Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

what i'm hoping is that the subpoenas going out now are all part of the "inquiry" utilized to gather information, establish a narrative for the public, and to determine whether to impeach.  this would lead to 3 possible outcomes:

1. people/documents appear, and don't provide much damning info, and they don't impeach

2. people/documents appear, and do provide plenty of damning info, and they move forward with impeachment

3. stonewalling continues, which is enough to start pushing the narrative to the american people that it's time to impeach, and they have no other choice but to move forward

right now, option 3 is winning by a lot, and option 2 is likely in 2nd place.  option 1 may be polling inside the margin (of actually being a non-zero number).

i don't know if this is the actual plan, but i feel like it's inevitably moving in this direction.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what i'm hoping is that the subpoenas going out now are all part of the "inquiry" utilized to gather information, establish a narrative for the public, and to determine whether to impeach.  this would lead to 3 possible outcomes:

1. people/documents appear, and don't provide much damning info, and they don't impeach

2. people/documents appear, and do provide plenty of damning info, and they move forward with impeachment

3. stonewalling continues, which is enough to start pushing the narrative to the american people that it's time to impeach, and they have no other choice but to move forward

right now, option 3 is winning by a lot, and option 2 is likely in 2nd place.  option 1 may be polling inside the margin (of actually being a non-zero number).

i don't know if this is the actual plan, but i feel like it's inevitably moving in this direction.

Are we going to hear from Mueller?  That would help but Congress backed off from him testifying.  That to me seems to show weakness from the Dems. 

23 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

This is where I am. Unfortunately, the 24 hour news cycle means people are getting frustrated that things aren't moving faster. I get that. It is extremely important, however, for the Democrats to show the majority of Americans who do not currently favor impeaching the president that they gave the administration every opportunity to cooperate. Eventually, they will be able to say that they had no choice but to impeach even if most Americans do not agree. If the impeachment process brings the majority over to their side, so much the better. 

Edited by David Dennison

Just now, Mdhorn said:

Are we going to hear from Mueller?  That would help but Congress backed off from him testifying.  That to me seems to show weakness from the Dems. 

i don't think congress backed off, i think there's some negotiating with his team about conditions of his hearings.

word is coming out today that he doesn't want to get shoved into this shitstorm that has happened over the past 2 years.  he's a quiet, private, professional guy, and likely doesn't want to be center stage in a congressional slapfight, especially while he's still technically a doj employee.  it also might be due to the fact that he knows for a fact whatever he says will not be received well by the president and ag.

don't be surprised if he ends up testifying behind closed doors.  ironic because his 450 page report has been made (mostly) public.

31 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

It was mentioned here last week, but in April, SCO spokesperson Carr stated Mueller's SC tenure would be ending in "days."  But here we are and Mueller is still an active Special Counsel which means Barr/DOJ can limit what Mueller says to Congress.  I also saw it mentioned that Mueller likely stands to still report on counterintel matters to SSCI and HCSI (as acting SC) before he gets read out of his investigation.  So there are highly relevant and justifiable reasons to wait a few weeks.  Meanwhile the courts are holding fast (see Trump/Mazars ruling yesterday) as the array of available paths for Congress becomes more clear. 

Legal cracks in the stonewalling are appearing and soon when the damn breaks it'll be time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

maybe, and i'm just spitballing here, the Dems are armed with a bit more info on a dozen different fronts than Hugo's twitter army, and based off of that information, they've determined slow-playing impeachment proceedings are the best move.

I feel like Nancy Pelosi is about as politically savvy as it gets on the left side of the aisle.  While I'm frustrated with the pace of progress, and while I would prefer impeachment even though it would never result in conviction, I think she has the closest thing to a crystal ball as any Democrat.

11 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

maybe, and i'm just spitballing here, the Dems are armed with a bit more info on a dozen different fronts than Hugo's twitter army, and based off of that information, they've determined slow-playing impeachment proceedings are the best move.

Yes, that’s it, the old 3-D chess play.  Or, and I’m just spitballing here, maybe the public is armed with enough information to conclude the democrats are not doing their job and acting like pussies in the face of tyranny.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I feel like Nancy Pelosi is about as politically savvy as it gets on the left side of the aisle.  While I'm frustrated with the pace of progress, and while I would prefer impeachment even though it would never result in conviction, I think she has the closest thing to a crystal ball as any Democrat.

This right here.  

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yes, that’s it, the old 3-D chess play.  Or, and I’m just spitballing here, maybe the public is armed with enough information to conclude the democrats are not doing their job and acting like pussies in the face of tyranny.

you are consumed by a world of instant gratification served up 140 characters at a time. it would be impossible for you to crawl out of that world and back into the real one at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

you are consumed by a world of instant gratification served up 140 characters at a time. it would be impossible for you to crawl out of that world and back into the real one at this point.

Are you saying I’m Presidential?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, retread said:

20 years ago, he would have been impeached on publicly available information.

20 years ago, he would have been impeached on information that was publicly available well over a year ago.  Yet the general tenor on this board alone supporting kicking off the impeachment process is noticeably stronger than it was just a few weeks ago.  It's coming to a head right now.

Spoiler

barr-chicken-out-of-house-judiciary-hear

Spoiler

House-judiciary-chairman-vows-to-questio

24 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

There are no crystal balls.  You make the political reality you want or allow Trump to do it for you.

