Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

42 minutes ago, Chooky said:

It doesn't even have to be caustic or antagonistic or pushy.  The threat of being removed from the pool is no excuse.  In fact, it'd be in their favor if the White House continued to remove reporters for simple truth.  Let them do that.  Then hire another sackless putz and force that asshole to politely demand the same truth.  The current feckless cowardice being displayed by the press when they're standing in front of Trump isn't on Trump or his cabinet.  That's on corporate media.  There's no excuse for their inability to maintain focus.  There's no threat.  Force the White House to remove them in droves.  

I don't necessarily disagree with the approach, but it's important to at least recognize that he'll stop banning individuals and start banning networks.  (Hell, he's already done that, at times.)

A given network won't be able to "hire another sackless putz".  That person won't get access.

I'm not defending the press here, by the way, I'm just trying to acknowledge the truth about Trump's war on the press.  Aside from the fact that it is an assault on his Oath as well as the Constitution, writ very large, it is another example of what happens when a somewhat tenuous treaty between disparate parties falls apart because one party finally decides all they have to do is no longer play by previously accepted rules.  This is, by definition, the end of Democracy.  He is assaulting the 1st Amendment, and the press literally has no power to fight back, because that power was always and only granted by the good will of all involved.  There is no good will any more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

but it's important to at least recognize that he'll stop banning individuals and start banning networks. 

That would be ideal.  Do that.  Do that until it's just Fox News, Breitbart and InfoWars.  The optics of the other networks gathered in front of the fence on Pennsylvania Ave with tourists walking around them would be glorious.  Again, there's no excuse and there's no legitimate threat for these people to fail so hard.  I don't understand the internal impulse to provide cover and excuses for the kind of mediocrity displayed this morning. 

And it all begins with the same bullshit:  "Well, in fairness to ... Well, we have to at least recognize ... Well, the problem is that Trump will ... .  Stop carrying water these lackeys.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chooky said:

That would be ideal.  Do that.  Do that until it's just Fox News, Breitbart and InfoWars.  The optics of the other networks gathered in front of the fence on Pennsylvania Ave with tourists walking around them would be glorious.  Again, there's no excuse and there's no legitimate threat for these people to fail so hard.  I don't understand the internal impulse to provide cover and excuses for the kind of mediocrity displayed this morning. 

And it all begins with the same bullshit:  "Well, in fairness to ... Well, we have to at least recognize ... Well, the problem is that Trump will ... .  Stop carrying water these lackeys.  

I'm not providing cover for anyone.  I'm recognizing the reality of it all.  You apparently didn't even read the bulk of my post.

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

The media's, presumably. 

LOL, I don't think so.  I guess if that was his point, then yes, I misinterpreted his post.  I assumed he was referring to surly posters (and others) who he considers to be giving the media a pass on this.

Just now, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Has anybody asked Lindsey Graham "Senator, in 2016 you said that the President was 'not fit to be President of the United States"  and "Any doubt left Trump is completely unhinged?'  What has he done since then to make you change your mind about him?"

Whenever anyone throws those quotes back at Graham, he's acts indignant. Then he ultimately refuses to address any real Trump issue, and will not listen to facts thrown at him. While I don't feel sorry for any of them, the GOP is screwed at the moment with Trump. They're stuck and have to see this movie until the end.  

Before they knew it, the GOP had their base shifted to a new demographic. Now they're all afraid that if they stand for law or reason (aka anti-Trump) there is a good chance their individual base is close to zero. Their plan is to wait Trump out, and then attempt to shift the GOP back. 

27 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Has anybody asked Lindsey Graham "Senator, in 2016 you said that the President was 'not fit to be President of the United States"  and "Any doubt left Trump is completely unhinged?'  What has he done since then to make you change your mind about him?"

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Mulvaney, Giuliani, etc are dipshits,  they’d probably go down with the ship like fools.

Perry is a survivor. He’s not gonna drown for Trump if it comes to that. 

Mulvaney is 52 and ambitious.  Like Perry, he ain’t going down on the SS Trumptanic.  Like Perry, he didn’t really need Trump.  Like Perry, he probably saw it as a stepping stone to something else.  And, like Perry, he probably has done some stupid shit, but he’s not going to end his career now    

But Rudy.   Rudy needed and used all of the connections and access to power that Trump gave him.   And it shows.   

