Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

12 hours ago, Goredho said:

I have at different times taken solace in the fact that even Germany after Hitler was able to recover and become a strong western democracy.

But then I remember that it was possible because there was a democratic superpower to help ensure it.

If the US crumbles, we won't be so lucky.

Germany didn't exactly survive. Functionally, it is an entirely different nation state built on their 1949 constitution and the German basic law which also originated at the same time. Of course, for quite a long time before that, all iterations of nation states in that spot on the map have used the name Germany.

If we crumble, the USA name will be gone, and it is also unlikely that a single new nation state arises in its place. Rest assured that new nation states will form in the US footprint though. It isn't going to be anarchy.  Some of those states will carry on the Democratic tradition with a modified US Constitution that reforms the flaws that allow for a minority tyrant. Others will probably give ethnic or religious states a shot. Eventually, the latter states will bow to economic pressure and reform too. 

The thing is, the founding fathers gave us a way to fix the constitution's flaws when they are discovered. What they missed is that a tyrannical minority party would rather take the nation to the brink of collapse than allow the majority to have a real voice in governance.  

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

No, no....you’re thinking of the New Amendment.  

you see, any attempt at interpreting the constitution to adapt to modern day norms is illegal/unconstitutional.  Except for the second amendment which was clearly meant to evolve into rights to buy assault rifles for school carry.  

Exactly. How else are you going to defend yourself when the godless heathen teachers starts talking about evolution?

• Like 1

According to the Laws of Compensatory Pathologic Narcissism, the Rocky ‘shop suggests something recently happened to diminish his physical ability.

- big overcoat, WH doc traveling w him.

-decreased movement of left arm in a guy who constantly gesticulates with both hands.

- no golf

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

According to the Laws of Compensatory Pathologic Narcissism, the Rocky ‘shop suggests something recently happened to diminish his physical ability.

- big overcoat, WH doc traveling w him.

-decreased movement of left arm in a guy who constantly gesticulates with both hands.

- no golf

reminiscent of charlie sheen going nuts after finding out he had AIDS. all that tiger blood nonsense.

MCGA!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia-pacific/china-hopes-trump-will-be-reelected-hes-easy-to-read/2019/11/26/70538d98-00ca-11ea-8341-cc3dce52e7de_story.html

“Trump is a businessman. We can just pay him money and the problems will be solved,” said a politically connected person in Beijing, speaking on the condition of anonymity to talk frankly about sensitive international issues. “As long as we have money, we can buy him. That’s the reason why we prefer him to Democrats.”

Trump’s unfiltered tweets help China in negotiations because he is “easy to read,” said Long Yongtu, a former vice minister of foreign trade and China’s point man during its accession to the World Trade Organization in 2001, at a conference in Shenzhen this month. “We want Trump to be reelected; we would be glad to see that happen.”

Another influential voice in Beijing, Tsinghua University international relations professor Yan Xuetong, wrote recently that, thanks to Trump, China was facing “the best strategic opportunity” since the Cold War.

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

IMO, wrong. It’s all about seizing funds and assets. Every person in the US with a Latin sounding name is now a suspected cartel member. Assets will be seized 

You make excellent points here. We are going down a very dark path right now. I fear that we actually see this happen.

16 hours ago, Goredho said:

I have at different times taken solace in the fact that even Germany after Hitler was able to recover and become a strong western democracy.

But then I remember that it was possible because there was a democratic superpower to help ensure it.

If the US crumbles, we won't be so lucky.

To whom much is given, much is expected. 

There is no country left to completely fill that role that we have abdicated. Watching so many Americans be so unbelievably cruel to immigrants and minorities is just horrific. No one chose the color of their skin. For Christ sakes it just perplexes me how humans decided that darker-skinned people are the devil. 

If you believe in God (do not care if you do or not) and are a Trumpkin it's going to be a helluva weird experience seeing this dark-skinned man with matted hair coming back. 

• Like 3

Weakens America?  Check

Helps Russia?  Check

Edit: I know some see it as only symbolic, given the low amount of money we are talking about, but that's the point.  It's Trump trying to take a shit on an organization that we've benefitted form since its inception.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Weakens America?  Check

Helps Russia?  Check

Edit: I know some see it as only symbolic, given the low amount of money we are talking about, but that's the point.  It's Trump trying to take a shit on an organization that we've benefitted form since its inception.

You remember this story and quote from February of this year? Seems so long ago. I suppose this is what it's like living in the Land of Fleeting and Temporary Freedom:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-putin/putin-to-u-s-im-ready-for-another-cuban-missile-crisis-if-you-want-one-idUSKCN1QA1A3

Putin to U.S.: I'm ready for another Cuban Missile-style crisis if you want one.

2 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Happy Thanksgiving Shagsters!

