Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

I feel sorry for anyone whose parents have turned towards Fox & Trump.  My parents are dead, but they were "compassionate conservatives" when I was young, yet eventually moved left on the political spectrum.  Developing a very close relationship with a gay NYC actor they housed one summer and who eventually died of AIDS affected them profoundly.

That said, you don't choose your parents, and love is blind.  I don't think I would ever be able to completely shun family members.  It would be difficult to navigate those waters, though, no doubt.

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive link detailing Trump's alleged violations of US law?  I've been challenged by a Trumpkin to "name one law he has broken".  I'm aware that this will obviously lead to "but he hasn't been convicted".  I still need to review the master list to make the best case.

My general fatigue over emoluments violations, election code violations, and obstruction of justice clouds my mind.

Edited by jimmyjazz

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive link detailing Trump's alleged violations of US law?  I've been challenged by a Trumpkin to "name one law he has broken".  I'm aware that this will obviously lead to "but he hasn't been convicted".  I still need to review the master list to make the best case.

My general fatigue over emoluments violations, election code violations, and obstruction of justice clouds my mind.

Might be easier to make a list of laws he HASN'T broken.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

In seriousness, I would say it's not for you to decide, that's why they have the House inquiry.  I'm not a lawyer or affiliated with the law in anyway, but my understanding is that the Impeachment Inquiry is akin to a Grand Jury hearing.  The prosecution lays out their case and then they vote on whether there is enough there to proceed to trial.  In this case the trial phase is conducted by the Senate.

The argument that the *president is being denied due process is a flat out lie, but we shouldn't expect any less from the GOP and Fox.

Edited by DixonHur

41 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have been lax in bookmarking sites, but for Russia/Ukraine stuff, The Moscow Project has a lot of material. If you go the the very beginning of their timeline, it is rather startling, but if you want to focus on the more recent stuff then scroll back to July of this year.  Simply click on an item of interest.  https://themoscowproject.org/collusion-timeline

Citizens for Ethics has material too. https://www.citizensforethics.org/

I'm sure others here have better sources, but those are two that I've been to recently.

I have caught the family cold and am going to go put the hearings on television so that my fever dreams will be especially vivid and conspiracy laced. Before I go crash, however, a reminder that today the President will be hosting Erdogan from Turkey in the WH for most of the day.

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You could start with the Ten Commandments. He's broken most of those. 

He's "Individual 1" in the Michael Cohen case, an unindicted co-conspirator in felony campaign finance violations. If he wasn't the president, he'd be in jail along with Cohen. That should be an easy statute to look up. 

What Trump did to Zelensky was extortion, pure and simple. I don't need to know the statute to know that's a crime. I don't know the statute prohibiting murder, either. 

I bookmarked this recently: U.S. Code § 30121. Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/30121

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

In seriousness, I would say it's not for you to decide, that's why they have the House inquiry.

Your point, while valid, is not what I'm looking for.  I would hope some news outlet has attempted to create a master list of potential legal and ethical violations.  I'm tired of googling specific instances.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your point, while valid, is not what I'm looking for.  I would hope some news outlet has attempted to create a master list of potential legal and ethical violations.  I'm tired of googling specific instances.

Yeah, I know.  My point is that no matter the amount of facts you present, it won't matter, so why create more stress for your self?  Sometimes a punt is the best play.

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, I know.  My point is that no matter the amount of facts you present, it won't matter, so why create more stress for your self?  Sometimes a punt is the best play.

I'm up for the stress.  This guy is a mega-shithead and I love to watch him squirm.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Try  www.dcreport.org .

They have an article almost daily on policy issues and a good archive of individual articles that tend to go to great lengths in their explanation of illegality. 

There is no shortage of violations, so many in fact that we tend to forget about them for the violation de jour.

25 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Thankfully my parents are hardcore libs so we don’t have any problems like this. Now work is a different deal all together.

