Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

On the surface, it is a congratulatory and respectful shout-out of a well-earned championship for the Washington Mystics womens' basketball team. But the last sentence has a gentle reminder for those who are paying attention (to a different type of title). I miss 44.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Clarification

I do not know how any of our allies can believe a single thing we say about human rights and just basic human decency toward those who need our help after what the world has witnessed since January 2017 (I am just using that date as a starting point since it is when Dotard took control.).

We are openly acknowledging the massacre of the Kurds as no big deal with our silence. Every last one of you assholes who cheer this bastard on should feel some shame, but you don't because who gives a shit about a bunch of people half a world away. You worthless clowns don't even care about the refugees at our own southern border.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I do not know how any of our allies can believe a single thing we say about human rights and just basic human decency toward those who need our help after what the world has witnessed since January 2017 (I am just using that date as a starting point since it is when Dotard took control.).

We are openly acknowledging the massacre of the Kurds as no big deal with our silence. Every last one of you assholes who cheer this bastard on should feel some shame, but you don't because who gives a shit about a bunch of people half a world away. You worthless clowns don't even care about the refugees at our own southern border.

They’re brown people.  Moose out front should told you.

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Mattis is old school and won't talk about his old boss, Trump for now other than to warn that it will lead to a resurgence of ISIS (per The Guardian) but I bet he is really not happy about this.He met with the Kurdish leadership right after the President took office.

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Mattis is old school and won't talk about his old boss, Trump for now other than to warn that it will lead to a resurgence of ISIS (per The Guardian) but I bet he is really not happy about this.He met with the Kurdish leadership right after the President took office.

At a certain point there has to be something that triggers some kind of human emotion in them to just step up to the damn plate and tell the world that they do not agree with what he is doing and that it is not just wrong, but criminally and morally wrong. 

This old school way of thinking is ridiculous. Either you take a stand publicly with the platform afforded to you or you stay on the sidelines and nod in agreement with this shit. It is only a hard decision for those who have comfortable lives they do not want to see disrupted. No matter how much progress we make as humans we always have a willing flock of idiots who are okay with nightmare scenario type stuff because it benefits their team. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don’t buy the police state thing, but the first sentence accurately describes a lot of the US today.   

We never though it would be us because we never thought we would have people in charge that are this inherently evil. Not just bad people, but evil comic book villian level assholes. We have that in spades at the moment. Again we have had shitty human beings run this country before, but we crossed that red line that we did not think we would nor did the rest of the world see us doing it either. 

Edited by UpperWestside

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

At a certain point there has to be something that triggers some kind of human emotion in them to just step up to the damn plate and tell the world that they do not agree with what he is doing and that it is not just wrong, but criminally and morally wrong. 

This old school way of thinking is ridiculous. Either you take a stand publicly with the platform afforded to you or you stay on the sidelines and nod in agreement with this shit. It is only a hard decision for those who have comfortable lives they do not want to see disrupted. No matter how much progress we make as humans we always have a willing flock of idiots who are okay with nightmare scenario type stuff because it benefits their team. 

I watched Mattis on Meet the Press on Sunday, you can read him pretty well. I respect him as a career Marine and choosing to stay above the fray, as a military officer should is the right decision, frustrating as it may be. 

All that said, his body language, what he answered and the way he answered questions that he couldn't comment on left no doubt that he believes the President is unfit to hold office. While we all would like for him to come out and say that, his position really does impede him from doing so.

I know we all predicted the Trump presidency would be a train wreck and bring about the end of American democracy but I honestly didn’t think it would be THIS bad with the overt crimes and institutional failures. 

At least not this quickly. 

I find myself in awe of the Trump family’s dedication to do so much crime in such a short period of time.  I can barely do a handful of tasks on a good day and these guys somehow find the time to work in many felonies involving foreign governments and financial institutions on the reg. 

It’s almost impressive.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I watched Mattis on Meet the Press on Sunday, you can read him pretty well. I respect him as a career Marine and choosing to stay above the fray, as a military officer should is the right decision, frustrating as it may be. 

