Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I just don’t understand the Christians in all of this. Neither Trump nor the GOP is demonstrating behavior that is inline with Christian principles, except for the official church view on abortion. Why are these people staying with the Republican Party and Trump? I don’t get it.

https://billmoyers.com/2014/07/17/when-southern-baptists-were-pro-choice/"

"Conventional wisdom holds that the rise of the religious right as a political force to be reckoned with during the 1970s and 1980s was driven by conservative Christians’ intense opposition to the Supreme Court’s decision in Roe v. Wade. But Dartmouth College’s Randall Balmer writes that “the abortion myth quickly collapses under historical scrutiny.” He notes that “it wasn’t until 1979 — a full six years after Roe — that evangelical leaders, at the behest of conservative activist Paul Weyrich, seized on abortion not for moral reasons, but …. because the anti-abortion crusade was more palatable than the religious right’s real motive: protecting segregated schools.”

When Roe was first decided, most of the Southern evangelicals who today make up the backbone of the anti-abortion movement believed that abortion was a deeply personal issue in which government shouldn’t play a role. Some were hesitant to take a position on abortion because they saw it as a “Catholic issue,” and worried about the influence of Catholic teachings on American religious observance.

Shortly after the decision was handed down, The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” read the January 31, 1973, piece by W. Barry Garrett, The Baptist Press’s Washington bureau chief.

Religious bodies and religious persons can continue to teach their own particular views to their constituents with all the vigor they desire. People whose conscience forbids abortion are not compelled by law to have abortions. They are free to practice their religion according to the tenets of their personal or corporate faith.

The reverse is also now true since the Supreme Court decision. Those whose conscience or religious convictions are not violated by abortion may not now be forbidden by a religious law to obtain an abortion if they so choose.

Garrett reassured his readers that the decision had been made not by “a Warren type or ‘liberal’ Supreme Court,” but “a ‘strict constructionist’ court, most of whose members have been appointed by President Nixon.”

Two days earlier, The Baptist Press profiled Linda Coffee, a Southern Baptist who was one of the two Texas attorneys who argued Roe before the Supreme Court. She told the paper that “the ruling does not relieve each individual of standing firmly behind his or her moral or religious viewpoint about what a person is or when life begins,” and worried that an “emotional reaction to the ruling will result in failure to distinguish between the legal principle of the decision and the moral implications now left to the doctor patient relationship.”

Jerry Falwell Sr famously said back in 1965, that "pastors should stay in the pulpit, they are concerned not with political matters but with spiritual matters", which of course was a backhanded criticism of Martin Luther King Jr. He would reverse course a decade later when the effort to remove Bob Jones' tax exempt status begin in full earnest due to their policy of prohibiting Blacks and whites from dating.  It is now and has forever been about race for white evangelicals. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Trump: "America is a nightmare, this place sucks, everything is terrible, elect me or you all are going to die."

Republicans: "YES!  Finally, someone that is willing to speak their mind!  We bow before our new lord and savior!"

Democrats: "Maybe we shouldn't put kids in cages..."

Republicans: "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN LEAVE!!!"

• Like 5

"What is the Server saying?"

Fuck y'all worrying about Russia, he knows that SkyNet is self-aware and can say things to him without human programming.  That's the real crime here!  

Hey remember 2 days ago when Pelosi and staff where throwing tweets and digs and shade at The Squad (TM)?  Donald does not, since The Squad (TM) gets a total free pass and big embrace by the Dem party apparently. 

More "every accusation is a confession" considering Trump gets a free pass and big embrace from his party as long as when he shits his pants, just a little runs down his leg. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like how people like Rick Perry talk about seceding and no one accuses him of hating America.

Hell, every dufus with a confederate flag is supporting a treasonous attempt to end the US, and they are all Trump supporters. 

The lack of knowledge and/or self-awareness of Trumpkins is astounding...yet normalized by this administration.

AOC has managed to directly engage the president on twitter. This will be a slaughter and fun to watch. She will calmly provoke him into infuriated, sputtering blunders. The GOP created a monster by going after her.

