2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

On 1/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, longhorn10 said:

We're back? Huge, if true.

Kidding....lots of buzz around HQ about it. I think we've finally broken through with the driver and it's helping big. J

ust wait until the new ProV drops in a couple weeks....

If any of you assholes in Massachusetts this year, let me know.

You'll never need to worry about the ball count. But to take the driver count from tm is impressive. To sweep everything else is shocking.  I love it. Golf is better when Titleist is making good stuff. 

TS3 could finally pry the 913 out of my hands. 

7 hours ago, huge said:

With Memorial Park now closed how do I transfer my GHIN?

Any experience with this?

You need to pick another course to have it hosted by. Could just join their men's league or whatever, but your ghin has to be associated with a course. Even if you never play there. 

15 hours ago, pops said:

You need to pick another course to have it hosted by. Could just join their men's league or whatever, but your ghin has to be associated with a course. Even if you never play there. 

This is what I had to do.  Wildcrap it is!

We dropped our new Slate Blue wedges today. https://www.vokey.com/product/WM104.html#utm_source=titleist&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=titleist_web&utm_content=slate_blue_hero

More $ but less wear as you see on the black finish. More custom options. This week is only going to get better. Be sure to tune into our PGA Show intro feature 8:45am Wednesday.

• Like 1

This past Friday I shot an 87 at the Tournament Course at Golf Club of Houston from the blue tees (first tee box from the tournament tips). I have been playing like shit and my handicap was on the verge of hitting 14. With that one round it will go down to a 12 unless I post some higher rounds by the end of the month. It sucks how easy your handicap can come down vs how slow it goes up.

• Like 1

We dropped our new Slate Blue wedges today. https://www.vokey.com/product/WM104.html#utm_source=titleist&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=titleist_web&utm_content=slate_blue_hero

More $ but less wear as you see on the black finish. More custom options. This week is only going to get better. Be sure to tune into our PGA Show intro feature 8:45am Wednesday.

Cool story bro.

(Just kidding those are sick)

22 hours ago, longhorn10 said:

It's pretty awesome that you got into big time golf on the business side.  Really looking forward to seeing your thoughts on Titlest v. competition across the board when everything comes out.

Caveat, I'm a bit of a data nerd.

So got a full bag fitting at Club Champion today, and holy fuck, that was awesome. Going back next weekend to try one more driver head (Cobra F9) he didn't have in stock just yet, and do fairway woods, but my question for you is around putters.

He ended up suggesting I roll with my current SC Futura X5R, but getting a lighter grip and adding weight to the sole, as well as cutting down 1/2". He said I should look for a new sole plate to add weight, to which I asked:

JSB "Do you mean changing the removable weights?"

Mike "Well, you could do that too, it may be cheaper than changing the sole plate, they are expensive on discontinued models, but I can't get it from Titleist"

So after looking around, I didn't know you could change the sole plate to add weight, and can't seem to figure out where to find them. Any ideas? Are some of the plates interchangeable between a few years? Did he get confused?  I'll clarify when I go back, but I would like to go with a "Did you mean something like this, or this" type question. 

Highly recommend it, Mike Rausch did an awesome job for me. Nothing on order yet, as I want to price it out to my club, but he put me in P790 irons with a KBS Tour V shaft, PXG 0811x gen2 driver with Aldilia Rogue Elite green 65 shaft, and Cleveland RTX-4 wedges thus far. The irons have added 10 yards, driver 20, both with a much more consistent dispersion. The wedges, we will see, but they felt great off the mat. I may just order one of those first to see how they do on grass. I don't hit a full wedge often, mostly around the green, but I did learn, I've got a stupid wide sole on the 58* I use the most.

Golf clubs have gotten so much harder since your options were brand, R/S/XS, and that was about it.

• Like 1

Cool! Sounds like you enjoyed the Club Champion experience as much as I did. I’d like to do it again later this year just for the fuck of it. I don’t need new clubs for another 5+ years, but I liked the process of seeing how different equipment reacted to my swing.

I’m planning on going into CC for a fitting focused on hybrids. I’m a little sheepish to do so because my swing isn’t quite where I want it. I hit a draw with my 7-wedges, a straight flight with my 6 and sometimes 5, and then hit a slight cut with my 3-4 irons. Ideally I play a draw with every club, at least that’s the shot I want to play. Is the fact that I don’t have my swing exactly how I want it with the longer clubs going to potentially put me in a club that I can’t hit when I do get my swing exactly how I want it? I feel like this happened to me with my driver a few years ago and I have it in my head that I would have selected a different driver under different conditions. 

14 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’m planning on going into CC for a fitting focused on hybrids. I’m a little sheepish to do so because my swing isn’t quite where I want it. I hit a draw with my 7-wedges, a straight flight with my 6 and sometimes 5, and then hit a slight cut with my 3-4 irons. Ideally I play a draw with every club, at least that’s the shot I want to play. Is the fact that I don’t have my swing exactly how I want it with the longer clubs going to potentially put me in a club that I can’t hit when I do get my swing exactly how I want it? I feel like this happened to me with my driver a few years ago and I have it in my head that I would have selected a different driver under different conditions. 

My swing is never quite how I want it. If it was, I would be a plus handicap. I was just looking for something better than the set I'm playing, and to learn a lot about how I'm swinging. What I found out was my current clubs, while decent on their own, were no where close to what I needed, so I'm glad I went. After I get these new ones, I can change my swing to what works with those clubs as I go, and as my swing changes. No one's swings are stagnant, it is always going to change a bit. I say do it if you are playing averagely. If you are in a complete, and temporary funk, I would put it off. 

