Beer 2019, imo.

HenryJames

On 1/21/2019 at 1:09 PM, D_Goose said:

I know I'm late on this but evidently the brut IPA is the hazy/mosaic/SMaSH/west coast of 2019. 

I think Bruts will be a flash in the pan. imo, the next big trend will be sour NEIPAs.  These things are pretty awesome. 

Edited by Fozzz

Odd is exactly how I would describe it. It’s good but not memorable.
I still have some DR16 - that was a hell of a beer.
I thought 16 was okay mostly because it was something different and interesting. I'm not a huge fan of smokey beers though.

I love imperial stouts so 15 and 18 really nailed it for me.

I really am not crazy about spiced beers either. I tolerate it with Pumpkinator because it's a once a year thing and I get my fill and that's it. Otherwise it's just too much.

I haven't had anything from them in a while. Have they branched out from Hazy IPA's at all?

Not to my knowledge. BaaBaa is going with the do 1 thing, but do it exceptionally well model. They closed their regular tap room hours a little while back. We live off of 359 and drive through Brookshire regularly so we were kind of sad to see that.

Yesterday was the Resilience IPA (benefit for CA wildfires) launch, only had 1 of the brews, But wouldn’t have known it wasn’t Sierra Nevada. It was pretty busy. I got there early chatted with a buddy while I drank 1 bought my cans and left.

They don’t have anything else on their website calendar or Facebook, but I think that model will work for them for a long time. Brew great beer. Keep it supplied around town. Get some canning runs supplied in inventory. Pre-sale. Sell out. Repeat. (That is unless the hazy fad just complete dies in Houston)

I know they partnered up for larger runs (their setup is only 3-5 bbls) on benefit beers and special brews, but I’m not knowledgeable enough on that to comment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Too bad. Spent a lot of Sunday afternoons there sipping beers while the kiddos played. 

I don’t think it had all that much to do with construction though. I hadn’t seen it crowded in years. 

Usually did happy hour or dinner there once a month, and it has been noticeably less crowded with each visit. Had lunch there two weeks ago and there were maybe ten people , but to be fair there isn't near the amount of businesses around it like the north location.The construction does suck but I agree that there is more to it than that.

18 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

What’s the word on Hops & Grain trying to sell their 6th street operation? Is their San Marcos location ever going to open? Seems like it was due to open over a year ago.

As mentioned, Last Stand was VERY close to buying it, deal fell through due to some sort of licensing I think. I might me making that part up. Anyway, SM is still going through back of the house permitting, but buildout is done, just a few details to wrap up. They wanted to open up the taproom last year and distribute from 6th street to SM, but some local or county rule prevented that. They still have their barrel "room" thats housing a bunch of SM shit in far east austin. I think once they clear that out, they might move there or open up that barrel program they've been talking about for a while.

7 hours ago, HenryJames said:

"Either move or expand" is a pretty hilarious spectrum. Circle was all but gone to open a farmhouse (hahahahaha) brewery until McKalla Place was announced. Now they think their brewery can be sustainable. Not sure it makes it to 2021 in its current iteration though ... although lots of people love em out in the market. Their taproom is awful though, so not sure they are really capitalizing on their potential. I hope they stick around just to siphon off some of the gameday brewery foot traffic. Also, hope more breweries open in that area. Its a blank slate for austin brewing culture with all the shit going on there within the next 2-3 years.

Edited by Bottlecap

Somewhat agree, as I feel they’re pretty average across the board, but I really like Art Car. It’s a go-to for me at the grocery store. I almost always have a 12 pack of it at the house.

their IPA game is lacking, but 5 o’clock pilz and summer pils are great. i still enjoy spring bock and christmas ale, and the bishop’s barrel is as good a clean (non-funky) barrel aged program as any in Texas. i’m also still a sucker for pumpkinator.

edit: to add that eureka’s mini boss is easily the best canned Houston IPA. it laps art car (same guy created both recipes).

Santo- dark kolsch

Weedwacker- hefe

Oktoberfest

Ale Wagger- brown ale

are all solid Saint A's offerings IMHO.  I'm never going to pick Weedwacker over Live Oak hefe, but that doesn't mean it sucks.

their IPA game is lacking, but 5 o’clock pilz and summer pils are great. i still enjoy spring bock and christmas ale, and the bishop’s barrel is as good a clean (non-funky) barrel aged program as any in Texas. i’m also still a sucker for pumpkinator.  
edit: to add that eureka’s mini boss is easily the best canned Houston IPA. it laps art car (same guy created both recipes).

Interesting to know on Mini Boss. For some reason I've never tried it. I'll pick some up.