2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

Clean sweep across the board again for Titleist at the Valspar. TS project is the real deal. Haven't seen the report from the Match Play yet. Anyone playing the Yellow Pro V1/X yet? Also, our Loyalty Rewarded program is going on right now, great deal. Buy 3 dozen get 1 free.

Edited by longhorn10

You should bring a half bottle of Jameson’s and refill the treasure chest on 10 fairway.

Also take a pic of yourself with the Bandon Shoe at the Inn and post it here.

Lots of great lore over just under 20 years since it opened.

688dab49b083e7fffeaaeb1e9f3b93c0.jpg

Another great trip in the books. For the most part the weather was really good too. Out of six rounds it probably rained 6 holes.0b957f576984507abbac55fc369284fc.jpg
00c40acd11a8eaa8a1b07df813cc0dae.jpg

5cb42f1022ab912e8623917b697e3ea3.jpg11ddd737e3966609eebdd4caf2288e3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Alright!!!!
No pic with the shoe?  (either the Bandon shoe or "Shoe" at guest services?) I haz sad.

I know... week flew by and I forgot about that until the last day. By then I was just too tired and hung over to do anything.

Just now, ZB'Tejas said:

I know... week flew by and I forgot about that until the last day. By then I was just too tired and hung over to do anything.

Looks like it was a great trip.  Might be my favorite place on earth.

what's the going rate for some lessons here in Dallas?  Game has gone to crap and other than the driver and short game I'm hitting a lot of thin shots. More scooping than anything.  

I've attempted to self correct on the range and just not able to do so.  Sherrill Park is the closest track for me.  

In Florida I paid $750 for ten 1-hour lessons. Guy was otherwise $150/hr.

I took a lesson from one of instructors in lakeway a few years ago and his rate was $180/hr or $75 for 30-mins. I told him I saw a flaw in his plan.

23 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

what's the going rate for some lessons here in Dallas?  Game has gone to crap and other than the driver and short game I'm hitting a lot of thin shots. More scooping than anything.  

I've attempted to self correct on the range and just not able to do so.  Sherrill Park is the closest track for me.  

The guy that I work with here in Austin is $150/hr. Worth every fucking penny tho.

• Like 1

Don’t let@chitwood fool any of you, his game is closer than close. His 6 iron might end up in the Louvre some day.

Been meaning to post a few pics from the last couple bucket list rounds over the past 6 weeks.@BTW and I played Valhalla this past Tuesday for his 40th, and played Shadow Creek first week of March. Of the two, SC gets the nod as everything was perfect. From the drive in, to the service, to our forecaddie, to every inch of the course. Valhalla was incredible, but our forecaddie was meh and the course just recently opened from the winter and wasn’t in tip-top shape. It was still an awesome round, though.

I love this game. And I love it even more getting to play it with friends new and old.

Valhalla:
f96c0414cdf13472b9b0f323133de6dd.jpg
9b9448bc99a0bd4d823d81774529df43.jpg
af60a0524e5e362a464f510a03a8c4d2.jpg
5104e810066deb8bdceebe1b8cac6c18.jpg
f7cff2901edb4954d4684009c1d6f132.jpg
04b85996561a8741f20214462cccd856.jpg
5e206611d23ba197454e207b90b9a714.jpg
82e20b5781186e4cdc555eb979454e0c.jpg

Shadow Creek:
54430d0c5f5fb4422546fc162e3988fe.jpg
d4c8444f9c2b33d7cc863c44971ba358.jpg
23813291a1c769e9176a2cf76d5bf1bb.jpg
1e40d8e82c97e80d5d485d6b25c929ae.jpg
3290d5f31b326a0b33018bcd526f3b7f.jpg

• Like 3

Dominion Golf Group just sold to Arcis as of tomorrow. Includes Onion Creek, RiverPlace, Twin Creeks here in Austin.

Anyone a member at an Arcis course? Interested to see how this changes the club experience plus whether they have similar reciprocal playing benefits.

Explains why the dominion site has been down for nearly a month and no one returns my calls... Not good news for me, but Arcis seems to be a good management co.