There’s a group of us that meet up for lunch once a week and most of them are olds within a year or two of retirement.  A couple of weeks ago when we were out, AOC popped up on the restaurant TV. One of these dudes literally started shaking and had spittle flying out of his mouth. It was like he became possessed and was pretty unnerving. 

My Cousin's Father in Law is that way about Maxine Waters.  He was ranting one night after some beers and I finally put my hand on his shoulder and looked him straight in the eye and said "Why do you care so much about the duly elected representative from the 43rd Congressional District of California? She has every right to speak her mind and act on behalf her constituents.  Just like Louie Gohmert, who I happen to think is an idiot, but has every right to represent East Texas the way he does."

He sat there quietly for a bit and finally grumbled I guess so. But I suspect that hasn't held.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

You know, you’re right.

I was feebly attempting to keep a level head and not get into an incoherent yelling match and try to be respectful even though I wasn’t getting it in return.

But it didn’t really matter.

It’s the sad reality that his fealty to evil is more important to him than his relationship with his family.

And it all blew up because I made a joke at Trump’s expense - I didn’t even bring the real heat about the racism and child imprisonments and criminality etc.

A fucking joke about an ultimately meaningless football game.

And, yeah, I’m sad my relationship with my dad may be damaged but I’m proud for saying “No more”. The state of this country right now is dangerous and staying quiet about it - even for family peace - is enabling it.

The dad I used to have would have been proud of me for standing up for what’s right.

And thank god for my mom.

Ugh, I know this isn’t my personal blog so sorry for unloading here. I appreciate y’all.

i'm getting to the point where i think that unreasonable people should be treated unreasonably. i know it isn't rational. 

my sympathies with you, but major kudos for standing your ground. you're a grown ass woman with actual opinions, and good for you not letting your father steamroll you with his patriarchy bullshit.

i'm losing my mother to dementia currently, and i'm at a loss as to how to handle it. as a result, i ignore any sort of political take, but it's so strange to me that republicanism (for lack of a better term) is so attractive to people who are losing their minds.

i mean, i also look at my fairly well put together father in law, with whom i have an agreement to not talk politics, because he's a hardline republican trump supporter. i do not think he's losing his mind, but he's an older man of the boomer generation. he's a successful man, who has done a very good job managing his money. yet, he's a hardline trump supporter, and i simply do not get it. we had to have a dinner about our differences and just agree to disagree because he spouts the most trumpish bullshit. i'm neutral on my feelings for this man, because he's done some shit to my wife's family, but i fundamentally think he's trying to be a good person. i just can't figure it.

and then i have another father figure in my life who is also a boomer, and he's also irrationally a trump supporter. him, i cannot at all engage, because i love him too much, but i simply do not get the mentality. he's also an extremely successful person who is good with money and all that. 

how on earth can these people look at this administration and say "yeah, that's my guy."

i just can't figure it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Those present said that at that point, the audience appeared shocked.

Shocked I tell you. Shocked.

What, they been living in a fucking cave the last four years? This occurred at a "Morgan Stanley global investment event". These are supposed to be educated, smart people. And they are shocked, shocked!, that DOTARD and his family of retards are using foreign policy for personal financial gain.

Guillotines. Every fucking one of them.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Talking politics with family shouldn’t be at the level of a message board where we can call out strangers for being stupid or whatever.

If a family members start calling out librul commies or far right nazis, steer the conversation back to an issue and not name calling. You can’t force them to act mature but you can try.

and when the comments are outrageous like lining up people to be shot, ask them calmly if they really want to see friends and family members killed for their beliefs? Or is that what America is about.

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You could start with the Ten Commandments. He's broken most of those. 

My parents and their generation are Vietnam-era, and almost all of the men served/were drafted.  Quite a few are Trumpkins, and they consider themselves to be Christians.  I've also got a batshit Qanon sister-in-law pushing 40, who has never contributed to society in her life as far as I can tell (still mostly living off of dad and step-mom), and she loves Trump.

