2019 Golf Thread of Dominance

Lurch

Search feature not helping.

What's the advice on Bandon? Planning a last minute trip in August, just booked last room available. What's best order for playing courses? AM vs PM? Caddy or no? Food recs?

Bandon Dunes is the easiest walk. Trails is the hardest. I like playing Old Mac in the mornings because the wind can get ridiculous in the afternoon.

If you can get Surfer Dave he is a great caddie and can hook you up with good guys for other groups.

PM me and I can get you more details and suggestions. I’ve been out there a dozen times or more over the last 15 years.

Shot my best round ever yesterday. 86. 1 double and 1 par on the front with 16 putts. 5 pars on the back with one triple and 11 putts. 45/41 on a par 71. I’ve been struggling and got to a 19.8 index. Over the last 2 weeks it is coming together big time. I’ve really loosened my grip in my short game. Really practiced putting from 7-10 feet. I have gotten REALLY good at recovery with punch shots, low runners, and these awkward 120 yard 7 iron shots that keep me low but get me over small trees. I also swing about as slow as I can. 

The biggest thing, other than getting the breaks that I’ve never gotten, is the swing speed. I’ve played a few rounds now where I’ve never really gone after the ball and that makes a huge difference. I’m also very conscious in lining up every song shot using the something 12-18” in front of the ball as suggested here. And oh yeah... I’m playing a shitload. 

I think I’m going to grab some lessons because I’m still hitting a fade and a draw and it’s a little unpredictable. If my short game wasn’t as good as it has been I’d easily have shot mid 90s. I think my plan is to play out the season until August/September getting my swing consistent to a draw and then get fitted for new clubs. Play the last 2 months of the season with the new sticks and go into next year with momentum. 

• Like 2

Nice work!  Breaking 80 is squarely in your sights. 

Alignment is sooooo huge.  I'll occasionally purposefully misalign on the range to feel a bad alignment and its pretty wild to see how f'd up it makes my swing.

Have you recorded your swing before?  If so, you might find it interesting to see your old swing vs what you feel is the slow swing you've gone to.  My guess is that they're not wildly different in speed, but rather in sequence.  What we often feel as "fast and powerful" is actually just us improperly starting our downswing with our upper body rather than leading with the hips and letting everything else then follow.  When you tell yourself not to overpower a swing, you're relaxing up top and the proper sequencing occurs more naturally.  You then actually BUILD speed _through the ball_ rather than having wasted it all up top and having nothing to show for it once you reach the ball.  If you have a radar, you can test this yourself.  It's pretty cool to see.

I have one of these, but there may be better options out there now

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B0013L68A6/ref=asc_df_B0013L68A6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312140901746&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5259498339658688093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011564&hvtargid=pla-435223208069&psc=1

For me, the best indicator if I'm properly using my hips or not is how I finish.  When I swing properly, its virtually impossible for me not to finish with the club behind my hat (weight on outside of front foot, back foot up on toe, chest facing target or left of it and a bit towards the sky).  I don't even think about it as the momentum takes it all the way there, having reached peak speed somewhere in the 2' range after the ball.  When I swing with my upper body first, I don't have the momentum to get there as I reached peak speed probably halfway down to the ball and my hands and club will come to rest somewhere more in front of me

If you like watching instructor videos, I highly recommend topspeedgolf.  You can find a ton of free videos on youtube.  Clay is a badass teacher, for my style of learning at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

The biggest thing, other than getting the breaks that I’ve never gotten, is the swing speed. I’ve played a few rounds now where I’ve never really gone after the ball and that makes a huge difference.

Yep. At address I like to reassure myself that I have plenty of club and just need to swing easy. When I step up to the tee with the swing thought of "I am going to murder this ball" it doesn't always work out that way.

playing Kizer (Austin) this afternoon.  Game's been off the rocker lately so I have no idea what to expect.  I have no confidence with the driver right now and I'm fighting  a (big) 2-way miss.

Wear a condom. Kizer greens had full-blown aids a few weeks ago.

10 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Wear a condom. Kizer greens had full-blown aids a few weeks ago.

They still suck.  I went out there last night for the first time swinging a club in three months.  Guy at the desk gave me a weird look when I asked to get on Kizer.  At least he warned me.  I kept my putter in the bag all day.  They have pins in the best spot on each green, but it's all relative.  Still really, really bad.  Never seen Kizer look like that.

I was playing solo and hit 2-3 balls on every shot and really worked on chipping around the green.  Only time I pulled out the putter was on 14 when I got on in two.  No way I was going to not at least try to roll in an eagle.  

