Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump is the part of the tumor that's at the surface, oozing its disgusting filth.

The cancer is Trumpism, the GOP that enabled it and happily collaborated with our enemies in the process, and the 30-40% of our population that went along with it.  If you just cut off the exposed part of the tumor, you don't cure shit.

Make.  The rubble.  BOUNCE.

Expand on your thought experiment. How do you see that happening from a practical standpoint?

• Like 1

Just now, retread said:

If he gets ousted from office in '20 and avoids prison, he's not going to go away. He'll remain the putative head of the GOP as long as he lives.

He will be on Twitter until his dying breath, speaking to the true believers via Twitter.  A modern day Charles Coughlin.

If only Twitter had the fucking balls to just ban his ass.  Oh, he would find another outlet, but wailing and whining would be so worth it.

3 minutes ago, retread said:

If he gets ousted from office in '20 and avoids prison, he's not going to go away. He'll remain as the putative head of the GOP.

That requires work   He’s going to spend his time doing what he did before, not carrying water for a party that he will blame for his loss  

I love ya Hugo but you’re Charlie Brown and white, middle aged republican men who talk tough on Trump but ultimately fall in line are Lucy with the football.

You’re also like my college roommate - terrible, repetitive taste in men. Always breaking your heart.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He will be on Twitter until his dying breath, speaking to the true believers via Twitter.  A modern day Charles Coughlin.

If only Twitter had the fucking balls to just ban his ass.  Oh, he would find another outlet, but wailing and whining would be so worth it.

This. He'll lead his followers as a shadow president on Twitter, claiming the election was rigged, lashing out at everything his successor does. 

Hillary could be doing that to him. It might actually be kind of funny if she did. It would drive him nuts. But there aren't any Democrats with so little sense of decorum. Still you know that's exactly what Trump is going to do. Hell, he may continue to travel the country holding political rallies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This. He'll lead his followers as a shadow president on Twitter, claiming the election was rigged, lashing out at everything his successor does. 

Hillary could be doing that to him. It might actually be kind of funny if she did. It would drive him nuts. But there aren't any Democrats with so little sense of decorum. Still you know that's exactly what Trump is going to do. Hell, he may continue to travel the country holding political rallies. 

066229d12baa0495b20569aee6e91ca9.webp

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NBMisha said:

My son is  drilling engineer at the company I worked for 35 years.  Every single one of his co-workers are vigilant Trumpists.  He says their number one issue is "muh guns".  

Meanwhile, about 85% of my fellow country clubbers, most Ivy,  are vigilant Trump supporters.  Their number one issue is "Team R".   

The real issue for both groups is "my place in society".

That's your coalition of highly educated white males.  

Race and religious tensions underlie all of this.  Older whites don't want their way of life changed, whether by brown people, the non-religious, or alternative lifestyle living citizens.  

Edited by Amos Moses
typo

13 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I love ya Hugo but you’re Charlie Brown and white, middle aged republican men who talk tough on Trump but ultimately fall in line are Lucy with the football.

You’re also like my college roommate - terrible, repetitive taste in men. Always breaking your heart.

You misunderstand me constantly.  You think I’m rooting for Flake or Romney, I’m not.

I’m rooting for a peaceful way out of this mess.

Even if all your political hopes and dreams of a totally controlled democratic government comes true, there will be millions of Americans completely lost to the wilderness of an alternative reality if the GOP doesn’t move away from Trumpism.  

That is a recipe for catastrophic disaster that will impact everyone. 

This isn’t a fucking game of blue team vs red team or good guy vs bad guy. 

Republicans are Americans, they might be often wrong and misguided, but they don’t have to be indoctrinated into the Cult of Donald Trump.  Any step away from that will always be welcomed by me.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

After hearing Trump explain how amazing he is, I can only imagine how fucking mind numbing it would be to play a round of golf with him.  I never thought about it that way until just now. You hop into a golf cart, and there you would be captive.  Just listening to him drone on and on about his personal greatness for an entire fucking round of golf.  At least I can rest easy knowing the members of Augusta were also aware of this long ago.