It's also sad that twitter is how we conduct public political discourse. Thanks, Obama.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

AOC has managed to directly engage the president on twitter. This will be a slaughter and fun to watch. She will calmly provoke him into infuriated, sputtering blunders. The GOP created a monster by going after her.

It's also sad that twitter is how we conduct public political discourse. Thanks, Obama.

And it's the monster that gives him the best opportunity to win re-election.  GOP have been searching for a boogieman/woman and nothing has stuck.  He has it now, four of them, the race election has begun, and the GOP dominates those fights.  Until I see otherwise, I'll bet you ten Willie Horton's that America will go the way of hate.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

MLK: I have a dream...

Dotard: Love it or go back to where you came from, asshole. 

One of the most frustrating things to me is that none of these problems are intractable. Immigration, health care, managing a budget, taxation, etc. We just don't know how to solve problems anymore. Or maybe the powers that be don't want to solve them.

Edited by retread

10 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

And it's the monster that gives him the best opportunity to win re-election.  GOP have been searching for a boogieman/woman and nothing has stuck.  He has it now, four of them, the race election has begun, and the GOP dominates those fights.  Until I see otherwise, I'll bet you ten Willie Horton's that America will go the way of hate.  

This.

Every hopeful post/strategy here is based on a huge flaw: the assumption that we are not a hateful, evil nation.  That assumption is incorrect.

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

He should have been dragged from the building that day and then immediately removed from office by force as the traitor that he is.  

Yep. Either that day or the day that he fired Comey b/c of that Russiar thing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

AOC is the 2020 Hillary, just great. That’s exactly what the Trump machine needed 

LOL remember when they tried to do that with Pelosi last year? 

+41 seats

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keef said:

Quoted again because it is just so true.

Oh yes, those morons. I think the best moment those guys ever had was when Rush Limbaugh warned of the passage of Obamacare. He said:

"I'll just tell you this, if this passes and it's five years from now and all that stuff gets implemented -- I am leaving the country. I'll go to Costa Rica."

Yes, Costa Rica...a country that’s had full-blown universal healthcare since 1973, and even extending eligibility to undocumented immigrants since 1989. This idiot actually believed that the best way to protest a plan, the origins of which resided in the Republican Party, was to move to a country with arguably the greatest emphasis on public care in this entire hemisphere.

That’s the right wing in a nutshell: delusional idiots that literally believe in magic.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Dertyberd said:

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Every hopeful post/strategy here is based on a huge flaw: the assumption that we are not a hateful, evil nation.  That assumption is incorrect.

I make no prediction about the election or how people will vote. My comment strictly relates to what I wrote. I haven't predicted an election outcome since W was "re-elected."

Discussions of political strategy actually don't interest me that much.

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

AOC is the 2020 Hillary, just great. That’s exactly what the Trump machine needed 

You’re looking at this all wrong.  AOC being the new foil is fantastic for Democrats because unlike Hillary and Pelosi, she is young, strong, attractive, and most importantly, FEARLESS.  

Deep down, Americans LOVE these qualities. That’s why she’s a media darling.  Americans also love a fight.  AOC delivers.  She is the circa 2003 Lebron James of politics.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I make no prediction about the election or how people will vote. My comment strictly relates to what I wrote. I haven't predicted an election outcome since W was "re-elected."

Discussions of political strategy actually don't interest me that much.

Fair enough.  It's on my mind because we witnessed the moment it turned yesterday and the GOP strategy for the next year and a half.  I've attempted to be positive on the direction of this country and stay of the politics as much as I can for my own sanity, but this was a seminal moment.  As an educated observer, sure she's going to clean his clock on every argument.  Unfortunately fear overrides everything and we don't exactly have an Obama or a hopeful messenger to truly fight back.  They win in the mud where America lives.    

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Except she's not on the ballot. 

She may galvanize the people on the right who might have stayed home.  Regardless, if we can't outnumber them at the polls (voter suppression and election interference notwithstanding), we deserve what we get.