Not good news? I got a letter from Arcis today saying they will be hosting some member focus groups and receptions in the next few months.

Not good news? I got a letter from Arcis today saying they will be hosting some member focus groups and receptions in the next few months.

Just for my business. I sell an app to private clubs and they went a different direction. For members, it’s likely an upgrade. They’ve got a fairly large network of clubs.

Have some of you “duffers” ever worked backwards golf? I was taught that in the 80’s for any par-4 and etc.

what is the total yardage and from the tee to the green, what club “comfortably gets you there”? The rest is up to chipping and putting!

It sounds so easy, but it is! Not all par-4s require a Driver or 3 Wood off the tee! It’s all about what yardage is needed for a “comfortable” approach on par 4’s. They are over 50% of the course! Scoring-wise, if you can squarely hit the ball, and a somewhat decent putter, you’ll always break “Bogey Golf”!!

I’ve told beginners and high school golfers, the same “secret” for decades, to include my son, but that’s NO FUN!

I’d rather have a 5-7 iron to the green, than chipping out sideways, having driven 280+!

I can go to 90% of courses and play bogey golf, or better. But that’s bland golf!

My son had to mow over the weekend, because his “fat, old Daddy can still beat him in an 18 hole round.

Mrs. MSU always says to let him win! I’m like F - No, he’s going to earn it, even if I’m in my 60’s!

They do make the little bastards play from the back tees in their HS tournaments, and he sees it at an advantage if I tee up more forward, so I tee with him!

He’ll only play forward if asked to play with others, over the weekend, but not if it’s just me!

For any “novice” player - chipping and putting is the key!! If you can get up and down for par or bogey, that’s the key to scoring in golf!

On 18 holes, if all were par-4s, it only takes two to get on in regulation, so subtract your next score from 36 and tell me that chipping and putting doesn’t count!

2 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Just for my business. I sell an app to private clubs and they went a different direction. For members, it’s likely an upgrade. They’ve got a fairly large network of clubs.

From what I've seen online they have a lot of benefits for Daily fee courses including memberships that give reduced playing benefits at various area courses. But I'm not sure what similar things they might have for private courses. 

It does sounds like they invest significant money into courses they buy to up level the quality and focus on non-golfing amenities as well so that's good.

43 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Have some of you “duffers” ever worked backwards golf? I was taught that in the 80’s for any par-4 and etc.

what is the total yardage and from the tee to the green, what club “comfortably gets you there”? The rest is up to chipping and putting!

It sounds so easy, but it is! Not all par-4s require a Driver or 3 Wood off the tee! It’s all about what yardage is needed for a “comfortable” approach on par 4’s. They are over 50% of the course! Scoring-wise, if you can squarely hit the ball, and a somewhat decent putter, you’ll always break “Bogey Golf”!!

I’ve told beginners and high school golfers, the same “secret” for decades, to include my son, but that’s NO FUN!

I’d rather have a 5-7 iron to the green, than chipping out sideways, having driven 280+!

I can go to 90% of courses and play bogey golf, or better. But that’s bland golf!

I subscribed to this theory for many years, but then abandoned it.  It presupposes two things which I now disagree with:

1)  I'm more comfortable with a 100yd shot than a 50yd shot (or some "comfortable full swing" vs a "2/3rds swing", etc.)

2)  I'm significantly more inaccurate with a driver/wood than a long iron.

If fairways were funnel shaped where the landing area decreases as you near the hole, there might be more validity to the 2nd point, but I just don't find that to be the case.  Other than green side bunkers, I am generally just as likely to find a good lie from 50 yards out as I am 100 yards out.  Plus, if I do mis-hit my tee shot, I'm still close-ish, whereas if I miss hit a long iron that I played conservatively off the tee, I'm not only out of position, but far out as well.

Perhaps technology has a lot to do with this discussion, too.  There is simply less risk in teeing it high and letting it fly than there was in the 80's.

And, it's a shit load more fun to pure a driver than it is an iron.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

I subscribed to this theory for many years, but then abandoned it.  It presupposes two things which I now disagree with:

1)  I'm more comfortable with a 100yd shot than a 50yd shot (or some "comfortable full swing" vs a "2/3rds swing", etc.)