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, horn4life said:

After hearing Trump explain how amazing he is, I can only imagine how fucking mind numbing it would be to play a round of golf with him.  I never thought about it that way until just now. You hop into a golf cart, and there you would be captive.  Just listening to him drone on and on about his personal greatness for an entire fucking round of golf.  At least I can rest easy knowing the members of Augusta were also aware of this long ago.

And there is zero chance that he doesn't cheat at golf. None. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

It's already been taken out at the knees. They blew it. 

Tell me....where do all the Trumpists go?  You think they just disappear in 2020?  What about all of the conservative news outlets that have sold their soul to Trumpism -- think Fox news and the National Review decide to get right with God?

Nope.  Not gonna happen.  There is no reform.  There is no remission or dormancy of this disease.  You either eradicate it, or die from it.  Those are our choices.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Tell me....where do all the Trumpists go?  You think they just disappear in 2020?  What about all of the conservative news outlets that have sold their soul to Trumpism -- think Fox news and the National Review decide to get right with God?

Nope.  Not gonna happen.  There is no reform.  There is no remission or dormancy of this disease.  You either eradicate it, or die from it.  Those are our choices.

They'll stay in a weakened Republican Party that has already lost a lot of power.

Just now, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Bill requiring 10 years of POTUS candidate's fed tax returns to be introduced. Dotus going to opt not to run in 2020 if passed?

Doesn't matter.  He'll run, refuse to comply, and a 5-4 SCOTUS will side with him.

Next question?

• Like 3

Just now, David Dennison said:

With reference to Trump, it doesn't matter. Congress is going to subpoena his tax returns from the IRS and there isn't a thing he can do about it.

Famous last words.

You think that actively interfering with an exec branch agency, including firing multiple employees, is beyond this shitshow of an admin?  You continue to assume that the rule of law applies to Trump.  That's a dangerous assumption.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Famous last words.

You think that actively interfering with an exec branch agency, including firing multiple employees, is beyond this shitshow of an admin?  You continue to assume that the rule of law applies to Trump.  That's a dangerous assumption.

He can interfere all he wants. He can't stop the IRS from complying with a Congressional subpoena.

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He can interfere all he wants. He can't stop the IRS from complying with a Congressional subpoena.

Sure he can.  He's the IRS' employees' boss.  He tells them not to comply with the subpoena.  Who's going to enforce the subpoena?  The Kavanaugh court that the GOP bought?

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

With reference to Trump, it doesn't matter. Congress is going to subpoena his tax returns from the IRS and there isn't a thing he can do about it.

Clearly Trump has bigger problems than Congress legislating that future candidates disclose prior tax records. 

For the rest of the civilized population, it's good to have that requirement before they ever get to the WH and wage war with Executive weaponry.

Doesn't matter.  He'll run, refuse to comply, and a 5-4 SCOTUS will side with him.
Next question?
And he'll use the controversy as a talking point that the Trumpkins will stroke and gobble.

"They want to see my returns. Which are the best, cleanest returns ever. But I'm being audited because Obama forced the IRS to illegally investigate me. And they want your tax returns next. So the caravan can get your SSNs, steal your citizenship, deport & replace you with drug dealing brown rapists while turning frogs gay."

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ dude, enough.  They aren't the fucking majority.  End.  Of.  Discussion.

They'll continue to be the majority in Texas and numerous other states.  They'll continue to be the majority in almost all law enforcement organizations.  Y'all think an election or two cures us of a cancer that has been in hyper-growth mode for 30 years?  Texas will be doubling and tripling down on Trumpism in the coming decade.  We'll yearn for the wise and reasoned stewardship of Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, and Sid Miller.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Sure he can.  He's the IRS' employees' boss.  He tells them not to comply with the subpoena.  Who's going to enforce the subpoena?  The Kavanaugh court that the GOP bought?

Congress will hold the IRS chief in contempt and every court in America, including the Supreme Court, will side with Congress. This is easy. It's not even a separation of powers issue. It's a layup.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump is the part of the tumor that's at the surface, oozing its disgusting filth.

