Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

I've got a few of these babies in my fridge for later. It is called High Life and it is made by Miller. 

Miller High Life

Honestly, sometimes I get tired of trying to figure out what beer I want and just grab a cheap twelve pack of Coors Banquet. Which is what I've got in the fridge right now.

Who was that on the old board that would post only pics of whale bottles or whatever and a bunch of guys basically ran him off because he never offered any opinions or descriptions along with his photos?

It's probably okay for him to come on back now.

24 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

question that came up with a buddy: what are your top 3 bucket list breweries to visit? let’s keep it to USA only, so we don’t all list cantillon or one of the abbeys.

tough question, but right now i’m going with:
sierra nevada-mills river (been to chico)
pfriem family brewers
hill farmstead

pFriem is a good choice. I like breweries that do various styles well.

Hill Farmstead

Maybe Russian River.

question that came up with a buddy: what are your top 3 bucket list breweries to visit? let’s keep it to USA only, so we don’t all list cantillon or one of the abbeys.

tough question, but right now i’m going with:
sierra nevada-mills river (been to chico)
pfriem family brewers
hill farmstead

Sierra Nevada and Russian River are both on my list. Hope to make it out that way this year.

4 hours ago, D_Goose said:

Who was that on the old board that would post only pics of whale bottles or whatever and a bunch of guys basically ran him off because he never offered any opinions or descriptions along with his photos?

It's probably okay for him to come on back now.

Surly beer thread trend I'm hoping will end.

8 hours ago, Todd Gack said:

Surly beer thread trend I'm hoping will end.

Third Space Anniversary IPA | Zilker Brewing Co.

2.89/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

$12.49 USD per sixer in the Austin, TX market. Canned 04/16/18 (i.e. 2 days ago).

7.0% ABV. "hazy, triple dry hopped IPA." Brewed for Zilker's 3rd anniversary.

Pours a hazy yellow body. Quite pulpy. Head is white and thin, dying within 5 minutes but giving way to the top of the head almost immediately.

Aroma: Muted juice pulp. Citrus. Starch (from oats or wheat or something). Floral notes.

Muted citrus is the emphasis here, and some drinkers will find it bends medicinal, hinting at Delsym. Suggests a lackluster IPA with poor hop pungency.

TASTE: Oat-like starch. Pale malt. Muted citrus (mainly orange, with some tangerine as well). Citrus pulp.

Rather shallow and simplistic. Lacks the hop pungency and depth of flavour one would expect in a competent IPA; I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale less than an hour ago and that easily had more hop pungency and flavour than this does.

TEXTURE: Unrefreshing, pulpy, overly thick, smooth, wet, medium to full-bodied. Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy, but its pulpy feel is off-putting and makes it more filling than it ought to be.

OVERALL: Shallow simple fare from Zilker. A sad attempt to cash in on the turbid IPA substyle that all the kids are pining after these days. It'd be nice to see Zilker's brewers put out something with more inspiration and intent behind it; this is so obviously a painful cash-grab and its lack of quality sullies the anniversary ostensibly being celebrated...I guess it's the beer equivalent of bringing your wife of three years to that new restaurant that exclusively serves a cuisine you know she doesn't like "because it's trendy." Disappointing, uninspired, imitative work.

C (2.89) / AVERAGE

04/21/18 more notes from a couple cans:

Yeah, this is very subdued hopwise, and the hop profile isn't all that engaging to start with. Pulpy citrus is basically all this has to offer, and flavour intensity is rather low for the style.

I have to say it does hide its ABV well, but that serves to make it drink even more like a pale ale when coupled with its lack of commitment to its hops, hop pungency, and complexity. Very shallow subdued fare for an ostensible IPA.

C / AVERAGE

2,206 characters

bottlecap, Apr 19, 2018