All that said, his body language, what he answered and the way he answered questions that he couldn't comment on left no doubt that he believes the President is unfit to hold office. While we all would like for him to come out and say that, his position really does impede him from doing so.

What current position prevents him from speaking his mind? 

1 minute ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I get all of that. I have no disrespect for Mattis and the 50 years of service he provided to our country.

At the end of the day it amounts to nothing when the country you served has abandoned whatever Democratic principles and ideals we once adhered to and embraced being a fascist state run by a grifting wanna be totalitarian POS. At that point something should awaken in any normal human being to say enough is enough. Mattis has a platform none of us have. I would like to believe that any of us here who oppose Dotard would do the right thing. Maybe we would or maybe we would remian quiet because tradition dictates it. I really hope Mattis uses his voice for the good of people around the world that we are shitting all over becaise Dotard is happy to acquiesce to despots everytime he gets a shiny new object put in from of him by someone like Erdogan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I get all of that. I have no disrespect for Mattis and the 50 years of service he provided to our country.

At the end of the day it amounts to nothing when the country you served has abandoned whatever Democratic principles and ideals we once adhered to and embraced being a fascist state run by a grifting wanna be totalitarian POS. At that point something should awaken in any normal human being to say enough is enough. Mattis has a platform none of us have. I would like to believe that any of us here who oppose Dotard would do the right thing. Maybe we would or maybe we would remian quiet because tradition dictates it. I really hope Mattis uses his voice for the good of people around the world that we are shitting all over becaise Dotard is happy to acquiesce to despots everytime he gets a shiny new object put in from of him by someone like Erdogan. 

I agree with all of that. I believe that door for Mattis still remains open to speak his mind, at this time he said he's confident that voters will step forth come 2020. We'll see if he changes his opinion between now and then and speaks his mind.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

On the surface, it is a congratulatory and respectful shout-out of a well-earned championship for the Washington Mystics womens' basketball team. But the last sentence has a gentle reminder for those who are paying attention (to a different type of title). I miss 44.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Washington Nationals, who are currently pushing the St. Louis Cardinals' collective stool in (much to my chagrin).

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Washington Nationals, who are currently pushing the St. Louis Cardinals' collective stool in (much to my chagrin).

Oh probably; it’s not like it could be the Redskins by any stretch of the imagination. But a gal can dream of a time not so long ago when we had a President smart enough to know how to throw shade without making it obvious.

32 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I find myself in awe of the Trump family’s dedication to do so much crime in such a short period of time.  I can barely do a handful of tasks on a good day and these guys somehow find the time to work in many felonies involving foreign governments and financial institutions on the reg. 

It’s almost impressive.

Nobody, but nobody, in this administration took a back seat to this guy.

Scott_Pruitt_EPA.0.jpg

I mean, even Dotard was like "Damn, hoss, slow down with the grift there." It got to the point where I was thinking he was some kind of Rain Man of corruption, like he was unable to function on any path other than the most corrupt one available to him in any situation. I am almost 50 years old and have been around corrupt politicians since before I can remember -- my brain sort of switched on with Watergate and SNL's parody of same. I attended grade school in Nashville with the son of TN governor Ray Blanton, who was booted out of office for selling pardons to the murdering sons of his political cronies.  (The son of the TN attorney general who took him down was also a student at that school -- awkward.) By the time Iran-Contra rolled around I was reading three newspapers daily and forming my own opinions about scandals, and there have been many more since then. And not a single grifter in any of those was as utterly brazen and shameless as our Okie friend Scott Pruitt. Not even Trump himself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Nah, ya know what, fuck Mattis.

We’ve been lied to about “the adults in the room” and their moderating effect on Trump.

They didn’t do anything to keep him in line. They just cleaned up after him when he threw his shit all over the place.

Then those few “adults in the room” tucked tail and abandoned ship.

At some point these old school “decorum and chain of command” is the most important thing have to say “ENOUGH!”.

All of Mattis’s years of service don’t mean shit to me if he continues to remain silent about the treason he was privy to.

At some point the greater good is more important than some outdated protocol.

Silent collaborators are just as much to blame and a uniform with a chest full of medals don’t absolve him.