Nice work!  Breaking 80 is squarely in your sights. 
Alignment is sooooo huge.  I'll occasionally purposefully misalign on the range to feel a bad alignment and its pretty wild to see how f'd up it makes my swing.
Have you recorded your swing before?  If so, you might find it interesting to see your old swing vs what you feel is the slow swing you've gone to.  My guess is that they're not wildly different in speed, but rather in sequence.  What we often feel as "fast and powerful" is actually just us improperly starting our downswing with our upper body rather than leading with the hips and letting everything else then follow.  When you tell yourself not to overpower a swing, you're relaxing up top and the proper sequencing occurs more naturally.  You then actually BUILD speed _through the ball_ rather than having wasted it all up top and having nothing to show for it once you reach the ball.  If you have a radar, you can test this yourself.  It's pretty cool to see.
I have one of these, but there may be better options out there now
https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Sensors-Swing-Speed-Radar/dp/B0013L68A6/ref=asc_df_B0013L68A6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312140901746&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5259498339658688093&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011564&hvtargid=pla-435223208069&psc=1
For me, the best indicator if I'm properly using my hips or not is how I finish.  When I swing properly, its virtually impossible for me not to finish with the club behind my hat (weight on outside of front foot, back foot up on toe, chest facing target or left of it and a bit towards the sky).  I don't even think about it as the momentum takes it all the way there, having reached peak speed somewhere in the 2' range after the ball.  When I swing with my upper body first, I don't have the momentum to get there as I reached peak speed probably halfway down to the ball and my hands and club will come to rest somewhere more in front of me
If you like watching instructor videos, I highly recommend topspeedgolf.  You can find a ton of free videos on youtube.  Clay is a badass teacher, for my style of learning at least.

I second this on Clay Ballard, he’s awesome and goes into great detail on each drill and swing sequence.

I’m currently working on something he teaches which is making sure my stable fluid spine maintains the tilt back from the target instead of straight up and down or worse tilting towards the larger like a lot of amateurs.

I’m a 5.8 as of this writing and the thing I battle is a hook or pull. The cause of this is my not always maintaining my spine tilted away from the target at impact which leads to pulls.

I played nine yesterday after work and didn’t hit a single hook. I did leave some shots out to the right but also hit a lot dead straight. It will take some practice but I’m excited about taking that hook out of my game so I can get to that next level

I thought I'd be smart and play Clay in the past month or so since Kizer's greens went to shit.  Now Clay's greens are in the same state.  Not sure what the fuck they're doing out there, but I've played 3-4 different courses in the past month that all had fantastic looking putting surfaces.  Looks like take-all root rot or something and that's unfortunate because I don't think any combination of fungicides will fix it.

If you pair their greens on both courses with the divot minefield they call a driving range - there's literally no reason to even go to Clay/Kizer anymore.  That range gets completely obliterated within a few hours of them moving the ropes.

Edited by krevo

6 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Yep. At address I like to reassure myself that I have plenty of club and just need to swing easy. When I step up to the tee with the swing thought of "I am going to murder this ball" it doesn't always work out that way.

Followed up my best round ever (3rd ever round below 90) with an 88. Was +2 thru 5 on the back and finished triple-triple-double. Could have easily been an 86 or better. 

I’ve got a couple of things to work on that are clear but I think I’ve figured out how to keep my head in the game. 

Whoa. Did the even charge you to play? I’ve walked off course that didn’t have sand in the bunkers for a full refund. I would have shit on the pro shop floor if they charged to play that shit. 

Edited by Jhawk

Played again today. Didn’t play well. Lipped out 5 times and still shot a 93. No birdie chances. Amazing feeling to play terrible and shoot your 3rd lowest round of the year. 33 putts when I typically have less than 30 in a round. Two 3 putts. 

Loved playing in Tahoe when I lived up there in 2008.  Old Greenwood (Jack Course) in Truckee was the place I knew the starter.  Played Edgewood a couple of times.  It's one of those courses where the ball just goes and goes because of the altitude.

On 7/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, DDD Dad said:

My last two rounds have been in the 70’s with 36 putts each.

Doh!

My business partner shot a 95 with FORTY FOUR putts a week or so ago.  I've never heard of anyone going over 38 putts.  44 is practical joke bad.  He had to have been putting with Happy Gilmore's hockey putter or something.

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

My business partner shot a 95 with FORTY FOUR putts a week or so ago.  I've never heard of anyone going over 38 putts.  44 is practical joke bad.  He had to have been putting with Happy Gilmore's hockey putter or something.

I shot 81 with 36 putts once.  Some stuff you never forget.

Edited by hacker
*wrong # of putts

17 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I had consecutive rounds last season with 43 and 45 putts. The round with 45 putts was a 95 that included 7 GIR and 9 three putts. I put that putter into the basement closet and have not touched it since. 

Edited by heso

3 hours ago, heso said:

I had consecutive rounds last season with 43 and 45 putts. The round with 45 putts was a 95 that included 7 GIR and 9 three putts. I put that putter into the basement closet and have not touched it since. 

