Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s not either or and at least Paul and McConnell own their evil.

Romney and Flake are trying to slip it in the backdoor without even buying me a drink.

I don’t give a fuck about their OpEds and furrowed brows and statements of concern if they’re going to turn around and vote in lockstep with Trump.

That’s nothing but lipstick on a pig.

Romney is fine with the end results of all Trump’s actions - he just wants him to wash his mouth out with soap and obfuscate his intentions with platitudes to make it all more palatable.

Nah, fuck that. At the end of the day there’s literally no difference between Paul and McConnell and Romney and Flake. They all fall in line for Trump no matter what they say.

You’re still missing the big picture. 

The weapons of political warfare are rhetoric and influence.  Voting records don’t mean shit in this theater.

Trump and his sycophants like Paul and McConnell wield these weapons upon the population to distort reality, destroy objective truth, and consolidate power by suppressing dissent. 

Romney and Flake have yet to engage in these practices.  That doesn’t make them saints but there is a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If there's a 2020 thread I'm going to fucking lose it.  We are 2 days into this year and I already fucking hate him worse than I thought possible.  What the fuck is wrong with us?  Seriously, what went wrong?  These are rhetorical questions.

The Democrats nominated the most polarizing woman in America. I know plenty of people who hate Trump but voted for him because his opponent was Hillary Clinton.

I’m not missing any picture.

Rhetoric means literally nothing when dealing with people who reply “fake news” to anything they don’t want to hear. Do you really believe that trumpkins will be swayed by anything Romney wrote in that OpEd?

They won’t.

He will vote in lockstep with Trump. He only wrote those words so he can claim some kind of moral high ground.

Romney only has an issue with Trump’s packaging and delivery. He’s totally fine with his actions and policy agenda.

I’m not good with either.

Trump is slinging shit on my front porch.

Romney is slinging shit wrapped in pretty paper and ribbons on my porch.

They’re both slinging shit, no matter how much Romney wants to try and sell his as “normal”.

Romney is just noise.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m not missing any picture.

Rhetoric means literally nothing when dealing with people who reply “fake news” to anything they don’t want to hear. Do you really believe that trumpkins will be swayed by anything Romney wrote in that OpEd?

They won’t.

He will vote in lockstep with Trump. He only wrote those words so he can claim some kind of moral high ground.

Romney only has an issue with Trump’s packaging and delivery. He’s totally fine with his actions and policy agenda.

I’m not good with either.

Trump is slinging shit on my front porch.

Romney is slinging shit wrapped in pretty paper and ribbons on my porch.

They’re both slinging shit, no matter how much Romney wants to try and sell his as “normal”.

Romney is just noise.

The only way out of this is to sway public opinion among enough Republicans that Trump’s brand of politics is bad for America and offer them an alternative. 

How do you suppose that happens? 

The leaders have to start speaking out.  Romney voting against Trump will not help the situation.  Romney defecting will not help the situation.

You can hate on Romney and his ilk all you want and there are plenty of good reasons.  He’s not trying to persuade you to his side.  He’s trying to repair the damage to his party.  

We can sit back and laugh as the GOP tears itself apart, if we’re lucky.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

I'm not applauding Romney for courage for doing the bare minimum an elected official is supposed to do.  I know we're well down the rabbit hole.  But an op ed is the very least our elected officials are supposed to be doing when the president is acting with less common decency than my cat's shits. 

He says such "controversial" stuff as "It includes political parties promoting policies that strengthen us rather than promote tribalism by exploiting fear and resentment. Our leaders must defend our vital institutions despite their inevitable failings: a free press, the rule of law, strong churches, and responsible corporations and unions." 

"I will support policies that I believe are in the best interest of the country and my state, and oppose those that are not. I do not intend to comment on every tweet or fault. But I will speak out against significant statements or actions that are divisive, racist, sexist, anti-immigrant, dishonest or destructive to democratic institutions."

The only thing controversial about the Romney op ed is that other elected officials think such pablum is somehow controversial.

The Democrats will be fine if they block then attack Trump and let him recoil into madness. Then clean house re Russia. 

Clean fair elections = a blue wave. 

Stop blaming Hillary, the election was stolen. We will find out later to what degree. I'm betting states systems were flat out hacked.

• Fuck You 1

Pretty much any democrat can and should win, except Bernie and Hillary. Even though they would win, it'll be problematic with those  two. The past is the past, and the past is dirty. Only Biden is unscathed. 

I want a millennial fav with star power. That'll sweep those old dirty bastards in the GOP out of office. If u want to drain the swamp you'll need true idealists with fresh appeal and the unsullied reputation of a do gooder. Personally, I like Leslie Knope from Pawnee Indiana.