And if you voted for that corrupt, dishonest piece of shit in the White House . . . Happy Thanksgiving to you too. But if you're going to vote, then please try to put a little more thought into it.

That was way nicer than what I would have said. 

October 31, 1908

By the President of the United States of America

Thanksgiving Proclamation

Once again the season is at hand when, according to the ancient custom of our people, it becomes the duty of the President to appoint a day of prayer and of thanksgiving to God.

Year by year this Nation grows in strength and worldly power. During the century and a quarter that has elapsed since our entry into the circle of independent peoples we have grown and prospered in material things to a degree never known before, and not now known in any other country. The thirteen colonies which straggled along the seacoast of the Atlantic and were hemmed-in but a few miles west of tidewater by the Indian haunted wilderness, have been transformed into the mightiest republic which the world has ever seen. Its domains stretch across the continent from one to the other of the two greatest oceans, and it exercises dominion alike in the arctic and tropic realms. The growth in wealth and population has surpassed even the growth in territory. Nowhere else in the world is the average of individual comfort and material well-being as high as in our fortunate land.

For the very reason that in material well-being we have thus abounded, we owe it to the Almighty to show equal progress in moral and spiritual things. With a nation, as with the individuals who make up a nation, material well-being is an indispensable foundation. But the foundation avails nothing by itself. That life is wasted, and worse than wasted, which is spent in piling, heap upon heap, those things which minister merely to the pleasure of the body and to the power that rests only on wealth. Upon material well-being as a foundation must be raised the structure of the lofty life of the spirit, if this Nation is properly to fulfil its great mission and to accomplish all that we so ardently hope and desire. The things of the body are good; the things of the intellect better; the best of all are the things of the soul; for, in the nation as in the individual, in the long run it is character that counts. Let us, therefore, as a people set our faces resolutely against evil, and with broad charity, with kindliness and good-will toward all men, but with unflinching determination to smite down wrong, strive with all the strength that is given us for righteousness in public and in private life.

theodore-roosevelt.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
October 31, 1908

By the President of the United States of America

Thanksgiving Proclamation

Once again the season is at hand when, according to the ancient custom of our people, it becomes the duty of the President to appoint a day of prayer and of thanksgiving to God.

Year by year this Nation grows in strength and worldly power. During the century and a quarter that has elapsed since our entry into the circle of independent peoples we have grown and prospered in material things to a degree never known before, and not now known in any other country. The thirteen colonies which straggled along the seacoast of the Atlantic and were hemmed-in but a few miles west of tidewater by the Indian haunted wilderness, have been transformed into the mightiest republic which the world has ever seen. Its domains stretch across the continent from one to the other of the two greatest oceans, and it exercises dominion alike in the arctic and tropic realms. The growth in wealth and population has surpassed even the growth in territory. Nowhere else in the world is the average of individual comfort and material well-being as high as in our fortunate land.

For the very reason that in material well-being we have thus abounded, we owe it to the Almighty to show equal progress in moral and spiritual things. With a nation, as with the individuals who make up a nation, material well-being is an indispensable foundation. But the foundation avails nothing by itself. That life is wasted, and worse than wasted, which is spent in piling, heap upon heap, those things which minister merely to the pleasure of the body and to the power that rests only on wealth. Upon material well-being as a foundation must be raised the structure of the lofty life of the spirit, if this Nation is properly to fulfil its great mission and to accomplish all that we so ardently hope and desire. The things of the body are good; the things of the intellect better; the best of all are the things of the soul; for, in the nation as in the individual, in the long run it is character that counts. Let us, therefore, as a people set our faces resolutely against evil, and with broad charity, with kindliness and good-will toward all men, but with unflinching determination to smite down wrong, strive with all the strength that is given us for righteousness in public and in private life.

theodore-roosevelt.jpg

I am 100% certain that our current president disagrees with that second paragraph. And that says everything you need to know about him and the direction of America. 

• Like 2

So now Carlson is beginning the effort to normalize lying:

Tucker Carlson Calls Trump A ‘Full-Blown BS Artist’ And Admits He’s A Liar

The Fox News host was somehow using these terms in the president’s defense.

Tucker Carlson has admitted that President Donald Trump lies incessantly ― and his defense is that being a “BS artist” is just who Trump is.

During Wednesday night’s edition of “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” the Fox News host brought up a recent Washington Post article that counted the president’s lies since taking office as being at more than 13,000 false claims. He conceded that the president does, in fact, tell lies. To demonstrate his point, he brought up one of Trump’s most famous tall tales: the claim that the crowd at his inauguration was the largest of all time. 

“We’re not going to lie to you. That was untrue,” Carlson said. “The crowd at the 2017 inauguration was not the largest ever measured on the National Mall. Sorry. It wasn’t.”

