Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

7 hours ago, UncleCharlie said:

How has Steve Bannon gotten away from all of this scott free?

Leaving the country for a while may have helped. For awhile he was holed up in Europe, but they don't seem smitten with him, so he has been dipping his toes in the water back here and giving interviews. With the release of more documents in which he is named, and the documentary, "American Dharma," Bannon may be trying for damage control? I don't know that he will face any censure/penalties for his part in this, though.

Has this been discussed and I missed it? (Credit to reporter Zanona from Politico.)

Poor Trump. Would Melania's son cry for him then?

The President heads back to the WH today after attending the MMA event. Boos or cheers, it all depends upon how you spin it and how much it gets magnified throughout the World Wide Web. Who will win the Internet this round?

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The dumbass needs a roaring crowd after he was embarrassed in DC.  Getting warmer you fat fuck...Why hasn't anyone directed his ass to the Nascar race at TMS this weekend?  That's a home run for this son of a bitch. 

Nascar has lost its fastball, and attendance is dwindling.  Hell, there might as been as many people at MSG as there was at the spring Bristol race:

Screen-Shot-2019-04-08-at-12.46.22-PM-75

Not sure when this pic was taken at Texas, but it's like this at every track Nascar visits now.  Most venues have been removing seats for years now:

TexasMotorSpeedway_2019_magazine_2.jpg?i

The 2018 Indy Nascar race.  You can go on and on with pics like these. 

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

Edit.  One more example of the Spring Bristol race (capacity somewhere around 150,000):

wxigmuoroyq21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Eh, that's actually a pretty funny joke.

Sure, delivered in the context of a roast (which is the case here) it is. Or said by Ralph Kramden. It falls a little flat though, when he doesn't seem to have much of a relationship at all with his spouse. Maybe that could be said for many in the GOP higher echelons. Or politics in general. Hard to know. So much of what we view is filtered before it even passes through our own biases.

Jesus is the son of God. 
No he isn’t.  He broke the law when he was 16. 
Ah, but you see, a judge found he met the elements of his affirmative defense.  Thus he is God again. 
Good point.  Thank goodness his lawyer was competent enough that he was able to keep his God title. 
44177e92f4b747f95e6d7b7262e6208a.jpg

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Nascar has lost its fastball, and attendance is dwindling.  Hell, there might as been as many people at MSG as there was at the spring Bristol race:

Not sure when this pic was taken at Texas, but it's like this at every track Nascar visits now.  Most venues have been removing seats for years now:

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

Edit.  One more example of the Spring Bristol race (capacity somewhere around 150,000):

Who knew watching grown men drive around in a circle while generating unbearable noise pollution wouldn’t be more popular? 

Screen-Shot-2019-04-08-at-12.46.22-PM-752x440.png

TexasMotorSpeedway_2019_magazine_2.jpg?itok=nWAs4KP1

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

wxigmuoroyq21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=96878bc632c929665c1dd2bd564280488ee4794b

Why is this happening?
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is this happening?

I’m sure it’s many factors but I would have to think that even with record low unemployment and a sky high stock market, the shrinking middle class has less money to spend on weekend trips to nascar.  Events that count on >100k fans most likely face this problem first. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I want to hear "he's not being impeached over 'a call'. He's being impeached for numerous abuse of power, obstruction of justice, and emoluments clause violations. Also bribery and extortion. Maybe some treason, if repeatedly siding with Putin over America qualifies as treason. Basically for running a criminal enterprise in the white house, and selling out our country for his personal gain. 'The call' is one tiny part of all of that."

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I want to hear "he's not being impeached over 'a call'. He's being impeached for numerous abuse of power, obstruction of justice, and emoluments clause violations. Also bribery and extortion. Maybe some treason, if repeatedly siding with Putin over America qualifies as treason. Basically for running a criminal enterprise in the white house, and selling out our country for his personal gain. 'The call' is one tiny part of all of that."

You are correct. Without a doubt. But IMO there are around (estimating) fifty plus words in your reasoning and you only have seconds with which to make more than a blip in people's brains. Distill, distill, distill. When I pass by the young mom in aisle 5 who is patiently explaining to her 3 year old why he/she cannot have 'X' because of 'blah, blah, blah,' I am rueful. Been there, it doesn't stick. (save a rationale for older children).

Find something short and sweet that sticks. #AOP abuse of power. Play to Pay. Above the law. Some phrase or catchword that people can pass along (like they did with MoscowMitch). It sounds stupid because it is, even if many many voters aren't. The evidence is there and many Americans are paying attention but something (a buzzword, etc) needs to stick to him or he will be Teflon Don.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

"He's not being impeached about his marital infidelity, he's being impeached because he lied about it and covered it up."

It's clearer and clearer that this conspiracy extends back to Flynn and Manafort long before Trump took office. Throw in Jared's back channels, emerging stories about withholding Javelin missiles (Maddow on Friday showed tape of a congressman pointing to this) to halt the investigation in Ukraine that would have destroyed Manafort and involves $2b in corruption, Giulianni's involvement in that earlier manipulation and ongoing back channel relations with Ukraine, and how that changed  when the old corrupt president of Ukraine was defeated by Selensky and Trump's call was about trying to keep the same game going; it all adds up to a devastating story of corruption top to bottom between the White House and Ukraine that ends with the famed call.

As the story emerges, I don't think that the GOPs or Trump will be able to guide the narrative anymore. It's just too big.This is the biggest scandal in American history. Most of our big scandals are at least kept within the borders. This is conspiracy with foreign elements which, if they can positively link Russia as well, could include actual enemies of the US as they act against the US.