My wife and I tend to catch some good-natured ribbing from my family in North Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas at reunions/holiday gatherings.  We hear the jokes about People's Republic of Austin, etc.  What my wife (much more religious than I am) tend to do is....probably a form of trolling, but when some Trumpkin relative starts to loosen their tongue about Trump and toss a few comments our way, we respond with:

"No, we don't like Trump, and here's why:  We are Christians.  Trump openly believes he does not need to ask for forgiveness, and even brags about it.  Trump has committed adultery openly, multiple times, and has three wives, has paid off adult actresses, would rather play golf and than attend church, can't quote simple scripture, disrespected women while his wife was pregnant, dodged the Vietnam draft multiple times, and mocked those who served and were captured, openly lies, he would deny shelter to Christians from other countries who need our help, and he has taken the Lord's name in vain several times, including at public rallies where children were present."  We may even toss in a "He is exactly what you all think of New Yorkers!"

My wife and I are not Bible-thumpers, but our relatives know little about that side of us. What usually happens is the topic gets changed, because the alternative is they find themselves attacking us for being Christian.  If they want to go down that road, my wife is more than happy to point out those who considers themselves Christians, but who aren't living the lifestyle, and both of us would point out that we want our kids to be raised with a moral compass, and that Trump does not provide that."

And the conversation can sometimes go down the "no true Scotsman" road, which is fine.

The point is, don't get too high level, and toss out the very simple things that can't be refuted - his language, his adultery/marital history, etc., and if your audience considers themselves to be good Christians, throw it in their face by pointing out that they are supporting somebody who all but openly mocks their beliefs.

edit: My wife and I are pretty liberal these days on a lot of things, and our relatives know it, but they also know I volunteered and then worked on one of George W's gubernatorial campaigns, and his presidential campaign in 2000.  They also know I served in the Army, and am pretty supportive of the older vets in our family.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i'm getting to the point where i think that unreasonable people should be treated unreasonably. i know it isn't rational. 

my sympathies with you, but major kudos for standing your ground. you're a grown ass woman with actual opinions, and good for you not letting your father steamroll you with his patriarchy bullshit.

i'm losing my mother to dementia currently, and i'm at a loss as to how to handle it. as a result, i ignore any sort of political take, but it's so strange to me that republicanism (for lack of a better term) is so attractive to people who are losing their minds.

i mean, i also look at my fairly well put together father in law, with whom i have an agreement to not talk politics, because he's a hardline republican trump supporter. i do not think he's losing his mind, but he's an older man of the boomer generation. he's a successful man, who has done a very good job managing his money. yet, he's a hardline trump supporter, and i simply do not get it. we had to have a dinner about our differences and just agree to disagree because he spouts the most trumpish bullshit. i'm neutral on my feelings for this man, because he's done some shit to my wife's family, but i fundamentally think he's trying to be a good person. i just can't figure it.

and then i have another father figure in my life who is also a boomer, and he's also irrationally a trump supporter. him, i cannot at all engage, because i love him too much, but i simply do not get the mentality. he's also an extremely successful person who is good with money and all that. 

how on earth can these people look at this administration and say "yeah, that's my guy."

i just can't figure it.

I think for folks like them who have made their money, that Fox's message of fear resonates. Fear the left because, they will take away what you have and redistribute it. Fear the brown people because they will replace you. Fear the other and you are smart for seeing this and getting ready to fight against it. 

We don't have a common purpose like the space race or ensuring we create smart, well educated kids. So we are bereft of a purpose so this gets filled by self interest and protecting your own, even at the expense of others. And Fox tells you that it is OK because you worked hard and so fuck the weak and the newly arrived. Go ahead and close the door because the country is full. Isn't  that what Trump said one time? The country is full.