“Why did the president claim it was?” Carlson asked. “Well, because that’s who he is. Donald Trump is a salesman: A talker, a boaster, a compulsive self-promoter. At times, he’s a full-blown BS artist.”

“Most people know this. It’s obvious. It’s transparent, really.”

Carlson went on to declare that liberals aren’t really concerned about the president’s lies ― they’re concerned about when he tells the truth.

“Is lying really the reason the left despises Donald Trump?” Carlson riffed. “Or could the real problem be, as is so often the case, the exact opposite of what they claim it is?”

“Truth is the real threat to their power,” he said, citing the president’s infamous 2015 speech about Mexican immigrants being “rapists.”

Trump, who on the campaign trail at the time, had claimed immigrants were bringing “crime” and “drugs” and were “rapists,” before qualifying the statement by adding, “and some of them, I assume, are good people.”

“Trump didn’t claim that everyone coming over southern border is a criminal,” Carlson said. “But some are. That’s true. And precisely because it is true, you are absolutely, under no circumstances allowed to say it.”

He also referenced several other “Trump Truths,” including the president’s assertion that Baltimore is “rodent-infested” and a “corrupt mess,” which Carlson defended as being “undeniably true.”

“Let’s just agree that Trump is a racist liar and move on,” he concluded. “And by the way, did you know he’s up to almost 14,000 lies by now? My gosh, what a bad person he is. Unlike us.”

The full segment can be viewed below.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tucker-carlson-fox-news-trump-liar_n_5ddf55d2e4b0913e6f790a3a

Always fun to talk to a family member who supports Trump over the holidays.   Stopped by in-laws this morning to drop off stuff for dinner tonight, and one of them was going on about how Thanksgiving was being used by the Democrats (I walked in on this conversation so I don't know what that was about) and that the impeachment stuff was just a Democratic stunt, and that no crimes had been committed.  I tossed in the latest stuff about Rudy pointing to corruption, and their response was "he thought about it, he considered it, but he didn't do it, so it's all cool!"

They were automatically coming up with a defense of something that should never have received one second of thought - it should have been an automatic "no" and Giuliani should never have spent a month, let alone a few hours, pursuing business with the Ukrainian government.  Their ever-shifting line in the sand was that Giuliani wasn't successful, etc. so it didn't matter.

To use an example @Brisketexan is familiar with, it's like me talking about how I want to have that three-way with Sela Ward and Nancy Wilson that I've always dreamed about.  Now I'm not an idiot -  trying to make it happen would involve at least one interstate kidnapping charge (federal time ahoy), and a violation of restraining orders in one or more states (CA, MS, WA), (edit: if I had such restraining orders), and there won't be any probation for violating restraining orders this time around.  However, me talking about it/thinking about it is not a crime at all, at least, as long as I don't talk about it on their official websites (apparently restraining orders can theoretically be applied to the comment section of a celebrity's website).  Here on Surly it's fine if I talk about it.  Hell, it's fine if I jokingly decide to drive to Mississippi, California, or Washington state.  It's even fine if I drive on in to certain towns they have homes in, but after that it gets dicey, because it's easy to cross that 300 foot line (or 500 feet in MS) that's listed on the restraining order, without realizing it, and like I said, no probation this time around.

So I don't even bother driving to any of those three states, because it's all too easy to end up in an article on TMZ, just on the off chance I were to theoretically have such restraining orders filed against me.  But Rudy spent a month considering something he should never have given a second thought.  Which makes you wonder - if we are finding about his failures/rejections, what about the jobs/contracts in which he was successful?  Especially given that they weren't making checks out to Rudy, but instead his lawfirms/representatives?  I really hope the state of NY is pouring through his bank records.

Edited by atomheartbevo

And ran into another another Trump-loving in-law and her bf/whatever this morning (she told somebody he's  her common-law hubby), her tactic is to ignore anything Trump doesn't say.  She said she completely ignored the hearings, and she ignores the media as a whole, both because it's fake news, and in the case of the hearings, she didn't vote for those people, and some of those people were around before Trump came in and/or maybe Obama fans.

Basically she's deliberately putting herself in a bubble and claiming ignorance outside of the things that Trump directly says.  She feigns ignorance on many his policies/actions.  She pictures herself as one of those persecuted classes of people that Trump is constantly trying to appeal to, even though she grew up in a white upper-class setting, and had everything given to her (and still does).

She is that 25% or whatever, that will never bail on Trump.    You could have evidence of Trump physically handling money the Russians gave him, and she would not care.    Probably helps that she has mental problems.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 11/27/2019 at 11:55 AM, Mo Horn said:

Where he gets all his bullshit. Fox News ran a story about it. 

Totally makes it up to get his minions pissed at liberals. I wish we had a real president who cares for people no matter where they are in life. Instead he only cares for them as long as they vote for him. Such a self centered egotist. 

• Like 1