kids from the states. 

Edited by Goodman

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

Looking through both of these rosters got me wondering, why is it legal for a public university funded by tax payers to give scholarships to foreigners? That seems very stupid, all scholarships by public universities should go to kids from the states. 

If only private universities could give foreign players scholarships, only private universities would field competitive tennis teams at the D1 level. And yeah as long as I’ve been following college tennis (15 years or so) I’ve noticed most D1 rosters are comprised of at least 70% foreigners with a few exceptions here in there. So this isn’t anything new. If public universities weren’t allowed to give foreign players scholarships you may as well disband the tennis programs at Texas because the private schools who can get foreign recruits would wipe the floor with us 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goodman said:

The screaming in women's tennis is out of control. This Spanish chola is over the top with her swingasms.

I have bad news for you. This was championship point in the 12 and under division at the Easter bowl last month. These girls will probably be college tennis players in 7 years. Grunting isn't going away.

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

This issue has been long debated for years well before I started playing tennis (in the '00s) and here's some of the issues. @perfectchaos007 feel free to correct me on any of these statement as I believe we both have seen many of this during our prep years.

The first general issue is publicly funded programs giving scholarships to foreigners. If I'm correct, UT's athletic program is  sustained financially by itself and is thus not reliant on tax payers money. TCU is also a private university. So if we were to ban or limit foreigners on athletic programs that are publicly funded, there would have been no effect on today's teams.

Limiting the number of foreigners on ALL college team is also not that great of an idea. It's so not much of an issue at programs like UT or Florida but it will be an extreme problem for the mid major teams like Stephen F Austin, New Mexico State, Wichita State, etc. trickling down to the NAIA and JUCO levels. The thing about tennis is a lot of American players are from well to do families and do not need help both financially and academically to get into colleges. A lot of junior tennis players would rather walk on or play club tennis at a big name university rather than play tennis at a school three hours away from a major city with a student population the same as their high school. I know numerous friends and other people who were rated 3 or 4 stars that would have been great players at Southland schools and the DII level instead go to a big state school for more of a traditional college experience. The traditional powerhouse high school girls tennis program in Texas is Highland Park but most of the girls don't take scholarship offers (compare this to Katy High School football, Abilene High Volleyball, Duncanville Girls Bball).

JUCO tried to limit the number of foreigners in 2012 only for them to be sued and have the regulation repealed in 2015.

Coaches also LOVE to recruit foreigners as they're seen as more reliable than Americans. Foreigners are more likely to commit right after their official visit and not string coaches along and flip like Americans. Also foreigners are quick fixes. When Fendick McCain was having trouble filling her roster, she was able in a span of several months to convince an international to take her exiting exams, graduate, and come to UT a year early. Joffe has turned every program he's been at (Ohio, Maryland, A&M, and now UT)  into conference leaders because of his ability to recruit and get foreign players to play for him at struggling places.

Edited by Aleemay
  • Like 3

Don't know if this is a mistake but if the live scores are showing the true lineups today, Baylor is clearly not giving any effort today. Of the six singles listed, three walk ons are playing and they're also forfeiting line 6.

2 hours ago, Aleemay said:

Don't know if this is a mistake but if the live scores are showing the true lineups today, Baylor is clearly not giving any effort today. Of the six singles listed, three walk ons are playing and they're also forfeiting line 6.

That’s very strange. If you can field a doubles lineup you should be able to field a singles lineup. Both require the same number of players! (6)

That was easily the worst lineup I've ever seen in a conference match.

Really curious to see what Baylor did. Angie S played only doubles as has been the case lately for her, looks like she's getting back into shape from injury by slowly playing herself back in and just playing doubles. However, their players Livia K and Jessica H who have played almost every match were instead rested. Don't believe they have an injury.