• Like 1

I think AOC engaging him on twitter is a good thing.  It can easily push him over the edge and expose him.  She doesn't have a presidential race to lose, or a speakership.  She can only gain by goading him into even more outlandish actions and accusations.  Not only for herself, but for the country.  Yeah, she's green at politics, she doesn't know everything in the world, but she is representing those of us who are tired of the petty partisan bullshit and games and want to see some real action on relevant things.  He chose twitter as his weapon, she's just better at it.  That will make him froth.

My hope is he melts down like the wicked witch of the East about a month before the election, leaving the Rs with no one on the ballot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

she is young, strong, attractive, and most importantly, FEARLESS.  

Don't forget sharp, witty, and deft. Her handling of the outrageous dance video from her youth by recording a new dance video outside her office was bit of genius. She chooses the ground where she fights. On twitter she's a matador/judo expert when faced with the stodge-head olds going after her.

Some Trumpist jackass will point to her errors as proof that I'm wrong, but they just reveal their own stodginess. For every old fashioned gotcha you launch, she stings you with a triumphant riposte.

I will thank the GOP for calling the young woman to my attention. I grow more impressed with her every time you howl about her.

(And now I've written about Trump in the AOC thread and AOC in the Trump thread. I expect notification about receiving the Congressional Medal of Surly chop-chop.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I think AOC engaging him on twitter is a good thing.  It can easily push him over the edge and expose him.  She doesn't have a presidential race to lose, or a speakership.  She can only gain by goading him into even more outlandish actions and accusations.  Not only for herself, but for the country.  Yeah, she's green at politics, she doesn't know everything in the world, but she is representing those of us who are tired of the petty partisan bullshit and games and want to see some real action on relevant things.  He chose twitter as his weapon, she's just better at it.  That will make him froth.

My hope is he melts down like the wicked witch of the East about a month before the election, leaving the Rs with no one on the ballot. 

Serious question.  What would trump melting down look like?  How is it different from the racist tweets, word salad, and unhinged press conferences that have been going on for at least a year?  And the republicans will just ignore it or spin it as 4D chess.  And half the country will go along.

• Like 2

Speaking of voter suppression, anyone read the article on how the state of Texas isn't putting any funding into making sure the 2020 census accurately reflects the Texas of 2020? 

Maybe they don't want to count the new people coming in, because they fear they aren't red enough?  Better to stick with the old known commodity, than get credit for the new influx if it means possibly losing any power, huh?

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/16/741325838/texas-and-other-states-decide-not-to-spend-money-on-2020-census

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Serious question.  What would trump melting down look like?  How is it different from the racist tweets, word salad, and unhinged press conferences that have been going on for at least a year?  And the republicans will just ignore it or spin it as 4D chess.  And half the country will go along.

Good question, but i figure somehow that meltdown would see him start to turn on his base, if he were given the idea they were beginning to lose enthusiasm for him.  He's already done this with Fox and nearly everyone who works for him.  He throws everyone under the bus.  But like you said, then who do they put their support behind, who will lead their anger march?

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

She may galvanize the people on the right who might have stayed home.  Regardless, if we can't outnumber them at the polls (voter suppression and election interference notwithstanding), we deserve what we get.

Again, me being a broken record, you cannot let the right dictate your approach.  You take the fight to them, make them be reactive, make them play defense.  This makes them look weak because they are no longer controlling the narrative, they are in a constant state of damage control.

I’m watching MSNBC and CNN right now and it’s Kevin McCarthy/Liz Cheney coming out to protect Trump because of the heat the squad is bringing.  Trump can’t handle it alone because he is so weak and pathetic.  This is political warfare. 

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Again, me being a broken record, you cannot let the right dictate your approach.  You take the fight to them, make them be reactive, make them play defense.  This makes them look weak because they are no longer controlling the narrative, they are in a constant state of damage control.

I’m watching MSNBC and CNN right now and it’s Kevin McCarthy/Liz Cheney coming out to protect Trump because of the heat the squad is bringing.  Trump can’t handle it alone because he is so weak and pathetic.  This is political warfare. 

They are digging in and making the line even clearing: supporting Donald Trump is racist.

That is fantastic. We need that kind of clarity.

Voting for Donald Trump is racist. That's the Democrats' 2020 message.