Wow. I probably average 30-31 putts per round. I couldn’t imagine 3 putting more than 2-3 times in a round. I’d lose my mind. Last year I averaged around 35 putts per round and I was pissed at myself. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Wow. I probably average 30-31 putts per round. I couldn’t imagine 3 putting more than 2-3 times in a round. I’d lose my mind. Last year I averaged around 35 putts per round and I was pissed at myself. 

I certainly wasn’t happy about it. I average around 35, so 10 over that made for a long day. 

Played in a charity tournament at Stonebriar Country Club. Course is in great shape and greens are true and FAST, but I like fast greens. I made several 15 ft putts and one that was probably 25 ft. Course is pretty hard and the pin placement was about as difficult as I've seen on any course. Not sure why it was set up for that difficulty for a charity tournament other than maybe the winning prizes were really nice, not just some gift cards of drivers/putters. 

However, it was what they called a cha-cha scramble. Never heard of it but you play best ball on the drive then play your own ball from there. The foursome will score the best 2 scores on par 4s, best 3 scores on par 3s and best 1 score on par 5s. Now, I find the concept interesting and different but this tournament had 36 teams and didn't start till 10am with the high temp of 93 degrees. Since everyone played their own ball after the best drive, it was basically like playing a normal foursome. So, it ended up being a 6+ hour round in the F'ing heat of the day. What was to be lunch ended up being basically early dinner, which most people were so damn hot not many people ate. Maybe on a cooler day or a smaller amount of teams it would be a good format, but a typical scramble would have been better. 

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I think strokes around the green is more telling. Is the guy who misses the green on most all of his approaches and gets to chip it close a better putter than the guy who hits a lot of GIRS but has a lot longer putts than guy #1?

That’s me. Probably 2-4 GIR per round but my short game is getting very soft. I do make a lot of 8-12 footers though. 

My green reading has always been good but when I really focused on good contact and used the arrow on the pro V to line up my shots my putting took off.  My favorite drill is to work the clock around a pin on the practice green. 3, 6, 9 feet away at the 3-6-9-12 positions. 

On 7/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, hacker said:

I shot 81 with 36 putts once.  Some stuff you never forget.

I probably had my best ever round driving the ball on Sunday. Only hit one bad one all day. Missed two more fairways by a few feet. Everything else was splitting the middle. I also chipped decently and hit a few irons close on the back 9. But aside from making two four footers for birdie, my putting was absolutely atrocious. 39 total on my way to an 47/40. It's maddening cause Thursday's round was the exact opposite scenario (in a two-man scramble with my dad I couldn't find a fairway but was sinking putts). Shit like that makes me want to go out and actually practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hacker said:

I hear ya. Maybe I should go to the practice green some instead of the range

That's the thing. If show up 20 minutes before a round I'll spend 15 of it on the green. I usually stretch, hit 3-4 wedge shots, a couple 7-irons and a couple drivers then head over to putt. My problem lately with putting has been leaving it short so I said to myself none of that on Sunday. I probably should have known that meant I'd knock every lag 10 feet past the hole.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, ocugolf said:

Golf trip at the end of September in St George Utah:

Entrada

Sand Hollow

The Ledges

Coral Canyon

Wolf Creek in Mesquite 

Have an extra day, anywhere else I should play?

I'd play sky mountain. It isn't the greatest course, but the views on the last few holes are some of the best anywhere. 

I'd also swap the ledges for green springs. I just don't like that course, and if green springs is in good shape it is really really good.  

Entrada is supposed to start a major redesign soon. Not sure when. But they have mcklay-kidd doing it. They are also building another 18. Weiskopf is designing it. 

I love it down there. Have fun. 

Played four ball in my club’s intramural Ryder Cup format event today. Skunked it around and was down 4 after 5 holes. Didn’t contribute until I hit a high fade 3 wood 215 into wind on par 3 7th for a conceded birdie. Even so we fell behind to 5 down by the turn.

Though up and down from bunker on 11 to stay 5 down and then we started to make some progress. We got it to 2 down by 15 but would be giving strokes to the other team on 17 and 18.

They had us dormie on 17 but I made my first eagle ever on the hole to stay alive.

Partner drained par putt on 18 to halve the match.

Tomorrow is singles.

• Like 2

Got out 4 times over the end of the week. Had a new personal best 85. 30 putts. Had 5 straight one putts. On the front I hit 5 greens. Only hit 1 on the back.

With the revision today I’m down to a 15.5. Which means I’ve shaved off 5 strokes on my 132 slope course since the June 15th revision. 

On the tee sheet for 3 rounds this week before taking the weekend off at the lake. 

As a counterpoint to jhawk’s nice round, I shot a 90 with 39 putts. 22 putts on the back. Hit 12 fairways. I gave myself back to back eagle putts and walked away with par on both holes. I’ve never had more fun driving the ball. Just crushing it down the fairway. And then took a big wet shit on the greens. 

Edited by heso