Russia probably showed him the pictures they have on him is my assumption
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Updawg said:
54 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Russia probably showed him the pictures they have on him is my assumption

Or Trump said to Lindsey "My Russian friends said they have some photos of you that you might be interested in keeping off the internet"   and Lindsey's imagination went into overdrive. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not providing cover for anyone.  I'm recognizing the reality of it all.  You apparently didn't even read the bulk of my post.

I read your entire post and I agree and I think we're saying the same thing.  In general, on this board and everywhere, there's a tendency to state the reasons why the press has to be careful with Trump.  Any critique of them is inevitably met with the various reasons why Donald Trump can't be treated with the same scrutiny that other presidents who aren't ignorant lumps of shit.  And I do believe there's some validity to those reasons and the reasons posted earlier in this thread. 

None of the reporters in that pool got there without understanding decorum and professionalism.  Getting booted or suspended is a gold mine for the individual reporter and a wave of support for the network.  There are no consequences for being firm, strident or persistent.  And I don't believe that the reporters are being pressured by their networks to slow pitch or to soft handle the president.  I think they follow him when he shifts the terms instead of simply forcing him to evade the same question twice.  I think, individually, they're doing a poor job. 

I'll even provide another excuse for them.  These are intentionally poor settings for question and answer.  That's by design -- always next to a helicopter.  That's the David Gergen strategy used by Reagan.  Always be moving and on the way to somewhere else or just ignore the question and answer what you want. 

And getting chosen for a question is like becoming a contestant on 'The Price is Right.'  Preparation and solidarity in following up on each other's question would go a long way.  They're collectively doing a shitty job as the Fourth Branch.  If Trump wants to avoid a question he'll just start speaking erroneously on another topic and the next question will always be a distracted attempt to corral him on the other incorrect statement.  And that's all it takes.  The former question is gone in the ether and the four other valid questions that we know he can't explain just simply aren't ever asked.   

17 hours ago, Message Board User said:

They know he's in deep shit.

Every new revelation about Trump and the GOPs is an answer to the question, "How would a criminal organization try to survive being caught in widespread crimes?"

Now sacrifice a few capi to save the capo di tutti capi and the rest of the syndicate. I'll be shocked is members in this league of greed and self-interest will be very willing to fall on their swords for the Donald J. Trump family. What would they have to be promised in return? Pardons? Money? The lives of their families?

These rotten fucks won't scruple at stealing the 2020 election at many levels even if they risk massive civil unrest. They have a lot to lose.

The iron cage requires another enlargement. We may need a bigger boat, too, to carry it to the North Atlantic in winter.

Let 'em enjoy the ride on this baby:

Trump  "stumbles, slurs, gets confused, is easily irritated, and has trouble synthesizing information, not occasionally but with regularity. Those who would claim otherwise are lying to themselves or to the country.” 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-slurring-stumble-white-house-anonymous-official-warning-book-a9194481.html

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Trump  "stumbles, slurs, gets confused, is easily irritated, and has trouble synthesizing information, not occasionally but with regularity. Those who would claim otherwise are lying to themselves or to the country.” 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-slurring-stumble-white-house-anonymous-official-warning-book-a9194481.html

Yeah right, I'll believe that when I see it with my own two eyes...oh, wait...

10 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

9 hours ago, Chooky said:

How much more white could they be?  The answer is none.  None more white.

Given what I think I know about the Surly demographic -- and mindset -- I'm kind of amazed there haven't been any comments regarding that woman's attire as it relates to one very specific black stereotype that's portrayed in certain films within a specific period genre.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Or Trump said to Lindsey "My Russian friends said they have some photos of you that you might be interested in keeping off the internet"   and Lindsey's imagination went into overdrive. 

so the rumors of he and Palin tag-teaming Glen Rice are true?

7 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Given what I think I know about the Surly demographic -- and mindset -- I'm kind of amazed there haven't been any comments regarding that woman's attire as it relates to one very specific black stereotype that's portrayed in certain films within a specific period genre.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

“Donald Trump is doing a great job.”

-Johnny Sack and all Republicans