They made it very clear to me that I should not be working on my swing coming in. You want it to be consistent and you will be fitted to THAT swing if it is. If you intend on changing your swing in the nearish future, I wouldn’t suggest you buy based on a CC fitting.

My guy told me I was a good candidate for fitting because I was able to be consistent through the whole bag. I certainly hit a lot of bad shots but we were able to throw those away and have enough good ones to work with.

I had a buddy go through and they decided mid session to reschedule because he couldn’t be consistent enough that day

• Like 1

Be careful not to hit a big bucket of balls the day before, and don’t warm up too much the day of (they give you time to warm up there fwiw), because you will hit A LOT of balls during the session and you don’t want exhaustion or soreness to come into play

On 1/26/2019 at 9:46 PM, JSB said:

He ended up suggesting I roll with my current SC Futura X5R, but getting a lighter grip and adding weight to the sole, as well as cutting down 1/2". He said I should look for a new sole plate to add weight, to which I asked:

JSB "Do you mean changing the removable weights?"

Mike "Well, you could do that too, it may be cheaper than changing the sole plate, they are expensive on discontinued models, but I can't get it from Titleist"

So after looking around, I didn't know you could change the sole plate to add weight, and can't seem to figure out where to find them. Any ideas? Are some of the plates interchangeable between a few years? Did he get confused?  I'll clarify when I go back, but I would like to go with a "Did you mean something like this, or this" type question. 

SP11GLFWRKHDLDTP_is

My first "eagle" was on a par 5 that had the tee box under repair so it played more like a really long par 4.

Felt much better after I made a sandy eagle in Vegas at a bachelor party, jarring my 52 from 110.  Top 10 moment of my sad life.

I remember them all...

Bluebonnet, tap-in on par 5 #12
UT Golf Club, hole out from fairway on par 4 #18
Crystal Falls, hole out from fairway on par 5 #18
Teravista, tap-in on par 5 #16
Teravista, chip-in on par 5 #16
Riverplace, 10’ putt on drive-able par 4 #15

No hole-in-ones though

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I remember them all...

Bluebonnet, tap-in on par 5 #12
UT Golf Club, hole out from fairway on par 4 #18
Crystal Falls, hole out from fairway on par 5 #18
Teravista, tap-in on par 5 #16
Teravista, chip-in on par 5 #16
Riverplace, 10’ putt on drive-able par 4 #15

No hole-in-ones though

I don't have a ton of them, probably ~10, but I only vividly remember about half of them.  I definitely remember the 2 kick-ins from 3" though:  #2 at Crenshaw BCCC & #7 at Forest Creek.  The hole-in-one is still elusive for me.

Ive had 2 aces in my life, and carded my first eagle of 2019 last Sunday on the par 5 7th at Cypresswood Tradition.   Greens are not good right now though.  Had a fungus in the fall finally dried out enough to treat it then more rain and then turned cold.  Cypress course greens are good right now though if it ever stops raining 

23 hours ago, Horn21 said:

I don't have a ton of them, probably ~10, but I only vividly remember about half of them.  I definitely remember the 2 kick-ins from 3" though:  #2 at Crenshaw BCCC & #7 at Forest Creek.  The hole-in-one is still elusive for me.

You almost took care of that at Mo Willy #8 today.

12 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

What is the this leaving the flag stick in while putting heresy?

I'm already annoyed by golfers who take it out.  Faldo said records will fall because of it and because players may now repair spike marks.

I'm already annoyed by golfers who take it out.  Faldo said records will fall because of it and because players may now repair spike marks.

I would think so. Don’t know how often spike marks came into play, but the pin is definitely going to help drop some putts

Atta boy shank! The big bird is always fun. Lurch...need a story of the eagle on UTGC #18. That’s a big boy par 4 and one of my favorite finishing holes ever. 

One of my favorite golf stories...

Rick Barnes charity scramble. We started on back so it was one of our early holes.

We had a lady with us that could hit fairly straight, so it allowed the three of us guys to just go all out on our drives “just in case we accidentally hit one square”. I busted one to 165 yards* from the pin just on the right edge of the fairway.

Second shot is uphill and I hit an absolute laser 6 iron right on the flag, but we can’t see the green. When we went up and saw the green empty of balls (more on that later) I did that thing where you go check all the grass behind the green looking for your ball but hoping you don’t find it... except this time I really didn’t find it! Went to the pin and saw I had indeed holed out for an unassisted eagle.

So, this tourney was PACKED and they made it a par-is-your-friend scramble, which of course sucks. It was during these first few holes that we realized none of us had an iron game and we couldn’t hit greens, meaning we pretty much had to chip in to score.

We LITERALLY did not drop a SINGLE putt the whole day. We finished -2 for dead ass last!

*What’s wild, too, is that my other eagle hole out (on Crystal Falls par 5 #18) was ALSO 165 yards.

Doing some experimenting with my gear. My jpx900s are on DGS400 (130g+) shafts. I bought a set of 120g Tour Issue DGs, and am having just the 8i swapped out. My old bones just can't move it as fast as I used to, so hoping this helps me find a few yards. Going to experiment with a Titleist driver, so getting my TourAd-Di6s fitted with the TS2 adapter. And putting the AD-Di 85Hy shaft into the new Titlelist hybrid I bought a few weeks back from the demo rack at Forest Creek. Throwing lots of good money after bad, I fear :).