2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

My week:

Thursday - warm up round in KC at my home course. 

Friday - 1pm at Erin hills

saturday - 10am at Erin hills

Sunday - 720am at whistling straits 

going to be an epic Memorial Day weekend. Really hitting the ball well and my putter has come back. Need to really get my short game feel back before the trip. Going to spend every night around the greens this week. 

16 hours ago, Tommy Nobis said:

Is pine forest in Bastrop worth a shit or no? Trying to find something semi close to play near la grange this weekend.

I played there a lot from 94-97 and it wasn't bad then.

You're welcome.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, Tommy Nobis said:

Is pine forest in Bastrop worth a shit or no? Trying to find something semi close to play near la grange this weekend.

I love Pine Forest but am also a sucker for low key "hidden in the woods" courses. It's always been in good shape when I've played it. Not pristine by any means but playable and a unique layout. You definitely will enjoy the quietness and surroundings. 

In other news ... playing Woods Hole & Hyannisport Club (my better half is one of the pros here) this weekend. Should be a nice little weekend in Cape Cod. The weather is really starting to turn up here and it's absolutely fantastic.

Granted I’m a shitty 12-handicap golfer, but I don’t find repeatedly putting off greens and chipping onto a green only to watch it roll back to your feet very fun. Particularly in a tourney where you can’t just pick up and get a good laugh out of it. It was quite miserable, and I’m a pretty cheerful guy on the course.

I’ve heard this same thing, incredibly frustrating, buddy said number 8 was his favorite on that trip.

I'm heading to SoCal for some customer visits next week and will likely play Torrey Pines... anyone played recently? South Course under construction for upcoming US Open so wondering if the disruption is worth skipping and playing North instead.

On 5/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jhawk said:

My week:

Thursday - warm up round in KC at my home course. 

Friday - 1pm at Erin hills

saturday - 10am at Erin hills

Sunday - 720am at whistling straits 

going to be an epic Memorial Day weekend. Really hitting the ball well and my putter has come back. Need to really get my short game feel back before the trip. Going to spend every night around the greens this week. 

Let us know what kind of shape the courses are in and restaurant/bar recs. I'm going to be up there next week.

5/29 Wed - Erin Hill

5/30 Thur - Whistling Straits - Irish Course

5/31 Fri - Blackwolf Run - River Course

6/1 Sat - Whistling Straits - Straits Course

On 5/19/2019 at 9:27 AM, longhorn10 said:

Have fun playing the plates....not. Highly recommend going up a box and enjoying the round especially at Maridoe

That is comically long. 7834? Really? Why? What's the longest course on tour, 76-7700?

Alotian Club: Good golf course and in immaculate shape. Service is out of this world. Ridiculously good. Would definitely recommend. Fired 78 from the tips which are 7500. But it was cart trails only and zoysia fairways made it quite the test. 

Maridoe: played 18 from the plates. Played pretty well. 77. Then played in the one member 3 guest in the afternoon. Team finished 3rd. Much more manageable from true combo teams. Good golf course.

34 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Alotian Club: Good golf course and in immaculate shape. Service is out of this world. Ridiculously good. Would definitely recommend. Fired 78 from the tips which are 7500. But it was cart trails only and zoysia fairways made it quite the test. 

Maridoe: played 18 from the plates. Played pretty well. 77. Then played in the one member 3 guest in the afternoon. Team finished 3rd. Much more manageable from true combo teams. Good golf course.

Nice little week you're working on ...

One of my buddies from LCC was in the winning group.

Fresh of a Texas Four-Ball Amateur win.

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-golf-courses-ranking/amp

Was checking out the list. Thought it might be cool to see which courses people have played:

I’ve played: 

Alotion Club, Castle Pines, Pebble, Spyglass, Oak Tree National, Southern Hills, Prairie Dunes, Whispering Pines, Dallas National, Butler National, Shadow Creek, TPC Sawgrass

Others of note:

Karsten Creek, Isleworth, TPC San Antonio,  TPC Scottsdale

Have Bandon trip planned in February, so I’ll knock those 4 out. 