• Fuck You 1

It’s not going to burn down until they’re divided. Romney’s op-Ed moved the ball closer to dividing them.  I’m okay with that.

Who did it divide?

Show me one Trumpkin it persuaded.

I can show you hundreds of attacks on Romney from Trumpkins. I’ve yet to see anyone who wasn’t already against Trump be moved by anything Romney/Flake/McCain etc. have said.

They just get called “cuck, lib, deep state, traitor” by the yokels.

And then they still vote for everything Trump wants.

I’m not full Brisket yet but there’s no persuading the 35%. And my dad is in that number. Those people have to be written off and quarantined.

I’m not exaggerating when I say Trump could say the sky is green and they would look at the blue sky and say “Yeah, looks sort of greenish. I see what he means.”

They’re comfortable in their bubble of manufactured victimization and ignorance. They refuse to acknowledge reality. No point in telling them. Just let them scream into the void and die off of diabetes and heart disease and opioid overdoses.

Or they can move to Russia.
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Who did it divide?

Show me one Trumpkin it persuaded.

I can show you hundreds of attacks on Romney from Trumpkins. I’ve yet to see anyone who wasn’t already against Trump be moved by anything Romney/Flake/McCain etc. have said.

They just get called “cuck, lib, deep state, traitor” by the yokels.

And then they still vote for everything Trump wants.

I’m not full Brisket yet but there’s no persuading the 35%. And my dad is in that number. Those people have to be written off and quarantined.

I’m not exaggerating when I say Trump could say the sky is green and they would look at the blue sky and say “Yeah, looks sort of greenish. I see what he means.”

They’re comfortable in their bubble of manufactured victimization and ignorance. They refuse to acknowledge reality. No point in telling them. Just let them scream into the void and die off of diabetes and heart disease and opioid overdoses.

Or they can move to Russia.

How did the Republican Party become the Party of Trump?  

THEY WERE DIVIDED

Different factions preaching different messages. The Tea Party vs Establishment. The evangelicals vs the intellectuals. 

This is going to be a process.

It isn’t going to happen over night or even a year, but it will happen because it always does.

Better sooner than later IMO.

The more Trumpy the GOP gets, the worse it will be for all of us down the road because we will have to deal with their aftermath.  

We’re on the same team but I guess the difference is I still think the damage could be reduced.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The only way out of this is to sway public opinion among enough Republicans that Trump’s brand of politics is bad for America and offer them an alternative. 

How do you suppose that happens? 

It’s NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. 

The GOP is Trumpism. Whatever principles they used to have are long gone. This is who they are, and it’s never going to return to normal. 

You know why? Because tens of millions of people - including me - will never forgive the Republican Party for their actions and disingenuousness. These people have made their bed and will lie in it whether they like it or not. There’s no acceptable party or platform for them to go to.

The only way out of this is mortality. The olds dying off will weaken the GOP where it will barely be able to survive in 30-40 years.  Maybe in 50 years the Democratic Party will split into to two parties to balance things out again. 

• Like 4

Draining the swamp. 

You know....it’s actually so fucking absurd that it’s really fucking funny. It’s as if he promised to be the best fireman ever, and all he’s done is lit the whole world on fire.
And his base eats it up because they’re idiot cultists, pure and simple.

6 hours ago, TornACL said:

I just realized something. 

I don't think in all the pee tape / dossier stuff it ever confirmed that the Russian prostitutes were female.... 

NTTAWWT of course. But the alternative would be great for the lulz

Well, his bodyguard did testify that Trump was offered five women during a visit to Moscow in 2013 for a meeting about the Miss Universe pageant. But come on, Trump's history as a womanizer is well known. And it's not like we've ever seen him grope Don Jr. 

Trump-Ivanka-Weird-Awkward-Ogle.jpg

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The leaders have to start speaking out.  Romney voting against Trump will not help the situation.  Romney defecting will not help the situation.

Romney voting against Trump would help make it okay for other Republican Senators to do the same.  

More importantly, having tangible action within the Senate by a Republican voting against Trump starts a true dialogue within the GOP.  Not this bullshit we’ve been getting from Flake, etc. where they talk a good talk, but then get in line when told to.   Actual consequences   

With the nuclear option being taken off the table by Turtle, Romney voting against Trump may not seem as important, since they still need D votes, but it’s still going to cause Trump to lose his shit.  

Short term, Trumpkins will also lose their shit and scream and moan about Romney and anybody in that vein.  Long term, Romney could, if he chose to, try and shape the more moderate faction of the GOP.  

