Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

17 hours ago, hacker said:

What was the price?  My local beer station wants 18.50 for a 4 pack

The Primus is usually something like $8.74 for a 6-pack, which is already a bargain.  But I've caught it on sale for $7.74 before.  That's a steal.

You were of course asking about the Primus, right? :)

Edited by utee94

Anybody else find that after your endeavors into craft beer, especially with  regard to the extremes in Stouts or hoppy pinecone shit; that the day to day American lager just doesn't make a shit to you?

IDGAF if it's Miller High Life or Natty Light.  It doesn't make a huge move on the needle with regard to my enjoyment of said libation whether it is Bud, Miller, or Keystone.

On 1/14/2019 at 7:05 AM, utee94 said:

The Primus is usually something like $8.74 for a 6-pack, which is already a bargain.  But I've caught it on sale for $7.74 before.  That's a steal.

You were of course asking about the Primus, right? :)

Yes.  typically 8.99 without being on sale, and yes, I'd absolutely pay double for that shit.

So good!

#celebratefloaties!!!

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Anybody else find that after your endeavors into craft beer, especially with  regard to the extremes in Stouts or hoppy pinecone shit; that the day to day American lager just doesn't make a shit to you?

IDGAF if it's Miller High Life or Natty Light.  It doesn't make a huge move on the needle with regard to my enjoyment of said libation whether it is Bud, Miller, or Keystone.

It’s pretty much beer-flavored water.

For the most part, I’ll only drink craft beer but sometimes I just feel like a Miller Lite. If I want something that isn’t overly heavy and easy drinking and that’s my go to.

16 minutes ago, Mango4 said:

For the most part, I’ll only drink craft beer but sometimes I just feel like a Miller Lite. If I want something that isn’t overly heavy and easy drinking and that’s my go to.

Yeah, for me, that’s a hefe or mddle of the road red or brown. 

In the olden days, for lake beer I needed cans and the selection was pretty limited.  Pacifico or Modelo were my typical choices.

But we're living in a Golden Age of delicious craft beer in cans.  My choices for lake day beers are nearly limitless.  It's great to be alive!

Any Houstonians catch Parish in the wild on the good side of the Sabine?

I was passing through Broussard yesterday for work and got some Ghost and Reve bottles. Gent behind the counter said most of roll-out kegs are going faster than they anticipated.
I'm sure I'll miss out, but several local places have been posting that they have it. Petrol Station sold out in like two hours the other day.

12 hours ago, slorch said:

I've actually started drinking the lower end American lagers for this exact reason.

There are definitely times when I just don't feel like craft beer.  If we're going kayaking, or tailgating, or golfing, or some kind of activity where I'll be drinking throughout the day and don't want to spend a ton of money/get stinking drunk, I just go with regular beer.  There is so little difference between the "high end" American lagers (Bud/Bud Light, Coors/Coors Light, Miller, Mich Golden) and the cheap stuff (Natty, High Life, Busch Light) that I go for the cheap stuff.

The only exception is the super cheap beers made in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  There are a couple of breweries in Wisconsin, and one in Minnesota that specialize in making the cheapest possible beer on the market.  There are about 5-6 different brands, and it is absolute piss water.  It tastes like grape jelly and metal shavings.  Stuff like Kul (with an umlaut), Boxer, Mountain Creek, and Gluek.  That shit should never be drank by anyone ever.  Just fucking trash.

10 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

I was passing through Broussard yesterday for work and got some Ghost and Reve bottles. Gent behind the counter said most of roll-out kegs are going faster than they anticipated.

Had a few Ghosts last night off the tap at a local spot by my house. They started serving at 4pm and were almost tapped out around 9 last night. 

Lonestar is still the choice of river beer, for sure.  But you learn to drink shitty light beer playing softball when the cheap son-of-a-bitch on the team strikes out and brings 2 6-packs of Big Flats.  And when drinking beer and running around, you don't want to chug good beers, shit goes to waste.

