Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/collins-strongly-considers-senate-bid-kemp-doesn-tap-him/EWZt5MyKyGyVGQdWjMW1RN/

President Donald Trump pressed Gov. Brian Kemp on Wednesday to appoint U.S. Rep. Doug Collins to an open U.S. Senate, hours after the Gainesville Republican said he was “strongly” considering a run for the job even if he’s not tapped. 

The call, described by three high-level GOP officials, was part of a dramatic increase in pressure from Collins’ allies that raises the possibility of a bitter Republican clash over the race. 

It’s the second time in two weeks Trump directly appealed Kemp to appoint Collins, who was long considered top contender to fill U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson’s seat before a multi-millionaire financial executive applied. 

Kelly Loeffler submitted her application hours before the Monday deadline, apparently scrambling Collins’ calculations. Loeffler, a financial executive who co-owns Atlanta’s WNBA franchise, is widely considered by GOP insiders to be Kemp’s favorite for the coveted post.

When Collins was pressed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution earlier Wednesday about whether he was contemplating a bid for the office regardless of whether he’s selected, he confirmed his interest. 

“In recent days and weeks, I’ve heard from more and more Georgians encouraging me to pursue statewide service. Those Georgians deserve to have me consider their voices – so I am, strongly,” he said. 

U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida, one of Trump’s top congressional allies, sent a Twitter message saying it’s “beyond dispute” that Kemp won the primary because of the president’s support, and pressed him to “do what you *know directly* is the right thing” and appoint Collins.

And after the Atlanta Journal-Constitution published a story detailing Collins’ threat to run, Trump dialed up Kemp to push his appointment, according to multiple people who weren’t authorized to speak publicly. 

One of them said Trump stressed Collins’ role fighting the president’s impeachment in the U.S. House and characterized him as someone who could be an “immediate leader” in the Senate. Another said the president also told Kemp he understands it’s his choice to make. 

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Hey, that guy was there in October.   No, the other guy.  I got a picture of him.  You might be able to click to get the full size, if you want to really zoom in on him.

20191003-124606.jpg

Somehow this picture got cropped, and the best part got cut off.  This is why I don't like to post in CR.

Let's try this version:

20191003-124606sm.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/20/20974999/trump-is-lying-about-the-new-apple-factory

In advance of Trump’s factory tour today, I took a look at the strange relationship that’s developed between Tim Cook and Donald Trump over the past three years. One of the things that popped up was one specific story that Trump would tell about Apple, in rally after rally and meeting after meeting. The idea was that Trump had somehow induced the company to build a new factory in the US, through some combination of tax cuts and trade policy, which was both very politically useful and also very much not true.

Today, perhaps not surprisingly, he told the lie again.

“We’re seeing the beginning of a very powerful and important plant,” Trump said at the factory. “Anybody that followed my campaign, I would always talk about Apple, that I want to see Apple building plants in the United States. And that’s what’s happening.”

This is not true for a couple reasons — one of them nitpicky and one of them a lot more serious. The nitpicky problem is that Apple isn’t actually building a manufacturing plant. The company is building a new campus in Austin, but it’s miles away from the factory and the jobs are going to be very similar to the kind of white-collar design and engineering work that Apple does in Cupertino. Apple doesn’t do its own manufacturing, and the plant Trump is standing in belongs to a contractor called Flex Ltd (formerly Flextronics).

But the bigger problem is that what Flex is doing isn’t anything new. This particular factory has been manufacturing Mac Pros since 2013, when Cook first announced it would assemble them in the United States. That’s before Trump took office. So the idea that we’re seeing the beginning of something, or that Trump has done something during his presidency to bring about this particular instance of US manufacturing, just doesn’t hold water. 

Trump is talking as if Apple has created a brand-new factory in Texas to build Mac Pros. If all you saw was a five-second clip on the news, that’s probably the impression you would get — but it just isn’t true.

Spoiler

People often get very worked up about whether a politician is technically “lying” when they say something that isn’t true, or if they’ve just stumbled into falsehood as if accidentally falling off a chair. But when you say the same false thing over and over again for a year and a half, it’s hard to call it anything else. 

Speaking of which, Trump just aired the lie on Twitter as well:

You can see the video footage of Trump’s tour for yourself below.