2)  I'm significantly more inaccurate with a driver/wood than a long iron.

If fairways were funnel shaped where the landing area decreases as you near the hole, there might be more validity to the 2nd point, but I just don't find that to be the case.  Other than green side bunkers, I am generally just as likely to find a good lie from 50 yards out as I am 100 yards out.  Plus, if I do mis-hit my tee shot, I'm still close-ish, whereas if I miss hit a long iron that I played conservatively off the tee, I'm not only out of position, but far out as well.

Perhaps technology has a lot to do with this discussion, too.  There is simply less risk in teeing it high and letting it fly than there was in the 80's.

And, it's a shit load more fun to pure a driver than it is an iron.

The NLU podcast had a guy on last year who was either the inventor or is a current expert on the whole sabremetrics of golf (strokes gained, etc.)  One of the surprising takeaways (at least to me) was that generally speaking the best play (in terms of actual statistical results from tour players) is to get as close to the hole as possible (i.e., if you can hit a driver, hit it, and don't play to a yardage).

Perhaps I’m not the best counterpoint to that old adage because I go to the range 4-5 times a week, but I’m fairly certain if you gave me a target every ten yards from 50 to 150 yards out and asked me to hit a bunch of shots to each, there would be a fairly smooth, linear progression from most accurate at 50 yards to least at 150 yards. It would not be total shit, total shit, total shit, aces, total shit, total shit, etc.

• Like 1

I should’ve prefaced the “backwards golf” theory for those who consistently shoot in the upper 90s and above, and that’s quite a large % of golfers.

The whole premise is to find a “comfortable” iron to hit into a green, 7-PW, and go from there. The added emphasis is on scoring, which is chipping and putting!

I’ve dealt with teenagers “practicing“ at the range and you rarely see them in a practice bunker or chipping at the practice green. That’s where over 50% of your strokes add up, but no, it’s not as fun as beating balls from the tee.

With the current technology, backwards golf makes no sense. The closer you get to the green off the tee the better. Most courses are built with trouble at the 250-280 mark of the tee. Blow it past that and everything gets easier. 

Cool story time, but I played college golf the same time as tiger. We saw Stanford a few times and one of those was at the cougar classic in Provo. Riverside country club. Legit course. In 1996 Stanford won it with a score of 882. Last weekend that would have snuck you into 12th place. 42 shots out of first. And that 96 team had tiger, notah, Joel kribel...

The game is different now. Hit it as far as you can off the tee and get up and down. Driver, wedge, putter. Those are the 3 clubs that matter now. Shit, look at Mickelson. He has his clubhead speed higher than ever in his career. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pops said:

With the current technology, backwards golf makes no sense. The closer you get to the green off the tee the better. Most courses are built with trouble at the 250-280 mark of the tee. Blow it past that and everything gets easier. 

Cool story time, but I played college golf the same time as tiger. We saw Stanford a few times and one of those was at the cougar classic in Provo. Riverside country club. Legit course. In 1996 Stanford won it with a score of 882. Last weekend that would have snuck you into 12th place. 42 shots out of first. And that 96 team had tiger, notah, Joel kribel...

The game is different now. Hit it as far as you can off the tee and get up and down. Driver, wedge, putter. Those are the 3 clubs that matter now. Shit, look at Mickelson. He has his clubhead speed higher than ever in his career. 

Based on the post above yours, you’re advising upper 90’s players to “blow it past the trouble at 280”?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pops said:

Yeah, this is correct for good players, but not sure it applies to upper 90's shooters.

Have any of yinz ever purchased indoor putting green turf? I’m thinking about building a practice green in my garage but I have no idea where to get started or what to look for in respect to indoor turf. 

