2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

18 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Doing some experimenting with my gear. My jpx900s are on DGS400 (130g+) shafts. I bought a set of 120g Tour Issue DGs, and am having just the 8i swapped out. My old bones just can't move it as fast as I used to, so hoping this helps me find a few yards. Going to experiment with a Titleist driver, so getting my TourAd-Di6s fitted with the TS2 adapter. And putting the AD-Di 85Hy shaft into the new Titlelist hybrid I bought a few weeks back from the demo rack at Forest Creek. Throwing lots of good money after bad, I fear :).

I take it you don't want the shafts from my MP-57s?

On 2/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, Goofyboy said:

New rules. Moose out front shoulda told ya.

On 2/2/2019 at 9:18 AM, HouTex said:

I'm already annoyed by golfers who take it out.  Faldo said records will fall because of it and because players may now repair spike marks.

On 2/2/2019 at 10:08 AM, Lurch said:

I would think so. Don’t know how often spike marks came into play, but the pin is definitely going to help drop some putts

It'll definitely help me on putting. What is the purpose of the new rule? Speed up the round?

27 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

It'll definitely help me on putting. What is the purpose of the new rule? Speed up the round?

Yes, I understand it's to speed up play.  It's not just for your own group on the green having to deal with the flag, but the group behind you can laser the flag and get the right club while the group ahead is putting and be ready to hit as soon they leave the green.   Those minutes add up over a round.   

Ok, back to Club Champion. Finished my fitting, and am getting ready to order a set of P790s. CC tells me that manufacturers really suck at putting clubs together, so when they get them, they tear them down, and rebuild them exactly to the specs I was fitted for. My question is, do manufacturers truly suck at putting clubs together or is CC just trying to upsell me??

Between the discount I get at my Club, and the cost CC is going to charge to rebuild each iron, I could get them for $50 cheaper per iron from my Club. CC also suggests getting them pured, which would add another $30 per stick.   

1 hour ago, JSB said:

Ok, back to Club Champion. Finished my fitting, and am getting ready to order a set of P790s. CC tells me that manufacturers really suck at putting clubs together, so when they get them, they tear them down, and rebuild them exactly to the specs I was fitted for. My question is, do manufacturers truly suck at putting clubs together or is CC just trying to upsell me??

Between the discount I get at my Club, and the cost CC is going to charge to rebuild each iron, I could get them for $50 cheaper per iron from my Club. CC also suggests getting them pured, which would add another $30 per stick.   

order them from you club.  Agreed with lurch on the bullshitish.

There have been many mistakes.  But not enough to warrant the extra $ that CC charges.  That said, once you get your new ones i would take them to a golf galaxy,  pga Superstore or whatever is near and have the lie and loft checked on each club.  I have personally seen up to 2 degrees difference in loft from what specs are. 

Does anyone else have an issue with ball flight that’s too high? I’m assuming this has something to do with my hand position at impact. I know that high ball flight is in most cases considered a good thing, but I feel like I’m losing a lot of distance from my driver all the way down to wedges.

Correct. You’re almost certainly casting. If so, you’re losing a ton of distance because of increased loft on clubface and decreased smash factor (ie, you’re not compressing the ball at impact). Avg tour player decreases natural loft on their club by 30%. Most amateurs actually ADD loft at impact. At impact your hips should be open 45* and your hands are past where your left hip was at address. You’ll notice that to square your club face from here you have to dramatically rotate the club counter clockwise (otherwise it’s wide open). This is the move you have to make when starting your downswing that gets you in position to have proper shaft lean. This is “lag” and you’ll be releasing all of this lag at a point about 4’ in front of your ball.

It’s a lot of work to correct this, but well worth the effort imo. I highly recommend Top Speed Golf website and their videos, many of which you can find for free on YouTube, and/or sign up for their emails and they’ll sent links to several free ones a week.

The feeling when you properly compress (don’t mistake this for hitting down on the ball) an iron is completely different than what you feel now. Once you get a few of them flush and see the dramatic distance differences (15-20 yards with irons) you’ll be hooked like me in wanting to master hitting this way all of the time.

• Like 3

Does anyone else have an issue with ball flight that’s too high? I’m assuming this has something to do with my hand position at impact. I know that high ball flight is in most cases considered a good thing, but I feel like I’m losing a lot of distance from my driver all the way down to wedges.

I have the opposite problem. I play between 6” off the grass and 6’.

I guess this could go in the pga thread but I’ll ask here. I’m wanting to go to the dell match play in Austin in March and stay Wednesday-Saturday. Would staying somewhere in Cedar Park or Round be a bad idea? 

Just plan on an hour traffic, but otherwise the hotels will be mostly new and food options plentiful

1 hour ago, Southernthunder said:

I guess this could go in the pga thread but I’ll ask here. I’m wanting to go to the dell match play in Austin in March and stay Wednesday-Saturday. Would staying somewhere in Cedar Park or Round be a bad idea? 