Blah blah evil men triumphing blah blah good men remaining silent blah blah.

I was holding out hope that Mattis's resignation would be delivered in person and would involve his service revolver and two bullets.

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

I mean, even Dotard was like "Damn, hoss, slow down with the grift there." It got to the point where I was thinking he was some kind of Rain Man of corruption, like he was unable to function on any path other than the most corrupt one available to him in any situation. I am almost 50 years old and have been around corrupt politicians since before I can remember -- my brain sort of switched on with Watergate and SNL's parody of same. I attended grade school in Nashville with the son of TN governor Ray Blanton, who was booted out of office for selling pardons to the murdering sons of his political cronies.  (The son of the TN attorney general who took him down was also a student at that school -- awkward.) By the time Iran-Contra rolled around I was reading three newspapers daily and forming my own opinions about scandals, and there have been many more since then. And not a single grifter in any of those was as utterly brazen and shameless as our Okie friend Scott Pruitt. Not even Trump himself. 

But, his lapel pin?  He's a patriot!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Marines on here told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said similar things. 

He and a lot of other people could talk. But, he hasn't. At least not in front of a camera. Tillerson walked too. 

Standing down for what?

What did Mattis do that was honorable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I know we all predicted the Trump presidency would be a train wreck and bring about the end of American democracy but I honestly didn’t think it would be THIS bad with the overt crimes and institutional failures. 

At least not this quickly. 

It’s almost impressive.

In the range of possibilities, we are not even to the middle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Where is the line between “Police State” and “Not a Police State?”

Seems like we’re very much there on a few metrics like incarceration numbers, concentration camps, and prisons for profit. 

I mean, arming school teachers is now a legitimate debate. 

Arming school teachers is not a legitimate debate, and you of all people should know political clickbait when you see it - that was tossed out there by people who are trying to avoid a conversation on mass shootings.

I'll get into the incarceration stuff in another post, but suffice to say, the government does not have the manpower or legal power to pull off a traditional police state - otherwise Trump would be doing more than whining on twitter about media outlets and journalists he doesn't like.

2 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Mattis is retired, right? So I don't buy the "staying above the fray" stuff.

He needs to grow a backbone and do the right thing. Like in speaking out. 

But what am I missing? What position does he have? He doesn't have one, does he?

3 hours ago, RPM said:

We have more people in prison than any other country on Earth. Guess that means we are the worst people on the planet or we have a police state. I vote the latter.

I would go with worst people on the planet.  The people you are talking about are not in prison for crimes against the state, they are in prison for personal and property crimes - murder, theft, drugs, drunk driving, assault, the War on Drugs in general, etc., etc.  If you want to consider some guy beating the shit out of some other guy in a parking lot a crime against the state, then we need to define what the state actually is.

And here's the thing - we the people, as voters, can even influence the number of people incarcerated.  We have states/locales that are starting to change up what is and isn't criminalized/worthy of prison time - states that are legalizing weed, expunging records, etc.

And, as I said, Donald Trump cannot order NY Times journalists to be rounded up and the Times shut down, he can't have Jeff Bezos arrested (unlike Putin), etc. All he can do is mock and whine the people he doesn't like.

I'm biased though - I've got some good friends who grew up in East Germany, and we are nowhere close to that.

Anyone else think it was odd that Pence delivered press conference on the Turkish sanctions? Like Trump may be too unstable for the cameras right now? It’s not like Pence has been front and center in this administration much.

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Marines on here told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said similar things. 

He and a lot of other people could talk. But, he hasn't. At least not in front of a camera. Tillerson walked too. 

Standing down for what?

What did Mattis do that was honorable?

The over the top reverence for military personnel as if they were infallible deities is very prevalent in the USA. It's part of the jingoistic fake patriotism culture Americans have cultivated as a way to stomach the absolute evil garbage their country is becoming. Self preserving avoidance of cognitive dissonance and all that. 

Everyone who was in that administration is complicit. They could have worked together to out the pure evil incompetence of trump and stop this before it got rolling but they didn't because deep down they're either profiting from it or cowards. 

• Like 6