Well, bullshit.  I mean, yeah, nobody has a clear vision into the future -- see Hillary Clinton 2016 -- but some are better than others.  This idea that there is one single strategy that Trumps all others is naive and immature.  We simply don't know.  

36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I find the notion that Trump is somehow in control of this situation and driving the narrative laughable. There's a dozen different tentacles to this thing and all of them are being slowly wrapped around his neck.

Trump has no strategy except distract and dismay.  That’s why we get stories about him “considering” pardoning war criminals, “considering” war with Iran, abortion all of a sudden becoming a national conversation, and a dozens of other stories and conspiracy theories to pollute the information space to neutralize any organized focused opposition.  The GOP is all in on this too. 

It’s an easy playbook because there is only one play and it works. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think you’ve had a stroke.  Have someone rush you to the ER.  ASAP (that means fast)

You must be referring to the leading contender for the Dem nomination's 2 brain surgeries.

“Joe Biden of all of the politicians in Washington is the only one that I’m certain has a brain, because I have seen it,” Kassell said. “That’s more than I can say about all the other candidates or the incumbents.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/surgeon-who-operated-on-joe-biden-hes-better-now-than-before-brain-surgery

Biden would be 78 on Inauguration Day, and he still calls up Kassell every year on the anniversary of his surgery.

At the time of Biden’s brush with death in 1988, his wife, Jill Biden, feared that he would never be the same. In a forthcoming autobiography, “Where the Light Enters," Jill recounts Joe's doctor telling the family that there was a significant chance he’d have permanent neurological damage, particularly after he suffered a second aneurysm, a condition in which an artery becomes weak and bulges out.

"Our doctor told us there was a 50-50 chance Joe wouldn't survive surgery," she wrote. "He also said that it was even more likely that Joe would have permanent brain damage if he survived. And if any part of his brain would be adversely affected, it would be the area that governed speech."

Initially, Joe Biden suffered an aneurysm that burst and required him to undergo emergency surgery. He was so close to death that a priest was preparing to administer the Catholic sacrament of last rites. A few months later, surgeons clipped a second aneurysm before it burst, after discovering it during a routine screening.

Barr just blinked

(CNN)The Justice Department is trying to stave off an "enforcement action" against Attorney General William Barr this week, making a rare offer to have the House Intelligence Committee review materials from special counsel Robert Mueller's report if House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff agrees to back down.

Last week Schiff said that he would hold a business meeting Wednesday to take an unspecified action against the Justice Department for not providing the committee documents related to Volume I of Mueller's report on links between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.
The Justice Department had previously offered to show all committee members a less redacted version of the Mueller report, but now says it's continuing to review the initial tranche of 12 categories of documents Schiff wants, and will make them available "in relatively short order," according to a letter obtained by CNN.
"The Department has already begun the process of identifying, locating and reviewing the materials potentially responsive to the categories of documents," Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote Tuesday, "a process that will not continue should the Committee take the unnecessary and unproductive step of moving to hold the Attorney General in contempt."
Boyd's letter also confirms that last week's offer of having all members of the House Intelligence Committee review the less redacted version of the Mueller report remains on the table -- and it now extends to the Senate Intelligence Committee.
CNN has reached out to Schiff's office for comment.

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Barr just blinked

(CNN)The Justice Department is trying to stave off an "enforcement action" against Attorney General William Barr this week, making a rare offer to have the House Intelligence Committee review materials from special counsel Robert Mueller's report if House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff agrees to back down.

Last week Schiff said that he would hold a business meeting Wednesday to take an unspecified action against the Justice Department for not providing the committee documents related to Volume I of Mueller's report on links between the Trump campaign and the Russian government.
The Justice Department had previously offered to show all committee members a less redacted version of the Mueller report, but now says it's continuing to review the initial tranche of 12 categories of documents Schiff wants, and will make them available "in relatively short order," according to a letter obtained by CNN.
"The Department has already begun the process of identifying, locating and reviewing the materials potentially responsive to the categories of documents," Assistant Attorney General Stephen Boyd wrote Tuesday, "a process that will not continue should the Committee take the unnecessary and unproductive step of moving to hold the Attorney General in contempt."
Boyd's letter also confirms that last week's offer of having all members of the House Intelligence Committee review the less redacted version of the Mueller report remains on the table -- and it now extends to the Senate Intelligence Committee.
CNN has reached out to Schiff's office for comment.

Umm.. sounds like extortion. They need to be told to fuck off with their "relatively short order" bullshit. Make it available by Friday or Barr is in contempt. Enough with drawing things out. That's what they're trying to do. Delay as much as possible.

Pretty much sums up a Trump rally.

"The mob believes everything it is told, provided only that it be repeated over and over. Provided too that its passions, hatreds, fears are catered to. Nor need one try to stay within the limits of plausibility: on the contrary, the grosser, the bigger, the cruder the lie, the more readily is it believed and followed. Nor is there any need to avoid contradictions: the mob never notices; needless to pretend to correlate what is said to some with what is said to others: each person or group believes only what he is told, not what anyone else is told; needless to strive for coherence: the mob has no memory; needless to pretend to any truth: the mob is radically incapable of perceiving it: the mob can never comprehend that its own interests are what is at stake."
Alexandre Koyré, Réflexions sur le mensonge
  • Like 3