Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

On December 16, 2019 at 6:59 AM, GRHorn said:

Yeah, well:

I know firsthand the professionalism of the men and women of the F.B.I. The aspersions cast upon them by the president and my longtime friend, Attorney General William P. Barr, are troubling in the extreme. Calling F.B.I. professionals “scum,” as the president did, is a slur against people who risk their lives to keep us safe. Mr. Barr’s charges of bias within the F.B.I., made without providing any evidence and in direct dispute of the findings of the nonpartisan inspector general, risk inflicting enduring damage on this critically important institution.

• You have 6 free articles remaining.
Subscribe to The Times

The country can ill afford to have a chief law enforcement officer dispute the Justice Department’s own independent inspector general’s report and claim that an F.B.I. investigation was based on “a completely bogus narrative.” In fact, the report conclusively found that the evidence to initiate the Russia investigation was unassailable. There were more than 100 contacts between members of the Trump campaign and Russian agents during the 2016 campaign, and Russian efforts to undermine our democracy continue to this day. I’m glad the F.B.I. took the threat seriously. It is important, Mr. Wray said last week, that the inspector general found that “the investigation was opened with appropriate predication and authorization.”

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

He's lost a lot of support from the military, but the thinking is that it's mostly from his handling of the Syria situation.

IAAAUGVASFB2XDIJK2UVG6UOGA.png

He's shown he gives zero fucks about our troops except for the few that will get him headlines. If I was in right now I'd be worried af about my immediate future.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

surely he has lost a lot of active military and veteran support over this. right? 

I haven't looked in recent weeks, but anecdotal - a lot of my friends who served/are served, who were Trump fans, have really....lost their enthusiasm for him.  I would put it more on Syria/Turkey waking a bunch of them up, but things like today continue to chip away at their support for Trump.  Syria, followed by a thousand paper cuts or something.

This is an awesome troll job. For some reason Twitter's not allowing me to copy the link, but the video is Melanie Trump ho strutting & holding prop kids while Neil Young's "Keep on Rocking in the Free World" plays. You know, with the lyrics "now she's put the kid away and she's gone to get a hit/she hates her life and what she's done to it/there's one more kid that'll never go to school/never get to fall in love/never get to be cool...keep on rockin "279dc02de5be9a75674ec2cc9db65b8b.jpg

A plus for Trump - extending Obama's rule that federally funded research must be free to the public. 

I doubt he will go through with it, since the major publishers don't like it and his promises hinge on support by the wealthy.

The Trump White House is rumored to be working on a beefed-up open access mandate.

The potential executive order would require all scientific papers that are based on federally funded research to be made available online free of charge as soon as they are published. That would supersede a 2013 rule issued by the Obama White House that required federally funded papers to become freely available one year after publication.

. . . Supporters of the open access model question how much value traditional scientific publishers actually add. The peer-review process is typically carried out by working scientists on a volunteer basis. Meanwhile, you'd expect the Internet to reduce the costs of distributing scientific journals. Instead, the cost of subscribing to scientific journals has been rising much faster than inflation in recent years. . . .

"Research funded by taxpayers should not be locked behind a paywall," one long-time ACM member tweeted.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/12/publishers-blast-rumored-ban-on-paywalls-for-federally-funded-research/