Fuck, we have a lot of work to do to clean up the crazy notions and the dark forces that are feeding this drivel and appealing to our lizard brains.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

I think for folks like them who have made their money, that Fox's message of fear resonates. Fear the left because, they will take away what you have and redistribute it. Fear the brown people because they will replace you. Fear the other and you are smart for seeing this and getting ready to fight against it. 

We don't have a common purpose like the space race or ensuring we create smart, well educated kids. So we are bereft of a purpose so this gets filled by self interest and protecting your own, even at the expense of others. And Fox tells you that it is OK because you worked hard and so fuck the weak and the newly arrived. Go ahead and close the door because the country is full. Isn't  that what Trump said one time? The country is full.

Fuck, we have a lot of work to do to clean up the crazy notions and the dark forces that are feeding this drivel and appealing to our lizard brains.

tl/dr  Nazis playbook

28 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

This and a lot of people who have made their money consider themselves rich, but do not truly comprehend that they are they are being played by the really rich.

These guys also have a hard time telling the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

The old are especially vulnerable to this replacement message.  The truth is, is that they are being replaced, but that is just part of getting old and being part of a society that is moving at a faster pace than when they were young coupled with the fact that they are moving slower while everything else is moving faster.  They feel it more than the rest of us and lash out at parties that are not responsible.

• Like 3

A White House staffer contributing white supremacist literature to a bunch of deranged skinhead sites would've been a pretty big deal like four years ago.  When Stephen Miller leaves the cabinet he'll be an icon for a cadre of dead-eyed fucks who can't stop whining about how hard it is to be white in America.  Miller will flourish in our new Monster Truckocracy.

38 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Agreed.

I gave up looking for the study pretty easily, but I recall reading a very persuasive and well-researched academic article/study that untangled the base motivations of people in both political parties. Basically, it argued/found that people with Republican/conservative attitudes (particularly those drawn to the current Trumpian variant) supported policies rooted in and motivated by fear. Conversely, it found that people with Democrat/liberal attitudes supported policies rooted in and motivated by anger. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/ahead-trump-meeting-erdogan-threatens-buy-russian-jets-n1080721

As Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan prepares for Wednesday's White House meeting with President Donald Trump, he's threatening to further inflame tensions between Washington and Ankara by purchasing Russian military fighter jets, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.

Discussions about Turkey purchasing the fighter jets were advanced during a meeting between Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin two weeks ago in Sochi, these people said. The Trump administration banned the sale of U.S.-made F-35 jets to Turkey in response to Erdogan’s purchase of a Russian missile defense system.

We have a Cuckold-in-Chief.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Seems kinda peculiar that literally every foreign policy action Trump has taken benefits Turkey, Saudi and Russia and is a literal detriment to the USA.

• Like 1

Have the same issue with brainwashed by fox parents. Last year my sister got them a subscription to USA Today - being olds they like having a paper delivered and would have never read news on a computer.  Say what you will about USA Today, but its brought in a different perspective and they have really eased up on the trumpiness.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

We may even toss in a "He is exactly what you all think of New Yorkers!"

Even this is bullshit.

I've only been to New York city three times, but I've found New Yorkers to be no more or less nice, polite, and helpful than people is Austin, Dallas, or any small town. And they certainly are less judgemental.

At the worst they are a little pushy getting on or off the subway.

(Not picking on you Atom, just making an observation about what a lot of people (incorrectly imo) think of New Yorkers.

1 minute ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Even this is bullshit.

I've only been to New York city three times, but I've found New Yorkers to be no more or less nice, polite, and helpful than people is Austin, Dallas, or any small town. And they certainly are less judgemental.

At the worst they are a little pushy getting on or off the subway.

(Not picking on you Atom, just making an observation about what a lot of people (incorrectly imo) think of New Yorkers.

The stereotype of loud asshole New Yorkers is what Philadelphia is actually like. New Yorkers are decent enough.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

The stereotype of loud asshole New Yorkers is what Philadelphia is actually like. New Yorkers are decent enough.