Let Trump have his 35%. He and his 35% weren’t good enough to keep a hold of WI, PA, MI, and AZ two months ago.  

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You know why? Because tens of millions of people - including me - will never forgive the Republican Party for their actions and disingenuousness

I honestly cannot say what it would take to get me back within the GOP.  Maybe 10-20 years of space after the end of Trump’s control of the GOP.

More importantly for the GOP, they are turning off a helluva lot of young people.  A helluva lot.

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

It’s NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. 

The GOP is Trumpism. Whatever principles they used to have are long gone. This is who they are, and it’s never going to return to normal. 

You know why? Because tens of millions of people - including me - will never forgive the Republican Party for their actions and disingenuousness. These people have made their bed and will lie in it whether they like it or not. There’s no acceptable party or platform for them to go to.

The only way out of this is mortality. The olds dying off will weaken the GOP where it will barely be able to survive in 30-40 years.  Maybe in 50 years the Democratic Party will split into to two parties to balance things out again. 

It will happen.  Americans are great at getting selective amnesia.  The GOP is the never ending con. They will just move beyond Trumpism to something worse. 

Unless they start moving to the center, which will also be a con.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Romney voting against Trump would help make it okay for other Republican Senators to do the same.  

More importantly, having tangible action within the Senate by a Republican voting against Trump starts a true dialogue within the GOP.  Not this bullshit we’ve been getting from Flake, etc. where they talk a good talk, but then get in line when told to.   Actual consequences   

With the nuclear option being taken off the table by Turtle, Romney voting against Trump may not seem as important, since they still need D votes, but it’s still going to cause Trump to lose his shit.  

Short term, Trumpkins will also lose their shit and scream and moan about Romney and anybody in that vein.  Long term, Romney could, if he chose to, try and shape the more moderate faction of the GOP.  

Let Trump have his 35%. He and his 35% weren’t good enough to keep a hold of WI, PA, MI, and AZ two months ago.  

He's not going to vote against him. He's already said he'd vote for the wall and he'll vote for his agenda but with a grimace, or something like that. It's all words and posturing, but in the end he'll vote with the GOP. Nothing new. 

Just heard Pelosi on NBC say that one of her reasons for opposing the wall is that “it says the wrong thing about who we are as a people.”

I assume most of the majority posters on this thread also agree with this statement. I’d appreciate hearing your perspective on why this is a reasonable viewpoint.

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Just heard Pelosi on NBC say that one of her reasons for opposing the wall is that “it says the wrong thing about who we are as a people.”

I assume most of the majority posters on this thread also agree with this statement. I’d appreciate hearing your perspective on why this is a reasonable viewpoint.

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you don’t understand that position, there isn’t anything any of us will be able to do to help you.

• Like 5

If we want to spend billions of dollars on a stupid and futile symbolic gesture, can we just build a giant concrete wall (a cube even) around the Statue of Liberty?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

We’re approaching the moment in time where democrats come to the realization that it will be more advantageous for their party and the country not to remove Donald Trump.

We are also approaching the moment in time where Republicans come to the realization they need to reprogram their propaganda machines and ditch Trump if they want more political power in the future.

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

He's not going to vote against him. He's already said he'd vote for the wall and he'll vote for his agenda but with a grimace, or something like that. It's all words and posturing, but in the end he'll vote with the GOP. Nothing new. 

Sure, his campaign slogan is basically "Trump, but without all the batshit crazy."  It's why his op-ed is focused completely on "character," instead of policy.  He applauds taking a hardline with China on trade.  Hell, he even gives a shout out to unions. 

To me what is significant about the op-ed is that it is a strong sign that Romney is staking out a position as the Plan B for the GOP.  Plan A is that Trump will weather the Mueller Report with some political viability, and will carry the banner in 2020.  But Republicans have to consider the possibility that the Mueller report will be completely cripple Trump as viable candidate.  Romney certainly is. At a time when Democratic politicians are deciding whether to throw their hats in the ring, Romney has clearly decided to draw attention to himself as a potential replacement to Trump.  He's not going to do shit other than be another Flake/Sasse/Corker if Trump still looks viable in 6 months.  But, even though vultures don't attack, it's generally not a good sign if several of them are circling you in the desert. 

Edited by Tuco
  • Like 6

You know....it’s actually so fucking absurd that it’s really fucking funny. It’s as if he promised to be the best fireman ever, and all he’s done is lit the whole world on fire.
And his base eats it up because they’re idiot cultists, pure and simple.

worst-fireman-ever-throws-fire-everywhere-1384108849m.gif
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

tour_img-739075-148.jpg

• Like 5