Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

As I am wont to do, I like to theme my in-game beer drinking. Went all Philadelphia beers for the Cowboys game against the Eagles. As Victory seemed to be the only beers that I could find around here, they were seemingly all I had to work with.

8072e8f5d264c2aa7a5a756cb89055fb.jpg

Overall, an underwhelming slate of beers (sometimes you know the bit is not gonna really pay off beer-wise). However, this was a really nice surprise. Really smooth, delicious and drinkable for 14.3% ABV.

44d34c7df9c124c6056b705995ae2ddc.jpg

Here’s a pic just because the stout doesn’t properly showcase the cool/nerdiness of my glass.

a2f115739ac3ddd4cf8fddf441e7a085.jpg

• Like 2

So I don’t post here but my gf loves beer so we end up hanging out at breweries when we travel, I have no complaints. Anyway, we are at the broken compass brewing company in Breckenridge right now and holy shit the craft beers probably the best I’ve ever tasted.

532baa21556b8a2b4d9a5b0bd5102e70.jpg

Doing a flight now and the hits just keep coming...

Chocolate coffee stout

Apricot blonde

Ginger pale ale

Chocolate pumpkin ale

Coconut porter

Chai ginger pale ale

Belgian ale aged in Merlot barrels

Holy shit you beer guys make it up this way you have to stop by. These fellas have it down pat. Super impressed.

• Like 2

Friend brought over some Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter Imperial Stout.  Brewed with heather honey and aged on oak barrels for at least  4 months.  Amazing appearance. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, and dark bread/crust; with lighter notes of licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Mild increasing booze as it warms, but not overwhelming. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast notes; with big strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, and dark bread/crust; with lighter notes of licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery, roast, charred bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, dark bread/crust, licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; with an awesome hop/char bitter/sweet balance; and no minimal acrid/astringent flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/velvety/bready, and fairly sticky/chalky/resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is great. Mild increasing warmth of 12% after the finish. Overall this is an amazing Russian imperial stout. All around amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to sip on for the huge ABV with the modestly bitter/charred/resinous/drying finish. Nicely soft, and not overly bitter/charred. Definitely needs a bit of age for the freshness. Perfectly balanced between super rich dark/black/roasted malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast. Mild residual sweetness with lingering hop/char bitter dryness. A highly enjoyable offering, and amazing spot on style example as expected. Reminds me of Little Betty from Nebraska Brewing Company  a lot on the fresh hop intensity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Friend brought over some Närke Kaggen Stormaktsporter Imperial Stout.  Brewed with heather honey and aged on oak barrels for at least  4 months.  Amazing appearance. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, and dark bread/crust; with lighter notes of licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Mild increasing booze as it warms, but not overwhelming. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast notes; with big strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, and dark bread/crust; with lighter notes of licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness. Light-moderate pine, citrus peel/rind, herbal, floral, woody, grassy, peppery, roast, charred bitterness on the finish. Lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, caramel, brown sugar, molasses, toffee, raisin, prune, cherry, fig, date, apricot, orange, grapefruit, citrus peel/rind, wood, peppercorn, pine, roasted nuts, toasted biscuit, dark bread/crust, licorice, smoke, charcoal, leather, tobacco, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast/roast/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; with an awesome hop/char bitter/sweet balance; and no minimal acrid/astringent flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full body; with a very smooth, creamy/silky/velvety/bready, and fairly sticky/chalky/resinous/rindy balanced mouthfeel that is great. Mild increasing warmth of 12% after the finish. Overall this is an amazing Russian imperial stout. All around amazing complexity, robustness, and balance of dark/black/roast/bready malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; very smooth and dangerously easy to sip on for the huge ABV with the modestly bitter/charred/resinous/drying finish. Nicely soft, and not overly bitter/charred. Definitely needs a bit of age for the freshness. Perfectly balanced between super rich dark/black/roasted malts, citrus/earthy hops, and fruity yeast. Mild residual sweetness with lingering hop/char bitter dryness. A highly enjoyable offering, and amazing spot on style example as expected. Reminds me of Little Betty from Nebraska Brewing Company  a lot on the fresh hop intensity.

So was it good... or....?

Flippers Tavern in LBK last night.

Destihl Privyet- 12.4%ABV, Imperial Russian Stout tasty as hell. Very balanced and did not taste that boozy for a +12 ABV, which also can be dangerous. Nice chocolaty, malty flavor.

Prairie Christmas Bomb- 13%ABV Christmas Ales with the usual nutmeg/ cinnamon/ clovesy type spices, but well hidden within the overall flavor of the brew.  It was everything I expect from the bastards from Oklahoma, big on the flavor, yet still highly drinkable.

• Like 1

I’m pretty ok with the Slushy beer trend not really taking off in Texas, but I do find this drama around 450 North Brewing mislabeling a 2.2% abv beer as 8% to be hilarious.

Adding a shit ton of fruit juice and fruit purée after fermentation lowers the abv? Derp.

Nothing like paying $20 for a four pack of fruit juice.

I have 21 pintglasses because that is exactly what my cabinet holds.  Like others have said, a different glass for different occasions.

Yeah, i get it that 21 ain't that many, but they each have significant sentimental value like 1st Cav from my son, Astros glass, or certain breweries I visited on trips.