The cancer is Trumpism, the GOP that enabled it and happily collaborated with our enemies in the process, and the 30-40% of our population that went along with it.  If you just cut off the exposed part of the tumor, you don't cure shit.

Make.  The rubble.  BOUNCE.

I live in your prospective rubble.  So do you.  

I'll take a pass on making it bounce.  

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

a Baby Boomer dies every 19.1 seconds, or about 4,500 a day. 22% are already dead, so about 66MM are still alive. 

At this point I'm rooting for Type II Diabetes 

• Like 1

They'll continue to be the majority in Texas and numerous other states.  They'll continue to be the majority in almost all law enforcement organizations.  Y'all think an election or two cures us of a cancer that has been in hyper-growth mode for 30 years?  Texas will be doubling and tripling down on Trumpism in the coming decade.  We'll yearn for the wise and reasoned stewardship of Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, and Sid Miller.

Texas will be blue before that ever happens.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're not going to get rid of the cancer that is Trumpism.  We're going to die from it.  

Trumpism isn’t something new to Western Civilization and it will never be completely eradicated.  We’ve always had to fight it off when it flares up.  It always ends in defeated eventually because it is self destructive nihilism in its purist form. 

The current unknown is the ultimate cost of treatment.  However, at this point, I think it’s safe to say we’re looking at a very high price. 

Minimizing the collateral damage that will come when the consequences are fully realized should be a priority instead of the “woe is us” shtick.

JMO

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

I live in your prospective rubble.  So do you.  

I'll take a pass on making it bounce.  

Ever seen a chemo patient slammed with brutal treatment till he's within a millimeter of death?  That's how you cure a cancer like this.  It's fucking ugly as shit.  The treatment MAY kill the patient.  But not getting the treatment will DEFINITELY kill the patient.

Congress will hold the IRS chief in contempt and every court in America, including the Supreme Court, will side with Congress. This is easy. It's not even a separation of powers issue. It's a layup.

Reed O'Connor says hi.

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trumpism isn’t something new to Western Civilization and it will never be completely eradicated.  We’ve always had to fight it off when it flares up.  It always ends in defeated eventually because it is self destructive nihilism in its purist form. 

The current unknown is the ultimate cost of treatment.  However, at this point, I think it’s safe to say we’re looking at a very high price. 

Minimizing the collateral damage that will come when the consequences are fully realized should be a priority instead of the “woe is us” shtick.

JMO

I don't disagree with that.  And I'm not trying to sell a "woe is us" -- really, I'm not.  I just don't think that folks have grasped how high the price we're going to have to pay will be....and I fear that they'll balk and avoid it when payment time comes.  We need to steel ourselves for some serious shit.  Because that's what it's going to take.

I don't disagree with that.  And I'm not trying to sell a "woe is us" -- really, I'm not.  I just don't think that folks have grasped how high the price we're going to have to pay will be....and I fear that they'll balk and avoid it when payment time comes.  We need to steel ourselves for some serious shit.  Because that's what it's going to take.

Like what?

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The cancer doesn't need to be cured.  I am merely pushing back against your 100% fatalism.  There are plenty of end games that don't end in the near-term demise of the Republic, despite your insistence to the contrary.

For starters, I dispute the certainty with which you believe that the military and law enforcement would side with Trumpists should this come to a real head.  That's a fool's perspective.

Like what?

Economic collapse.  Another Great Depression (not by the initial economic crisis, but by our utter inability to deal with it).  Serious civil unrest and violence.  Charlottesville and Pittsburgh, turned up to 11 by enraged Trumpkins and Q-bots who are watching their dream die.  And, of course, my dark horse -- a serious war, possibly involving a nuclear exchange, that DOTUS just stumbles into on the way down.  For starters.  And just layer on the price paid that we can never recover -- we are never getting our position back before either our allies or enemies.  Our diminished power and influence will be permanent, and the ripples from that will run deep, and last a long time.