Truest statement ever written on the net. New Yorkers may be loud and obnoxious but they’re actually overall pretty friendly. 

“People” from Philly on the other hand...

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Off the top of my head and in no particular order and I'm sure I'm forgetting hundreds thousands:

3.  Extortion/bribery of Ukranian president

This is the one I would focus on.  Bribery is specifically referenced in the Constitution, so you don't really need to cite a regulation.  I'd say it stands on its own as a common language understanding.  Otherwise Congress would be able to effectively modify the Constitution through legislation.  

But you may need to walk them through it with an analogy.  I'd go with this:  when a health inspector visits a restaurant, he has the power to give them citations or give them a clean rating.  But that power is incumbent making the decision based on the objective laws, not what the restaurant can do for them personally.  If the owner said "I really need to get a clean rating on this" and the inspector replied "ok, but I need you to do me a favor first" that would be a really good indication that he is extorting a bribe.  It doesn't have to be cash.  Likewise, the President was given the task to provide military aid to Ukraine.  This was something directed by Congress.  It was his duty to provide it, and he can't condition the fulfillment of his duties on a favor which would benefit him personally. So, if it can be established that he predicated the fulfillment of his duties on the Ukrainian President giving him a favor, it's bribery, and the Constitution dictates he should be removed.  It may be argued that it hasn't been completely established he did so, but that is the point of the hearings and the eventual trial.  Clearly it is regarding an impeachable offense. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

This and a lot of people who have made their money consider themselves rich, but do not truly comprehend that they are they are being played by the really rich.

These guys also have a hard time telling the difference between patriotism and nationalism.

The old are especially vulnerable to this replacement message.  The truth is, is that they are being replaced, but that is just part of getting old and being part of a society that is moving at a faster pace than when they were young coupled with the fact that they are moving slower while everything else is moving faster.  They feel it more than the rest of us and lash out at parties that are not responsible.

Yep.  It's manipulation of the generalized feeling of obsolescence that older folks feel.  And, they just aren't sensitive to racial and cultural change, because even if they never were overtly bigoted or racist, they were the product of a system (educational and every other way) that ignored and marginalized minorities.

They got theirs.  They feel like they earned it, and probably rightfully so.  But they fail to appreciate what was denied others.  They didn't necessarily pull up the ladder, but they are oblivious to the fact that the same ladders weren't there for others and we're paying a price for that.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Stephen Miller's wikipedia:

Stephen Miller (born August 23, 1985)[1] is an American right-wing[1][2] political activist and white nationalist[3] who serves as a senior advisor for policy for President Donald Trump.[4]

The best part is that 13 articles are referenced in support of the white nationalist part.  Kudos for the sourcing ...

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Stephen Miller's wikipedia:

Stephen Miller (born August 23, 1985)[1] is an American right-wing[1][2] political activist and white nationalist[3] who serves as a senior advisor for policy for President Donald Trump.[4]

The white nationalist thing wasn't a shock.  Learning Miller is only 34 years old is more of a shock.   

Must've been a hard life for him being a white man in America.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

The white nationalist thing wasn't a shock.  Learning Miller is only 34 years old is more of a shock.   

Must've been a hard life for him being a white man in America.

It really is a testament to the American Dream that a white man in today's America can rise so high in only 34 years.

i just can't figure it.

My high school shop teacher is one of those people. Grew up across the street from him. He was on a nuclear sub during Vietnam. He led my explorer chapter and took us on all kinds of great camping trips. Raised three great kids. Taught me how to use a band saw. Good catholic, great guy. Hardcore Trumper. Posts Russian fake news daily. It’s sad.

i just can't figure it.

My high school shop teacher is one of those people. Grew up across the street from him. He was on a nuclear sub during Vietnam. He led my explorer chapter and took us on all kinds of great camping trips. Raised three great kids. Taught me how to use a band saw. Good catholic, great guy. Hardcore Trumper. Posts Russian fake news daily. It’s sad.