The GOPs are already reduced to absurd theater in their last ditch to try to survive. Impeachment is unconstitutional! We're not allowed to go to the hearings that we're allowed to go to! Look only at the abridged "transcript" there is nothing else to see!

The desperation will be enough to hold on to the GOPs that wear their team's jerseys to weddings, the office, and funerals. It won't be enough to prevent 60% of the people to turn angrily against them. 

The big question then will be whither the Trumpists? Oblivion or back with vengeance? 

People on Brisket's ledge are dying to know. Me, too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is this happening?

There's no one single reason; but those crowds are never going to come back.

NASCAR is much like the modern day GOP.  They don't feel like they need to make any changes, because what they have is working, in spite of the rest of the world changing around them on a daily basis.  Of course, Nascar has made some changes with their rules and scheduling, but they have turned off the very fan base they need to survive.  Once the current TV contracts expire in 2024 I suspect things will really be different.  

Not wanting to derail the thread any more than I have, but ChiTown's comment of having the president attend a Nascar race I wanted to point out this isn't the NASCAR of 10 years ago.  He would be welcomed, but the optics of a President attending an event with a seating capacity of 120K and maybe a quarter of that in attendance would be stark.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tchookem said:
1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Why is this happening?

All the NASCAR fans are too busy MAGAing by working one of their 3 jobs.

I wonder if part of NASCAR's loss of interest is similar to what I suppose has happened to tennis. The great personalities have been replaced by boring technicians.

A bit of Roma snobbery: I was amused when the newspaper sports sections started regular columns about NASCAR due to the sport's popularity.  Yea, those people read the newspaper everyday to check their investments and keep up with developments in the Middle East.

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

960x0.jpg%3Ffit=scale

People don't go to watch the race, they go to watch the crashes. Due to improved safety designs, crashes are down. Ergo, popularity is down.

I'd like to take a bow for bringing Nascar into the Trump thread.  Never have two things belonged together quite like Nascartards and Trumptards.  The Venn diagram must be a perfect circle.  In 2000 years they'll visit the Roman Colosseum then Daytona.  The alien overlords will wonder how we got so much dumber 'evolving' over 2000 years to get from watching bull fighting to driving in circles. 

Are you not entertained?!  No, no I'm not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, sachick said:

They’re spending their NASCAR money going to Trump rallies.

Speaking of rallies- one tomorrow evening in Kentucky.

Kentucky! Home of Wildcats, race horses, bourbon and MoscowMitch (aka the Nabob of Negativity for being the Nyet Master when it comes to the Senate.)

7 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Super close to getting a retweet from him

That would be amusing. I checked out the guy's account after you posted that. Mostly sports and very little pol stuff (wished HC a happy birthday) but he tweeted that this was a new account (from May of this year). And then there was this gem:

And you know what? He's right about that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The decline of NASCAR is due to a number of factors, many of which have been addressed already. But the cars aren't "safer" as someone mentioned, so much as they have become a lot easier to drive. Less horsepower, more grip/downforce, and an increasing involvement of aerodynamics has made the racing less exciting. Same goes for the frequency of races at 1.5 mile "cookie cutter" tracks where the racing tends to be boring (and which NASCAR generally has an ownership/partnership interest in) and the fact even most of the drivers who do have an actual personality are discouraged from displaying any of it that might upset their precious sponsors. It's a complex, multivariate problem for the sport, and the sport's ruling family has been ill equipped to make proactive decisions for a decade or more after the founder died. 

As a NASCAR fan that would lustily boo Trump until hoarse if ever given the opportunity, I can say that while the crowd as a whole is every bit as Deplorable as you might imagine, it's not a perfect Venn diagram of despicability and ignorance as some have assumed. I'm in a fantasy league (going strong for more than a decade now) with three lawyers (including one at a BigLaw white shoe firm), two PhDs, a consultant of some sort with multiple postgraduate degrees, a small business owner, a radiologist, a "government analyst" that hasn't been clear with any of us about his job duties for 15+ years, among a few other reasonably intelligent people. The only Trumper in the group is a middle manager of a large engineering firm, and he's an incurable redneck at heart - the rest of us would definitely boo. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
Typo
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

is it weird that i had no idea nascar had seen a dip in interest/attendance?

I was vaguely aware that there had been a drop.  I didn't realize at all how severe it was, and I certainly didn't know the causes.

So yeah--I share your feeling on that.  Nascar is so out-of-mind for me that I didn't realize it was increasingly out-of-mind for a lot of other people, too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I was vaguely aware that there had been a drop.  I didn't realize at all how severe it was, and I certainly didn't know the causes.

So yeah--I share your feeling on that.  Nascar is so out-of-mind for me that I didn't realize it was increasingly out-of-mind for a lot of other people, too.

i was out on a bus tour about 12 years ago, and met it after it had been out for a few weeks.  when i got there, the driver was like-

him - i hear you like football.

me - i do, what's up?

him - i like nascar.

me - is that the one where the cars go around in circles making only left turns?

at this point, he wanted to rip out my arteries.  we basically made a deal that i would get him somewhere every sunday to watch nascar (somewhere he could drink and leave the bus until monday) and he would make sure any saturday or sunday i wanted to watch football, he would get us wherever in time to watch, or at least make sure the satellite was unblocked and functional.  we got along fine after that understanding.  but he treated every sunday race like the superbowl.  it was odd.

Same here. Watching the TMS on tv. Never thought it would be that empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk