2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

Spent an hour on the range just hitting everything flush. Was so much fun dropping balls on flags at 105, 120 and 135 that I never progressed to my longer clubs.

Really focusing on keeping my hands ahead at impact. Using a visual I found somewhere of palming a frisbee w my right hand and covering the ball with it, having it parallel-ish to the ground, my wrist towards the target and my fingers pointing away, then rotating my forearm counter clockwise and releasing that wrist at a point 45* in front of me on the target line

• Like 1

21 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

This year I'd appreciate more pics of good trips and home courses from everyone.  

On Jan 16th i'm going to go play Indian Wells,  Mission Hills and Desert Falls in Palm Springs.  I'll take some pics if anyone is interested.

Also, Taylor Made coming out with the M5 and M6 drivers, fairway and hybrid line.  Here are videos and pics from Golftec  on this new line.

https://goo.gl/jDX2pC

On Jan 16th i'm going to go play Indian Wells,  Mission Hills and Desert Falls in Palm Springs.  I'll take some pics if anyone is interested.
Also, Taylor Made coming out with the M5 and M6 drivers, fairway and hybrid line.  Here are videos and pics from Golftec  on this new line.
https://goo.gl/jDX2pC

Got a Titleist 818 H1 for Xmas. Needed a new 200-225 rescue type option.
Should I go in and wear out a bunch of others at Galaxy or just keep this one and learn to swing better?

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/New-Rules/summary-of-main/Summary of Main Changes_2019 Rules of Golf_FINAL.pdf

Here's a link to the major rules changes that went effective 1/1/2019.  My highlights are no opposite side relief on red staked water hazards (seems to come into play a lot where I play), no penalty for accidentally causing your ball to move (in most cases), embedded ball relief through the green, no TC Chen penalty, you can leave the flag stick in while putting, the new procedure for taking a drop (knee high), and you can repair spike marks on the green.  

The new rule for OB/lost ball has huge implications in my tourneys. Laying in fairway hitting 4 vs many guys previously hitting 2nd, 3rd or even 4th bad tee shot before even getting in play is a dramatic difference in scores in my flight.

19 minutes ago, Lurch said:

The new rule for OB/lost ball has huge implications in my tourneys. Laying in fairway hitting 4 vs many guys previously hitting 2nd, 3rd or even 4th bad tee shot before even getting in play is a dramatic difference in scores in my flight.

That's the optional local rule, correct?  I haven't heard if my club will adopt it, but I see no reason why they wouldn't.  And this is from the USGA's official comments to the new local rule:  "This Local Rule cannot be used for an unplayable ball, or for a ball that is known or virtually certain to be in a penalty area."  

So if you are virtually certain your ball is OB, you can't use the new local rule.

I wondered that, but if that's the case the official comment has no place in the commentary on the rule that, in that context, only applies to OB.

Edit:  You are correct.  Here is the text of the rule:  

Model Local Rule E-5

“When a player’s ball has not been found or is known or virtually certain to be out of bounds, the player may proceed as follows rather than proceeding under stroke and distance.

For two penalty strokes, the player may take relief by dropping the original ball or another ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3):

Edited by HouTex

Was planning on getting a full bag fitting this winter. Not necessarily unhappy with my clubs, but I feel like I'm leaving strokes on the table playing nearly 10 year old irons bought off the shelf, and a driver and 3 wood that are probably 4+ years old. Right now, Club Champion has a deal going with 50% off a full bag fitting. Is Club Champion Lewisville still a recommended place, or should I avoid it? 

I’m still a big advocate, but know going in that it can be real pricey.

Also, do what you can to prep a few weeks in advance so you can make one consistent swing. You don’t want to be working on anything when you go in.

Since I posted in the old thread...

I haven't been getting below 98 for a while now.  I went out saturday and shot a 95 and wasn't putting for shit.  I missed the following:

7 footer for birdie

6 footer for bogey

7 footer for par

5 footer for par

10 footer for par

10 footer for birdie

6 footer for birdie

5 footer for par

When you realize that pros make something like 70% of their puts under 8 feet then I could have been in the 89-91 range.  I used to be lights out under 6 feet but have been a little lost in the woods for about a year and a half when it comes to the green reading and stroke.  I got a putting mirror and am thinking about doing an aimpoint class to try and get it back.

Also, you can see by what I am putting for that there is no way my index should be 19.1.  I just am so damn inconsistent that I will have 4-5 pars in a round with 4 doubles and 4 triples.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:32 PM, brown water said:

I fired on that deal. Hit the range for a bit yesterday. Jury is out but it was cold and wet so a bit hard to get a great feel.  First impression is no distance gain relative to my old ping isi set.  One thing that most consider a plus is there are very straight. I was hoping for a bit more maneuverability.  Got the 311 xf 3-5 and 311 6-W. 

6y1qtf.jpg

Moving over from the 2018 thread.  PXG Gen1 are now $155 per club. 

I wasn't happy with mine after a few rounds and they set me up with their master fitter at Carlton Woods.  He recommended a different shaft and PXG is reshafting for $25 per club plus covering shipping both ways.  They probably would've done more but I didn't feel the need to press the issue.  Bit frustrating to be in for $175 + $25 + some extra hassle for what would be $155 is I started the process today - but what's a couple hundred bucks spread over the years of use...

If anyone is considering this, I'd recommend getting fit in advance.  Their site isn't clear but I think you can go to the fitter for specs and still get the online price.  

My Club Champion fitter mentioned that PXG clubs simply weren’t right for certain swings, including mine. I don’t recall what his criteria were, but remember him telling me some guys wanted them regardless and he had a hard time showing them improvements that weren’t shaft related.

I couldn't handle CW - not that I ever expect to have to make that choice.  But it's just too uptight. I don't need to be coddled and I couldn't go 100 yards without someone trying to give me a ride or offering assistance. I'm sure that's what the membership expects and everyone's just doing their job. Pro shop looked at me like I was crazy when I declined a shuttle over to the driving range which is maybe a 5 minute walk.  

8 minutes ago, Lurch said:

My Club Champion fitter mentioned that PXG clubs simply weren’t right for certain swings, including mine. I don’t recall what his criteria were, but remember him telling me some guys wanted them regardless and he had a hard time showing them improvements that weren’t shaft related.

I think the reshaft will make a huge improvement.  The originals (project x 6.5s I think) were too stiff at the grip. I couldn't feel the club head or the shaft flex.  We switched to DG x100 and on the test fit club it made all the difference. 

I'm not sure what the technical requirements would distinguish whether they're appropriate or not, but for me the aesthetic is high on my list and these look great.  I hit enough good shots even with the wrong shaft to feel pretty confident they will work out. 

I will check back in once their back from the factory.  Sadly that likely won't be before I head to Costa Rica for a long weekend with plans for a few rounds.  

We're back? Huge, if true.

Kidding....lots of buzz around HQ about it. I think we've finally broken through with the driver and it's helping big. J

ust wait until the new ProV drops in a couple weeks....

If any of you assholes in Massachusetts this year, let me know.

My new co stops twice everyday for a three hole putting contest through our office. The carpet roles at about a 15 and has some sneaky breaks. We putt with garage sale putters rather than anything similar to what we normally play.

I had just 29 putts yesterday, so it’s paying off!

Second round of the year and much improved over my 100 from last week.  88 with two triples.  I like the new rules.  I now get irritated when I see groups ahead of me taking the flag stick out/in/out in one hole.  And I'm ready for a drought in Houston.    

6 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Bunch of new clubs coming out soon, of course I will be looking at the new Taylormade driver which seems like a yearly purchase for me. Wanting new irons this year, but probably waiting until Titleist releases new ones around September. 

Try the TS2/TS3.