I've actually started drinking the lower end American lagers for this exact reason.
There are definitely times when I just don't feel like craft beer.  If we're going kayaking, or tailgating, or golfing, or some kind of activity where I'll be drinking throughout the day and don't want to spend a ton of money/get stinking drunk, I just go with regular beer.  There is so little difference between the "high end" American lagers (Bud/Bud Light, Coors/Coors Light, Miller, Mich Golden) and the cheap stuff (Natty, High Life, Busch Light) that I go for the cheap stuff.
The only exception is the super cheap beers made in Minnesota and Wisconsin.  There are a couple of breweries in Wisconsin, and one in Minnesota that specialize in making the cheapest possible beer on the market.  There are about 5-6 different brands, and it is absolute piss water.  It tastes like grape jelly and metal shavings.  Stuff like Kul (with an umlaut), Boxer, Mountain Creek, and Gluek.  That shit should never be drank by anyone ever.  Just fucking trash.

Don’t forget Beer 30

I've gone back to dabbling into BIG BEER because the cost of craft has driven me back to thinking about my beer budget. I'm between 2 - 8 beers per night depending on the day, so some of that has to be absorbed by non-craft. Lone Star is still a fun beer to drink, even though it tastes like a hangover to me. Coors is the benchmark for lagers. I wish they still made Michelob. That reminds me of soccer practice in U-8s. That was our dad's dad-night beer in the park and Michelob was their jam. Anyway, i think big beer tastes fine as long as you don't go to the light lagers because, why would you? Calories? Fuck that.

(i'm super thankful for BVBs mama tried usually being $13/per twelve at HEB. Thats just a great beer and better deal.)

Craft pilsners like Live Oak Pilz aren't too heavy for lake or river beer. In fact they're perfect.  I'm not surly1% or anything  but to me it's worth it to drink a tasty lager instead of macroswill.  Although I will occasionally down some Banquet Beer, it's what my dad drank and reminds me good times.

Anyway, on weekends I can easily get up to 8 beers in a day.  M-Th I typically don't drink at all unless we're going out for dinner or drinks after work or something.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Okie State said:
21 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

I'm sure I'll miss out, but several local places have been posting that they have it. Petrol Station sold out in like two hours the other day.

hughies had it on tap yesterday

I've cut back recently and am at about a sixer a week on average, but it's never really been much more than that post college. Add a few if something is going on during the weekend.

I was just curious because, for me, usually one after work is enough. I have no idea if that's above or below average.

17 hours ago, Okie State said:

Is 2-8 beers per night standard for this thread? Genuinely curious.

Honestly it’s 2-3 per day for me. Some days it’s zero.

except on college football Saturdays and NFL Sundays, so yeah, from September through January, it can be a lot more depending on the mood/ gameday. Then it can be 6-8 or so.

I will not drink if I am pissed off. I do drink beer for the taste.  My friends who know how much I love beer give me shit for how little I drink. I just make em count though...instead of drinking that beer flavored water.

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Craft pilsners like Live Oak Pilz aren't too heavy for lake or river beer. In fact they're perfect.  I'm not surly1% or anything  but to me it's worth it to drink a tasty lager instead of macroswill.  Although I will occasionally down some Banquet Beer, it's what my dad drank and reminds me good times.

Anyway, on weekends I can easily get up to 8 beers in a day.  M-Th I typically don't drink at all unless we're going out for dinner or drinks after work or something.

Yah, the pilsners are perfect for the lake/ mowing/ whatever.  So is a properly made kolsch.  As mentioned earlier, I do like a good hefe in the summer time too.

I will sip on a stout in the summertime after mowing the yard and a neighbor will comment about how they could never drink those because it’s summer.   Yeah, well... good beer never goes out of season.

I get a kick out of what some folks consider heavy/lite/ medium.   I’m looking at you, the guy who thinks Shiner Bock is ‘too dark!’

39 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Spotted these last night at Spec's. I bought a few cases. Figure I can flip them at $50/bottle.92c3cf6d39856a158227c8237a340bb9.jpg

Good luck as I dont think there is much demand for it, I know Bunkerhill HEB has a similar sized stack along with regular BCBS

I make a point of not drinking 3-4 nights a week.  When it's planting or harvest seasons (about 3.5 months total) I don't really drink at all.

Non-harvest, I'll drink on Thursday night through Sunday if it's compatible with what I have going on.  I couldn't tell you the exact #, but most of the time I back off when I hit that solid buzz in order to be "present".

For big ISU games, or bachelor parties I cut really loose.