Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

23 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Talked with someone in the know about Central Machine Works. They didn't have permits in place yet when they opened so they were brewing their beer at Southern Heights. As a result they didn't have much available and were not expecting the turnout they saw.  They should be going full steam ahead soon.

A bit of a lulz I was told is that they came up with this bad ass logo with the silhouette of a nude women swinging a hammer at an anvil, ordered merch, painted it on the water tank outside, etc.  An old lady, who owns all of the land in that area, invested a big chunk of cash in the brewery and sits on the board.  She never showed up to anything ever. She walks in right at opening and complains she's gonna pull funding if they don't get rid of the logo since she found it offensive towards women. So, they had to paint over the water tower and trash a lot of merch.  It's still on a few things at the brewery so those things may be collector items one day.

this is the same lady who threw a fit about lou's bodega gentrifying the neighborhood and held a protest outside. but apparently as long as she has a stake in it, gentrification is totally cool. 

On 12/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, Iceman said:

Happiness is being in the Cen Tex and finding 2 cases of Primus.  I’ve said for a long time that this one beer I’d pay a shit-ton more for, but the same could be said of Live Oak’s Hefe.  They just make really awesome, honest, tasty beer.  They just don’t make it up to the Panhandle...

This stuff is so freaking good!

Live Oak's Hefe is the nectar of the Götterdämmerung.

Last night I had some of the Independence Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout aged in Garrison Brothers Whiskey Barrels for about six months.  Damn that is some tasty, tasty stuff. 

I read, or someone posted here, a while back that Ballast Point was really struggling. Just sits on shelves. I haven't bought any in forever. I know it's super overpriced.

The last time I had a Ballast Point beer, it was a Sculpin variant in a bottle, and it was stupid old and tasted awful.
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:26 PM, Iceman said:

Happiness is being in the Cen Tex and finding 2 cases of Primus.  I’ve said for a long time that this one beer I’d pay a shit-ton more for, but the same could be said of Live Oak’s Hefe.  They just make really awesome, honest, tasty beer.  They just don’t make it up to the Panhandle...

This stuff is so freaking good!

When they first started canning it and distributing, HEB treated it like all their other beers, so there was about a week where all LO beers, including Primus, were available for $6.97 per 6-pack.  Even when not on promo it's still crazily cheap for what it's worth, but I took great satisfaction in buying my HEB completely our of their Primus stock at $6.97... :)

• Like 1

In New Mexico for a few days.  In the past 24 hours I have had

La Cumbre Hefe:  not Live Oak, of course, but on tap, it's in the discussion.  Very tasty beer.

De La Vega's Pecan Beer- brown ale with pecan base, but almost a peanut butter finish, and I mean that in the most positive way.  Very nice after dinner beer.

Bosque's Scotia Scotch Ale- 8.4 ABV and only 25 IBU.  Multiple layers of flavor and absolutely delicious.

Sierra Blanca's Nut Brown Ale- darker than most browns, akin to a porter.  deep rich flavor that made it very satisfying.

Maybe because there ain't shit in West Texas when it comes to craft beer, save for maybe Pappy Slocum in Abilene, but some of this NM beer is worth the trip.

Edited by Iceman

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

In New Mexico for a few days.  In the past 24 hours I have had

La Cumbre Hefe:  not Live Oak, of course, but on tap, it's in the discussion.  Very tasty beer.

De La Vega's Pecan Beer- brown ale with pecan base, but almost a peanut butter finish, and I mean that in the most positive way.  Very nice after dinner beer.

Bosque's Scotia Scotch Ale- 8.4 ABV and only 25 IBU.  Multiple layers of flavor and absolutely delicious.

Sierra Blanca's Nut Brown Ale- darker than most browns, akin to a porter.  deep rich flavor that made it very satisfying.

Maybe because there ain't shit in West Texas when it comes to craft beer, save for maybe Pappy Slocum in Abilene, but some of this NM beer is worth the trip.

Find this

SUN-FADE-FOR-WEBSITE-01.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

Find this

SUN-FADE-FOR-WEBSITE-01.png

I can't do the IPA's, my brother. I understand the appeal and love it that so many folks like them and support brewers by buying them, but I simply cannot get past what tastes like pine cones/ pine sol to me.  Thank you for the suggestion of another La Cumbre brew.

9 hours ago, Iceman said:

I can't do the IPA's, my brother. I understand the appeal and love it that so many folks like them and support brewers by buying them, but I simply cannot get past what tastes like pine cones/ pine sol to me.  Thank you for the suggestion of another La Cumbre brew.

Keep in mind it is a New England IPA or a Hazy IPA which are quite a bit different. To each their own, but if you happen upon it on tap, get a taster.

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

It's one of my favorite beers. I picked one up for Christmas Eve. Almost got the vanilla too, but didn't want to drop $30 on two beers.

The Central Market in Dallas on Lovers had the vanillas for $7.50 each about a week and a half ago.  I purchased several as CBC was selling them for twice that.

• Like 1