If I had to do it all over again, all I would want is a span of synthetic turf wide enough for me to take my stance on it with the ball in the middle (5’ wide perhaps?) and 12’ long with the hole center cut at 10’. I would want it to be a single piece (no seems) and perfectly level. I’d want it to run at 10ish, possibly with the ability to add/reduce sand to fine tune the speed.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

If I had to do it all over again, all I would want is a span of synthetic turf wide enough for me to take my stance on it with the ball in the middle (5’ wide perhaps?) and 12’ long with the hole center cut at 10’. I would want it to be a single piece (no seems) and perfectly level. I’d want it to run at 10ish, possibly with the ability to add/reduce sand to fine tune the speed.

I was picturing 4’ x 12’ with about 18” behind the hole, but if I’m going to want the ball in the middle maybe I need to go a little wider. I’ll have to measure my stance. 

Yep, I want to be standing fully on the surface to mimic the real thing. That was one of the drawbacks to many of the indoor systems I saw. Alternatively, perhaps a parallel piece next to one of those would work if I could easily move it up and down the track as I changed distances. This would have the side benefit of minimizing the putting surface flexing towards me.

I want a little bit of room behind the ball to see how much I roll out when I miss. 18” might suffice, but for those longer 10’ putts you might want a bit more as margin of error will increase.

On 4/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lurch said:

The sale has been in the works for quite some time. Great move by Arcis...I'll keep my thoughts on Dominion Golf Group to myself (some of you already know but let's keep it that way). Hopefully they pump some $ into OC, it's in need of a MAJOR clubhouse renovation among other things.

In other news...I forgot to post but a couple weeks ago I was got out to our Manchester Lane Testing Facility for a full fitting. We do all of our golf ball testing here, fit our tour players and the public can purchase their 1on1 fittings. Wow. Hard to describe. Might be the coolest place I've ever seen. Truly a special experience. New weapons arrived last week.

TS2 driver, TS3 3wood, H2 hybrid, AP2s 4-9, 46, 50, 54, 60 SM7s. The TS2 is stupid long.

If any of you are in the area, a fitting @ Manchester is an absolute must. 

Here's a video if you've never heard of/seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Hw9R7yB94

Edited by longhorn10

The sale has been in the works for quite some time. Great move by Arcis...I'll keep my thoughts on Dominion Golf Group to myself (some of you already know but let's keep it that way). Hopefully they pump some $ into OC, it's in need of a MAJOR clubhouse renovation among other things.

In other news...I forgot to post but a couple weeks ago I was got out to our Manchester Lane Testing Facility for a full fitting. We do all of our golf ball testing here, fit our tour players and the public can purchase their 1on1 fittings. Wow. Hard to describe. Might be the coolest place I've ever seen. Truly a special experience. New weapons arrived last week.
TS2 driver, TS3 3wood, H2 hybrid, AP2s 4-9, 46, 50, 54, 60 SM7s. The TS2 is stupid long.

I’d be interested to know (over DM)... the folks at the club from GM to Pro all had plenty to say about those owners so I was already soured on them.

Happy about a change and hopefully one for the better.

Did they have any Cape Cod hats?

On Monday my club is closed so usually go for a walk in the morning around the course and the rest of week I go at night.

I started noticing s bunch of balls lying around in weeds and water etc so I started picking up a few. Now I’ll take an 8 iron and hit some I find on various holes. Playing the 8 iron from the tee makes you hit various type shots and it’s s lot of fun. I started keeping the best balls and it feeds my girlfriends obsession with golf and let’s me play a bunch of good balls to see if I like them. I give her the colored ones.

Here is today’s haul, all brand new. One backyard ball, I only keep like new ones I find now.

ab85d6bef530f5bd15380d6b3d418595.jpg

f4fe68b6bc44310ad84a18dcc45fe0e3.jpg

• Like 1

Our club had demo day last Friday.  I was out there warming up on the range before my round and couldn't help but strike up a conversation with the ping rep.  I currently have the i20 irons which I have greatly enjoyed.  He encouraged me to hit the i210 and holy shit, I didn't realize the technology could be that much better after only ~5 years.  Pure is pure, but the misses were where the new club really stood out.   Needless to say, I had an impulse buy and PW-4i are on the way.  He also encouraged me to hit the driver and alas, I have a 9* G410 on the way as well.

• Like 1