Stay wherever and uber or take the shuttles they have set up. If staying in Round Rock, shuttle runs from the Domain

• 2 weeks later...

I went and got fitted for a putter today.  I'd been using a Scotty Cameron Newport Studio my wife bought me for Christmas in 2005.  I loved it, but thought it might be fun to see how well it fit me.  

Come to find out I had a much greater putting  arc to my stroke than I thought, and ended up with a Bettinardi Queen Bee no 9.  Holy fuck does it make a difference.  Even my bad putts today ended up within reasonable make distance, and my lines were generally far closer to what I intended.   

Tldr: get your putter fitted for your stroke.  It makes a difference

• 2 weeks later...
All of the above... just NFI what I was doing on the day and couldn't fix it.

Yeah, there’s lost and then there’s 40 years in the desert! When I’m off on putting, I usually look at ONE of those, with alignment tied together with roll. Not sure what I’d do if that far gone, though. Perhaps switch to a foreign grip (left hand low or claw) for the rest of the round. A lot of people see instant (but often short-lived) results when switching grips or dramatically different putters

Need some help.  Have Whistling Straits and Erin Hills booked for Memorial Day.  Saturday night we are going to stay near Whistling for our 7:30am round.  Where should we stay?  At Erin we have a cabin because it is on the course and is part of the experience.  The properties at Whistling are 20 minutes from the course and I don't want to spend $1k+ for a 20 minute drive.

Any recommendations are very helpful.  I see a Airbnb by Cleveland, WI just 5 minutes north, but am unsure if we can get a good steak and a good buzz up there the night before our round.

Thoughts??

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Need some help.  Have Whistling Straits and Erin Hills booked for Memorial Day.  Saturday night we are going to stay near Whistling for our 7:30am round.  Where should we stay?  At Erin we have a cabin because it is on the course and is part of the experience.  The properties at Whistling are 20 minutes from the course and I don't want to spend $1k+ for a 20 minute drive.

Any recommendations are very helpful.  I see a Airbnb by Cleveland, WI just 5 minutes north, but am unsure if we can get a good steak and a good buzz up there the night before our round.

Thoughts??

Curious to hear how your trip goes. I'm going with a group and staying at Whistling Straits 3 nights in June. We're only playing the four courses at the resort though. Wisconsin seems like a strong summer golf destination with Whistling Straits, Erin Hills, Sand Valley and Lawsonia all having a good reputation.

Booked a house 4 miles north of Straits.  Figure we'll just get a reservation at the course for dinner the night before.  With the tee time being early I doubt we party hard that night.

One thing I realized about Straits is that the Kohler properties are all 20 minutes away from the course.  They are closer to other Kohler courses though.  We were willing to pay up for an immersive experience but without being able to walk out onto the course like we will be at Erin we are just doing AirBnb for the last night.

Late May sounds like a good time but the average high and low is 69-49.  Sounds like I'm going to get new rain gear out of this deal as well.  Here is a question for those listening at home... We have 3 out of 4 guys in.  I could invite my 3rd business partner and we could expense the trip.  However, he isn't really a close friend like the other two in the group.  Money isn't a worry for those that are going but it is always nice to not have to shell out $2k for a trip.  So... do we invite the 3rd partner and save the coin or do we preserve the integrity of the golf trip to avoid work talk and keep the personalities in line with a great group?

Finally did it. Been wanting to get into golf for a while now. Had some second-hand clubs given to me as a birthday gift a couple years back, started hitting at the range occasionally, got a handful of lessons last Fall.  And joined some buddies for my first real round of golf ever last Saturday.

36 holes at Kingwood later (Lake, then Island), I'd call my entree a success. Had my fair share of whiffs, chunks, duffs, you name its, but I did hit some decent shots. Even had the best drive in the group a couple times (definitely not the furthest though). I was paired with the best player in our group in a shamble so I didn't keep my score too diligently since I didn't really finish a lot of the holes (it was 6-person group so had to keep the pace quick).

I have a lot of room for improvement obviously, and was definitely a bit nervous at first but it was still a lot fun. I hope I can start to gain some consistency with swing and impact and start getting out there more often.

• Like 6

Just ordered a set of the new ping blueprint irons. Not a club ho like I used to be. Replacing a set of vrpro blades that I've had for about 6 years. These new pings look great. 

First real trip scheduled for bandon the week after the final 4. Won't have the new sticks, but bandon is bandon. 

21 hours ago, pops said:

Just ordered a set of the new ping blueprint irons. Not a club ho like I used to be. Replacing a set of vrpro blades that I've had for about 6 years. These new pings look great. 

First real trip scheduled for bandon the week after the final 4. Won't have the new sticks, but bandon is bandon. 

Nice... heading to Bandon next week so I'll make sure it's in good shape for you

Nice... heading to Bandon next week so I'll make sure it's in good shape for you

You should bring a half bottle of Jameson’s and refill the treasure chest on 10 fairway.

Also take a pic of yourself with the Bandon Shoe at the Inn and post it here.

Lots of great lore over just under 20 years since it opened.