Things actually get worse if you keep watching. Later in the video, Trump takes back the mic for a quick aside on how his tariff policy has benefited the factory.

“The nice part is, he doesn’t have to worry about tariffs,” Trump says. “When you build it here, you don’t have to worry about tariffs.”

This is also not true.

In fact, Apple is currently paying tariffs on a number of Mac Pro parts, which must be imported from China to Texas before the final device can be assembled. (Ten of Apple’s requested tariff exemptions were issued earlier this year, but five others were denied, including taxes on the cooling system, charging cable, and various circuit boards.) Because Trump’s current array of tariffs are levied on components but not finished devices, Apple actually doesn’t pay tariffs on the iPhones and MacBooks that are assembled in China. 

The net effect is a tax on electronics assembled in the US. It’s more expensive to assemble Mac Pros in the US, not just because of labor and production costs, but explicitly because of the tariffs Trump has placed on intermediary goods. Apple even briefly flirted with moving Mac Pro production back to China, as a way of driving home the cost of those tariffs, although the company ultimately backed down.

The structure of those taxes could change in the future, and a tariff on phones and other electronics has already been formally proposed, although it keeps getting delayed. On the other hand, talks with China could be so productive that earlier rounds of tariffs are lifted completely. With that much uncertainty, it’s hard for anyone to be sure about the best way to arrange a supply chain.

But the result is an alarming level of falsehood even by Trump standards. He claimed to have brought Apple manufacturing to the United States while standing in a factory that had already been building Apple products for six years, and one that had nearly lost the gig — not benefited — because of Trump’s trade policy.

• Like 5

Today the President will have the usual intelligence briefing, albeit slightly later in the morning (11:45) than usual. This afternoon, Trump and the First Lady will present the National Medal of Arts and the National Humanities Medal.

These are the recipients. I am very fond of Allison Krauss and enjoy her artistry.

National Medal of Arts

Alison Krauss for making extraordinary contributions to American music.  Blending bluegrass, folk, gospel, and country into a unique style, she has entertained and enriched the souls of millions.

Sharon Percy Rockefeller for being a renowned champion of the arts, generous supporter of charity, and a pioneer of new ideas and approaches in the field of public policy.

The Musicians of the United States Military for personifying excellence in music and service to country. From concert halls to warzones, these extraordinary patriots have inspired and uplifted their fellow Americans over generations with their incredible courage and breathtaking musical talent.

Jon Voight for his exceptional capacity as an actor to portray deeply complex characters. Captivating audiences, he has given us insights into the richness of the human mind and heart.

National Humanities Medal

The Claremont Institute for championing the Nation’s founding principles and enriching American minds. Its publications and public events have deepened our understanding and appreciation of American freedom, democracy, justice, and rule of law.

Teresa Lozano Long for supporting the arts and improving educational opportunities. Through scholarships and philanthropy, she has helped America’s children and young adults learn the skills they need to succeed.

Patrick J. O’Connell for being one of the greatest chefs of our time. Through the Inn at Little Washington, he has raised the culinary arts to new heights of excellence by embracing regional flavors and championing local farmers.

James Patterson for being one of the most successful American authors of our time. His prodigious imagination has resulted in fascinating works that have been enjoyed by millions and his championship of literacy in America has inspired many to realize their potential.

Since Fiona Hill's testimony begins early this morning, I cannot assume that is the reason for the latter time for the briefing. Certainly since the President "doesn't watch," he will be too busy to view "THAT womem" lay her career on the line to disavow his narrative. She cares about America, not his ass.

Nobody tell Trump that Terry Long is Latina.  Actually, no wait...tell him.  And I want his base to know how much she has done for the State of Texas and beyond.  And then find out that Terry Long is none other than Teresa Lozano.  And it was the same person the whole time (Scooby Doo music)

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Nobody tell Trump that Terry Long is Latina.  Actually, no wait...tell him.  And I want his base to know how much she has done for the State of Texas and beyond.  And then find out that Terry Long is none other than Teresa Lozano.  And it was the same person the whole time (Scooby Doo music)

It's probably going to chafe his shorts that due to Terry's petite stature she will be (or should be) in the front of any photos.