Edited by ocugolf
User error

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-golf-courses-ranking/amp
Was checking out the list. Thought it might be cool to see which courses people have played:
I’ve played: 
Alotion Club, Castle Pines, Pebble, Spyglass, Oak Tree National, Southern Hills, Prairie Dunes, Whispering Pines, Dallas National, Butler National, Shadow Creek, TPC Sawgrass
Others of note:

Wait a little longer and you can include the Sheep Ranch too. Might end up being the best of the courses at Bandon. It probably is the best piece of property.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

After just a quick look I think I’ve played only a handful. The Bandon courses, Sand Hills, Baltusrol (lower only so far) and Dallas National.

I’ve seen Sand Hills, haven’t gotten the chance to play it yet. Just driving around it unbelievable 

Back from Wiscy....  Erin Hills for two rounds and Whistling for one round. Here's my breakdown:

- Rained all day Friday so we bumped our round on friday afternoon to Saturday morning.  Played 36 that day.

- The grounds at Erin were unreal.  We stayed in a cabin for $1500 a night and it was worth it.  I think there were a total of 10-15 people staying on the grounds.

- We ate like kings, were served like kings, and everyone there was amazing.  They handled all bags, including laptop bags and luggage.

- Drinking was expensive there.  They really got us on getting drinks on the course and in the irish pub that is down from the clubhouse.

- 2 caddies, 2 bags each.  We tipped $100 per bag per round.  Our caddies (Franklin and Alex) had been out there for almost a decade each.  They work for the course and they are fucking good.  By the six hole Alex was handing me clubs.  He knew the lines and he knew my swing enough to do that.  After he gave me the line that led to a 30 foot bomb going in on the first hole I trusted him.  I would highly recommend asking for these two if you make the trip.  We were recommended them by a friend and they did not disappoint.

- The elevation changes in the fairways are dramatic.  I don't think you could use a cart there if you wanted to.  Walking really let us take it all in.

- I'm a 19 index but early in the year the fescue isn't out of control.  I lost 1 ball in each round.  The back side of the first round I went par, par, par, par, birdie.  With birdie chances on all 5 holes.  I shot a 95 both rounds. 

- When it was time to go they packed up all of our stuff into our car and we checked out.  Tabs were easy as they give you a card when you get there and you tab out at the end with a cc.

Whistling was a different animal.  At Erin they only let 150 golfers go through a day.  Whistling is trying to make money.  We found out that the caddies actually get a bonus based on how fast they get you through the round.  Further, the caddies work for a service and not for the course.  We had two guys here that had been at the course for 3 combined years.  One guy didn't even want to help read puts.  The fairway bunkers are designated wasteland unless there is a big even there.  So of the 967 estimated bunkers there only about 67 of them are raked.  They are 100% about pace of play and it showed, big time.  We never had a chance to take the course in.  I'd argue that if you removed that course from lake michigan I wouldn't pay more than $200 to play it.  I will say that playing 36 the day before made me run out of energy around hole 12 for this last round.  I think I shot a 99 but would have to go back and check.

All in all, I don't think I'll play another Kholer owned course.  Just too manufactured.  I'd rather take it all in if I'm going to be paying over $250 a round and that just wasn't allowed on their course.  Erin Hills might end up being my favorite course of all time based on the total package, but I've got about 40 years of golf left in me to find the next best course.

For the entire weekend, with buying stuff in the shops, food/drink, and flight,  I think I spent around $2500.  Well worth it but next time I would drop Whistling ($450 when it was all said and done) and add another night and round at Erin.

• Like 1

Lot of courses getting in another aerification soon if they havent already.  I know for Houston area that Cypress Lakes did one last week, Cypresswood Tradition where i was working did one Tuesday the 28th and Meadowbrook Farms in Katy where i start working at next week is scheduled for June 10.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:27 PM, LebongJames said:

Jhawk that is the complete opposite experience I had at Whistling Straights and Black Wolf. I don’t know if it was Memorial Day weekend but that sucks to hear.

One of our attorneys went to Black Wolf and Whistling about 4 weeks before I was up there and he said he had the exact opposite experience as well.  I think a large part of it was how good we had it at Erin Hills.  We dropped $1500 for the cottage on the grounds and had an entire day of just practicing and hanging out on the course.  Then 36 holes in one day, which is a lot when you're walking but we were all amped up.  By the time I got to Whistling I was dead by the 12th hole.  Also, because of the caddie situation on the first 2 rounds no caddie could compare at whistling.  Then finally, with them kind of moving us around the course quickly we didn't get to take it in like we did Erin.

Point still stands, if I go back up there I'd rather get a cheaper round at Erin and stay 2 nights there to get 3 rounds in.  Also, I went back and looked and shot a 104 at whistling.

Back on the course today in Tulsa.  Going to play this round and then take a short game lesson tomorrow morning with the pro.  I think if I really hone in on my short game to put balls within 5-8 feet from off the green then I'll drop at least 5 strokes off my game.

Escondido greens have been running slower than usual since they micro punched a few weeks ago, but they are bringing them back up to speed slowly. 

Played Escondido yesterday afternoon in 3 hours. Great experience. Greens were probably running 11-12 and pure.

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Greens were probably running 11-12 and pure.

Yeah. The chalkboard on the first tee had them listed as 11.5 over Memorial Day weekend. I went off without any practice strokes on Sunday and basically left everything short all day. It's crazy to call that slow, but compared to how they were running the last few months it was an adjustment. I need to mix in some rounds at the munis here in SA to remind me that not everything is glass.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:40 PM, ocugolf said:

I’ve played: 

Others of note:

Bandon, bandon trails, pacific, old Mac, gozzer, Black Rock, valley club, quarry, shadow, Olympic, LA CC. 

Can't believe black Rock is on that list. It is such a dumb course. 

4 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Finalized a set of Miura wedges. I had a 51 I bought last year, and picked up the 55 and 59 a few weeks ago. Shafted them with Modus wedge shafts (125). 3e1006d29e3a505343cda19628f21b05.jpgd013834e85649ad02720ad02c0d7d76e.jpg5feddf1a0ef84ea939745b8c588f0f61.jpgdb1ed6bc31aeff70fb0e99cf155d0100.jpgc0edfc82bfce611e84bdbaa73f802df6.jpg

Bad ass. How do you like the modus?  Do you have them in your irons?  I'm interested in that shaft. I don't like project x (feel terrible) or kbs (can't control the flight) so I've always gone back to the old reliable DG. But a buddy who had played DG's forever switched to the modus last year and loves them. 

Bad ass. How do you like the modus?  Do you have them in your irons?  I'm interested in that shaft. I don't like project x (feel terrible) or kbs (can't control the flight) so I've always gone back to the old reliable DG. But a buddy who had played DG's forever switched to the modus last year and loves them. 
I gotta admit they are smooth as hell! Crazy accurate. I hit the 51 degree on the range the other day, and had extremely tight dispersion. I have graphite Recoil shafts in my irons right now, and like them. Set before those had PX rifle. But I'm really tempted to go all Modus. Too big a pain to swap out graphite shafts, but my next set of irons will be Modus for sure.
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 10:40 PM, ocugolf said:

I’ve played: 

Others of note:

Pretty good read about a guy that played all 100 in a single  year. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-man-who-played-the-top-100-golf-courses-in-one-year-on-how-he-pulled-it-off-and-what-his-favorite-tracks-were

Edited by heso

On 6/2/2019 at 10:30 PM, ousuxndallas said:

I gotta admit they are smooth as hell! Crazy accurate. I hit the 51 degree on the range the other day, and had extremely tight dispersion. I have graphite Recoil shafts in my irons right now, and like them. Set before those had PX rifle. But I'm really tempted to go all Modus. Too big a pain to swap out graphite shafts, but my next set of irons will be Modus for sure.

Recoil shafts are on my list of upgrades for my irons.  Hit them at demo days and they were so smooth.

I had some recoil shafts in my Callaway apex irons and after I got fitted they moved me to Elevate Tour shafts. Much heavier and I have much better dispersion but it’s taken me a while to get used to the heavier shafts. I like the recoil however

• 2 weeks later...